Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you prefer seeing a graphics pack over ascii?

No, I use ascii myself, and don't like graphic packs.
- 13 (26.5%)
No, ascii is natural, but I don't mind graphic packs
- 9 (18.4%)
Neutral option
- 10 (20.4%)
Graphics packs are better for people
- 5 (10.2%)
I use and like graphic packs, ascii is confusing.
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Last Fort [FIN]  (Read 16341 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Nope nope, so much nope
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 02:29:11 pm »

Posting to observe.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Nope nope, so much nope
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 03:04:05 pm »

*Because of the observed holiday I will not do a season on Monday.  Instead, provided I have time, I will do two seasons today.  I only have some psych work to do . . .
*Also, awesome!  Thanks.

Season 13

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1054

Whoo!  3 years have we been living under this tomb.  It has proven to be a blessing and a curse at the same time.  We have seen the power of the necromancers, who befoul dwarven bodies.  And yet, we have also seen how much quicker we could get our defenses raised.  We haven't tried to turtle ourselves in, and it has cost us, but we are dwarves; stout, hard, and bearded to a man.

---

Time passes slowly here.  Work continues on the pool, and we have started smoothing out a noble's quarters as well as laying out plans for the catacombs.  Nothing special, and most of the fort will be between our caverns and the surface.  Some dwarves prefer a tiered fort, with three 'hubs', us we will settle for whatever flows now.  We need that catacombs, and I dare not look lower yet.  Too many things to do above.

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Migrants, sweet Medtob, goddess of fortresses, they came!  One of them was even the caravan guard who helped us slay the ambushes.  Early reports state that we received 21 migrants, however, in reality we recieved about 10.  hmmm, not sure how that happened, but I figure if any living dwarves are out there they will find us or die.

We sent most of them to our barracks, though we tried to keep their skills in mind.

---

We have begun to plan sentinels.  The idea is to take the extra kittens and chain them up outside.  If the dead come back they will kill the kittens first, and we have already seen how the goblins react to them.  Maybe in the future we will try to defend them, but honestly its the chain or the butcher.

---

That bloody ghost-friend!  Ill find a name for him yet, but he's unchained our creatures!

Good news for our fort include new birds for harvesting.  Chicks have hatched, although somebody pilfered the turkey eggs we had before
Spoiler: ooc (click to show/hide)

---

Another tomb has become undead.  I dont know how they get in, but the necromancers aren't getting out If I can help it.  The weapon trap I put in front of the doors should see to that.  Mostly low-grade weapons, but enough to deter or wound any intruders.

---

The zombie dwarves are back.  I sounded the alarm and posted a station order in the trade depot, to collect the military.  The cats tied to the chains did their jobs, and bought the civilians time to run inside, though some refuse to after getting spooked.

Scouts posted on the rooftops in hidden areas report goblin a goblin two goblin raiding parties.  the zombies seem to be able to smell them, and Im frankly not surprised by that.  All the better for us.

Our meleedwarves are perhaps too eager to enter the fray.  I had several of them enter trances once separated from the rest.  Dangerous business.  Otherwise, properly outfitted and with more training, I was surprised at their solid performance.  Several of the new recruits have died or been injured however, forcing me to station the healthy fighters farther from safety and to permit a rescue team.  I pray to the gods for their favor.

Good news from outside.  Though it has taken quite a while, we have the chance to retreat.  The goblin ambushers have been occupied with the zombies, who indiscriminately slaughter them before turning towards us.  However, we have slaughtered a path both to the wounded and back to safety.  We can retreat, although a pet or two still seems to be outside.  Shame.

OH BLASTS!  I had to re-activate the military because the dogs caught scent of a zombie hiding in our trench.  the civilians wont bring our wounded inside because they spook when they look down.  Not exactly the most reasonable dwarves I have ever known.  The zombie was fortunately dispatched with out incident, although we lost two dogs to it.

---

Our scouts spent the rest of yesterday studying the zombies, looking for the reptile man master.  We did not find him, but instead realized that the zombie threat was almost eliminated, between the ambushers and us.  We will assemble the military and strike out against the last of them.  I dont want to leave any corpse around.

---

I think we have found out ghost-friend.  Or rather friends.  three thieves have been found by the farms, skulking towards our fortress heart.  They were quickly executed without issue by our military.  the cats on patrol have proven worthwhile.

Our military has assembled, and rather than assault the zombies hanging around the hill we wait for them to smell us.  One by one they can up to our warriors and one by one we dispatched them.  the siege is broken!
Although it is troubling how they tried to flank us.  Are they intelligent, underneath their rotting skulls?

