Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you prefer seeing a graphics pack over ascii?

No, I use ascii myself, and don't like graphic packs.
- 13 (26.5%)
No, ascii is natural, but I don't mind graphic packs
- 9 (18.4%)
Neutral option
- 10 (20.4%)
Graphics packs are better for people
- 5 (10.2%)
I use and like graphic packs, ascii is confusing.
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Last Fort [FIN]  (Read 16298 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
The Last Fort [FIN]
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:37 am »

Hello!

I'm back over here to present a playthrough of adventure mode, followed by a fort of unspecified purpose and length, and then hopefully an adventurer to play Nintendo in it.  The catch is that it is that this will most likely be one of the last of its kind that use the old version, specifically v.34.11.
    Now, my raws are modded, in so far as I have changed the tags on a few creatures and even added new ones, including a new civ, the Merlocks.  However, the base game is exactly the same.  Nobody grants me a special cookie because of the changes I have made, and in fact they may prove to make the game more Fun.
Spoiler: i.e. (click to show/hide)

---Reserved for links---

The world, sans my adventurer

Bookmark: The End of Istbar

Bookmark:The Story of Ur, the last migrant

Bookmark:The Short Story of Elven Incompetence

Spoiler: God List (click to show/hide)

The Last Fort, for Realsies

The whole site, as of Autumn 1051 (Zoom out before looking around, because I included one z level about the highest tower to as low as I could see.)

Year 01: Year of the Three A's
-The aquifer gets dug through, we dig basic quarters, and start our military program. 
Our first fortress birth occurs, and we get a profile of the overseer.

Year 02: this Water won't Drain itself
- - We find the caverns after a rather large search, expand our luxuries and begin to plan for the worst case scenario.  Zombies directed by a reptile man attack and raid a few tombs for new corpses, which they leave as an abhorrent vigil when they leave.  The overseer's psyche sees a change.

A quick Adventurer: Am I crying because I this hovel reminds me of my own rathole or that I just killed a cheetah, butchered it, and ate its intenstines?
- - My first experience with the new 40.xx version of DF, as well as a tour of the fort as if it were lost in the Y02 siege to the reptile man necromancer.

Year 03: Nope nope, so much nope
- -We break the zombie siege, and spend almost 6 months cleaning up the dead.

Year 04:  Heroics?
- -The mischievous kobolds get too annoying, we become the barony of Woodwitches, traps get laid in relative earnest, and the humans finally pay a visit.

Year 05:  The Goblins Elves get Upset
- -We kill 2 Forgotten Beasts, break two goblin sieges, unleash some zombies and explore the cavern.  A massive elven raid occurs, followed by a large New Year's party where we meet new friends in earnest.  Year of the warrior indeed.
- - plans for a massive tomb are laid out in the barest of ways.

Year 06: Heroes Don't Die like Heroes, They Rot
- -Another elven raid, our defensive assault on the zombies goes awry, dramatically weakening our military while an Olm Man Diplomat from the humans is executed for crimes against dwarvenkind.  The humans respond with a siege and we fight off several Forgotten Beasts, which included the rot-inducing Soil.
- -Soil managed to infect several otherwise healthy dwarves and war animals with Rot, and it spread throughout the fort, mostly to other animals but to an occasional dwarf.  Tantrum spirals and massive fps loss ensued while we battled both miasma and waterfalls.
- -We finally get some much needed metal from the mountainhomes and begin smelting in earnest, and our diplomat gets murdered by a bugbat.

Year 07: Unconventional Warfare means Everybody Loses
- -We beat the Rot that claimed the lives of many, reform the army, and suffer several casualties due to carelessness and poor timing.
- -Engraving of the fort starts, we find the magma sea and easily accessible pillars within them, and prep the magma forge chamber
- - Hedge knights besiege us and the freelance necromancers return after being let free from the tombs

Year 08 The War Forge Goes HotAbandoned to a New Overseer
- -Zombies, goblins, and a new overseer takes over.  Maybe a new migrant will continue the story.

---

Migrant Adventurer(s?)

I wanna be the Migrant!
- - In the mid-autumn of 1058, a dwarf is outcast by his hamlet and ventures forth to find a reason to survive in the dungeons of the human capital, where the last living dwarves outside of Woodwitches live.
- - After successfully sneaking through the sewers and locating the skeleton of a relatively well-equipped dwarf, our hero gets maimed fighting his way back out, and receives the location of Woodwitches as his ultimate reward.  If only he could find a crutch he could stroll there at his leisure.

