Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 35894 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

For those returning, this DFFS will be a bit different from version .34. This game will NOT be turn based.
Just sayin'

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Oh, so we just add stuff directly?

Even better!

Now let's see... five tentacled aliens that turn into trees... tiny swarming predators...  parasitic vermin...

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sooo, I fixed the Amberjacks so that they actually spawn.
As in, gave them genders, biomes and standard fish stuff like [VERMIN_GROUNDER][VERMIN_FISH][AQUATIC][SMALL_REMAINS][FISHITEM][IMMOBILE_LAND][VERMIN_NOTRAP][NATURAL].

And I generated a world with 125 years of history...
Outdoor Animal Populations (Including Undead)
   1105 pain elementals
   1013 butterfly hounds
   165 widow in whites
   33151 amberjacks
Mind if I give them a maxage of, say, 10 years?

EDIT: Screw it, they reproduce as if the end of the world is tomorrow. Uploadin'.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:14:34 am by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Dretch

The Dretch are a hive like society that lives in the dark crevices of the mountains. They are insect in nature, and have a black, smooth chitinous head flanked by two enormous fish-lensed, milky white eyes. They have eight limbs: Two arms, four quadruped legs, and two wings. Like rainbow dogs, the film of the wings give off a multi colored refracted effect when glistening in the cavern light. Their most unique trait comes from a common mental link they have to one another in large crowds. This 'link' makes them very empathetic to their own race and generally makes them dislike all others, as not simply reading another races exact thoughts on subjects unnerves and agitates them.

Let this not lead you to assume, however, that their society is a utopian single minded hive. The Dretch still maintain a degree of individuality, and many have different thoughts on what directions the future of the hive should go. The politics of a hive are very cut throat, all because of a peculiar social quirk; They absolutely disdain killing a brother or sister because of their empathic 'link' to their ideological opponents, and so in response, they go through many elaborate political games and power struggles to outcast the undesirable. In fact, there is no death penalty in Dretch law, the highest penalty for one of their own being only complete removal from the Dretch collective consciousness. As an old Dretch proverb goes: 'The bessst of our generalsss do not duel with the ssword, but with the tongue.' There are no greater liars and social manipulators than the leaders of the Dretch, and no more embittered and self - reliant than those undesirables they cast away.       

They have a mind for war, and their warriors are bred with an incapability of fear. While some researchers off world would naturally assume them to be enemies with the Chirps, this would be dead inaccurate. The mortal enemies of the Dretch with the Alvah, and their battleground is underground. The Dretch care very little of the goings on with the surface world in general. And likewise with most that dwell in town on the surface. Most of the time.

Their fanged canine teeth are hollow, and there are venom sacs at the bottom of their sinus cavity. These sacs contain an agent that is truly devastating to prey. Ment for the liquefaction of everything inside a victim for easy digestion, it is classified as 'necrotic venom', but is much, much more powerful than a small little spider bite as the term suggests. It launches a highly evolved and volatile bacteria into the victim, which starts bursting healthy cellular membranes like wildfire. It's biological structures vex even top virologists giving even the advanced medicines brought from off-world a hard time keeping up with the speed.           
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:44:29 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Was looking in the raws, noticed the chirpy word for "loving" is "ham".
This amuses me greatly.
Everything's in the news today

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look mate, it's 2 am here, my laughter waking up the entire house is not what I want right now.
I actually used a random language generator for the chirps with Hungarian as a base.
I didn't even notice that.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

King Kravoka

Was looking in the raws, noticed the chirpy word for "loving" is "ham".
This amuses me greatly.
Someone make superchirpy pig-chirps that became that way because of obtaining "blessings"(Read:Secrets) from the local love god!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:08:11 pm by King Kravoka »

King Kravoka

[Ignore this post, accidentally clicked quote instead of modify.]
[Would that make a double post?]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:09:11 pm by King Kravoka »

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

I recently had an idea for a creature that fits the glass theme I'm going for, but the civs are rather saturated as of now... Then again, I really want to see a glass-skinned chirpy or dretch with viscous prismatic sludge and assorted vaguely organic sacs spread around in said goop. I might do it just for fun, really, because I feel like taking a legendary hammerman to something made of glass and sticky goo would be extremely satisfying to read combat reports on.
Everything's in the news today

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile

Okay, I finished the fish that I partially implemented a while ago. It's almost working.
The only issue is that it doesn't seem to register its attack as existing, although the errorlog shows nothing about it.
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:BITE:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:400]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:2:2]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

buggy213

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Fixed.

