Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)  (Read 15119 times)

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 10:27:08 am »

I've had something similar happen to me. I embarked in a mirthful biome and after a few years my animals outside turned into husks.

I'm fairly sure necromancers don't convert living animals into husks and there is no way there was any evil weather.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:53 am »

Yes upload the save of this for scienceee

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »

Did you check all of the biomes when you embarked?  The one that is displayed is the one that has the majority of tiles, but if you embark in a 4x4 and 2 tiles are in a Horrifying biome, you will still get the effects, etc in those 2 tiles and syndromes will carry across the border.

If you didn't, savescum and retire and check the site you built on with F1, F2 etc. from the embark screen.

Already done. The biomes are all Calm, and there are no nearby evil biomes. There is a dark pit within hiking distance, but it's about a dozen tiles away.

Are the dead animals restricted to a single map tile area of your playing map, or ar they all around the whole edge?

They are all around the edge, and dwarves going to the outside air are instantly bloodletted. My conclusion is that the murk is everywhere above ground.

Yes upload the save of this for scienceee

For your SCIENCE!!-ing pleasure...

This is the save of the fortress 3 in-game days after the lurgy hit. There is a single survivor, on break in the dining hall.
https://www.mediafire.com/?le5bvzebonjecb5

This is the save of the world after the fortress withered 3 days after the previous, for your satisfaction.
https://www.mediafire.com/?le5bvzebonjecb5

I think I'm going to LP me trying to keep this last dwarf alive. Should be a party.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 12:31:14 pm »

Might be related with the with increase of dieties interacting with dwarfs and the world. Maybe a dwarf angered one so much he smited him and those who came in contact with it.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:49 pm »

Are the dead animals restricted to a single map tile area of your playing map, or ar they all around the whole edge?
They are all around the edge, and dwarves going to the outside air are instantly bloodletted. My conclusion is that the murk is everywhere above ground.
Yeah, sounds like what happened with me and my insta-husked surface. Anything that was outside or went outside instantly got husked by husking contaminants despite there never being reports of husking clouds appearing.

I think we may have a definite bug.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »

Maybe killing cats now angers Armok  :o
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »

Someone needs to do some raws digging and find out what the hell is going on.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »

I'm not sure this is related, but I recently reclaimed a WG ruin in a (neutral) Wildnerness biome, and periodically it would rain dwarf blood on exactly one (varying) tree, usually pretty far from my dwarves; nobody ever saw it or got bad thoughts from it, so it was purely an aesthetic effect.

Admittedly less horrifying that a lethal concentration of Ebola Aerosol, but still, freaky.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 03:59:22 pm »

I think we may have a definite bug.

I'm pretty sure this is bug, but I think it is actually adding to the game. First of all, it doesn't happen everywhere, so it doesn't ruin the game as a whole. Secondly, it creates such amazing setting! Just imagine, the horrible plague is wiping the population, and you have to be locked inside - forever and ever, as the dwath itself has come for your dwarves.

Mitcha47

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 04:09:45 pm »

After searching the raws the best I could In ten minutes ive found the reference to [Unholy] and [Murk] in the language_SYM.txt file.

[Murk]
-symbol name swamp
-symbol name cave
-symbol darkness

[Unholy]
-symbol evil

But that's just very basic searching for anything that the name could point to, which is very little. All that shows me is that this is something Evil. Which everyone knew.

Searching of Bleeding in the files returned me to a file of a tropical creature, Bushmaster, whom inflicts a syndrome based bit that inflicts bleeding. Ahah! Getting somewhere maybe?

So more searching shows up this,

[INTERACTION:EXAMPLE CURSE]
   [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
      [IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
      [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:victim]
   [I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [IE_ARENA_NAME:Cursed]
      [SYNDROME]
         [CE_SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST:PERC:0:PERC_ON:20:START:0]

The above shows how instant the spread can be.

CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION -- only works on hist figs, causes that hist figs body material to cause interaction as a syndrome mat
Also, Syndrome can be spread by injustion.

That's All i really got right now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »

Someone needs to do some raws digging and find out what the hell is going on.

Raw-wise what the hell is going on is pretty obvious--it's a syndrome on a material that kills stuff. The rest isn't in the raws at all, so that's not exactly going to be helpful.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 05:56:55 pm »

Okay, I've played save a little bit.
First thing I'd like to note is that it's temporary, winter came and a bunch of dingos and langurs came wandering round map and stealing shit like no one's business.

Secondly, eagles. There's one when you load game it's stuck in place and is okay otherwise. If you wait a while, another one migrates, if it descends below the tree crown level, it dies. (The time I took notion it was 119 level)

My guess would be that it's something with new item-clouds system. Like plants blooming with unexistant material which gets replaced with nasty stuff down the material list.

I wasn't able to play past winter due to dwarf becoming stuck because of new psyche bug though, and 15 fps really don't make me want to try again. Thus someone probably should see if this repeats next autumn.

Also, try to dig down and see if it's all Toady's intentional doing. There's exactly two bars of coal and plenty of ore to make a pick so the last dwarf doesn't need to get outside to get equipment.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 06:13:10 pm »

Congratulations, you somehow weaponized air.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 06:19:24 pm »

No, tree leaves and fruit falling leaves little clouds of contaminant.

If the tree's data is somehow messed up, the game may be selecting said deadly murk as the material to make these item clouds from. This would explain its seasonal influence.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:32 pm »

No, tree leaves and fruit falling leaves little clouds of contaminant.

If you find an unholy murk tree, I want to know where, so I can stay Very Far Away Indeed.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5