Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 35905 times)

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, ADVENTURE TIME!

I went as a chirp adventurer once again, with the mission to exterminate all dretch, once again.
I chose to be a Chirp Sniper, basically a chirp gunman.
After a tiny bit of travelling, I found the only fortress in the world (it was year 5, the dretch haven't reproduced too much yet).
Seeing as I was warmly welcomed there, I decided to terminate the terror that has been... terrorising the peaceful fortress of peaceful dretches, the evil... cryscrab?
You gotta be shitting me.
But alright, alright. I'll do it.
...Geez, you weak fucks.
Anyway, as I start to move out of the fortress, I get really tired OF THE FUCKIN STAIRS, so I decide to fast travel.
And when I finally take a step out of the fortress I'm... AMBUSHED!
What the shit, did I just stop an invading force?
Nope-ity, it was the very dretch fortress's forces that decided to ambush me.
...And about three chirps. Well, it took me by surprise, at least.
The dretches, being eternally on crack and having four legs, stepped at least 5 meters by the time I blinked once.
They took me down with a well-aimed hit and started attacking me, which, due to the fact that they were dretches, were the equivalent of being licked by a puppy.
One of the chirps helped them out, though, by punching me in the skull:
The Wrestler punches You in the head with her right hand, tearing apart the skin and bruising the skull through the white grass  beak cover!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
You lose hold of the white grass  beak cover.
You lose hold of the tungsten thunder stick.
Which gave the dretch wrestler a perfect oppurtunity:
The Dretch Wrestler shakes You around by the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The head is ripped away and remains in The Dretch Wrestler's grip!
You have been struck down.
So yeah.

. . .

The Dretch Wrestler shakes You around by the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The head is ripped away and remains in The Dretch Wrestler's grip!
You have been struck down.
The Wrestler chirps loudly.
Shut up, you traitorous bastard arseface.

---

Anyone else playing this mod, by the way? It's hilarious, if a bit hard, I tell you.
Download the very latest version, I fixed some bugs I myself made it in, it's now somewhat playable.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, um, should I write together a how to play for Chirps?

I'm also starting my second entity, if it's okay with you guys.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Go for it. I had an idea for a sci-fi entity myself, but I can't work on it just yet. It's cybersquid.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go for it. I had an idea for a sci-fi entity myself, but I can't work on it just yet. It's cybersquid.
If ya need help, I'll be around.

Anyway, I'm going to post the tutorial here whenever I'll have the time to write up one. Not now, sadly.
I'll be putting a title here though, so I won't forget it.

Dwarf Fortress from Scratch
Chirp tutorials for Fortress and Adventure mode
(For DFFS v33)

Spoiler: Fortress mode (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adventure mode (click to show/hide)

Gonna expand on it as needed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:19:05 am by Cerapter »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

cybersquid

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think the CMD is quite useful actually...

Mostly because seeing how fucked everyone is in one place is nice.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Wow. Some of the sci-fi stuff seems pretty awesome. And the crystal lifeforms (it's spelled "amoeba", btw*) will definitely add an interesting touch to this mod. If I'm allowed to, I'd want to incorporate one species of sapient that I've had bouncing around my mind for a while. Basically, they're a symbiotic lifeform, with a mutualistic relationship between the crystalline and the organic life. Crystalline "cocoons" act as eggs, and they have a large, hive-like caste structure. I'm using an idea of mine from a different canon and adapting it to this setting, if that's alright.

I've got to ask, though: what progress has there been made with the fantasy section of this project recently and why hasn't it been spoken about?
At any rate, I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to contribute anything until some time in the spring of next year. I'm definitely looking forward to the stuff you guys will add :).

*Unless you're talking about some sort of snake, I guess. Which seems like it would be rather interesting.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

I would like to know how to even play this, there doesn't seem to be any start up application.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

I would like to know how to even play this, there doesn't seem to be any start up application.

It's just the data and raw folders. You download vanilla DF, delete the raw folder, and put in the new From Scratch folders.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Yah, we dont need no fancy programs, not enough things you can turn on or off. Package deals.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

So my computer finally crapped itself. Oh well. At least the withdrawal will motivate me to make more alien shit for this.
Everything's in the news today

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile

so i'm conflicted (first off i have no modding skill so this is all a suggestion).... i've been reading the prophet comic series recently and it got me really hyped to play this mod (btw this is an awesome crazy idea and i'm excited to see where it leads).... my conundrum is that i really want to play as a human (or spacedwarf marine) an outsider would be especially fun... but since the rules are that you can't copy raws, i don't know whether i would prefer a humanoid race or spacefarers, or if i should petition for human outsider option for adventurers? either way keep up this crazy FUN experiment... can't wait for more content!!!

also this may be impossible (or extremely difficult) but is there any way a texture pack, or texture pack compatible version would be possible?

just started fiddlin around in a pretty cool world i genned.... all civilization is dretch with 1 small chirp nation and one other chirp nation that has been conquered by the dretch... i have been playing as a chirp vigilante/freedom fighter (peasant difficulty of course) trying to get revenge on the  carapaced overlords
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:56:42 am by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

also this may be impossible (or extremely difficult) but is there any way a texture pack, or texture pack compatible version would be possible?

Wouldn't be impossible, though how difficult it would be would depend on how the tileset is set up. Raws may have to be changed to be compatible with different sets.

Graphics sets for creatures would be easier. There may already be graphics out there that are similar to creatures in the game already, or someone can come up with new sprites instead.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile

Welllp.... learned (if that's what we're callin it these days) how to mod just for you guys!!!

made an outsider race (adv mod playable only) called sleepers (essentially genetically mutated modified humans [really the only thing left after copying the vanilla raws was the formatting])... could add some fun to adventure mode (i know i'll be playing with it a bit). I hope to add some more flavor to the race, but we'll see if i can pull my brain back together after barely modding up a race from scratch
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:49:08 am by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Sci-fi DF? Much love to you guys. The novel-thing I'm writing is sci-fi DF too, so I'm already a big fan.

You are not allowed to copy and paste or include DF or other mods' raws directly (I had to a little to get it to not crash and burn, but that should be the end of it). Getting caught means your turn will be voided. Copying and pasting parts that you were going to rewrite exactly anyway is fine, doing this to an entire creature, object or set of them is not

edit: they never actually got used in anything, so...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:47:41 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18