Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you prefer seeing a graphics pack over ascii?

No, I use ascii myself, and don't like graphic packs.
- 13 (26.5%)
No, ascii is natural, but I don't mind graphic packs
- 9 (18.4%)
Neutral option
- 10 (20.4%)
Graphics packs are better for people
- 5 (10.2%)
I use and like graphic packs, ascii is confusing.
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Last Fort [FIN]  (Read 15708 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: The Three As: Armadillo, Autumn, Aquifer
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 05:15:19 pm »

Season 03

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Autumn, 1051

After we had completed the replacement of the sand walls to the east and west we took a break, organized our equipment, and started north and south walls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Work was satisfyingly quick: the mighty Earth always responds to those who know how to handle it.  That is to say, slowly and a urist at a time.  In less than a month we had finished out 2x2 shaft.  Now to confirm the accuracy of our measurements . . .

Success!  Glorious success has been brought to us by our work, and solid stone is our reward.  A feeling of levity has set in about the outpost, broken only by the lack of food and proper bedding.  I sent out our HInfantry to slaughter a Reindeer in celebration.  He should be cooking it into biscuits as we speak.  A fine meal for a working dwarf if ever there was one.

---

A week or so has passed since we cracked the aquifer.  Though much work has been done, nothing of particular note has transpired.  We have dug down some 4 levels,  began expanding our planned above ground storage, and began moving our products inside.  We may be able to show the mountainhomes a proper outpost yet.

As I was planning out my royal throne room, the mason came up to me, talking about how more dwarves had appeared, wandering listlessly by some of the newer tombs.  I told him to welcome them while I gathered myself for a presentation.  I was sure they were not the mountainhomes, for it was still too early in the season.

While the dwarves themselves were hardy enough and seemed sane, they spun a yarn about some 'SCP', a portal or something.  I dont have time to waste guessing what S and C mean, but P is surely portal.  Well, until they grow a second mouth they can stay if they keen working.

---

Dear Journal,
  Life here is sure good lately.  We work all day, we sleep all night, and nothing bothers us.  We have been so busy lately I almost lost track of you, even!  What is there to tell you about my day, so much has been pleasant and yet also so mediocre, where do I start? well, . . .

---

Okay.

Well, this time I have news!  The liaison found us!  I know, I know, I wasn't not expecting them, but he arrived with a caravan in tow, as if he already knew our location.  I have not yet talked to him, as he only just arrived in out of the rain, but I am sure there is an explanation for it.  Perhaps some worthy civilization does live out this way after all . . .

I'll write as I find out more, but currently I have ordered some of the more worn weapons and mechanisms to be brought for trade.  Like arrows and bows, bah, who needs those toys?  Too much trouble to separate them anyway.  Its better than nothing, although regrettably not as good as figurines . . .

And have another map:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12223-lastfort
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:20:56 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »

PTW

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 06:17:35 pm »

Season 04

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Winter, 1051

. . . ,but the liaison told me to 'stop badgering him' and go trade with the merchants so they could move on.  I reluctantly did so, wondering what that meant for our outpost.  The rain brought me about to the task at hand.  While their wares were plentiful enough, I found a lot of it overpriced and unnecessary for such a young fort.  We had just over 20 beards, and no need for the plethora of steel harps and native gold blocks.  Still, we possessed so much worn weaponry that even at its discounted price we had no problem making a deal for the various goods.  Some of my bartering was over a steel helmet and a steal spear, and I tried to keep most of the iron weapons, trading instead the insipid copper weaponry and their equally tactless gold ore mechanisms.

Back inside, I ordered a few quick expansions to our underground and arranged for the food to be brought inside, and then sat down with the liaison, who had been sampling the fine food we offered.

"The mountainhomes welcomes your return, and asks you to continue to continue your efforts here."
He was strangely quiet about news from them.  He seemed very detached from all manner of current events, and evaded every direct attempt to pull out some information.  He wouldn't tell me who the monarch was, and wouldn't mention what wars the mountainhomes were engaged in; only that the elves were as deadly with their wits as their wooden toys.  I don't know what to make of any of it, but we will have to be wary in the spring.

As for our needs, we explained that we required leather hides, lumber, sheep, dogs, geese, seeds, ore, and coke.  He nodded slowly and then gave me a list of products he would like in return.  I copied the data into the ledger I have started to keep.

I would like to note how food and drink are on that list . . . what has happened to the world, that the dwarves need to buy their drink usury?

---

Work has begun on the farmer's dorms.  Its liable to be nothing more than a few hallways with a dining room, but this is a good chance to also add a cistern.  While the aquifer should be safe, there is no safer security than a large reserve of water.  And wait until you see the little waterfall I have planned for it.  Its only of limited use, but the concept is the important part.  We all can see how it works.

I have given orders for a barracks to be established and formal training to also begin.  They seem content to practice on their own for now, but with only 6 valid candidates for the military I cant quite blame them for being shy, so long as they get used to their weapons.

Topside, we are almost done with our roofing.  While it seems to have been a waste to expose the aquifer to the surface, we can let some light into the hall for a nice effect.  Well, if we don't also want arrows and rain to get in, we need a nice collapsible roof.  I allowed the use of seedbags, due to the closeness of the farms, and refused to let the cook do any other task other than process the hug abundance of food we traded for.  He needs the practice before we can trade off our foodstuffs.

