Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from Scratch: 0.40.x [Contributors welcome!]  (Read 36739 times)

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay for Black Flyme!

The colour errors arenot big problems, so they're okay.
And the others are typos (perseverance is good, but Toady made a typo three, so it's not accepted).

And yeah, the Dretch are left out because they're still not finished. And freaking weak. Feel free to put them in.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have returned to continue work on the moles and the other raws of mine. Soon, they'll be playable as well.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have returned to continue work on the moles and the other raws of mine. Soon, they'll be playable as well.
Great news!

Speaking about news, activating the Dretch gets you a map plain conquered by them. Maybe because of the hilariously screwed numbers. And they can steal children.
Code: [Select]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]
The maximum creatures per map are counted like this: MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER*MAX_POP_NUMBER.
So there can be 1.000.000 dretches on the map, and they must live in towns with 120 population max.

Compared to the Chirps:
Code: [Select]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:400]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:160]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:6]
2.400 maximum chirps per map with 160 chirps in towns max.

Even so, the dretch are so weak, the map I generated was divided equally into three parts by two chirp civs and the only remaining dretch civ.
Interestingly, one was at War with the dretch, while the other didn't care and was at neutral terms.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I think that's all good, then.

The original idea for them are a hive race that were weak individually but made up for it in speed and sheer number.

That's what the venomous bite is all about - the Dretch is an enemy that kills through a thousand little paper cuts. Sure an adventurer can survive their bite, but ten or fifteen? Even the strongest warrior need to worry about them in number.

but that said I am planning on adding warrior and acid spitting castes, to beef up some of them.

I'll adjust it more as the player reports and stories come in - which I really, really, hope they do :)   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:20:17 am by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Before Dretch:
For every 4 historical figure, there is 1 death and 8 events happening.
After Dretch:
For every 4 historical figure, there is 1 death and 40 events happening.

The Dretch shoot up the number of events in worldgen to 5 times its original size.
They aren't very memorable though individually, dying like mayflies to everything, but they make other heroes more memorable.

EDIT: Okay, they DO make historical figures. The numbers shoot up like crazy. By year 90, I had over ELEVEN-THOUSAND HISTORICAL FIGURES compared to the number before the Dretch, about 2000.
Spoiler: Worldgen image at 90 (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Remember the 2 week advancement before you start playing...? Well, that plain stops with that much people. I suggest reducing the Dretches' number to a more sane amount. Like 10.000 or 20.000. Just write MAX_POP_NUMBER:200 instead. The Dretch will still sprawl out but there won't be 1000 pop large fortresses everywhere.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:36:31 am by Cerapter »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It it is done.

Hmm, don't know what went wrong, I just took a page from the ant men.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...There's your problem.
Those infos are irrelevant for subterranean tribes. They're not considered during worldgen.
Unlike the Dretch, who are not subterranean and nor tribe-people.
So you get gigantic civilisations that way.

EDIT: Some bandit gangs have members of one race and leaders of the other. Oh how poetic! The gigantic civilisations of the Chirps and the Dretch are bickering with each other, while the outlaws of both have forged lifelong alliances!
...No really, that's kind of awesome.

EDIT2: You screwed up something in the creature file maybe? Because they die out in the first few years of worldgen.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:05:41 am by Cerapter »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I only touched the entity file.

There, I removed the [carnivore] and the [no_eat] and upped the [clutch_number] to 1:20?

I know those tags were hacks to keep the goblins swelling in number without actually eating anything, maybe they're holding my civ back now?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:25:17 am by DVNO »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup, they're working now.

EDIT:
17805 Chirps
   120 Dretches
They're a bit lacking in numbers, though.

Generally, they make some fortresses, and the chirps move in, like this here:
6: Traitorbrewed, "Traitorsbrewed", fortress
   Owner: The Pumpkin Lies, dretches
   Parent Civ: The Loving Evils, dretches
   lady: Frisig Heroiclovings, chirp
   413 chirps
   93 chirp prisoners
So most of the Dretch armies are made up of Chirp emigrants.

