Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: [50.01] All Races Playable mod  (Read 120269 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: [47.03] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2020, 07:46:06 pm »

For anyone who is running into issues with this mod - it's an easy fix. Rather than uploading a copy of Lovechild's mod, I'll just post how to fix it here.

Download a fresh copy of the mod.
Open entity_default.txt.
Scroll down to "[ENTITY:EVIL]"
Change "[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:0]" to "[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100]"
Remove "[PERMITTED_JOB:FISH_CLEANER]"

Save and install as normal. First world I generated had all 4 races playable, no crashes either.

Further information on this bug can be found here.

Krutzelpuntz

• Bay Watcher
  • [CHILD:64]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2020, 08:23:51 am »

Spoiler: delphonso quote #1 (click to show/hide)
I had this problem too, I have yet to get a world with playable goblins. Don't know what is wrong, but most world do have goblins as neighbors.
Just can't play as them.

Spoiler: delphonso quote #2 (click to show/hide)
This did not work for me either, game kept crashing at year 0.
Any other ideas how to fix this?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2020, 09:11:59 am »

I have gotten a few crashes after longer testing, but only 1 every ten or so worlds. I always play pocket sized, though, which probably has something to do with it.

I would dig further into that bug report and see if there are additional fixes people have made. It is almost 100% contained in the goblin raws.

Artwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:24 pm »

My First post ever!
First of all, thanks for this mod.
Got this mod to play as elves; the radicalism of their ways was infuriating at first, but while exploring this gameplay a necromancer started to devour all the island, and now I'm hooked by this new challenge. You can "dodge" trees in a heavily forested area building tall and not so wide towers and wide open roofs way above them; kinda like you're making a giant tree yourself. It is interesting. But somehow, elves are unable to sell their own grown wood to other elves or worse: they can't make quivers.
I can understand not selling wood items as a matter of supply and demand, but the absence of quivers is... weird. We always expect elves to be bowmasters. This is somewhat game breaking: ranged fortifications hanging from the trees would be my salvation. My giant bears ended up killed before I could pile their numbers, and now wooden clad warriors are the last line of defence in this small world.
Got two quivers: one from an enemy a bear killed, other from a kinda bugged imigrant, with ambusher skill. LNP's labormanager was unable to deactivate it, but manual worked normal.
Only two archers. May the forces of the forest bless us.

theblacksquid

• Escaped Lunatic
  • When in doubt, magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2020, 03:48:44 pm »

First off, I want to thank you for this awesome mod, I barely play DF without it as I love playing as filthy Humies too much.

One gripe I have, albeit small, is that humans don't seem to have the ability to process Bituminous Coal and Lignite into coke, and  always have to edit the raws myself for them. Is this intentional?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:20 am »

My First post ever!
First of all, thanks for this mod.
Got this mod to play as elves; the radicalism of their ways was infuriating at first, but while exploring this gameplay a necromancer started to devour all the island, and now I'm hooked by this new challenge. You can "dodge" trees in a heavily forested area building tall and not so wide towers and wide open roofs way above them; kinda like you're making a giant tree yourself. It is interesting. But somehow, elves are unable to sell their own grown wood to other elves or worse: they can't make quivers.
I can understand not selling wood items as a matter of supply and demand, but the absence of quivers is... weird. We always expect elves to be bowmasters. This is somewhat game breaking: ranged fortifications hanging from the trees would be my salvation. My giant bears ended up killed before I could pile their numbers, and now wooden clad warriors are the last line of defence in this small world.
Got two quivers: one from an enemy a bear killed, other from a kinda bugged imigrant, with ambusher skill. LNP's labormanager was unable to deactivate it, but manual worked normal.
Only two archers. May the forces of the forest bless us.
You can add reaction of making cloth quiver.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2021, 12:53:03 pm »

Hey! I'm sorry for the long absence. I've updated the mod for 47.05.

Download

Goblins don't crash the game anymore, and elves can make cloth quivers at the Craftsman's Workshop.

First off, I want to thank you for this awesome mod, I barely play DF without it as I love playing as filthy Humies too much.

One gripe I have, albeit small, is that humans don't seem to have the ability to process Bituminous Coal and Lignite into coke, and  always have to edit the raws myself for them. Is this intentional?

