Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which furnace forges iron armor/weapons/items?  (Read 1574 times)

Svampen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Which furnace forges iron armor/weapons/items?
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:44:03 am »

Hey there!

I'm new to df and just found this awesome mod!

What furnace do i need to be able to forge iron equipment for my beginning army?

The finishing forge just cold irons tin/bronze.
Do i need to conduct research and build an armory/weaponry to forge iron equipment?

I got the ore processor and smelter up and running..

Edit: Dwarf mode btw

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Which furnace forges iron armor/weapons/items?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:24 am »

The ordinary vanilla forge is what you should use.

It's b-w-f to build it, it'll let you build non-advanced weapons/armor/misc from any metal

The armory lets you build heavy-duty plate armor and better shields for when you want to give your soldiers the absolute best in protection, it's very expensive to do though.

The weaponry gives you access to two-handed weapons, by far a lower priority when your army is still small (arrows will cripple soldiers without shields far too easily in my experience)

Oh and welcome to Bay12! Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger on your left.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:11:25 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Svampen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:08:47 am »

Ah but ofcourse it's the vanilla one under workshops.. I've been pulling my hair looking for a furnace in the manual. :p
Thanks! :)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:26:35 am »

Yeah, and it's the only metal-related building that's under "w"orkshop, even though it uses fuel.
Sadly, all vanilla workshops seem to be hardcoded in the game, so Meph and other modders can't change much from them (they can add a few recipes, but that's it).

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the game and the mod as much as we do.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:14 am »

One quick note, is that you'll need an anvil. In masterwork, that can easily be produced at the smelter (a vanilla furnace, b-e-s), provided you have enough bars of a suitable metal. But it sounds like you do, so that shouldn't be a problem; you'll look on in awe as your smith effortlessly lifts the anvil to build the metalforge.

If you haven't already, I suggest reading the armor page on the Wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Armor.

Svampen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:13:00 pm »

Thanks all!

In just a couple of days i have developed a love hate relationship with this game.  ;D
The depth is just amazing, especially with this mod.

While on the topic of newb questions. I'm well into my third year and got a pretty decent fort going but i haven't had any invasions yet. nor have any human or elven traders shown up. Is it normal or did i choose a weird embark location so they can't reach me?
My mighty dwarfs need elven blood!

I set the history param to 200 at world generation to speed up the process. Could that be the issue?

Edit: Just noticed there's a newly created thread on the same topic. I guess i have to increase the value of my fort even further to have invasions and other traders arrive.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:20:51 pm by Svampen »

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:18 pm »

it might be that their civs just didn't survive the 200 years and simply dies out

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 03:41:51 pm »

Non dwarven caravans (and maybe non played civ ones) along with all forms of attacks are linked into either population or wealth in this mod (vanilla was only for the attacks).

if you produce next to no wealth, you get few migrants, and you could go a few years before things start to get crazy.

One way to check if your world is alright is to make a copy of your save, load the copy, abandon the fort, and look at the civs when trying to reclaim (on the world map).
Afterward, just delete that copy save and just continue on with your normal one.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:43:59 pm »

On maps where they're available, not at war with your civ, and have access to your site, elves will basically always show up after the first winter; humans, drows, and so on are very much wealth-dependent. Beyond checking a civ's actual presence on the map, you should also check whether they have access to your site. If you're on an isolated island or mountain valley for example, there's a good chance that the only traders you'll see will be from your home civ, in this case dwarves; beyond that you won't receive any attacks, except from megabeasts/titans/FBs/etc.

When you're looking at the world map and choosing your embark site, you can press TAB (that's what works for me), which will cycle through a series of information screens; one will list a bunch of races, which lists which races have access to your embark site. If they have a series of red dashes that simply means they're hostile; goblins, for example, are typically hostile. Civs listed with 'WAR' beside them are only of note if they're races that would otherwise be friendly, like humans/elves/etc.

If on the rare occasion you see 'No Trade,' that typically means a civ has access to your site, but won't show up because the environment is hazardous to their health; e.g. too hot or too cold. I only have limited experience with this feature; as a dwarf my home civ would always show up despite being listed as 'No Trade,' though elves would not. I didn't survive past that.

Svampen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 06:17:01 pm »

So i abandoned the fort and checked out the other civs.. Turns out the humans and elves are all extinct. No matter. They were weak anyway.
I'll just keep spamming ☼rock mug☼s and eventually a gnome caravan will show up i guess since they are around and have access to my site.
And there was plenty of evil civs around so i better prepare.

Thanks for your help. :)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:32:21 am »

On maps where they're available, not at war with your civ, and have access to your site, elves will basically always show up after the first winter; humans, drows, and so on are very much wealth-dependent. Beyond checking a civ's actual presence on the map, you should also check whether they have access to your site. If you're on an isolated island or mountain valley for example, there's a good chance that the only traders you'll see will be from your home civ, in this case dwarves; beyond that you won't receive any attacks, except from megabeasts/titans/FBs/etc.

When you're looking at the world map and choosing your embark site, you can press TAB (that's what works for me), which will cycle through a series of information screens; one will list a bunch of races, which lists which races have access to your embark site. If they have a series of red dashes that simply means they're hostile; goblins, for example, are typically hostile. Civs listed with 'WAR' beside them are only of note if they're races that would otherwise be friendly, like humans/elves/etc.

If on the rare occasion you see 'No Trade,' that typically means a civ has access to your site, but won't show up because the environment is hazardous to their health; e.g. too hot or too cold. I only have limited experience with this feature; as a dwarf my home civ would always show up despite being listed as 'No Trade,' though elves would not. I didn't survive past that.
In my experience no trade meant that the civ didn't have access to any animals to carry the trade goods. Also drow are no longer allied with the dwarves. Since the update putting all of them into five factions drow were placed with goblins orcs and succubi in the slaver group. Replacing the drow as winter trade partners are gnomes who no longer need a workshop to have a caravan arrive.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia