Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN  (Read 83336 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN
« Reply #915 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:21 am »

Yeah, Insidious is making the cut (it'd be a good way of funding a mercenary build). Relatedly, I'm beefing up Mercenary to a -2, because right now nobody is tempted to take it normally.

I'm always interested in more different kinds of flaws. I liked how the new flaws Lover and Minimalist caused a bit of mischief in this game.

Graverob I'm making 4 points, raising Free-Graverob to 8 points, which is slightly more prohibitive but still viable.

Auto-Swap is being included:

2 - Auto Swap (swap any auto you have with a random auto your target has.)

This is the Kill-Immune replacement I'm considering:

5 - Kill Resistant - (you ignore one kill per cycle)

The 'cycle' lasts from day beginning to day beginning so includes kills that happen during lynch processing. You can only have one of each kind of auto, so players that want extra protection can buy Resurrection as well.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 13, 2014, 10:29:34 am »

I like those changes, NQT.

Also, here's my three-man scumteam build, using the old rules (as in the rules for this game):

The Con Man:
patsy (-3)
free mask swap (-6)
minimalist (+1)
hardcore (+1)
Unable to vote (+2)

The Medic:
free-innate-cleanse (-5)
flexible (-2)
magnetic (+2)

The Trojan Horse:
innate kill immune (-9)
scan (-1)
one-shot (+2)
generous (+2)
mercenary (+1)

Basically, the medic clears everyone of their flaws, starting with the con man.  The trojan horse role is given to the player who is least likely to draw attention to themselves, and on D3 they buy flexible and can sell their innate kill immune to take up far more sinister powers.  In the meantime, however, their role looks fairly townie, to the extent that it can be, given that they have nothing that could harm the town and appear focused on staying alive.  The con man swaps masks and creates new ones every day, such that only the scum know who has what mask.  Patsy is for added amusement, likely to be used D1.

Also, NQT, I think one-shot should be changed so that it reads: free powers instead lose their free upgrade.  It allows you to have technically two-shot powers.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 13, 2014, 10:34:51 am »

Another random build, this time a town one.

The watchful guardian:
Free-track
Free-patrol
Protect
Blatant
Hardcore
Minimalist
Unable to Vote

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 13, 2014, 11:23:06 am »

Here's a few roles for next time, using some of the suggestions and things that have been confirmed to be being used:
The Lifelong Doctor (2 xp):
Free-innate-protect (-5)
Professional (-1)
Insidious (+1)
Mercenary (+2)

Start with two points, use it to protect two people.  At the end of the round, you will get at least two points back, allowing you to do it again.

The only problem with this is how easy it is to make kills unstoppable...

There's also my way of making a self-contained xp farm, like so:
Bloodthirsty (-1)
Self-targeted bless (-3)
Scan (-1)
Holy (-3)
Flexible (-2)
Magnetic (+2)
Unable to Vote (+2)
Insidious (+1)

If the player is on the lynch, they get at least five points a day: one from day end, one from being on the lynch, one from insidious, and at least two from selling what they get with self-targeted bless.  It is also a build that in no way involves screwing other people over, so that's a plus.

Of course, there's also just this combo which is actually more effective:
Free-self-targeted bless (-5)
Holy (-3)
Flexible (-2)
Afflicted (+2)
Unable to Vote (+2)
Insidious (+1)

This would give you at least six points a day, and due to the number of points you get selling off afflicted would not really be necessary, since if what you get from it is bad you just buy that flaw off.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 13, 2014, 11:27:59 am »

*redacted*
Actually, I might want to try this next game, so I'll keep it with me now... :)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 13, 2014, 11:28:06 am »

Mask Swapping, Patsy-making scum are what this game needs more of, definitely. If scum spam patsies before all the masks have been revealed on Day 1 they could get up to 9 fake players in the game, then they could sell off free-patsy for some kills and start raising hell.

I like your idea of One-shot scrapping 'free' to allow two-shot powers.