This is intentional, as human don't have that ability in vanilla DF. But it's easy to change yourself (for anyone wondering: open raw/objects/entity_default.txt, scroll down to [ENTITY_PLAINS], and add [PERMITTED_REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE] and [PERMITTED_REACTION:LIGNITE_TO_COKE]).
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Haethei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2021, 02:40:06 am »

I like this mod. Very vanilla. After playing for a while with Elves I've found some things that were problematic or weird so I'd like you to consider them.

1. Elves live forever in vanilla DF. Sounds cool, but my migrants were often 200-300 years old which means they were Legendary in every skill they came with. In fact, most of my elves were somehow even older than the age of the World they were in (125 years). For balance reasons you may want to limit their lifespan, but I guess it's up to you if you want to keep it more vanilla and full of weird side effects like that. It's a very easy edit in the raws so I guess people who know how to modify raws can change it, but it's good to know before you start an elf fort. Maybe it's a good trade-off considering they can't hide underground like dwarves and have to fight with wooden gear.

2. Wooden gauntlets have the infamous "ambidexterous" gauntlet bug. When you use a modded reaction to make gloves, they aren't properly created, making versions that don't say "left" or "right" which means you cannot use them. There is a fix with a DFHack script called "autofixhandedness", you can learn more about this by searching for that word in the DF Modding forum. It just involves putting a script in your dfhack folder and modifying an init file to run it

3. It took me a while to figure out how to make buildings. You need a Craftsman workshop to make wood from seeds, but you need wood to actually build the workshop first. It didn't seem like I could embark with any grown wood, and I didn't want to embark with normal wood as an elf because it's not immersive. Eventually I learned that you can destroy the starting wagon for some logs to get you started. Perhaps you can find a way to let us embark with grown wood logs?

4. Getting seeds is tricky, but possible. There are 3 ways to make seeds: brewing, milling and plant processing. I just did processing for a while but it ended up being too slow after I ramped up production, so I started brewing. These are okay but I personally would like to see a "wooden millstone" added because elves can't make millstones or querns to do any milling. This would allow them to use more plants for cooking (flour and sugar), and even some dyes (emerald, red and black dyes are from above-ground plants). Up to you if you'd like to add those features.

5. Elves get a mood penalty when they have to drink water without a well, but I was unable to make a well because I couldn't channel a hole in the brook I embarked on. You have to channel a hole on a brook to use a well there, but I couldn't do any mining. They were just stuck with the mood penalty. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, maybe tell people in the readme that they should embark on a large river, not a brook, as those have open water you can use a well on.

Like I said, I'm enjoying this mod, thanks for working on it and keeping it updated :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2021, 07:51:41 am »

I like this mod. Very vanilla. After playing for a while with Elves I've found some things that were problematic or weird so I'd like you to consider them.

1. Elves live forever in vanilla DF. Sounds cool, but my migrants were often 200-300 years old which means they were Legendary in every skill they came with. In fact, most of my elves were somehow even older than the age of the World they were in (125 years).

No different really to the immortality that goblins experience or long lived dwarves being highly in tune with craftmanship, practically it might make coupling them together harder because of the 10 year gap requirement. Before, but generally the number of over-experienced elves will decline with more tumultous worlds with wars and giant beast attacks going-on.

2. Wooden gauntlets have the infamous "ambidexterous" gauntlet bug. There is a fix with a DFHack script called "autofixhandedness"

~snip~

4. Getting seeds is tricky, but possible. There are 3 ways to make seeds: brewing, milling and plant processing. I just did processing for a while but it ended up being too slow after I ramped up production, so I started brewing. These are okay but I personally would like to see a "wooden millstone" added because elves can't make millstones or querns to do any milling. This would allow them to use more plants for cooking (flour and sugar), and even some dyes (emerald, red and black dyes are from above-ground plants). Up to you if you'd like to add those features.

All races playable mod is a great mod to just play on its own, or a framework to build other mods off because essentially its a fluid entrance to accessing all vanilla game entities and a friendly way to introduce players to alternative styles of play. Most of these suggestions are relatively simplistic additions a person could do themselves with a bit of guidance and Notepad++ (for the dfhack bits)

3. Perhaps you can find a way to let us embark with grown wood logs?

You can cheat again by using DFhack script that can convert regular wood (wagon wood etc, bought wood) into normal wood in much simpler terms by altering the base material and switching a internal flag to "grown". Or in non-dfhack raws, convert it into a inorganic stone or otherwise log (which 'grown' objects are usually labelled as inorganic anyway, while being true-wood.)