Leg Like a Hole
- -We crawl through a forest retreat, encountering all of the outlaws, werebaddies, and outcasts who were skulking in cave around it.  Though we didnt see any lawful elves, we killed plenty and obtained a crutch.
- -My hero companion drowns in the river and I find ChamberJest, the tower that assaults my fort.
- -Knappy Rock Time ensues

The River is Time, and You Downing in it Means You're Dumb
-I find a tower, and play with the zombies some
-I kill more elves.
-I arrive on site, and discover the paradox I have wrought

Democracy Requires Responsibility
-I explore the depths, killing the last Forgotten Beast.
-Game is rendered unplayable in a very anticlimactic way.

Don't be Mad at Me: The story of Elven Incompetence
-A short story about an Elf I was currently playing at the time of Ur's unfortunate conclusion
-Watch as I fail at killing things and unwittingly unleash terror

---

[Fin]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:54:07 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort, a adventure/fort/adventurer v34.11 combo!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:24:47 pm »

Okay  Ill just plop this down here and complain about how absurdly high my savagery setting is and how low the savagery is in the world.

Spoiler: Cyclopean Realms (click to show/hide)

Endyear: 1050
Current Age: Age of Heroes

Estimated Civilized World Populations:

2319 Merlocks
   2 Dwarves
   7969 Humans
   15107 Elves
   2906 Goblins
   351 Kobolds

Total: 28654

Spoiler: Genpram (click to show/hide)

Target Civ: The Flag of Covering
Last known noteable date: 268
Cause of extinction: Elves

Living dwarves:
Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)

Names: Unknown
Occupations: Unknown
Legal Status: Unknown
Spoiler: Pujikicu, Map Location (click to show/hide)

Other Notes:
- Many animal men vampires :|
- A few hero kobolds

- - - - - - - - - -

So, I shall have an adventurer update about tonight.  Ill play this character until I die, with an emphasis placed on doing things that will get engraved.  I will play as a dwarf, pictured here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As a male dwarf outsider, Idensi Nobi Istbar Shadmaltat is going to track down these last two survivors of the dwarven race.  Were they kidnapped and forced to eat their brethren?  Did they have to learn the savage ways of the goblins?  Did the humans offer their fathers sanctuary?  Is one of them a female?  Can the glory of the mountain homes possibly be restored?

Meh.

*EDIT:  There was a . . . thing where I exitted DF before starting the character.  New name, same characteristics.  Istbar Shadmaltat (ConfusedTouches).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:37:11 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

Interval 001

Spoiler: Before I was lost (click to show/hide)

As I explained this to the shopkeeper he stood with with a hesitant and dismissive smirk on his face.

Spoiler: Foodstuffs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Where am I? (click to show/hide)

With a sneer and a flick of the nose I left his abode to find somebody more helpful.

It didn't take me long, as the murmurs of every passerby alerted me to how much I stood out naked and a foot below everybody else.  Soon, three guards came up to me and asked me to come with them to the keep.  I I couldn't refuse without even some trousers on, could I?

Spoiler: BlueTower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Olmman (click to show/hide)

'Good luck, mite pint.'
'Hehheeh, you'll be needing it.  But then again you should be used to the dank stink down here.'

-----

Spoiler: Summary (click to show/hide)
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »

Interval 002

*the forum deleted my post, so have another*

I find a quiver, I grab some bolts from the B2 of the keep

A Human was waiting for me in the next chamber, a multi-level room.  I threw a peasant corpse at him, but it missed.  My thrown bolts didnt.

The human in the following chamber was also brought to his knees by a bolt.  however, I failed to kill him in melee before he got an attack on me.  Lucky it didnt do more.  I played around too much with him, chucking coffers at him

I rummage through the loot that is strewn about.  This is what I did for a while.  Some of it is me being anal, some of it is normal outsider juggling.

Sneaking along on this second level of the dungeon, I find our first character of interest.  A dwarf!!
Spoiler: His description (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: His inventory (click to show/hide)

- - - - -

My stats and infos
Spoiler: description (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)

Now, that dwarf's name is Ape Fanuquemer.  I did keep a fresh copy of the game around, and legends says nothing about him.  He is just a bandit.  I wonder how he was tracked, and if he had a mommy and daddy that  can be traced.  Which would imply he is a dying breed.  but enh.  He's not a friend, so he can die.

