Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 35869 times)

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress from Scratch v .40.x

Current raws: 264 kb vs Vanilla’s 3.08 mb

Hello!  I bet you are probably wondering what this is.

This is DF "from scratch". We start with a vanilla version of DF, delete all raws with their creatures and bodies and templates and materials, and build an entire new player-made universe by hand.

One full of player-made creatures and all-new mechanics, hand-built from contributor to contributor from the body templates and language symbols up to entire new dwarf civilizations and untold realms of possibility.

>>Click Here to View DFFS: Sci-fi<<

>>Click Here to View DFFS: Fantasy<<

DFFS Sci-fi ia a totally fresh creation for V .40, placed in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war placed on a distant mining world called 'THX 1138' by the interstellar corporations who covet it's rich and bizarre resources, while simply called Terra Nihalgai by the local tribal inhabitants. This version is unrestricted to just 14th century high fantasy, and much else other than a balanced experience.

DFFS Fantasy is a port of the work done by Halfling and contributors of the original DFFS thread. It is a world governed by the Greater Creators; competitive gods gone mad with power, constantly creating form to the world and it's inhabitants to better understand the mechanics of the cosmos, and sometimes solely for their pure amusement.   

For Modders

For those returning, this DFFS will be a bit different from version .34. This game will NOT be turn based. You do not need to upload anything individually anymore. The whole project is now hosted on Google Drive to keep things easy to access and edit. The privileges are set up so anyone can contribute to the game, at any time, with anything, right down to a Chromebook. 

To access the folder and start contributing, first

then

Since we are editing text files and not google doc files I cannot recommend this highly enough:

(click here for a handy Chrome native text editor)

It’s a simple text editor, but for our needs it will be more than fine. Now you can open text files and save them to the project on the cloud with a ctrl-s as if you were using a local version of Windows Notepad. And if you still want to use Windows Notepad, that's fine too. Just upload the entire .txt file into the 'objects' folder from your local computer files. Easy!

Spoiler: Rules for Modders (click to show/hide)

For Players
Just want to play the mod? Alright! Just click here:

>>Click Here to Download<<

While you are playing, if you could you write some reports on your experience and post them in this thread? That would help out immensely. We modders, well, sometimes get lost in the code, sometimes and we need all the eyes we can to find gameplay positives, quirks, and problems. All you have to do? Please open the changelog and put the version number somewhere in your post. This is crucial to crushing bugs.

attn modders: The Google Drive will always be the most up to date project version.

The mod works with all versions of DF v .40 and works with all platforms: Windows, Mac, and linux. (At least until the newest version of DFHack comes out, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.)

Spoiler: Fanart (click to show/hide)

If you just want to chat about the project, why not come down the the dedicated IRC? This for sure is the best way to get in touch with me and I am guaranteed to be on from  7:00 PM to 11:PM Pacific Time.

Now I’m going to be honest, I’m entrusting a lot a power and a lot of tools to this community, and a lot of freedom. I believe you can handle it, because you are the most awesome, smart, driven community i’ve ever seen.

Be assured, I have a lot of tools at my disposal to monitor, revert, and restore everything and I pledge my full support to moderate this project to the best of my ability, your hard work isn't going to be destroyed or lost in the void any time soon. If you think something is amiss or could be done better, please, don't hesitate to drop by the IRC so I can rectify it.

Last but not least, Credits!

This mod was made possible by Community members like:

DrTaco
Lost in Nowhere
Cerapter
Gnorm
lord_lemonpie
cyberTripping

Remember; it's more productive to throw things in than to ask for permission around here. Be bold and have fun.

((This top post can be edited by the community, as with everything else))

page v 1.3
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:42:26 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I think Github would probably be a better idea for this...

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile

It continues.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Video maker signing in, waiting to produce lowquality youtube videos.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think Github would probably be a better idea for this...

Yeah, it's another good option. I have my reservations though because the last one went the github route and things got rocky. The last thread and I just wanted to experiment with this first, though, and give it a shot.

And hey, if this plane's wings fall off and the whole thing explodes in a fireball, there's nothing stopping putting the project back up on Github again. 

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile

Yes! The insects' reign of terror shall persist! All shall bow down before the indomitable might of Phylum Arthropoda!
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might lend a hand to this project again. I think that I will start from scratch (again) though, instead of updating my old stuff.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile

Let the games begin.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:29:09 pm by DrTaco »
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Let's save some time and keep halfling's materials/tissues/bodyparts. They worked very well and converting most creatures without them would be a headache.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah! First contributor!

Thank you, DrTaco. Every journy starts with the most humble step, and I don't think we would have gotten very far without dirt at all :)

@ Hugo

Okay, I'll throw them in first thing in the morning.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:57:13 am by DVNO »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In fact, let's take the most recent raws, throw em' in, and see what the errorlog says. AFAIK creatures need only gaits, adjustments to attacks, and optionally some vision arc and smell stuff to make them work. Body parts and weapons have some new tokens, and weapons need the new attack information (just ready/recover times, though.) Plants must be redone entirely.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm let's see what happens if I put the latest .34 raws in 40.3
. . .

The old game files don't crash immediately when given RCP.txt,

it complains about missing creature tokens

and it constantly spams

Code: [Select]
go baby!

usz: 0

post baby

post clean

go baby!

I have /never/ seen that error before, so . . . I don't even have a single clue how to fix that one so you'd be on your own. I dunno, we can try to port everything over instead of starting from scratch again. THere are going to be some crazy unforeseen problems trying I can already tell, but we could do it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The "Go Baby!" thing is a dev thing Toady accidentally left in and runs whenever you go into a game mode in 40.3

Missing tokens are easily fixable. Which ones do you see?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read through about 260 pages of the previous thread only to find a link to this new thread at the end. Nevertheless, 3 days well spent. Also made me register here, just to tell you guys how awesome you have been so far.

I'd join, and I think my previous coding experiences might help me with some of the stuff here, and I've been analysing the .txt files, problem is, I cannot play DF at all.
Might learn to play just for this...
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile

I'll probably contribute to this. Seeing as there is no time constraint, that will avoid the issue I had last time...
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18