Poll

I play/prefer...

Vanilla DF 40.x
Still playing Masterwork for DF 34.x
Both equally.
Both, mostly the new vanilla.
Both, mostly Masterwork.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Poll - MDF or DF40.x ?  (Read 25475 times)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poll - MDF or DF40.x ?
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »

You want a different subculture? Go peek inside the Fallout Equestria mod. :)

Toady has created an awesome game, and part of that is that different groups of people can take it and develop their own interests around that code base. The ability to do that is something somewhat rare in this world.

And as someone else who makes a living doing what he loves, I guarantee you I have no intention of stomping on Toady's revenue stream by talking about Masterwork. What people do with their wallets is their own business. They can send their donations in whichever directions they feel moved to.

That's the part of your first post which stuck in my craw. "Shhh, don't talk bad about the core game because you'll hurt Toady's income."

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2014, 08:14:36 pm »

Bah. Whatever. I'm not going to get involved in Saturday night drama on an internet forum about a video game. Y'all say what you want. I don't care unless it's discussing the mechanics of warlocks/orcs/gnomes/etc.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2014, 08:20:37 pm »

That's the part of your first post which stuck in my craw. "Shhh, don't talk bad about the core game because you'll hurt Toady's income."

Oh, I'm sorry about that.
But at the same time, I'm not psychic, so I wouldn't know the subtilities of your argument, I'm just noting what people are worried about... Have a good saturday night!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2014, 10:59:00 pm »

Kinda wonder how Meph going to continue with the RTS idea when retiring a fort and world gen could factor in.

Eh better dive in to see how many plugins are broken in 40.0x
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:15 pm »

However, if they only speak to each other, you get an echo chamber effect, a tantrum spiral if you will: suddenly it's not 'yeah 0.40 is nice, but', but '0.40 sucks', and more rebelious things like 'oh, we should not bother with Toady and vanilla because it's dumb', eventually leading to decreasing donations.

Thanks for your concern, but that's not really what the culture here is like.  Stick around and get to know some of us if you like.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2014, 01:23:45 am »

The actual problem that comes with this is the difference between Toady and Meph: Toady lives of donations, and Meph, I assume, has a job and does this as his hobby.
I just wanted to chime in and say that that is not true. Toady and me are both relying, on part, on donations. We both have no regular jobs. He has DF, while I have multiple, smaller sources of income. Sponsoring and donations are a big part of it. Mostly out of the outdoor and travel area though, not DF. See my sig for a link.

Prior to this thread I never noticed anyone saying that DF is bad, or MDF is better/worse. I dont think its the mod players that are posting in the general df sections about disliking DF2014, just a small percentage of all players of DF.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2014, 02:38:50 am »

in means to not throw wood into the fire that is fan favorite "the mod or the game" itself here is my first glimpse of shoving Masterworks into 40.0x
as you can see there's no races left but the wild invader ones best of luck to see how well this game handles world gen.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2014, 03:25:36 am »

Yeah, .40 did weird stuff with civ placement.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2014, 09:03:46 am »

Going with the new vanilla releases for now. Might go back to Masterwork after I get tired with adventure mode though, as MW added a lot of fun things to play around with that I will miss.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2014, 10:47:02 am »

love the literal Sea frogmen though still miffed about the lack of talking or communication most of the races have like in old meph games where you pump up the fortress defense.
it makes the world a dead featureless landscape.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:29 am »

love the literal Sea frogmen though still miffed about the lack of talking or communication most of the races have like in old meph games where you pump up the fortress defense.
it makes the world a dead featureless landscape.
Could you explain that a bit further?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2014, 02:38:08 am »

I'd rather not choose between them.  MDF on 40.x for me, once it's ready.

The FPS on 40.x this week is quite painful after playing MDF the previous week.  I moved over mainly to see what's new, and because I finally repaired a computer I can use to download and compile/tweak dfhack before it's released.  As soon as the FPS improvement and richer game experience are ready, I'll be back to MDF.  8)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2014, 01:32:21 pm »

Yeah, I want MDF 40.0x too. I want my beautiful trees AND my deeper gameplay, damnit!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2014, 01:40:18 pm »

I don't have the patience or energy to help debug .40 so... sticking with .34 and/or MDF.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2014, 02:06:14 pm »

I don't have the patience or energy to help debug .40 so... sticking with .34 and/or MDF.

It's not even that buggy anymore...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13