*edited for pictures.*
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:16:48 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:47:04 pm »

Interval 003

So when we left off, I was spotted by a dwarf. ---

I checked my logs, and it never stated I was spotted.  Im not saying the game cheated me, but I am saying I thought I was sneaking.  But not at a speed of 608.

Clearly spotted, I backpedaled to the far side of the pillar and slink into the darkness.  The one that looked like me, the dwarf as it were, stopped in the doorway and peered about the room as if his hardened gaze could pierce the darkness.  He only moved when a voice rang up from behind him
'Ahy!  If yere aint gon move inta the room than let the real man do it!'

With a chuckle and a brief look back the dwarf returned to his post while the human proceded into the room. 
After taking a brief moment to readjust my grip on the silver sword I flung it at the human with a short grunt.

Although it didnt strike true, the noise created distracted him long enough for me to throw one of my bolts at him.  This time it struck him center mass, and with a wheeze he collapsed.  Rather than let his companion find him, I risked moving towards him for the kill.  With less than a moment to spare I delivered the killing blow and jumped away from the steel spear.  A brief duel occurs with spears darting and feet jumping away and when it was over a dawning of the irony of settled upon both of us.  With a merciful kick I ended his plight.

After his death, I cradle his head and peer into his dead eyes.  I make a gesture of repentance, cup my hand, and scoop the still oozing blood out of his head and into my quiver.  I have no source of water, and any insurance against death is an unfortunate necessity down here.
I then, of course proceeded to strip him naked and wear everything he owned, loincloth included.  It felt nice to have something in between the steel and I.  Speaking of, his weapon, while standard grade steel, was unquestionably better than my own scavenged iron spear.  Tying the old spear to one of my quivers, I make my way down a third flight of stairs, and then another directly after.

Proceeding down the long and narrow chamber I found myself glazing out.  Had I really just mugged one of my own, and then contemplated drinking his coagulated blood?  Before I was force to bring myself to terms with it, however, I was met with a punch to the face.

'Wha- Oww!'

'Die, profligate scum!'
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:14:03 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:09:20 pm »

Interval 04

Instinctually, I charge the elf, thrusting my spear forward as I fell with her.  The spear seemed to have found her spine, and to her credit she kept trying to fight back despite her mortal wound

As I watched her death throes, I got the idea to study her spasms, learn from them.  She would be worth more to me dead that way.

My gruesome task done, I search through the piles of discarded loot to find another iron pear, which I tie off to my other quiver.  I need to either stop collecting items, or return to the surface to drop it off at a shop soon.  I wonder if I could find something my size, I think to myself as I wander into the next room.  And then I was greeted by the crossbow bolt.

Out from the darkness as bolt slams into my chest.  Despite having 2 cloaks on, the bolt find a home in my tissue layer.  With a curse and a roll, I move up to see what caused my latest pain.  a crossbowman is frantically trying to reload his weapon.  Ripping the spears from their bindings, I throw them ineffectively, and in a move of desperation start throwing iron bolts.  Several bolts find a mark, but only bruise the skin (archery nerf mod is in).  As I consider my odds in a charge a bolt parts my wrist and my weapons clanks to the floor.  With a weak cry I continue my iron  assault.

As one of the bolts finds a home over the heart and lungs I make a charge.  In the heat of battle I start battering the crossbowman with my fists, and my hands find purchase on the human's throat.  Before long the crossbowman passes out and is never heard again.

- - - - - - -

Summary:

Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)

Do note that I didn't min-max, and further screwed up :P opps
Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory 01 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory 02 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: KillList (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Health (click to show/hide)

So in the interest of prolonging the show, I think I will stick to short skits every so often.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:15:20 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:46:37 pm »

Interval 05

Taking a second to secure the room, I examine my wounds.  A serious wound to the chest, a few slashes on my legs, and my wrist.  Nothing that will not heal over time, but I cannot find a good place to rest.  Pushing the bolt out of my wrist, I move on in my search for the vampire.

In the next chamber I find nothing but another helping of pain.  He saw me before I could see him, and he was adjacent to me and even had gotten a stab in on my legs before I slung my shield at him.

In a moment of humor, he retains his grip on my leg and continues to try to shred it.  But no matter, he is easily killed.

This last portion of my current path explored I backtrack to a door I saw a ways back.  Entering it cautiously, I am relieved to find a pillar directly in front of me.
Peering around the pillar, I see a crossbowman in the dark, inattentively fidgeting with his coin purse.  Good, I think, Ill take the time to use some of my copper bolts.