---

The first successful hunt happened today, as a pack of dingos wandered into the area.  I am unsure why we had waited so long to do this, but I immediately removed the dogs assigned to the hunter to make him stealthier.  He has since gone out more times, and one of the stray war dogs managed to bring down a sloth bear on his own.  A fine dog, it is.  Full of spice.

---

After doing a count of our stocks, I have come up with some interesting totals.  I'm not sure how to explain it, but we seem to be swimming in bolts.  More than an army would need, really.

We also have no metal bars, and plenty of food for the next year.  Ill keep this short, as I have a new year's feast to sit at the head of.  Ill save you a biscuit!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:05:30 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »

Year 01:
Some Thoughts:

- I was not expecting the caravan.  I will be equally upset if I get more migrants.  I haven't checked the sex of the ones I have, but in truth this is about the only time in DF it matters.  As soon as I have a dining room or a surplus Ill let them throw a party and try to make babies.  As I often say to the courtiers in CKII, Make me more babies now!

- My defenses are junk.  The extent of them are the walls of the tomb, an unfinished covering over the entrance hall, and 2 cage traps, both of which are too close to the door to stop BDs.  And, I guess all of the weapons and junk I found in that original trapped room.  I didnt spend too much time worrying about it, because unless the elves (I know my civ is at war with one of them, I think we moved far enough away where our designated neighbors are another group) or goblins come by.  Most of the semi-megas are dead and all of the megas bit the dust a long time ago.  Ill actually probably put up a bridge or two, and free up my Seabee (read: mechanic) to do trap laying.

- I have no real clue where to go with this fort now.  Its kind of already set up.  At least, it is for all 19 dwarves we have.  I think Ill just play around with structures and buildings.  Speaking of, this isn't a terribly common design for me.  It is more common in embarks with an aquifer, which tends to chokepoint my forts.  Usually I try to create an elaborate surface/near surface fort, with a large entrance hall and sturdy above-ground walls/watch towers/pits/moats etc.  I welcome feedback (actually half the reason I did this was because I wish more people would post their designs up.  Its too interesting to see new designs).

- Overall, the small population coupled with the cluttered topside and the aquifer have kind of stifled my building.  But Ill have fun with it.  I am interested to see how the ai deals with the (currently forbidden) tombs.   I already see poults and cats trying to enter forbidden doors/hatches, so once trolls come by I imagine they will bash down doors and unleash the horrors within upon themselves (and me).

- My usual designs separate nobles and 'commissioned' workers from the rabble, followed by a further separation of 'dwarfy' jobs from the rest.

Anywho, I dont plan on abusing bridges or many weapon traps.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:04:40 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 06:47:41 pm »

Season 05

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1052

I decided to keep the liaison's  strange evasiveness a secret from my fellow dwarves, instead focusing on the good news; namely that we could stay and the caravan would even take requests.  Several of the dwarves put in suggestions, and the mood was grand.

---

I have sent word to the miners, instructing them to construct an underground pasture for our livestock.  while we haven't yet pierced  the caverns yet, we will have to in order to drain all the water, so may as well make use of the fact.  The fungus grows on every muddy patch of land it can.  The miners complained about how readily available the soil above the aquifer was; and t'is true.  We could dig out a fine pasture topside.  But, as I explained to them: we wouldn't have to bother with a pasture under the ground if we were going to dig one so close to the surface.  They seemed to be confused enough where they just kept quiet and did their job.  Good, because it doesn't matter what is easier, it matters what I want.

---

The cook has been lax in his duties.  I have had to hear several complaints about the horrid smell coming from his temporary working quarters.  I understand that between the hunters and the caravan that there has been a huge influx of food, but that is no reason to let rotting meat sit upon his station table.  I removed his hauling privileges until the mess was cleaned, and once he focused the smell quickly disappeared.

---

More migrants have arrived!  This is most welcome news, however we were not prepared for their large numbers.  I asked them if they too were from some time capsule.  They instead said they were from the mountainhomes.  I asked them for news of the king, and they told me invariably that they were tired from their journey and all they could remember is the fog they traveled through.  What is with these modern dwarves?  Where is their attention span that they cannot remember their king readily?  Maybe its all the spores they keep spreading around without spouses.  Kids these days, no temperance . . .

To sort out the seventeen new arrivals I devised a system where they all got listed as a 'null' profession in my ledger.  I didn't give any of them work to do until they came to me.  I operated on a first-come-first-serve relation, giving the most ambitious ones the better jobs.  Its working out so far, except I accidentally tried to make a child a crossbowdwarf.  In the future I'll simply mark them with a dark red mark, to tell them apart.

---

Today I caught some dwarven traders hanging around the outskirts of the tombs.  I haven't approached them yet, but I have my suspicions about what they could be up to.  Why are they just hanging around the wilderness?  They must have other things to do.  I told my dwarves to steer clear of them for now.  humph, at least they didn't have their gear with them.  Or, at least I didn't see it.

---

We have had intruders.  I do not know how we didn't see them, but they were messing with the tombs.  We made sure we locked every door to all the tombs we explicitly didn't need to access.  We even removed access to the interior of our own.  But somebody unlocked one and one of the hunter dwarves tried to raid it.  I literally sprinted over to it and re-locked it before more could enter it, but I could already hear the dwarven screams mixed in with more unearthly moans.  I fear it is more than just the dead protecting themselves, it is a mummy protecting its tomb.  But I dare not check to be counted in the right.  No, I gathered the dwarves and strictly forbid everything inside tombs.  I tried to paint the perpetrator of the crime, Zan, as a scoundrel.  I thought I did a good job, but some dwarves in the back spoke up and said that he was only trying to 'clean up all the skeletons what were lying about'.  Well, now he stands as what happens to those who violate my word.