EDIT2:
[CARNIVORE], [NO_EAT] and [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:20] did the trick; they have about equal numbers now.
Now, if only we could get them to war now... No matter how horrible the Dretches are, they somehow never war.
I don't get it.

EDIT3:
Adventurer Hero Chirp.
Name: Sig Treasuresblack "the Red Fair Savages of Wall"
Went to a Dretch hillock.
They were attacked by bandits, so I moved near them when they ambushed me.
Shoot down all of them with a Meteoric Iron Thunder Stick with bullets from the same material, then bashed their torso in to finish them off.
The members of the hillock started attacking me, seeing me as a genocider Chirp. Which was not far from the truth, as I originally wanted to kill them all.
Took down the guards and the braver workers.
Most peasant were sitting near the walls, afraid of me.
I went up to the lord, claimed the site in the name of Teahills (and became the lady of Teahills) and then finished off the lord in the same way as I did to every other.
When suddenly, a farmer dretch got enough courage to oppose me, dodged two of my bullets (the first two times someone dodged my bullets in this life) and scored a lucky hit on me.
Died to the dretch venom.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:48:09 am by Cerapter »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know right? I thought [BABYSNATCHER] would guarantee do the job. As far as the game knows they are constantly and arbitrarily dueling Chirp children for crying out loud!

Let's see if [SKULKING] Changes things . . .

EDIT:

hehe, could go the nuclear warhead option and give them [CRAZED] . . . :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:46:33 am by DVNO »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know right? I thought [BABYSNATCHER] would guarantee do the job. As far as the game knows they are constantly and arbitrarily dueling Chirp children for crying out loud!

Let's see if [SKULKING] Changes things . . .

EDIT:

hehe, could go the nuclear warhead option and give them [CRAZED] . . . :P
Read my edit for an adventure at the Dretch! :D
Also, it might be because the Chirps wants to preserve peace at all costs, so they avoid confrontations.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Full script from my adventure. Apparently, I didn't die to the venom...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are some gems in it where my deadpan nature shows up, like:
Dretch Glassmaker: Murderer!
You: It is terrifying.

EDIT: I could rewrite most of the Adventure Mode talking stuff so that it sounds more natural. And, well, expand it a bit so that we won't get "it was inevitable" all the time. Yea/Nay?
EDIT2: "It was inevitable" is one of the many sentences that are hard-coded. Damn.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:07:19 am by Cerapter »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IS IT? Aw that's a shame. :(

I've been doing a lot of new lines for adv mode to, and I was looking for that one for so long, thinking I was just overlooking it.
--------------
Okay, [KILL_NUTERAL:REQUIRED] + [CRAZED] + [NOFEAR] is a terrifying combination. The Dretch get into some trouble now. Annd all that about them being wusses? They are formidable now, with this new mob kill on sight mentality they've got. I wouldn't even try to clear their hamlets with a fresh demi-god and a thunderstick now.   

But before I commit it to the game, I've been thinking: Does it it make more sense for the chirps and bugs to be at constant war on this little world, or would it work with the building lore more if the bug people have always just stuck below ground and the bird people have always stuck to the surface, and yes they don't always agree, but they just let each other exist in their separate worlds half of the time?

who said they had to be at war all the time, afterall?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't. The current lukewarm "I tolerate you and vice versa" situation is okay. After all, there'll be invaders from outer space, like the Molemen.

Just leave them as they are now for now.

And we have to, we'll modify stuff later.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Just to be clear, anyone could jump into this and add to it if they wanted? I've tried a tiny bit of modding but I've never had too much of an incentive to do anything due to being a bit unskilled to make anything really !!fun!!, but I can pull off some more mundane stuff, I feel. I just don't want to start up on making whatever creature before being told I need to go through some sort of process to be accepted.

Also, I've read the modding rules and all, and I'll try to comply with them and not make anything too particularly broken. (Power-wise, no promises someone more skilled than me might not have to tweak a bit of bad modding...)
Everything's in the news today
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18