Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39

Author Topic: PyLNP 0.14e-pre1 - Cross-platform launcher with graphics pack patching  (Read 316114 times)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PyLNP 0.9 - Cross-platform Lazy Newb Pack port with graphics pack patching
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2015, 05:47:10 am »

I'm using XFCE on debian-testing and launching the game fails with:
Code: [Select]
xdg-terminal: configured terminal program 'linux' not found or not executableI assume it's because the xprop command in the xdg-terminal script isn't working.

That seems like a likely explanation; in that case, the XFCE check needs to be changed.

Maybe something like this would be an easier way to detect the DE?
DESKTOP_ENV=`ps -eo comm= | egrep '(gnome-session|startkde|startactive|xfce.?-session|fluxbox|blackbox|hackedbox|ratpoison|enlightenment|icewm-session|od-session|wmaker|wmx|openbox-lxde|openbox-gnome-session|openbox-kde-session|mwm|e16|fvwm|xmonad|sugar-session)'`

This returns no matches on my Mint XFCE VM (where the xprop solution works, BTW), so I certainly can't use that as is. Even if I could, I'd still need to figure out which method to use to launch a terminal, so there'd need to be a mapping.

I can, however, replace the xfce check with "ps -eo comm= | egrep xfce", which should work for both of us. I expect to commit the change and release a new build today or tomorrow; if you want to fix it on your end before that, open up xdg-terminal and change the xprop line (line 304) to this:
    elif ps -eo comm= | egrep xfce >/dev/null 2>&1; then DE=xfce;
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:48:51 am by Pidgeot »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2015, 07:42:48 am »

I expect to commit the change and release a new build today or tomorrow

One moment please, while I get a couple of pull requests sorted out  :P
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2015, 10:37:01 am »

The code might be a little less elegant, but I can special-case /data/speech/ - it'll use the same format and all, it's just including it in comparisons and excluding from simplification.  Is there anything else outside "raw/*.txt" that someone might want to include?
Would there be a way to use a manifest to explicitly list the files to merge or replace?  Without a manifest, use the "minor mod" mode you described.  Anyone who wants to get fancy just needs to knuckle-down and build a manifest.

A small number of mods include Stonesense graphics, and I'm sure some others wander into different dark corners of the folder tree.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Nemoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »

I can, however, replace the xfce check with "ps -eo comm= | egrep xfce", which should work for both of us. I expect to commit the change and release a new build today or tomorrow; if you want to fix it on your end before that, open up xdg-terminal and change the xprop line (line 304) to this:
    elif ps -eo comm= | egrep xfce >/dev/null 2>&1; then DE=xfce;

It was also brought to my attention that most DEs set the environment var $DESKTOP_SESSION which works for me but I don't know about the others.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »

The code might be a little less elegant, but I can special-case /data/speech/ - it'll use the same format and all, it's just including it in comparisons and excluding from simplification.  Is there anything else outside "raw/*.txt" that someone might want to include?
Would there be a way to use a manifest to explicitly list the files to merge or replace?  Without a manifest, use the "minor mod" mode you described.  Anyone who wants to get fancy just needs to knuckle-down and build a manifest.

A small number of mods include Stonesense graphics, and I'm sure some others wander into different dark corners of the folder tree.

In short, no. I'm really not keen on the idea of a manifest, and this would be incredibly bloated and difficult to write. It also won't work to merge stuff outside those folders.

The only real case for a manifest is tooltips, and those could be handled like utilities.
 Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2015, 06:06:19 am »

I expect to commit the change and release a new build today or tomorrow

The reason this didn't happen yet is because the very same day, my hard drive decided to not work properly anymore, and I couldn't boot my computer again.

I can still access the data, so I am currently about 21 hours into a chkdsk (which claims to be 10% done!). Once that's done, I will be attempting to move everything to a pair of new drives (which will run in RAID1), and *then* I will be able to commit again.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »

Any news?  chkdsk making progress?
 Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »

Chkdsk ran for 3 days (!) and then the computer rebooted spontaneously - no idea why, maybe there's a limitation on the Windows setup disk I used to run it. Anyway, I *was* able to rescue almost all of the data (I lost about 20GB of the 2TB I was using, but nothing irreplacable) and set up software RAID1 a few days ago - but my spurious freezing problem seems to have gotten WORSE (the high I/O load is probably triggeting it somehow). I have yet to be able to complete synchronizing of the drives, it keeps freezing after a couple of hours. I don't want to use the computer too much until that sync is done.

