Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 77

Author Topic: History: the Minimalist RTD  (Read 115627 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: History: the Minimalist RTD
« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:06 am »

(Harry, how much of the world is up to our device if we, like in my case, have a foreign character? I had some ideas for his homeland with it's own technology, government, religion, etc., and wanted to know how much of that information was my own responsibility to create and how much you as GM would determine.)
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:51 am »

(Harry, how much of the world is up to our device if we, like in my case, have a foreign character? I had some ideas for his homeland with it's own technology, government, religion, etc., and wanted to know how much of that information was my own responsibility to create and how much you as GM would determine.)

Well, so far your civilization is established to be in the Bronze Age, but other than that you're free to make things up. I have confidence that you, and also pretty much everyone else here, can come up with something suitably interesting and appropriate. History's yours to make, so to speak.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:41 am »

(Thanks, I'm going for a Desert Civilization, and wanted to make sure it didn't conflict with anything else in the world.
Also, can I create a game similar to this one? The idea of a game with a minimalist setup that gradually develops is quite appealing to me.)
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 31, 2014, 11:18:04 am »

Deciding that it would be wise to reach high ground, Bronn climbs up a large hill. An underbrush and a hole in the ground arouses his curiosity, and he notice some ropes hanging about...

"H-hello...?"
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:04 am »

(Also, can I create a game similar to this one? The idea of a game with a minimalist setup that gradually develops is quite appealing to me.)

Well, sure. It seems kind of weird when people ask me if they can borrow ideas or mechanics, as I have no idea how somebody could find that kind of thing objectionable. I find it extremely flattering when anything that I've even vaguely had a hand in is found worthy of imitation, updating, reimagining, or possibly even parody.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:43 am »

(Also, can I create a game similar to this one? The idea of a game with a minimalist setup that gradually develops is quite appealing to me.)

Well, sure. It seems kind of weird when people ask me if they can borrow ideas or mechanics, as I have no idea how somebody could find that kind of thing objectionable. I find it extremely flattering when anything that I've even vaguely had a hand in is found worthy of imitation, updating, reimagining, or possibly even parody.

Me either, then again, this is one of the more professional and polite RPG forums I've seen. Some other places I've been have actually contained people asking to emulate a game, and I've never seen it flat-out rejected, but sometimes certain settings or mechanics are "copyrighted" by other GMs. Guess I'm just used to asking.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 31, 2014, 11:59:02 am »

((Huh, I could have sworn I said "kill them all, except the children. What's with the infant slaughter, Harry?))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:14 pm »

((Huh, I could have sworn I said "kill them all, except the children. What's with the infant slaughter, Harry?))

Maybe you lost control. Maybe you don't pay attention. Maybe you consider infants as adults.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »

Continue work on the fishing boat.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 31, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »

Oh, I thought you meant the children and other members of your tribe. Parsed it wrong! Very well, let's say you slit the throat of a teenaged daughter instead if you mind all that much. And the infant's left making noise in that event.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:13:42 pm by Harry Baldman »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 31, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »

Works for me. Besides, killing an infant is probably bad juju.

Sneak away, killing more of the painted tribe if I get the chance. If spotted and attacked, respond with lethal force. Also, remember where this camp is so I can lead a war band back if I survive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:53:44 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:11 pm »

Search for another person to lead the tribe

you and your obsession with a single leader it's barbaric outing all the power in 1 persons hands is bound to be a disaster
"The tribe has called for it, and I will not deny then."

((Look at Harry's responses to my actions for the past entire game, the tribe is constantly demanding consolidated leadership. Not my idea.))

then they are all fools and have sealed there fate
"It is not your place to decide. If 200 tribesmen agree, and you disagree, are you automatically right? No. Yes, all of the 200 tribesmen could be wrong, but it is still their choice to make."

Heal anyone who is wounded.

your own argument works against you you propose singular power but use group decisions to support your argument
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:55:00 pm by tuypo1 »
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Nunzillor

« Reply #598 on: July 31, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »

Chantututu convinces the prisoners that they would be better off joining the tribe.  Show them that we have lots of fun around here and great health benefits.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:29:30 pm by Nunzillor »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 31, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »

Search for another person to lead the tribe

you and your obsession with a single leader it's barbaric outing all the power in 1 persons hands is bound to be a disaster
"The tribe has called for it, and I will not deny then."

((Look at Harry's responses to my actions for the past entire game, the tribe is constantly demanding consolidated leadership. Not my idea.))

then they are all fools and have sealed there fate
"It is not your place to decide. If 200 tribesmen agree, and you disagree, are you automatically right? No. Yes, all of the 200 tribesmen could be wrong, but it is still their choice to make."

Heal anyone who is wounded.

your own argument works against you you propose singular power but use group decisions to support your argument
"Respect your elders and help me find poop!"
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 77