Well, wouldn't you know another elf and a human spearman, see me, forcing my behind the pillar for cover.  A copper bolt and a stab in the chest left the elf neutralized in a pool of its own blood, but the spearman followed me out, and despite my best efforts fought me to a standstill.

And then a knee-still.  And then, after several wicked jabs into my flesh I am afraid I died.  Like a bitch.

Le Sigh.

Post-analysis:

---

So, onto a fort :/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:48:32 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:41 pm »

So, a few spots I have in mind:

Given the general lack of savagery in a lot of the world, Ill be focusing on finding those and other fun things first.
A few things:

-There is savagery, just in sparse pockets, ironically by the seashore.  Ive seen enough pocket worlds now to suspect this has something to do with the coding,

-There is evils.

-There are a few towers in the world, and most locations will have at least one as a neighbor.

-The Elves are still at war with us, and of course I dont expect too much help from the mountainhomes.

This all said:

-A savage 'jungle just north of the southern shore.  Hot, potentially next to a brook, and I could have a beach (but not the ocean proper) if I choose.  It also will most likely have me invoke 'embark anywhere' and snag a goblin tomb.  It has at least 4 slabs in it and usually as many coffins.  It seems to be comprises of 7 or 8 small towers. scattered around a hillside.  There is also a tower nearby.

-A shrine with a living hill titan on it, in a scorching biome on the ocean.  Savage.  Note how there is a sack of minted coins, 1051, by the titan on Granite 1st, 1051.
-The titan himself has just under 900 kills.

-Other sites of decidedly less interest.
Ideas include
---A sinister tundra by the merlocks with two caves that, as far as I could see without unpausing, 5 elf outlaws and much loots.
---A jungle by on the site of the very elves we war with that has up to 5 caves/lairs in one 5x5 embark.
---The original moutnainhomes of my civ, a rather calm and snowy mountain with an aquifer and  Not much else.

If anyone has any input before Friday or so,  Ill certain keep it in mind, other wise I will most likely choose one of the above.  It is my intention to keep explorers in mind when building.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:19:31 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Help me choose my site?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »

Into the jungle!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:38:37 am »

Alright, into the jungle it is.  To be honest, I have never tried to embark over a site, whether the game actually had a physical site there or not.  So, its sure to be fun.   Doing some research, The goblin civ who owns the tomb has indeed had several members entombed in there, from back before the dwarves died out.  That would most likely make this site one of the oldest unmolested sites in the world.

In addition, the tower nearby (across the jungle) is home to over 10 necromancers.  And their servants?  Exactly 200 dwarves.  O.o  How long have they been shut in?  So, several humes, a goblin or two, and a reptile man necromancer will be visiting us, on the site of a tomb.  With curses (do they work in fortress mode?) and skeletons strewn about the various tombs.

I said I would keep adventurers in mind for this fort, something I have given some idle thought to.  Ideas include making the main entrance inside one of the tombs, using the tomb itself as part of the fort, decorating all of the tombs in some fashion, and placing more weapon traps than I am used to doing (but not cheesing it, some of the tomb rooms seem to have the cheese covered).  I should make it to the third cavern at least before abandoning, and consider abandoning before everyone is a fiery ball of death.  In this version, at least, all entities on-site will scatter about the site when it is abandon, and once the site is re-loaded in adventurer all creatures retain their alliances/hostilities.

This will actually be one of the more interesting forts, I hope.  I took the liberty of setting up the embark Sunday.  With no less than 9 tombs in our sight. What could possibly go wrong?

---

Mods I can think of off the top of my head that will affect gameplay:

Broken Arrow
My own merlock civ, minor changes to the raws
Kobolds also have the mischievous tag
Farming nerf (it takes more time for plants to grow, seasons available reworked)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:42:09 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:43 pm »

Season 01Attempt 01

I am using Dwarf Therapist and DFHack.  DF hack is mostly the standard download and I really use it more for the bugfixing than anything else.  Things like children being the proper size is important.

Starting out embark:

Starting Seven:

Some mummies, some tombs, some fun.

I set up the embark after choosing a location.

and then I unpause

And discover that yes, mummies do in fact work in fortress mode.  GGA.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:30:55 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Tombraiding!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:09:14 pm »

Setup 02

So, I guess I learned that Toady doesn't cut corners :P

Rather than continue until they all died and re-embarking, I think I'll just try again.  I dont want the extra goodies strewn about.