5. Elves get a mood penalty when they have to drink water without a well, but I was unable to make a well because I couldn't channel a hole in the brook I embarked on. You have to channel a hole on a brook to use a well there, but I couldn't do any mining. They were just stuck with the mood penalty. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, maybe tell people in the readme that they should embark on a large river, not a brook, as those have open water you can use a well on.

Alcohol still is as competitive in elf-fort as it is dwarf-fort, because you can bleed off your excess seeds and fufill a few alcohol needs (and upkeep a tavern to attract people in metal armor) in the meantime, or as a trading commodity for plants that can grow in your biome with the humans to expand your variety with valuable brews like sunberries. Aboveground cisterns via the wooden pipes and corkscrews to build screw-pumps in stacks are also a option, by laddering a water-source betwen constructions until the depth is 2 without making any alterations to the surroundings, here's a diagram, the hard-bit of a screwpump is fluid-tight.

A drinking zone will also stop elves running off to unsuitable water sources to wash too. (i only defined the bottom bit of as a wall, because if it overhangs you could put a bridge there to trail off water/irrigate/trap defence?)

%%~~▒ 
   %%~▒▒~~▒
~~~▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 07:54:17 am by FantasticDorf »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2021, 07:46:15 pm »

Thanks for the update, Lovechild! Love this mod!

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2022, 12:36:47 pm »

I want to point out a problem of my own making. I tried to make the elves dig, so I added to their section of entity_default.txt [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] like it was for the other races. The world is generated as normal, Legends Mode works fine, but when I embark, it crashes. Is there any way to mod back digging for the elves for those of us interested? Sorry, but I can't imagine playing a Dwarf Fortress game without digging, I'll have to just go human whenever I use this mod (goblins disgust me and nothing anyone is going to tell me will change that).

Another issue is that I started this game as human in an already generated world and only replaced the content of the archive in the save file. Everything worked perfectly until I entered the nobles screen, which was a blank black page. Was this ever considered, that someone would put the contents of the archive only in the save file on an already generated world and it could still function? Only on the reread of the original post did I realize I was supposed to generate the world with the modification already introduced.

1. Elves live forever in vanilla DF. Sounds cool, but my migrants were often 200-300 years old which means they were Legendary in every skill they came with. In fact, most of my elves were somehow even older than the age of the World they were in (125 years).
This caught my attention. This may very well happen with vanilla worlds playing vanilla dwarves because they're "one of the only ones of their kind". Going to Legends Viewer, you'll see that their birth date is situated hundreds of years "BC" (before creation, I'd like to call it) and that birth date doesn't change however many times you separately extract an XML from a world, even if it's from a different save.

Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2022, 05:30:11 pm »

I want to point out a problem of my own making. I tried to make the elves dig, so I added to their section of entity_default.txt [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] like it was for the other races. The world is generated as normal, Legends Mode works fine, but when I embark, it crashes. Is there any way to mod back digging for the elves for those of us interested? Sorry, but I can't imagine playing a Dwarf Fortress game without digging, I'll have to just go human whenever I use this mod (goblins disgust me and nothing anyone is going to tell me will change that).

ITEM_WEAPON_PICK is specifically a metal tool, because the inorganic metal materials (like copper and iron) utilize [ITEMS_WEAPON] probably leading to the reason it crashed if nothing else. Elves can't dig (miner job), nor smith (furnace operator processing ores) with the files the mod provides so it had a uncompletable item. You could mod a particular type of stone only accessible by elves to be [ITEMS_WEAPON] to prevent it appearing elsewhere, but they probably wont bring it in sieges because of the wood weapons and armor preferences.

A roundabout way of providing the same equipment made out of wood for elves, would be to create a manual reaction for making a wood pick (a pick does not have to be sharp to cut stone, but will be hilariously ineffective in combat unless the creature bruises easily or is very brittle). When it comes to axes however you'd need a material with a sharpened edge since that is checked for treecutting.

Another issue is that I started this game as human in an already generated world and only replaced the content of the archive in the save file.

Odd fringe case, but saves don't have alterable RAW's since they're meant to be peer-to-peer sharable in a intact way that i could run a ARP save from the DFFD and play it in vanilla dwarf fortress without any extra downloads, this is the same across fortress mode and adventure mode, (almost) every alteration to the code settled on world generation.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [50.01] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2022, 01:29:17 pm »

This mod has been updated for the new version, and is on the Steam Workshop!

Rato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2022, 02:44:41 pm »

Can you post mod somewhere else for Itch users?

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2022, 03:27:08 pm »

Oh sure, here is a file download. Extract it into your mods folder.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14