Poll

I play/prefer...

Vanilla DF 40.x
Still playing Masterwork for DF 34.x
Both equally.
Both, mostly the new vanilla.
Both, mostly Masterwork.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Poll - MDF or DF40.x ?  (Read 25472 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Poll - MDF or DF40.x ?
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:01 am »

A launcher you might want to look at is the Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher, seems to be designed for just this. Don't know if the source is available, but you could at least take some ideas.

Manilla source is available on request.  It just overwrites with changed files, which does allow some basic combinations. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142295

Here's my proposal for a slightly more general system - it should allow non-conflicting merges within files as well based on a diff from vanilla raws.  That and the standard format I propose is enough to get a simple mod loader / merger system working, which is all we need.  Everyone jumps to proposing amazing parse/merge tools, but we already have Rubble for that and it's way too intimidating for new players.  We need a system trivial to use, easy to add content for, and simple to build and maintain.  My proposal is linked above. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2014, 03:52:03 pm »

Mod starter pack sounds good. How will you decide what mods to put in?

Any mods that will work and that I have permission to. I can legitimately include pretty much anything; all I need is a sufficiently robust creature variation system to patch stuff in to creatures just in case everything is modified. I could probably also program in better categories to the mod manager to make it less hackish and more like legit categories (filtering, mutual exclusivity, prerequisites etc.)

Here's the first part of the mod pack. It's just summa my stuff and a mostly-accidentally-included fortress defense (it was in Fantastic and dummied out for 0.40, so I forgot it was there) for now.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2014, 04:53:22 pm »

Not sure if this is where I should make suggestions for the DF2014 version of Masterwork (I assume it's currently being worked on), but here they are:

1. An option to turn off multi-level trees.
2. Greatly reduce the amount of rumours/events you know about when you start adventure mode. The Map-screen is absolutely confusing in vanilla

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »

Those are both impossible.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2014, 05:08:54 pm »