Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reworking Wear  (Read 1740 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Reworking Wear
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:13 pm »

I got these when I noticed the planned feature of adventurers crafting their own cloths from hides. I was thinking that making cloths from unprocessed hides as opposed to leather should give a substantial value drop and accelerate the accumulation of wear. But thinking about this gave me more ideas, so why not just rework the whole wear mechanic?

For example;
-Lower quality clothing should wear out more quickly than higher quality clothing
-Materials should have an affect on wear; leather lasts longer than processed plant fibers, for example, and both last longer than the hide-clothing Toady wants to add.
-Clothing/armor should acquire wear as it blocks attacks/fall damage to simulate actual damage to the clothing. Clothing already wears out when exposed to extreme temperatures; this is good.
-As wear increases, clothing/armor should become less useful in terms of blocking; has a lower chance to block, etc.
-Wear should be reversible via reworking armor in the forges or having it repaired in the clothier's shop. Dwarves should automatically attempt to repair their damaged uniforms/possessions when not using them. This should consume small quantities of metal/cloth to do, and the amount of wear reduced should depend on the skill of the repairer.
-Clothing made in adventure mode out of unprocessed hides should come with pre-wear based on how mutilated the corpse was.

Thoughts?

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Wear
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »

A clothier shop could do with a patch clothing reaction, and cut patches. To turn a bolt of cloth into several patches that would then be used to repair damaged clothes.

Pretty sure this could be modded in without too much trouble. Though quality levels would behave oddly. And decorations.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:00:58 am »

A clothier shop could do with a patch clothing reaction, and cut patches. To turn a bolt of cloth into several patches that would then be used to repair damaged clothes.

Pretty sure this could be modded in without too much trouble. Though quality levels would behave oddly. And decorations.

+1

Best idea I've heard in a long time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:30:54 pm »

+1.  You don't have to implement all of it, but at the very least, if you're going to spend adamantine on a shirt, it ought to last forever.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »

+1.  You don't have to implement all of it, but at the very least, if you're going to spend adamantine on a shirt, it ought to last forever.
Pretty sure an adamantine robe is one of the most cost effective ways of making your dwarves (nearly) invincible, if the tags work how I think they do (WOVEN or something might set it to default cloth)
+1, also, the skill of a clothier could affect how much of the original quality is retained
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:04:36 pm »

For clothing, it'd be easier for dwarves to replace it than repair it, because cloth isn't scarce. Maybe i'd be useful if you made repair cost no cloth, but even then I'd expect that the more common practice of players would still be to replace it. Even with better trade and farming, It'd be hard to make clothing scarce enough to be worth fixing. You can't make it ware too fast either, because then players would use more durable armor.

For armor that uses multiple bars It might sometimes be sensible to repair; metal is scarce, and quality armor doubly so.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:14:18 am »

could justify some tasks causing worn clothing to wear faster, to increase realism and viability of clothing repair. I somehow doubt a furnace operators cotton shirt is going to last very long. Also, if rags were added hospitals should prefer them to full bolts of cloth as bandages. And cloth could be made a lot less common by increasing the amount of thread required to make a bolt of cloth. The 1:1 conversion has always bothered me.

Just off the top of my head, carpentry, masonry, mining, woodcutting, furnace operating, metal crafting/smithing, anything to do with animals, and probably a couple other tasks could be easily justified to increase the rate of clothing wear. Farming too. Our dwarves aren't generally wearing denim, much less carharts, those silk/cotton shirts are not going to stand up to hard labor.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 01:37:51 am »

I agree that it is sensible to make most dwarves end up using Linen over silk, and to have different rate of wear for different fabrics. Jobs causing clothing wear is sensible too.

You can make farming and trade better, but you don't actually want cloth to be too scarce. There's also the fact dwarven labor is dominated by hauling things. That makes it hard to make it easier to fix something instead of replacing it.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 02:09:15 am »

I'm not sure the quality and decoration system would take too much of an impact. Applying patches could simply result in: This is an candy thread shirt. It is adorned with rope reed fiber patches.

Though why not have the wearing system tied to an inherent devaluing of the product? This way repeated patches would increase the value up to acceptable wearing/happiness levels?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:14:32 am »

To be honest, in my opinion item wear should either be gotten rid of alltogether, or restricted to metal armor.
It adds a huge grind (dumping or selling worn items), or FPS clog, while adding very little gameplay value.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rewearing Work
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:32:29 am »

While we're on the topic of wear, i'd like to suggest weapons and armor be given wear too.
It makes sense that swords/axes/etc. lose their edge after repeatedly striking materials with a hardness equal or greater than their own.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:00 am »

So long as they are repairable to the same state they were at before.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »

Dull weapons and broken weapons are different things. If a sword breaks proper, it'd need to be reforged. A wooden and bone weapons can't really be fixed at all. However any dull edge can be sharpened.

I think broken weapons are more important to simulate than dulled ones, particularly because military equipment is already a pain without having soldiers need to sharpen their weapons from time to time.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 04:07:22 pm »

More tedious micromanaging silliness to the eminently un-exciting clothing and wear system (which you cannot ignore, since naked thoughts aren't moddable)? No, no thanks.

I'm on board with the initial suggestions of having higher quality clothes wear less, and stronger mats wear less.  And the average can be kept as average (so low quality stuff wears FASTER than now, and leather wears slower than now, etc)

Not the armor part, though, or patches, blah blah that are going to add more work/boringness on average.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 09:18:59 pm »

Clothing needs to be recyclable, like melting, but for clothes.
Pages: [1] 2