---

More have been caught in the tombs.  A different one, but one none the less.  Judgement has been legally deferred until a hammerer arrives.

---

I ordered a weapon trap to be installed in the 'prong' of the hallway, as a test of their effectiveness.  Two iron pikes were its arsenal.  They found use, much use, soon enough.  Three giant sparrows got into our fort, presumably via the door and managed to attack a chicken and kill my personal war dog!  The scoundrels.  Two ran into the weapon trap, which maimed one and killed the other outright.  I had the Hinfantry squad, now four dwarves strong, kill the other two.

---

The end of spring has seen much excitement, some mystery, and a vital warning to us.  We are not in a hospitable land, and my advice will be vital to the continued survival to our outpost.  We need more preparation, perhaps traps outside all the tombs.  And tricks 'n traps inside the tombs too.  I have asked that the last preparations for the waterfall be completed; all that remains is to puncture the aquifer from below and rig it to a trap.  I mean by that that if the wrong mechanism is pulled the whole fort will flood.  Or it will until a drain is made.  I neglected to tell any of the others about this, and had each construct a smaller part than the whole to try to obscure this fact.  I will not have this fort captured or left to pillage.
On the plus side, the gold mechanism in my room looks delightful!

Map

- - - - -

Some after the fact facts about our mummy:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:12:59 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Where is the Bloody Cavern, this Water won't Drain itself
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »

Season 06

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Summer, 1052

A dwarf entered an odd state of affairs during one of the meals.  He left his food, walked up to the gems, and starting chiseling away.  We all know what that means, so once we saw to it that he was in no danger we let him go.  Well, he made the most marvelous flute made of pure sapphire.  You could almost hear the soul resonate with its high pitches and low thrums.  Why only sapphire was used I am not quite sure, but it was worth a pretty 98600*.  'The Aquamarine Teacher', our jeweler calls it.  Okay.

We dug out the rest of our topside storage.  When we finish the fort, it will hold excess furniture and possibly other mundane goods.  Right now we have the extra cages, stone, unused beds up there.  We also allocated some space for 2 wood furnaces and a smelter.  We have got to get to work on smithing some decent weapons and armor.

---

I ordered the mess in the front hall cleaned up.  When we went and checked the traps we found that one had a giant sparrow in it, so we wiped up the blood and moved it down.  I had our designated tamer look into making it more agreeable.  When I went up for some fresh summer air I almost tripped on a slab sticking slightly out of the ground.  We dug it up and examined it.  It commands us to beware some great general or another.  I was aware we had to tread lightly, but was previously unaware of exactly how close we were to undeath.  I ordered it to be removed and will make a note to dispose of it permanently later.

I ordered a second staircase to be removed, to further limit access to the interior of the tomb.  We will not awaken an apocalypse above our heads.

---

More migrants.  These ones seemed just as addled as the last group, and I could get no new information out of them.  I did note that a third trader has appeared, separated from his other two companions by a hill.  I think they may have something to do with the state of the migrants.  Mentally these migrants would fail any proper entrance examination.  Some are intelligent and capable, sure.  But why cant they remember the name of the king?!  Whom do I serve in these times?  I cannot be a dwarf unto myself, for I have not the blood to make it work.

Ahh . . . well, I do not think the dwarves were responsible for unlocking the tombs.  I did not recieve any word of them even stirring from their choosen spots, and how could a dwarf betray one of their own in such a foul way?

---

We finally got about to popping a second hole into the aquifer.  I set the miners about constructing  proper drain for the pastures, and grabbed one of the new migrants to pop the aquifer.  I figured if he had died the fort would have felt it less.  Well not only did he survive, but he was excited to be wet!  The daft lad, I could only smile and direct him to further work.  I guess as long as he is happy I should be thankful.
In hindsight, I should not have used only one set of doors on either side of it.  Should one of those get propped open by s tray rock the fort is doomed . . . or we will have a permanent waterfall.  Would be nice, but quite unnecessary.  I also wonder if the waterfall would have been better placed either in the future hospital or the barracks across the hall from it.

---

Yesterday, we popped the aquifer for a second time.  Today, we examined our craft.

I designed the dining room wells to operate with two levers.  One will open the outer floodgates, reducing pressure as the water flows in.  In theory, they should keep us safe until the rock itself erodes.  A second lever will open the inner floodgates.  These are designed to flood the whole level and anything below it.  Currently we have doors set up to contain any accidents, but I will eventually remove them.  I do wish to note that the majority of the food and drink of the fort is in that room . . .

---

. . . Our records indicate that the blasted caverns should be at level z-25 aand around level z-45.  Where are they?  I cant keep sending miners down one at a time to try to find the them.  I need the cavern open now.  This issue has caused me great enough distress, and I have temporarily given several of the workers time off while I devote myself to finding our undergrounds.  I have laid out a plan to dig even further down and look for the third cavern level if I must.  This . . .  this is upsetting.  My measurements have never been so wrong as to completely miss a hollow point in the Mighty Earth!

I fear I will rest uneasy until this issue is resolved favorably.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:01:32 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »

Season 07

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Autumn, 1052

We punctured the caravan.  I do not know which one it is, but I would venture that it is the second.  With a quick look around, we spotted some gems and some giant cave spider webs.  Our work done, I instructed a sturdy grate installed and left to relieve previously idling dwarves of their boredom.