So, same dwarves, same embark, same kit-out.  Since I can assume that the game will follow its adventurer mechanics, so long as my own boys don't penetrate and view the sarcophagi all shall be well . . . until a necromancer gets in one, summons the mummy as a new friend, and then they both proceed to raise the ambient skeletons and murder all of us.

Spoiler: Setup02 (click to show/hide)

And have a general overview of the ground level of the whole site:
Spoiler: Site overview (click to show/hide)

This time's for realsies, okay?
Ill have time tomorrow.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 05:24:22 pm »

Season 01

Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1051

I've woken up from the experimental Dwarf CapsuleTM that has released us last week.  I don't know how long it took for it to wake us, but I remember the shuddering of stone as I groggily slipped into some clothing and checked on the health of the others.  over half of us were shriveled messes, more dust than bone, while another portion of us seem to have melted.  All told, only 7 of us have made through the process.  It looks like the magma was too powerful of a catalyst . . .  poor beards.

For the ones of us left, we took stock of ourselves.  Tekkud and Bomrek, miners.  Olon and Domas, our wood and stone workers.  Minkot, a young farmer, Thob, who claims to be a master weaponsmith, and Geshud, a hunter by rights.

that's all of us.  No cheesemakers, no beekeepers, loomers, or warriors proper.  Blasts!  Well, at least the mountainhome can supply us with support, after we find them topside.

---

We've been lost in the jungle for days.  Its so hot, and there is no trace of civilization, friendly or otherwise!  Is this corner of the world deserted?  Some of us think this is a bad omen, and I've heard whispers of elves . . . or worse.  What if the world proved too tough for civilized progress?  I have my own doubts, but I told them to shut up, and pointed out the occasional slugman we spot in the distance.

---

After almost a full week of travel, we will go no further.  With dissent growing, we decided to stop at some kind of above ground tomb.  Out of respect for the dead, we have decided to only use the main entrance for our purposes, lest a curse befall us.  We will fortify ourselves here, and make an outpost in case it is needed for service.

---

The main hallway is a standard 'hallowed prong' setup.  since we don't need to access the upper portions of it we went ahead and removed the stairs granting access.  We have some stone and wood we pulled from the storage room, but if we are to make a home we need more.  the right wall is hollow, and when we pulled the wall down we found it to be a room of abandoned weapon traps.  Noting the odd placement of the traps, we disassembled them to find weapons of foreign make.  They were clearly spears, crossbows and swords, but their make belied dwarven makers.  Could be the humans, given the mediocre quality.

---

Construction of the underground pass could be better, but also could be worse.  The area appears to have a vast aquifer beneath it, 1-2 urists thick, according to our estimates.  By digging into the hillside we did find a way around it, but for convenience's sake we decided to cork it.  do it once, do it right, ya Journal?  In any matter, we are also digging out two small farms.  Figure the water that floods the chamber can also be used to irrigate our crops.

---

Tekkud is starting to worry me.  The little whiner has not been right in the head ever since I gave him the order to drop the cork.  He was, of course, knocked out, and some of the debris thunked his chest, but its more than that.  He insisted he sleep outside in the rain, and then complained about it!  The ungrateful lad may as well have spit in the face of Olon!

I told him to go kill an armadillo that was trying to get at our stocks, hoping the bloodshed would cheer him up.  Something's gotta give, summer's on the air.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:43:29 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 07:38:19 pm »

Spoiler: absence (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ma Tunes (click to show/hide)
Season 02

Journal of the Overseer
  Summer, 1051

The armadillo only made things worse with our whiney beard.  He ran about complainin' 'how dare I get sent to hurt an innocent creature'!  When ordered to clear the rest of the farms out for crops he refused to do his share, sitting in the pastures all day.  He was either talking to himself or the animals, and it spooked the rest of us so much that I had to confront him about it.

---

I asked him why he was being such a rock nut about our position, and he had the nerve to complain about being ordered to fight!  He starts screaming up a storm cussin and hollerin about how he isn't some grunt to be pushed into service and without a please or a drink to boot.  I thought I would have to punch him unconscious when suddenly he pales and stops short.  Turning around to see what could have saved my ringing ears it was a small group of dwarves.

