Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39

Author Topic: PyLNP 0.14e-pre1 - Cross-platform launcher with graphics pack patching  (Read 316305 times)

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile

The path with "Michael" in it does not need fixing. It is only displayed in error messages and not used for anything else.

Do you know what PyLNP version you're using? If it's not 0.12c or newer, can you try upgrading?
The version is actually 0.12b

0.12c is Windows-only; it was a packaging issue specific to that platform and there are no code changes from 0.12b.

Please open File > Configure terminal in PyLNP and make sure you have selected a terminal from the drop-down.

If the only option that appears is "Custom command", then you'll have to provide your own command before you can launch a DFHack-enabled Dwarf Fortress from PyLNP. If you can give me some information about your Linux installation (distribution and desktop environment being the most important data), it may be possible for me to give more detailed instructions (or possibly even add detection for it).

Linux Mint 18.2 with Cinnamon (I forgot the version and actually I can't check it).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:46:10 am by Jostino »

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0.12c is Windows-only; it was a packaging issue specific to that platform and there are no code changes from 0.12b.

Please open File > Configure terminal in PyLNP and make sure you have selected a terminal from the drop-down.

If the only option that appears is "Custom command", then you'll have to provide your own command before you can launch a DFHack-enabled Dwarf Fortress from PyLNP. If you can give me some information about your Linux installation (distribution and desktop environment being the most important data), it may be possible for me to give more detailed instructions (or possibly even add detection for it).
Linux Mint 18.2 with Cinnamon (I forgot the version and actually I can't check it).

I had another user report that same issue on that distro/DE, but I haven't been able to reproduce it on my own install yet.

It's *supposed* to give GNOME as an option in your case, but for some reason it's not working for everyone.

As a workaround, put nohup gnome-terminal -x as a custom command, and then it should work.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:01:02 pm by Pidgeot »

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile

I had another user report that same issue on that distro/DE, but I haven't been able to reproduce it on my own install yet.

It's *supposed* to give GNOME as an option in your case, but for some reason it's not working for everyone.

As a workaround, put nohup gnome-terminal -x as a custom command, and then it should work.

Solved selecting the GNOME terminal. Thanks @Pidgeot

After a new download of the LNP seems not working anymore with GNOME and neither with the command you provide. :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:26:41 am by Jostino »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pidgeot, please consider adding "Seasonal Colors" to the DFHack tab, in support of Meph's Seasonal colors. This season-palette.lua script is now included as part of the standard DFhack package. (Find in \hack\scripts\.) All such an option would have to do is add "season-palette start" to onMapLoad_PyLNP.init. That's it.

There are a number of players who prefer to use this, myself included. And this script is enabled by default, both with the popular Masterwork mod and Meph Tileset. There's also recent talk of adding Meph Tileset back to PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack and it would be nice to be able to enable Seasonal Colors from PyLNP.

Finally, would you consider splitting the "Multilevel View" option in the DFHack tab into separate "Multilevel View (5 levels)" and "Multilevel View (10 levels)" options, with the former as the default? Currently, "Multilevel View" is enabled by default and adds "multilevel 5" to onMapLoad_PyLNP.init. But some prefer "multilevel 10" and this is what Meph Tileset uses.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:25:23 pm by Thundercraft »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe all of that is stuff individual pack maintainers, like PE, would have to add, not something PyLNP would need to do.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Solved selecting the GNOME terminal. Thanks @Pidgeot

After a new download of the LNP seems not working anymore with GNOME and neither with the command you provide. :(

If you're using the command, make sure it's set to "Custom command". It would also be helpful to know if there are any error messages.

I'm making a change for the next release which will *hopefully* alleviate this slightly, but since I don't have a reproducible test case it can be difficult to figure out what's going wrong...

I believe all of that is stuff individual pack maintainers, like PE, would have to add, not something PyLNP would need to do.

Correct; everything listed in the DFHack list is provided by pack authors..

CrazyMalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello! I'm trying to start playing the game, and downloaded Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack. After trying to open the PyLNP launcher, it gave me the following error:
"Windows cannot access the especified device,path or file.You may not have permission to access the item."
I tried downloading PyLNP form here to see if it fixed the error, but it also gave me the same error.
Any help?
I'm using windows 7 X64, if that helps.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

PyLNP crashes with a nasty error on (Arch) linux:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Using Python 3.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello! I'm trying to start playing the game, and downloaded Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack. After trying to open the PyLNP launcher, it gave me the following error:
"Windows cannot access the especified device,path or file.You may not have permission to access the item."
I tried downloading PyLNP form here to see if it fixed the error, but it also gave me the same error.
Any help?
I'm using windows 7 X64, if that helps.

It's not an error I can recall hearing about before. The only possibiltiy I can think of is that something is wrong with your computer's TEMP directory, since PyLNP needs to extract data to there.

PyLNP crashes with a nasty error on (Arch) linux:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Using Python 3.

Yes, unfortunately there's a Python 3 bug in the repository right now, but I can't easily push out a fix before I do another release... the plan was to wait for the Artifact update for DF, but if that doesn't happen in the next couple of days I'll probably end up doing a release anyway.

As a temporary workaround, open the file mentioned and change that line to just be "return tuple(sorted(result))". Alternatively, stick to the pre-built binaries available on Bitbucket, since they should definitely work.

CrazyMalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not an error I can recall hearing about before.
Yeah, i only found one more person on Reddit that had this error.

something is wrong with your computer's TEMP directory
I don't know what it could be. The folder is not set to ready only, so any help would be apreciated.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not an error I can recall hearing about before.
Yeah, i only found one more person on Reddit that had this error.

something is wrong with your computer's TEMP directory
I don't know what it could be. The folder is not set to ready only, so any help would be apreciated.

All I can find is this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2669244/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device--path--or-file-error-when

Try to see if any of these apply to you; maybe it'll at least narrow down the cause.

The executable packer used for PyLNP extracts temporary files to a randomly named folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp; the folder will be named _MEI<something>.

As a possible workaround, you could consider installing Python and running PyLNP from source instead of using the pre-built executables.

CrazyMalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

None of those solutions worked, and i have no idea of how to do that workaround ._.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

None of those solutions worked, and i have no idea of how to do that workaround ._.

1. Install Python from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/ - pick one of the two presented near the top (3.x or 2.7.x); I try to keep PyLNP working on both, but I do most testing on 2.7
2. Download the PyLNP source code from Bitbucket - generally you'll want to go with a named version, not "tip", so currently you'd pick 0.12c: https://bitbucket.org/Pidgeot/python-lnp/downloads/?tab=tags
3. Create a folder next to your current copy of the executable and extract the source code there.

To start, just double-click launch.py in the folder you extracted the code to.

For a better looking logo, read this: https://bitbucket.org/Pidgeot/python-lnp#rst-header-running-from-source

CrazyMalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks! I finally worked with the python procedure! Now i can finally play the game, thanks to you!

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PyLNP 0.13 - Cross-platform Lazy Newb Pack port with graphics pack patching
« Reply #509 on: November 23, 2017, 04:57:21 am »

This took a lot longer than I would have liked, but PyLNP 0.13 is now finally up.

The main addition is a brand new documentation page, available at http://pylnp.birdiesoft.dk/docs. Additionally, there are now toggles for pausing on damp/warm stone announcements, Linux terminals should be a little bit easier to deal with, and some bugs have been fixed.

For developers: The PyLNP repository now has a mirror on Github. If you want to contribute, you are welcome to use that one instead of the Bitbucket repository, should you prefer. Changes between Github and Bitbucket are automatically synchronized every 15 minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39