---

We've had out first birth today!  Nothing special, I have to admit, but while the cook was baking up some roasts the little girl decided it was time to come.  Much celebration was had that night once our guest of honor finished helping prepare the roasts.

---

An odd mood interrupted my very first order of copper armour.  I was slightly irritated, but the idea that a mood would choose the forge excited me.  I was not disappointed, as the result was a marvelous copper earring.  Yes, not even bothering to grab anything else, the pleb decided to wrap the copper earring with more copper.  I will offer it to the next caravan that goes by the mountainhomes.  Maybe a baron will like it.

---

Migrants arrived.  This time it was only a group of 7.  They were in a huff, and while I was sure they would only spew nonsense, they instead told stories of ghosts n' ghouls.  They talked about a deep fog and unholy moans, of hands reaching up to them from below.  I only assigned them jobs and told them that we had a fully competent military to handle any situation that might arise.

---

DWARVEN ZOMBIES!  Oh man, dwarf zombies have been spotted from the southeast, towards the jungle and behind that the ocean.  I recalled everyone inside immediately, and made the decision to station the whole of the military (maybe 15 dwarves) outside to cover the 5 who we thought were out.  Both lumberdwarves, the new trader, a herbologist, and the carpenter had all been seen outside that day.  We quickly accounted for the herbologist, but the other four were harder to secure.  As the zombies approached the marksdwarves opened fire upon them.  As they approached closer the meleedwarves attacked with a combination of weapons.  We dispatched 7 or 8 without incident, but then a groups of meleedwarves stepped into the new Depot pit we were digging and with the separation 3 dwarves were mauled.  While tempted to retreat, our soldiers held their ground until we accounted for the carpenter and the trader.  As I ordered the withdrawal one of the lumberdwarves rejoined with us.  Inside, they told us that two goblin squads had been skulking around, and that the zombies were just as hostile to them as they were us.  Some good news, at least.
Out there are three traders from the mountainhomes and one of the lumberdwarves.  Gods keep their souls.
I would like to note that we did have to get a detachment of haulers topside to clear the doorframe.

---

By sending out scouts, we were able to spot the necromancer responsible for this attack.  He was a lizard man.  How a lesser creature learned to profane life in such a way I do not know, but it scares me to my bones.  Worse, he does not seem to require any special ritual or rite to proliferate the monsters, rather just a flick of his hand will raise any corpse left within his sight.  He found another previously locked tomb, managed to twerk the lock and a minute later skeletal goblins came pouring out of the tomb.  The situation has possibly been made worse.  The goblin squads have either fled and been massacred, and I presume the traders have been murdered.

---

Once inside, I order emergency Traction benches set up and all available beds to go towards the completion of the hospital.  Too late now, but next time we will be ready.  Luckily, I did have the foresight to make 2 spare traction benches.  As the general mood of the fort quickly sunk, I told all of the civilian dwarves nothing of the horrors topside, even neglecting to inform them that all of the larger, grazing pets failed to make it inside.  Instead, I had a pipe installed under the pastures, and ordered the waterfall to be turned on.  The water will drain into the pipe under the pastures, and that will drain into the caverns.  Not my original goal, but a quick improvisation controlled the growing anxieties.

---

Something is wandering around the tombs, unlocking doors.  The latest has been our own door.  Something we have not seen has gone to all of the tombs and unlocked them, one by one.  The zombies, as if sensing a path to their victims, started shambling towards the door.  I quickly ordered our hammerer to go forth and close it.  In full copper and bone outfitting and stoked by our calls for honor and duty, the hammerer ran topside and confronted the monsters above.  We closed the door behind him as soon as we could.  Gods save his brave soul as well . . .

The Map
*I did cut out most of the piping that had nothing else in it, so as you get to the bottom mind the level number in the right corner.*
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:10:05 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:17:46 pm »

Not Actually Fort Canon!
So on Sunday I was bored and did some Adventuring.  In 40.09.

-Other observations include me being able to literally kill 3 hippos and 2 crocs with no resistance.  But then a wolf ate me in an ambush.
-Also noting how I recruited a drunk from a mound and he ran from a crab.  However, in his defense did stay out of the river.  Which is cool because he couldnt swim.

Long story short I see a lot of potential in the changes and can't knock an aplha game for its bugs.  And the changes are fairly intuitive, if you played before.  The arena was overhauled alot  . . .

- - - - - - - -  - - - - -  - - - - - - -

And then I did some 34.11 adventurering.

My character the human woke up in the snowy southern tip of the world.

East if my hamlet is a fortress (which, together my hamlet and a captured gobo fort are the only human holdings of the south)

But it was abandoned and devoid of people or items

But not emu!

Checking my map, I saw I was relatively close to my fort (which I abandoned in this world)

But those darn caves, I made so many of them in a pocket world

Ka-Pow

Again?  Well fine, another lair

Goblin Mctalks-a-lot

And I edited out the rest of them (there were enough that I earned a name as a hero).  Some crappy loot overall, but several small armour pieces.  The biggest takeaway were iron leggings and a crutch.

Inside one of the tombs, as per DF abandoned fort redistribution clause, section 4b:
^^ he is quite amicable when he's not trying to murder dwarves.
Even sent word to the whole world and made me a hero in the eyes of most elves and humans.

Anyway, into the fort!  I used my secret passage.

Swimming made me realized other kinds of adventurer paths to take.

Also fun getting dragged by current.

