Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Other games like LCS?  (Read 12646 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other games like LCS?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »

There are also the games Cataclysm, crash developped during forty-eight hours for a competition and whose developpement was halted, and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, a community release of the former.

They are survival game in a Zombie apocalypse and very realist - it's basically "Dwarf Fortress meets Resident Evil."

The only problem is that I don't know how to make it work on my computer, with its Lua files.

I haven't messed with Lua (grabbed the Windows pack but haven't touched it since) and DDA runs fine on my WinXP laptop.  Linux?

I downloaded the Wondows terminal version on a Windows 7 OS, and the program seems to freeze when launched.

Win7's been fucking up for a while now.  Not enough info to work out what the issue is here, but we've a thread in Other Games and there's the whole subforum over at our place if you'd like.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 12:27:01 pm »

There are also the games Cataclysm, crash developped during forty-eight hours for a competition and whose developpement was halted, and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, a community release of the former.

They are survival game in a Zombie apocalypse and very realist - it's basically "Dwarf Fortress meets Resident Evil."

The only problem is that I don't know how to make it work on my computer, with its Lua files.

I haven't messed with Lua (grabbed the Windows pack but haven't touched it since) and DDA runs fine on my WinXP laptop.  Linux?

I downloaded the Wondows terminal version on a Windows 7 OS, and the program seems to freeze when launched.

Win7's been fucking up for a while now.  Not enough info to work out what the issue is here, but we've a thread in Other Games and there's the whole subforum over at our place if you'd like.

I finally uploaded and built the source code this Tuesday, and I will test the game during the next holidays.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:07 am »

I would recommend Anamnesis! It is a text-based strategy/adventure hybrid with Lovecraft mythos, where you can control armies and battleships (or tentacular megabeasts is playing for the bad guys). There are both strategic and adventurous victory conditions, so you can win in multiple ways.

http://blog.anamnesis.co/

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 06:15:18 pm »

I finally uploaded and built the source code this Tuesday, and I will test the game during the next holidays.

Experimentals come built already.

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 10:39:11 am »

I've lost so many hours to CDDA the past months. Interesting to note is that the game is under very active development. Nearly every day about 10 changes are made. Sometimes a new tea blend, sometimes something really welcome like jumper cables, and sometimes something awesome and game changing like being able to craft recipes from books. I remember once reporting a bug and finding it fixed the following morning. Awesome! It also has one of the highest number of merges on all of github. Very very active development. Very cool.

For any who decide to go check it out, I hope your character meets a softer death than my 1 yo survivor did through a 120mm shell, piercing the windshield of my RV catching it with his face.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:29 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, we aim to... well not please.
More like frustrate in a highly pleasurable fashion.

If you're interested in more info and/or support, our forums are at http://smf.cataclysmdda.com.
If you (understandably) don't want Yet Another Forum Account, there's a pretty active thread here on bay12 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.0

We're working our way toward a release, just since I'm editing it right now, here's a PARTIAL version of the release notes for the upcoming version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 08:53:24 am »

Republic: The Revolution has some similar game mechanics to LCS. It has really annoying design features as well, and really drags on with the linear plot and mission-based structure. Finished it once, no interest to play through again since there's not really much feeling that the plot would be different if you "chose" different things. I'd really like a more LCS-like revolution game with more open ended decisions.

Gangsters: Organized Crime is also pretty similar, but with a 1930's gangster wars theme. Looks cool but I haven't played through it much to check it out.
Pages: 1 [2]