Today, I've tried both replacing the motherboard and running on the integrated GPU instead of a separate one, with no luck. I am currently trying one stick of RAM at a time (despite neither stick showing any errors in MemTest, even during the 30-something passes I ran when the problem started happening); the second (and last) stick is being tested right now, and I fully expect it to freeze again some time overnight (but I really, really hope it won't). (EDIT: it just froze as I was going to bed. Oh joy.)

I know it's not a software issue; I had these freezes happening even when I was copying data around with a Linux boot disk to salvage the data and prepare the partitions for Windows RAID. So, assuming this stick of RAM also fails, that only leaves the CPU as the possible faulty component. I really don't want to have to dig even further into my savings (I have 0 income currently, and already spent about 400€ on parts these past two weeks since it failed), so I will likely have to contact Intel and ask about getting it replaced under warranty, and I have no idea how long that might take. I might be able to turn off some things in the BIOS to get it working better until that can happen, but I can't make any promises.

If that *also* doesn't work, then I literally have no idea what to do. At that point everything except the case and a Blu-Ray drive would have been replaced or tested in isolation.

tl;dr: computer is still not working properly, no ETA on a fix.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:36:32 pm by Pidgeot »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »

:-\  That sucks - I hope it works out OK eventually.

On a more positive note, I've got a proof-of-concept going for graphics previews.  See the git repo here, and bitbucket issue here.  Integrating it will involve a fair bit of work in the GUI side, which I'm terrible enough at to leave for someone else to try.  There's also a chance that the colors are done incorrectly, since I don't really understand how DF does that.
 Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2015, 08:38:13 pm »

:-\  That sucks - I hope it works out OK eventually.

I turned off some features in the BIOS this morning, and miraculously, it hasn't frozen yet. This is significantly better than anything I've seen since turning on RAID. There's still about 8 hours of the sync, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Given that the features I turned off (Speedstep and Turbo Boost) were enabled by default, and they are CPU features advertised by Intel, this should prove that the CPU is indeed the culprit (and it only took 18+ months and a hard drive failure to figure out!) I expect to file an RMA tomorrow or on Friday; hopefully I can get a replacement very quickly (and with minimal added downtime).

On a more positive note, I've got a proof-of-concept going for graphics previews.  See the git repo here, and bitbucket issue here.  Integrating it will involve a fair bit of work in the GUI side, which I'm terrible enough at to leave for someone else to try.  There's also a chance that the colors are done incorrectly, since I don't really understand how DF does that.

This is one of those things I've been meaning to take a look at myself, so I greatly appreciate the effort on a starting point. I will take a look at it once I'm finally up and running again.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2015, 06:33:01 am »

The computer finished syncing yesterday, and I've finished restoring all the files I could (a few files are still damaged, but nothing important, and I'll be able to replace them eventually). The computer has been running solid as a rock since I turned off those two features; although there's no way for me to *prove* those two options caused the freezes (before all of this happened, I sometimes went weeks without a freeze), it certainly looks that way (and as I mentioned earlier, the CPU is the only component left anyway).

I've spoken to Intel today, and they've approved me for a replacement under warranty - I need to ship the CPU to them, and then they'll send a new one back. The entire process should take about a week, and of course, I will not be able to use my computer during that time.

However, I don't have to send it straight away - so I expect to spend the next week or two catching up on a bunch of things (including some PyLNP work), and only then will I send it in for replacement. I'll make another post when that happens.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2015, 06:47:02 am »

I was going to selectively quote the good news, but it's all good news!  Literally all of it except the few damaged files!

:D  :D
 Donations here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:37 am »

Something I may find useful:

import urllib,zipfile
urllib.urlretrieve("http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=6028&f=Modest+Mod.zip", "modest_mod.zip")
file=open('modest_mod.zip','rb')
zip=None
try:
    zip=zipfile.ZipFile(file)
except Exception as e:
    raw_input(e)
try:
    zip.extractall('modest')
except Exception as e:
    raw_input(e)

This works for all zip files, of course. You could use the rar library for RARs.

Basically, instead of including a bunch of mods in the download, have people "register" mods for compatibility with the pack.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2015, 04:58:05 am »

Something I may find useful: instead of including a bunch of mods in the download, have people "register" mods for compatibility with the pack.

I've started in that direction with the updates pull, so some of the underlying functions are there.  The catch is going to be avoiding making an option that can cause problems with (eg) an incompatible version of DF - that's easy when I or someone else curates it, but very very hard for any sort of useful download capability.  This might be practical with a better metadata system for components - I've been undecided on a "manifest.json" for mods for a while, but if DFFD implements a full metadata page and someone invents a good registration system we could do enough checking to make the system safe - and maybe extend it to graphics and utilities too.
 Donations here.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »

So I tried downloading the file today, just to see how it would run, and whenever I try to extract it, the main executable is blocked from it being considered malware.  Any idea why?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39