Whew!  That was rough.  Now to rest against this bridge . . .
. . .Oh.

And my post-mortem analysis. Ive already deleted that reality, though.

---

Of note, DF RNG done good.  My nickname is 'the Faint Distraction' and my fort is in the tomb 'WoodWitches'.  When I bashed down the tomb door that my fort was in I disturbed 'the Least Witch'.  lol. ol.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:26:40 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »

Season 08

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Winter, 1052

Topside, it continues to be a mess.  We have been officially under siege for 90 days or so.  We discovered a yak cow was still alive, running for its life and making a terrible noise whenever the assorted zombies and skeletons get too close.
The thing is really giving the zombies and skeletons the run around, and if it comes by the door we may try unlocking it for her.

---

Booze has run out.  We have the plump helmets that grew this last year, however we do not have a distillery set up.  I ordered that remedied.  We also got to work on an area to hold the egg layers and baby animals.  We want to keep out from underfoot while we deal with this siege.

Food is plentiful still, and we have over 100 parts meat, and we found that one yak calf was inside when the zombies hit.  With nothing else to do, I ordered more expansion of the base.

Some of the newest things I had installed were a lever for the cavern grate and a bridge for the main hall.  If the worst happens, we can escape into the caverns.  Although we have yet to explore it, it must be better than a horrible death by zombie.

The bridge, a thin elongated drawbridge, is being planned.  The first step is to remove the floor covering and dig a pit under it.  Then we will construct it so that we can isolate ourselves from the outside if need be.

---

When I sent workers to remove the block floor, I didn't expect to be bothered by them about it.  But I received word that a problem had arisen.  On site, they revealed to me to corpse of the hammerer.  I asked them where they found it, demanded an answer.  They offered none, stating that it was wedged between the block floor and the dirt underneath.  This bodes ill for us, and its only another problem I have to explain away.

---

We found human corpse in the tombs across the way.  These corpses are fresh, robed figures with limbs missing.  There is a blood trail leading from a weapon trap to both bodies, but whether they both were hit by the same trap and crawled to their death together is unclear.  I suspect they were necromancers who were trying to sneak into a tomb.
The Yak is started to starve to death.  Interestingly enough, its path is starting to get erratic, straying over large areas and taking winding paths.  Most recently, the Yak has been spotted on top of the taller tombs.

Inside, I have instituted a civilian militia program.  All non-essential workers were immediately added to one of two separate squads to train wrestling skill.  I will not tolerate idlers in our midst, whatever lack of wood we may have.  Ohh, our wood, which supplied our metal industry, which itself has grinded to a halt.  Using stored coal we still continue to make weapons and armor, but I order it sparingly.

---

A second tomb has been raided.  Or third, it would seem.  Not much has come forth from it, but it seems rather that the zombies themselves stumbled into it.  Which, of course, means that our mystery ghost has unlocked that tomb as well.  I am not sure how many mummies there are within these tombs, but I hope the undead cannot wake them.

Elsewhere, I have received word that the zombies are harassing the wildlife.  Hamster men, Lovebirds and even eagle have come into contact with the undead.  We have spotted dead eagles, and witnessed a Giant peach-faced lovebird kill a zombie.  I risk sounding a touch Elvish, but these monsters disturb the very balance of nature.

---

A child entered an odd mood today.  He ran off to the craftdwarf's shop, shouting unholy names.  I fear he is possessed by a spirit, and worse he demands wood.  I dont know how we will get wood.  I have heard stories of clever dwarves using spare wood as archery targets, but we have been afforded no such luxury.  We can do nothing for the lad until the siege breaks.

---

A military floor is being dug out.  It will be rather complete, all things considered, when we finish it and polish it, but for now we added a large stockpile room and a space for a barracks.  One step at a time.

I went through the various combat reports to sort out what had happened.  It seems that most of the kills were made by two soldiers.  I have decided to keep my eye on them, and reward future performance.

We have lost sight of the necromancer, and several dwarf zombies have disappeared.  I don't know if they are hiding or retreated, but there are still dozens of skeletal zombies around.  We will investigate but I don't want to take unnecessary risks yet.  Our Yak has been confirmed dead, much to our dismay.  It is reanimated as well . . .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:49:22 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 11:54:09 am »

Year 02:
Some Thoughts:

-I didn't bury anyone yet, and although I have slabs engraved with most dwarven names, I haven't yet tried to set them up.  None of the five or so ghosts have bothered me enough to yet.  I think I will set up both a crypt as well as a 'memorial park'  I usually prefer the memorial park to be outside, but a nice statue garden is acceptable too.

-I would like not to have to pull the bridge lever at all, and tried to stay away from the bridge as long as possible.  I still don't want to abuse it.  We'll see what happens . . .

-This is certainly a bit of a turnaround from the end of Y01, where I was hoping for the population to stabilize at 19.

Here below are overviews of the units menus.
Spoiler: citizens (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: animals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 'others' (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: the really dead (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: my stock overview (click to show/hide)

---

Ohh, funny story on the caged puppy (I completely forgot about him).  Our 'invisible ghost' friend what who's been unlocking doors struck again, but I had him pastured in front of the door.  The thing spotted the intruder, zombies came to our door, and beat the stuffing out of him.  Like never walk again beat, and he fell unconscious on the cage trap, saving his life..  However, the rock traps and the weapon trap killed the Zs and I was able to close the door.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:00:01 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 06:45:57 pm »

Season 09

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1053

As we contemplated the risks in opening the emergency grating and chopping down a tree in the caverns, the moody child shifted past my office, wailing and moaning.  It was heart-rending, and a sight worse than the zombies outside.  We couldn't help the poor beard now, and could only wait for its inevitable end.

