Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic/potion  (Read 1312 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic/potion
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:05 pm »

Not a suggestions, but I was wondering what the ideal system for this would be for you guys. Potions made at a still? Can all dwarfs use magic? or only a few?

Let me know!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic/potion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:35:50 pm »

I think magic should be left to the elves but dwarven doctors making tonics to combat syndromes and speed recovery would nice.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »

Several mods use alchemy, magic, or both.  If that's your thing, you should check them out.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »

Maybe brewing acid flasks and alchemist's fire to throw on those pointy-eared bastards?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:35:04 pm »

My thing was not that there is no magic, but rather, that toady has said that it will be implimented. I was just wondering what your guy's preferred system for it would be.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »

Artifacts = Magic
For example, an artifact adamantine breastplate could cause the wearer's blood to turn into molten iron. Or a strange mood could fail and an artifact adamantine breastplate could cause the wearer's blood to to turn into molten iron.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:04 pm »

Artifacts = Magic
For example, an artifact adamantine breastplate could cause the wearer's blood to turn into molten iron. Or a strange mood could fail and an artifact adamantine breastplate could cause the wearer's blood to to turn into molten iron.

Aren't those the same thing?

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:38:33 pm »

Artifacts = Magic

One seems to be very beneficial, while the other terrifying.
My opinion on the matter?
It was inevitable.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:47:30 pm »

I think the Toad wanted randomized magic... *goes to DFtalk*

Personally, I think a new system for each world would be pretty cool.

I apologise for the infodump.

Here's some:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:58:34 pm by Alev »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:47 pm »

Artifacts = Magic
Now you see! All along, it was inevitable.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »

Personally, I would far rather Today work on improving the realism (Why can't we "build" with soil, creating a tree farm on top of a constructed building? Why can't we burn wooden furniture for fuel? Why can't we grind up crafts made of flux stone in order to help make steel? Why can't we slap the broker around for refusing to do his damn job?) of the existing features, rather than implement new, even game-changing features. Yes, I would love to see golden salve be used for actual medicinal purposes. But that can wait.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.