In general, I want to give people more power to disrupt xp-farming, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on that front.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 13, 2014, 11:31:27 am »

Actually, scan-seep is a nice combo except that people sell and buy immediately. If there was a power that activated upon selling and before buying, you could stop public XP-farmers.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:07 am »

Actually, scan-seep is a nice combo except that people sell and buy immediately. If there was a power that activated upon selling and before buying, you could stop public XP-farmers.
I think that only allowing one session of selling and buying per day would help limit the power of xp farming builds, as they wouldn't be able to, late game, constantly switch powers around and gain abuse the poor game mechanics.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:31 am »

I switched around powers 5 times or so before finally deciding to shoot you, so yeah, that would be a good balance. Or, count additional buy/sell as an action in itself.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 13, 2014, 11:42:12 am »

Hmm, I am tempted to enforce one buying/selling session a day. Or yeah, that's not a bad shout, having additional buying/selling take an action.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 13, 2014, 11:44:50 am »

The current problem I see is actually in the power of power-swap builds.  Perhaps make power swap swap a random power you own with a random power they do, or increase it's price, because, as Toaster proved, it was an effective way to farm points.

Also, here's a suggestion for blocking point gain builds:

Generosity (3): The target gains the effect of the flaw minimalist until after the next lynch.

I switched around powers 5 times or so before finally deciding to shoot you, so yeah, that would be a good balance. Or, count additional buy/sell as an action in itself.
I like this suggestion.  Have you be able to take one free buy/sell action, but any more count as actual actions per the usual mechanics.

Another power that could limit the power of point farm builds (and just generally be annoying):
Delete (5): One of the target's powers or autos (determined randomly) is sold back for no points.

And another power I thought of that is unrelated to point farming:
Blackmail (5): The target's vote counts for 0 votes until after the next lynch.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 13, 2014, 11:47:16 am »

A few power suggestions based on forcing players to sell powers.

Return (Force a player to sell off a power or auto to the store. If the power is Innate, he gets it for the full price)- maybe worth 3 points?
Trade-(targeted player gives you one of their powers or autos that is worth the amount of XP you have. They get the XP for that power)- worth maybe 1 point?
Recall (all players holding a power have to sell it back to the store. Players with Flexible still get full XP back)- 7 points?

An auto suggestion:
Firewall: All actions performed on you by one player of your choice fails. This does not apply to votes. This power can only be bought on D1 or before.

A couple of random suggestions for flaws:
Mole: A player with a different alignment from you gets 1 extra XP each day.
Simple: You can not receive more then 1 XP per day.
Network Robot: If a power is used on you, everyone else except you receives a copy of that power.
Bandwagoner: You can only vote someone two or more people are voting
Public: The number of powers, autos, and flaws you have is listed at the end of the day.
Blocked: A random player can not be targeted by you.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:08:06 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:07 am »

Huh.  I like most of Persus's suggestions (except network robot, firewall, and simple).

Another thing I've noticed: flexible is really, really powerful.  Maybe change it to:
Flexible (2): You may sell one power or auto per day for full price, rather than half price.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 13, 2014, 11:52:55 am »

Also.

Merchant - You may buy/ sell an extra ability per day.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:24 pm »

An auto suggestion:
Thrifty (7 or 8 ): Powers with point costs less than your current amount of xp fail if used against you.  Until you sell this auto, you may not gain more than one xp per day and cannot sell powers, autos, or upgrades for xp.  Any you attempt to sell are cashed in for 0 xp.

To expand on TolyK's suggestion:
Merchant (3): You may take two buy/sell actions per day.

Another power suggestion:
Magnet (7): There is a 50% chance that actions will target your target instead of their intended targets until the next lynch.  Only one player can be affected by magnet at a time: if magnet is used while another player is affected by it, the first effect ends and the second's targeting is unaffected by the first.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:04:41 pm by 4maskwolf »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64