Directly from the wiki:
Defines the attack name, and the body part used. See below for valid subtokens
Example:
[ATTACK:GORE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HORN]
GORE : name of the attack
BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HORN : the horn is used to attack (presuming the creature has one)

Also, my own creature seems to be riddled with errors like
SHADOWWALKER BP Mod DEEP_SET Was Not Used
EDIT: The creature also suffocates to death every time despite having lungs. WHATTT?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:23:22 pm by buggy213 »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: The creature also suffocates to death every time despite having lungs. WHATTT?
Tsk tsk tsk. Nope.

[BODY:HEAD_GRM:BODY_GRM:APPENDAGES_GRM]
[BODY:HEAD_GRM]
[BP:NK:neck:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][THROAT][BREATHE][CATEGORY:NECK]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]
[BP:HD:head:STP][CON:NK][HEAD][CATEGORY:HEAD]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:300]
[BP:REYE:right eye:STP][CON:HD][RIGHT][EMBEDDED][SIGHT][CATEGORY:EYE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:10]
[BP:LEYE:left eye:STP][CON:HD][LEFT][EMBEDDED][SIGHT][CATEGORY:EYE]
[BP:NS:nose:STP][CON:HD][SMELL][CATEGORY:NOSE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:40]
[BP:MTH:mouth:STP][CON:HD][MOUTH][CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:15]
[BP:BRN:brain:STP][CON:HD][THOUGHT][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:BRAIN]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:50]
[BP:REAR:right ear:STP][CON:HD][RIGHT][HEAR][CATEGORY:EAR]
[BP:LEAR:left ear:STP][CON:HD][LEFT][HEAR][CATEGORY:EAR]

[BODY:BODY_GRM]
[BP:UB:upper body:upper bodies][UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]
[BP:LB:lower body:lower bodies][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LOWERBODY][CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

[BODY:APPENDAGES_GRM]
[BP:RUA:right upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
[BP:LUA:left upper arm:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER]
[BP:RLA:right lower arm:STP][CON:RUA][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:LLA:left lower arm:STP][CON:LUA][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[BP:RH:right hand:STP][CON:RLA][GRASP][RIGHT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:80]
[BP:LH:left hand:STP][CON:LLA][GRASP][LEFT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:80]
[BP:RUL:right upper leg:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:LEG_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:500]
[BP:LUL:left upper leg:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:LEG_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:500]
[BP:RLL:right lower leg:STP][CON:RUL][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:LEG_LOWER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:400]
[BP:LLL:left lower leg:STP][CON:LUL][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:LEG_LOWER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:400]
[BP:RF:right foot:right feet][CON:RLL][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:FOOT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:120]
[BP:LF:left foot:left feet][CON:LLL][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:FOOT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:120]

No organs... AT ALL!

buggy213

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Changed the body to
[BODY:HEAD_NORMAL_CER:BODY_CER:ARM_LEFT_BIRD_CER:ARM_RIGHT_BIRD_CER:LEFT_LEG_BUG:RIGHT_LEG_BUG:ORGANS_CER]
and it still suffocates. I thought ORGANS_CER had organs?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...You know, the head is connected to the body.
...So if you make a head, it never hurts to have a body the head can connect to.

This goes for everyone so I'll enlarge it:
The order of the bodyparts in the body token in a creature file matters. You first need to define the central stuff (generally upperbody+lowerbody) and then any appendages connecting to it. Obviously, this goes for every bodypart, so if you have, for example, a toe bodypart, don't list it before you listed the feet it's connected to first.

[BODY:HEAD_NORMAL_CER:BODY_CER:ARM_LEFT_BIRD_CER:ARM_RIGHT_BIRD_CER:LEFT_LEG_BUG:RIGHT_LEG_BUG:ORGANS_CER]As this code stands now, you define a head that connects to nothing. It just floats around the body, I'd guess.
Try this:
[BODY:BODY_CER:HEAD_NORMAL_CER:ARM_LEFT_BIRD_CER:ARM_RIGHT_BIRD_CER:LEFT_LEG_BUG:RIGHT_LEG_BUG:ORGANS_CER]

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18