With all of the undead roaming about without souls, its only natural our own would be restless in death.  Several ghosts have been spotted in the area, mostly harmless but still disturbing to the civilians.  Perhaps the worst part is that as military dwarves in life, they were drawn to the barracks in death, haunting their living comrades.  This siege has taken so much out of us as it is and we don't need the additional mental drain.

---

With the necromancers gone for almost a month, I have been planning possible ways to attack the skeleton army they left in their stead.  We originally tried carving fortifications into our future trading room, but none of our arrows could penetrate the admittedly small holes that were carved.  Worse, trying to put up a wall behind the fortifications only meant I had to deal with spooked civilians who spotted the skeletons and stopped working.  Work was slow, but as with the aquifer it did get done after a time.

---

Migrants!  On the twilight horizon we have spotted a group of migrants wearily treading towards out fort!  No doubt they have no clue of the horrors outside, and several of the dwarves have asked that I assist them.  After some consideration I have decided that while it would be suicide to go outside to rescue them, we could shout to them from inside and post the military by the entrance.  Before allowing the warriors anywhere near topside, I very explicitly stated that everything outside was forbidden, to every sane dwarf we had.  If anyone went outside for any reason there would be no offer of assistance; and that they could expect the most horrible of deaths at the hands of the skeletons.  Only after I extracted individual oaths from each of the surviving military members did I give the command for the front door to be unlocked.

Predictably, the zombies that weren't chasing the poor migrants were shambling towards our front door.  I dont know how, but they just know when they can try to get in.  Combat started straightforward and our traps assisted us immensely.  And then one of the stone traps crushed a zombie but let a piece of him fly into the doorframe:

The lodged door meant that we couldn't re-close it, of course.  So we started  sending free  citizens topside to dislodge the chunks, which exposed them to zombies and only served to excite the hordes.  Soon they started flooding the entrance, the weapon trap struggling to keep up.

Still more zombies came.  Some were pushed to the left over the course of the fighting, and they happily went around all the fighting.  Still more went to attack civilians who were still trying to free the door from debris.

More and more rushed forth, intent on killing all life and all hope.  Bravely, our warriors fought on and with proper diligence our citizens struggled forward.  When the door was finally cleared, we had nothing to do but count the dead.

---

I do not know how many migrants were originally in the group, but we lost 4 dwarves, it would seem.  Of them, we lost one of the original seven, Tekkud the miner.  When he finished his mining job, he ran topside to assist in any fashion he could, and suffocated from injuries sustained at the bare hands of the goblin skeletons.  He came so far from the  tantruming fool who ate our time, and he died as honorable death as a citizen could outside of uniform.  Gods keep him.

At the cost of those four brave souls, we saved two migrants.  A mason and a woodcutter.  They will fit in here, and were duly assigned jobs.  Looking over the site, we have noticed a significant decline in the number of skeletons roaming around.  We may be able to eliminate them from the field and reclaim the topside.  Well, we will after we prepare for another encounter.
  The way I see it, if we add a few more traps, and block off the prong, we should be capable of drawing the zombies inside one at a time and dispatch them.  First, however, we need Besmar back.  From the start, he has been an invaluable asset to the fort, and I'm afraid he took a nasty hit during the combat.  Oddly enough, he was the only surviving military member who was injured.  The only other member in our hospital is an engraver with several serious fractures.

---

We have some good news!  One of the pets, a turkey, has grown up and become fertile!  We let it into a nest box and to immediately lay eggs.  We have a suitable male nearby and hopefully we will have 11 chicks in a few months.

Other news around the fort includes stones getting stuck in the floodgate that allows the cistern to refill.  We have measured the rates of flow, and have decided that the cistern is losing more water than it is gaining, and eventually we will have to either let it run dry or hope that the rocks dislodge on their own.  For now we are only going to observe the evolution.

A jail has been dug out, although we have no free chains.  Its just idle preparation.

None of our dead are buried yet.  I have purposely kept their bodies from the Mighty Earth.  For whatever reason, our dwarves insist on assigning graves for all dwarves in order of death.  That includes the traders (who I can understand) and the zombies.  Why are we giving the poor zombies a grave?  We haven't enough for our own dead as it stand.

---

The elves finally showed up today.  Unsurprisingly, they bore hostile intent, and were discovered by wandering zombies.  The zombies seem to be more than a match for them one on one, however I have never known an elf to have honor in combat.  Still, as they fought their way through the horde they inevitably got separated and then decimated.  I have not even bothered keeping track of them, but I do know there are several corpses littering the space between tombs now.  I hope those necromancers do not come back before we get a chance to clear the surface.  I hope to be back up topside before summer ends.  The general mood is once again sinking . . .

Standby for map:  This one is big(ger)
Map
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:31:50 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Nope nope, so much nope
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 02:26:58 pm »

Season 10

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Summer, 1053

I have promoted Besmar to Militia Commander and demoted the hunter from the original 7; to reflect their contibutions to the fort.  over ten combat kills versus one dingo?  Not a tough choice, if you ask me.  I assigned him the room I was reserving for the mayor.  If need be I can always make a new room for him.
Essentially it was just a swapping of their positions, and now the hunter calls himself militia captain instead of commander.

