Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39

Author Topic: PyLNP 0.14e-pre1 - Cross-platform launcher with graphics pack patching  (Read 314984 times)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summarising:  updating graphics packs is harder than it sounds, especially in a timely manner.  Collaboration is also tricky, and nobody likes it when things break.

I feel as if this is addressing a different issue. Maybe something related to TWBT? I'm not familiar with DFhack. In any case, I'm positive you know that more graphic support isn't going to fix disorganization and lack of maintenance by set authors when updating to the latest version. Heh.

Hard problems remain hard.  TwbT is promising, but faces performance and correctness issues when used very intensively (see: Gemset).  However if we could eg stop using "tileset magic" and replace it with TwbT, the remaining required changes to the raws might be much simpler and thus easier to collaborate on and/or automate.

Basically I'd like tilesets to be completely raw-independent again, and creature graphics as independent as practical.  I may set up a graphics project aimed at this, if Fricy doesn't get to it first...

I do not like the idea of making tilesets require TWBT beyond what is absolutely necessary. TWBT and DFHack isn't everyone's cup of tea, and making it harder still to play the game for those people (by not allowing tilesets to work the magic they've relied on for years now) seems problematic to me.

It's not going to be any better for the 64-bit builds we're eventually going to see. Who knows how long it'll take before both DFHack and TWBT are working on those?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

I don't intend to rely on TwbT, for this and the perf/correctness issues noted above. (I'd prefer a flexible declarative mini language which takes newly released raws and emits the pack)

No obvious solution, but I'm still thinking about it.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't intend to rely on TwbT, for this and the perf/correctness issues noted above. (I'd prefer a flexible declarative mini language which takes newly released raws and emits the pack)

No obvious solution, but I'm still thinking about it.

Now that sort of thing, I'm fine with. Carry on then :)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile

I may set up a graphics project aimed at this, if Fricy doesn't get to it first...
Here's a new thread, so we don't hijack this one.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PyLNP 0.10f - Cross-platform Lazy Newb Pack port with graphics pack patching
« Reply #409 on: February 14, 2016, 06:28:05 am »

PyLNP 0.10f is now up. It should fix installed keybind detection, and it adds a warning if your configuration is invalid (allowing you to fix the configuration before launching DF).

An "invalid configuration" is when PyLNP doesn't know of the value you're using for an option, or if you are using a TWBT print mode with DFHack disabled.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PyLNP 0.10f - Cross-platform Lazy Newb Pack port with graphics pack patching
« Reply #410 on: February 14, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »

Cannot get it to run on Windows 8.1
Python 2.7 and 3.5 tested.
Installed vcredist.
I know the tool and used it some time ago, but now it does not work for me anymore.
There are no log files.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 14, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »

Cannot get it to run on Windows 8.1
Python 2.7 and 3.5 tested.
Installed vcredist.
I know the tool and used it some time ago, but now it does not work for me anymore.
There are no log files.

If you're not running the source code, you don't need Python installed.  If you are, does python launch.py work?

PyLNP no longer creates empty log files, as we decided this was unhelpful and decreased attention to actual error logs.
 Donations here.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2016, 05:09:24 pm »

No I tried to run the .exe file and just did everything I could find in the readme.
It is kinda hard to get any debugging going when you do not know where to look for errors.
After a redownload and restart of the computer it now works... with the old vcredist uninstalled :D (got a lot of newer versions though).

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2016, 06:15:08 pm »

I realize the X.05 pack is not a stable release, but have people been having much in the way of crashes? My first embark with it, and its crashed twice(the two crashes aren't easily relate-able) before the first caravan. Just asking if maybe its the gen/embark, or maybe I should try and find the .04 pack if it was a little more stable?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2016, 11:26:08 pm »

@Couchmonster - I guess all's well that ends well!

@Brody - seems to vary.  In any case, no 42.xx version is stable so stick to the 40.24 pack if that's what you want (I do recommend this).
 Donations here.

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2016, 10:45:39 am »

DF itself has never been completely stable, so that doesn't bother me too much, just wondering if it was a common issue with the .05 pack. If its just the usual cutting edge issues, I'm totally fine with it. I just wish it was a readily repeated crash so I had more input than just "It crashed."

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PyLNP 0.11 is now up. It mainly adds support for utility manifests and readme files, and also improves visual display of Windows builds when running at non-standard DPI settings.

Utility authors and pack maintainers: See the PyLNP readme for details on the manifests.

EDIT: A quick hotfix has been made to fix a minor bug in the readme opening code and binaries re-uploaded as 0.11 with this. There was only a single download before this, so it's not really worth bumping the version number. If you downloaded within the first hour, you might want to re-download.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:27:25 pm by Pidgeot »

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just realized this is the program for managing the starter pack.

I'm having a bizarre issue which has rendered my game unplayable.

Please see my post in the LNP thread for details: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg7006582#msg7006582

Edit: Super bizarre, isn't it?  Hoping for some good news on being able to debug it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:43:57 am by DAOWAce »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'd be cool if there was a pane on the graphics pack selection tab that displayed a screenshot to help users pick out a pack. Maybe it could display some additional info about the pack too. Maybe the additional info could be stored in the manifest. And maybe it would get the screenshot from a png file of a particular name in the same folder as the manifest.

Spoiler: Mockup (click to show/hide)

If that's too hard, that's okay. I'm just glad to be able to install and switch packs so easily. But, could you maybe make the "Play Dwarf Fortress!" button stop at least like 30 pixels away the left and right edges of the window so that it doesn't overlap with the little button to resize the window? I'm guessing this must only be an issue on the Mac version.

Thank you!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39