Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39

Author Topic: PyLNP 0.14e-pre1 - Cross-platform launcher with graphics pack patching  (Read 316516 times)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pyLNP dont launching
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:49 pm »

vanilla DF works well, but clicking pyLNP gives no response

even no error message, it just ignore clicking.  not launching, very sad.

Do you see a file named stderr.txt after launching? If yes, what does it contain?

yunejae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:28 pm »

Do you see a file named stderr.txt after launching? If yes, what does it contain?

i said. nothing appears.,

even such stderr.txt

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 20, 2016, 03:57:14 pm »

i said. nothing appears.,

even such stderr.txt

Assuming it isn't being blocked by your anti-virus for some reason, the only reason I've ever seen that prevented PyLNP from launching is if it was located in a path containing accented or non-English characters. (Unfortunately it's not fully Unicode-compatible yet, due to being built with Python 2.)

As a workaround, you could try installing Python and running PyLNP from a source download. Alternatively, try downloading this version and run it from a command prompt (*not* by double-clicking); this version should at least print an error message if nothing else.

PuddingDeity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Could I suggest you either have the option to install graphics packs inform you that it's going to overwrite your entire raws folder (And apparently delete it too, as even files I added that weren't originally there were gone afterwards) and ask you if you're sure? Or at least create a backup of the file if not that. Preferably both. I don't blame you for this since it was my own amateur mistake for having not backed up the raws folder just in case knowing I had things to lose, but I'd spent several hours changing things in the raws and have lost that all in a few seconds, so it seems like this should definitely be a part of the program. The only thing resembling a backup I found was also using the default game raws including the lack of any files I added.

I apologize if I sound somewhat confrontational or antagonistic here by the way, but this happened only a few minutes ago and I'm still rather frustrated.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think you're supposed to install your mods directly into the Dwarf Fortress folder. I haven't messed with mods any, but I think PyLNP installs them similarly to graphics packs. The manual mentions a "Mods" folder. https://bitbucket.org/Pidgeot/python-lnp/#rst-header-mods

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but it should still be documented more clearly, since that is how you install personal mods without a launcher. From the readme, it sounds to me like the mods folder is just a recommendation - it doesn't say anything about personal edits to the raw folder being deleted.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:54:43 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems fair. I'll try to clarify it a bit more for the next release.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Seems fair. I'll try to clarify it a bit more for the next release.
"Looks like you have some really nice raw edits in here.  It would be a shame if... something were to happen to them.  Know what I mean?"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

This is why Rubble has step 1 in its install instructions "backup your raws!", followed by a line or two about how Rubble feels free to destroy anything it wants in your DF directory, so you really should use it with a fresh copy...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It looks like PyLNP uses either a white list or black list to determine what settings a graphics pack is allowed to change in the init.txt and d_init.txt files. Currently PyLNP doesn't allow a graphics pack to change the "ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED" setting in the d_init.txt file. I think that maybe graphics packs should be allowed to change this setting. I believe tileset artists will design their walls with a particular setting in mind. To look good with engravings, walls need to be drawn to take up nearly the full size of the tile. And I think tileset artists will also use transparency tricks to make engraved walls glow with the engravings obscured. I think tilesets should be allowed to change this setting by default, but then give users the ability to override the tileset's setting.

PuddingDeity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This is why Rubble has step 1 in its install instructions "backup your raws!", followed by a line or two about how Rubble feels free to destroy anything it wants in your DF directory, so you really should use it with a fresh copy...

Yeah, since I've redone it I've been more careful to make sure my raws are backed up every time I finish making edits to anything.

Admittedly it was a seriously amateurish mistake and I should have known better even though this was my first time modding DF, but I figured it'd be best to bring attention to it so that a warning could potentially be implemented so other people can avoid this happening to them.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing with the Mod feature of PyLNP. I think I've got it mostly figured out, but I can't tell that it has a feature to uninstall mods. Right now I'm installing an empty mod to switch the game back to vanilla.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

IIRC installing an empty list of mods should work?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PyLNP 0.12 is now up.

The main changes include PeridexisErrant's new importer feature - to bring over content from a previous DF installation or starter pack, and a complete overhaul of terminal handling on Linux, to no longer rely on an external shell script and instead include a pure Python implementation of the same basic functionality (and an interface to choose which terminal to use, in case multiple are available on your system).

Additionally, various bugs have also been fixed.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the update!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39