---

When both Besmar and the engraver were up and walking about I reviewed our information, and decided that we had a definite shot at clearing the surface.  It was certainly risky, and our remaining military was still outnumbered, but so long as we operated as a unit we should be fine.

Down in the corpse stockpiles, haulers have been complaining of a far-off roaring.  It was not a machine-like noise, but rather one of anger and pain.  Is something down in the caverns, making a fuss?

Other than that, we wait.  A scepter was created by an odd mood, and while it was an impressive craft it was, like the others, made from one material just as the flute and the earring were.  I wonder why, but its not the end of the world that they are.  I wish they would make a nice table, honestly.  Something to put into any room to brighten it up.  With some nice gems, and some hanging metal.  hmmm . .  we could do well with more properly decorated furniture.  The jeweler is doing okay, but still . . .

---

We have confirmed that there is in fact, a mighty beast lurking below.
We believe it to be poisonous and quite mad.

---

After granting a break to the military (an actual break), we mustered topside for another assault on the undead.  The plan was to hide in the Depot room and let their infamous detection of unlocked doors lure them into the traps.  then we would charge outside and mop up and stragglers.  Reiterating that everything topside was currently forbidden, I ordered the door unlocked.

The plan went fairly well, all things considered.  When we were certain no further intruders would find us we rushed outside with a loud thwopping yell and found the tombs largely empty for the first time since the necromancers showed up.  However, there were some zombies lurking around in the shadows, and our ghost-friend had found our secret lever.
Not harmful, but something to be wary of.

The mop up went as well any other operation we had conducted.  We stuck together, mostly, and our sole death was a future guardsdwarf.  He got itchy and tried to take on a goblin skeleton by himself whilst the group was dealing with a former water buffalo.  Poor beard, but we have cleared the surface for cleanup!  We will always remember the dwarves who died to reclaim what is ours.

I have sent out the entire population to clean up the surface, minus the doctor who is to tend to the wounded.

---

Cleanup has been going well.  A careful examination of several of the raided tombs has revealed that there is no curse upon them, or that the curse has been subverted by more foul necromancies.  There is no de-facto mummy to disturb, thus we cannot disturb it.  Very well, we will empty those tombs of loot and most likely remove the tomb to prevent any further infestation.

---

We appeared to have missed a rooster zombie and a goblin arm.  They meandered into sight of the extensive hauling effort and we have decided to nip it in the ass.  I am positive we had cleared the surface, and was concerned that the necromancers have slinked back to try to assault us again.  They will not find us so easy to displace.
Honestly, though, I am curious as to why they took an interest in this massive tomb complex after we moved in.  They presumably had hundreds of years to infest this place.  I have ordered weapon traps to be put in front of all of the tombs considered 'undesecrated'.

---

We have presumed confirmation of a slinking necromancer.  one of the tombs slowly came alive with the moans of the dead.  We dare not go in it, and presume that locking it will grant us a stay of execution.  I would hate to have to retreat so soon after claiming the topside.  No, we will not let them out, and if they do get out, they will be greeted by the wooden spears of the elves.  Our experience is that zombies will collapse after enough damage is dealt, and I don't want my dwarves grabbing those wooden toys anyway.

---

An ambush!  Goblins have managed to sneak directly up to the civilian mechanic.  He was luckily aware enough to dodge an immediate attack and flee, but this is an issue I don't want.  I ordered the immediate recall of all members, even relieving the stubborn military of duty until they reached the safety of the fort.  I plan to take them when the attempt to enter our tomb.

The goblins chased a cat around for a while, until it managed to slip inside unharmed but clearly terrified.  Those cruel beasts, laughing and giggling like children, hurling insults at the cat as if it could understand them.

They merrily ran inside after a minimal precautionary search of the door.  We never bothered to trap the door, and the dumb things ran into the cage traps with wild abandon.  They were slowed a bit more by the boulder traps, which broke limbs.  At this point I sprang the military from its cover in the Depot room and combat ended quickly.  Losing heart as their comrades fell, we chased the last two goblins away, catching one with a bolt in the arse.  We followed it up with a sword in the gut.
The only injury from the ambush was a laceration over the shoulder of a bowdwarf.

So although we have claimed the topside this summer, there are many dangers lurking in the tombs, animated and aware of our presence.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:03:00 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 12:29:59 pm »

Season 11

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Autumn, 1053

---

The cook had a second child today.  We have over five children now!

---

We examined the weapon traps for wear.  Specifically the oldest one, which presumably had seen the insides of several zombies.
The other pike in the two pike trap has a kill.  Hmmm, I thought they had more kills?

---

Cleanup continues.  All workers excepting the grievously wounded and the doctor are helping.

---

We have an issue.  I don't, literally don't know how, but our ghost-friend is turning out to be less and less friendly.  Unseen by us, it has penetrated into the heart of the fort and pulled the trick lever.  Luckily, the trick lever is designed to kill the puller (OOC, its actually flawed vs human intelligence) and not harm anyone else.  It triggers a bridge to trap the puller and floods the room slowly, a most unfortunate way to die.  We dismantled the door and the bridge, allowing the water to drain enough to close the trap again.  A general pain in the arse to clean, but a symptom of our lax security.  I have ordered kittens to be stationed at various points of the fort, like the lever rooms, the front tunnel, and the cage room.  Especially the cage room, which boosts 5 goblins, 2 of which are actually living.