---

Bloody Bomreks, a group of dwarves looking bewildered and lost but as stout as anything else in the world!  The mountainhomes had found us as we all had hoped!  With temperance and a huff of authority I greeted them and apologized for any distress our untidy provisional station had caused them.  I went on to explain how we emerged from the Capsuletm but 4 month ago, and that within the next year we would have sufficient accommodations, provided the mountainhomes approved of our endeavors.  When I asked for news they hesitantly informed me that they were from 'Vault 016'.  What was that?  Anyway, it seems the mountainhomes had created more experimental housing units than we were informed of, and they had also only recently emerged into the world.  They had no news of the mountainhomes and indeed had less knowledge of its situation than we did.  Blasts.  Well, I offered them asylum, such as it could be offered.  They accepted and after examining their skills against the needs of the outpost we got them to work.  At least we have help in these troubling times.  Tekkud isn't offering much lately, but at least he is getting back to work, though he still talks to himself like a deranged goblin.

---

The worst may have just happened.  The farms are fully dug out, and mostly tilled, but we've just experienced dwarf-on-dwarf crime.  Tekkud, in a peevish fit of rage, ran off to the weapon stockpile and began throwing some silver bolts around!  Holding one of the retrieved weapon traps in one hand, he just starting squinting at invisible targets and tossing bolts one at a time, laughing merrily as dwarves tried to dodge left and right.  Perhaps it was a mistake to store weapons in the main hall; we only wanted to be prepared for any ambush our unknown enemies might have lain for us.  When his trap was mostly depleted a few of the braver dwarves tried to talk him out of his insanity, and that went well until they got closer to him.  Suddenly he ups and tosses the whole trap at poor Edem, who took the cap to the legs!  I fear the worst for Tekkud, and worry for Edem.  Although its only a simple fracture, we have no doctor on hand, nor soap.  We also do not have a hammer handy . . .
I worry we will not have stone crafts for the caravans come autumn.

---

Tekkud has sent his apologies to Edem, and promised to work off his debt to Edem by working twice as hard; once for the both of them.  While I don't want to believe it, he has been hard at work lately.  He even bears a smile betwixt his braids.  I was tempted to call for his expulsion from our group, but we are so short handed and it would spell his almost certain death, or so the others said in protest.  His judgement can wait until we receive word from the mountainhomes.  Our work on the aquifer has been slowed to a crawl.  The soft sand of our biome has shifted and washed away, removing our cork's effectiveness to one level.  Damned bugs!  . . . Erm, who can predict everything the mighty Earth can do, anyway?  Its not the end of us, we did have  a few spare corkscrews on standby, which are now being set up to drain the second layer.  There shouldnt be a third layer, or we will have to be content going around.  I always favored bauxite, anyway.  A lovely shade that hides the horrors of the world.

---

Our designated HInfantry specialist, or Heavy Infantry dwarf, has volunteered to watch over Edem these past few weeks.  Neglecting his training, he has crafted splints, a crutch, and even woven some cloth for the poor beard; never late to bring some of the biscuits that he cooks to the dwarf fist.  We are out of raw food, but the prepared food he cooked should tide us until we crack the aquifer.

Work on that has progressed, and we should be over halfway done.  A simple 2x2 square design is all we will bother with, and  simply restrict access through that.  I released all essential dwarves from their other duties to allow them to lend their dwarf-power to the task, and one day found Edem trying to scale down the slopes into the waist-deep waters.  apparently he refused extended treatment at the hands of our good HIfantry, although if that is a statement to Edem's will or Besmer's well-meant but incompetent skills I will not venture a guess at.  Anyway, an enthusiastic dwarf is always a welcome sight, and we allowed him to help unassisted, though his pain was plain.

A cooler breeze has beset the air; and autumn has arrived.  Hopefully we will have the aquifer breached before the caravan arrives, and the monarch wills it, we can destroy the walls to prevent others from accessing it before we leave.  Ahh, to be welcomed home, after being away for so long!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:26:01 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:54 pm »

So I got up and did some looking for better ways to show off the fort, especially this one since it had structures before I arrived.  Watching other community forts some used this, so here, a look at what my fort currently looks like in autumn of 1051.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12221-thelastfort

Zoom out before looking around, because I included one z level about the highest tower to as low as I could see.

---

I think I will update it every so often, linking to the new one.  But perhaps not every season or even every year.  When significant changes have occurred I will.  After all, the pictures I use serve me well enough, and aren't too hard to take and post.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:42:48 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7