---

Another odd mood.  The jeweler has taken over the corpseroom carftsdwarf shop, and is busy constructing some type of bowl or mug.  He has an assortment of materials with him, so my hairs are crossed that this will be an epic hive or jug or something useful.

---

While not a jug, the mug was indeed fit for a king.

---

Food is running low, and copper has dwindled to a small reserve.  We have ordered the collection of wood, and the butchering of several kittens and the yak bull to fortify our stocks.  A shame about the bull, but it has to be done for the good of the fort.

---

We have started assigning normal jobs again.  Most of the mess is cleaned up, and we need to move on from the siege.  Moods are grand, and no serious problems can be reported to you.  Journal, hope has seen us through.  I must get catacombs dug out soon, for those who deserve a proper place to rest after a hard job done well.

---

A caravan has arrived!  And with them, not one but two squads of goblins.  Bowgobs and axegobs, from the looks.  We had a decision to make, about whether to leave the caravan to fend for itself or to risk ourselves to assist them.  Were it one squad I would not have hesitated to help.  But two squads?  ehh, we have so much to lose, on top of all we have lost already.

A cat was caught in between the goblin squads, and became the target of their attacks.  This was an opportunity to move.  Using the time provided to us by the cat, we mobilized next to the caravan guards.  The fighting was intense yet brief.  When it ended, we found out the caravan guards were better trained than us, and suffer one broken wrist.  We lost the very promising Olon the HInfantry.  Her baby fell from her arms as she collapsed due to an iron chainsword to the head (lasher).  The goblin was on the ground and beaten, but his final act of cruelty was to kill the mother in front of the baby.  The loss sent shivers through me, as did watching the baby crawl over bodies and through pools of blood.

Worse yet, I turned about to order the military to rest, and when I turned back, the baby was gone.  Where did she go?  Nobody has seen her, and after my brief panic I was forced to devote my attention elsewhere.  We assume the goblins stole her, but it is possible that the merlocks stole her instead.  Both abduct children, however the merlocks tend to eat them as the goblins train them for war.  I am not sure which is worse.

I have not found the liaison yet, but I am not aware of any other casualties, so I will leave the brisk autumn sunlight to find him.

Map of the surface-ish.
Map
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:42:36 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:25 pm »

Season 12

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Winter, 1053

The liaison was inspecting the hospital when I found him.  The levy from our zombie mop-up was still there, and the liaison was questioning the levy about his pain.  Having been a resident in our hospital for over half a year, the levy was simply happy for the interaction, and I was sorry to have to interrupt them.

Reviewing the events of the last two years, the liaison informed us that they didn't come last year because of the siege.  I asked how he knew, and why no help was sent, but he refused to explain himself.  To my distress, he even turned aside my veiled threat concerning the safety of the tombs.  Perhaps he was just too air-headed to grasp it, but I find it so hard to fathom such a dwarf.

When questioned about the traders who died during the siege, he denied any knowledge of their presence, either before or after the zombies showed up.  I asked if there was a renegade population of dwarves, and with a stifle chuckle he replied in the affirmative, implying that it was 'ever so small'.

Still, any further attempts at getting information was unsuccessful.  We negotiated out a trade agreement, requesting bars, flux stone, lignite, and rhinoceros hides for meat, prepared meals, thread, and more booze.
Still having trouble producing an acceptable level of drink for the moutnainhomes, then?  We have had our own issues, ourselves, caused by the slow growth of plants (2 season growdur)

The liaison satisfied, I asked for military reinforcements.  We had been heavily tried, and our next step was conscription of the valuable citizens.  He promised to arrange what he could.

Before he left, I implied that the fog must be thick towards the mountains.  He only stared at me uncertainly, and with a quick nod he departed, stopping only to inform the merchants of the schedule.  What is he hiding from us?  I dare not confront him, as he is the only link to our monarch.  Well, I suppose there is the caravan . . .

---

After trading with the caravan, I questioned them.  They commented that their business was their own, and that they had heard of the horrors we had faced.  They seemed completely at ease so long as we were discussing trade, but any other subject caused them to tighten up in irritation.  Not the most friendly sorts, and certainly not going to be willing providers of information . . .
Didn't stop the greedy buggers from trying to twist our arm off in trade, though.  Had I not been nearby our novice trader would have sold them the deed for a barrel of ale!

---

The tomb on the hill has been unlocked.  I had a brave soul peek inside, and he told me that there was a foul curse on it.  I fear somebody has been in it, but there was not movement from within so we may still be safe.  We locked the door, and hurried the construction of a weapon trap outside the door.  I wonder why we don't channel the ground from the door or wall the entrance off, to be honest . . .  OHHH, what if we tried to collapse it on itself!  would make a fine trap for a trollsquad.  With time, with time . . .

---

The season flew by us, between the changing of the Depot to the installation of another bridge to the design and partial filling of a pool and archery range.  We didn't get much produced outside of more beds and more bins, but we used up all the slabs we had.  Catacombs are going to be dug out soon, or a preliminary which will serve until then.
The levy was up and engraving again, with the help of a splint or two, and we killed 2 goblin thieves and 2 merlock thieves respectively.  Bastards, after our kids again.

I shut off the waterfall so we could remove the stone blocking our floodgate and assess the caverns once we outfit replacement soldiers.

The season passed by slowly and uneventfully, all things considered.  may the next be fruitful.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:56:26 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 02:24:51 pm »

This is perhaps the worst place a dwarf could try to settle that isn't a reanimating/thralling biome or so hot/cold all life is impossible.
I like it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7