It is 5 days into summer, and we have another large cleanup to tend too . . . sigh.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:53:28 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Heroics?
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 03:27:03 pm »

Thoughts on Year 03:

-Still an outpost :/
-Still unhappy with fortress design.  Its unusual for me.  But Itll do.  Its never really been about efficiency or much aesthetics, but about theory and concept.  Simple theory and concepts.
-I'll be popping the caves as soon as I fortify the entrance, which is dug.  Ill put a second dorm under or over it.
-I am curious what the FB was fighting and if it has healed.  He wanders around, sometime resting in the water.
-Ohh, I also still have a few ghosts.  they are thankfully almost all restless or reclusive, but they helped me decide to turn on the waterfall full-time.  Dont know why, the engravers wont spend 3 seconds engraving a slab for these last few.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:29:06 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 08:55:14 pm »

Season 14

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1054

The bloody field hands didn't plant any pig tails or plump helmets.  The bloody stubble-beards didn't plant any pig tails or plump helmets last season.  They didn't plant things, and now we have to wait a whole blasted year to try again!  I hope the goddess of muck takes an interest in their beds.  Hammering them isn't going to get the seeds planted, so I simply told them to mill and process everything we own.  Hopefully in the future they will stop hauling long enough to put some bloody plants in the ground.

I have elected a mayor to oversee the more mundane tasks around the fort, as well as promoting the expedition leader to manager.

---

Looking over our territory, we see we are not alone.  The zombies failed to drive away the tenacious goblins, despite them taking losses.  Not exactly welcome news.  I gave the soldiers enough leave to tend to their needs and grab more food, and then reorganized them.  We will march on them.

While the military was on break I looked into our hospital and reviewed the reports.  8 wounded, including our commander.  Who, by the way, has a decent kill list by now.
Himself, he has another broken limb.  Hopefully the scar won't affect his mobility.

---

Before we could organize, a kobold was found inside.  I am trying to appear shocked, but this is a problem we know about.  I find myself wondering why we haven't stopped these incursions.

As if that wasnt enough, an ambush got the drop on us, and we only just got out to meet them:

1 casualty, no wounded.  We marched on the other ambush, who were catching their breathe by one of the tombs.
Well, that didn't last too long, and neither did they.

---

We have begun work on the tombs.  Nothing too fancy, but four seperate tunnels will be used.  From a central staircase we will have the common graves, the superior graves, the noble graves, and the pet graves.  At the urging of my soft dwarven civilians I have also ordered a 'unnamed' tomb, where the nameless zombies will be buried.  I couldn't refuse them, try as I might.  It still won't be anything special, the blasted corpses are the whole reason we need a tomb.

---

The cats have started roaming in packs.  I worry about it, for it indicates that we have too many and that they are growing more bold.  Safety in numbers, some say, but there's also trouble in 'em.  I have ordered some of the younger females to the Butcher's.

---

We received another migrant wave.  Our numbers are bolstered to nearly 70!  We will clear up the topside and let them get armoured.

They are just in time to try our swimming pool, I told them jokingly.  They stared at me as if I were a monster, so I simply went back to handing out jobs in an impersonal fashion.  Dwarves just are not made like when I was growing.
Still, the finishing of the pool and archry range means we have flexibility now.  We can train the injured and idle.   As well as punish the malcontents.  This is good.

A quick survey of our military has revealed a hero within our midst.  Kadol has achieved local fame, and will now be looked upon as the second dwarf to earn this honor.

---

A dog was bitten by one of the numoreous snakes we have nearby.  He will be mourned.

But this brings up the question of containment.  How to go about it?  Wildlife is now attacking us.
Well, I have decided to experiment.  We will erect a wall in some of the more narrow passages, and we will trap the openings.  Here is a rough sketch.

---

Ohh Bomreks.  The pastures are overflowing, both with livestock and water.  I have shut off the waterfall until the pastures drain, as a precaution.
We may have to make the drainage pipe large, which would be a shame . . .

---

An unidentified caravan has approached us from the south!  I don't know where it came from, but it appears to be lead by humans.  Well, we have no reason to think treachery, but I will keep the guards on alert in any case.

Goblins to the north!  It is a good thing we took precautions, because goblin raiding parties have appeared to the north.  We are sure they followed the caravan before circling around.  Well, we will fight!

The fight was bloody and fierce, and it cost us the captain of the guard, but we won.  the goblins must have nothing else to do but harass us and die horribly.

---

The traders have gotten inside, and not a moment too soon, a third goblin raidng party had trailed behind it, ambushing a mason.

He managed to escape immediete death, but ran into  a tomb considered 'undesecrated'.  The fool!  Luckily, the  curse didn't trigger, or else there isn't one on that tomb.  Whatever the case, he died after a bit of dodging.  A real shame.  I have ordered the bridges closed and retracted respectively.

---

With the arrival of autumn came an odd mood . . .

A very large map:
map
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:13:40 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »

*so I apologize for the duplicate pictures in my last post.  I pounded it out and didn't check the details*
*Also, I have been taking a turn in the museum thread!  Its fun, I do recommend*

Season 15

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1054

So, The mason who died last week, who was one of the original 7, has confirmed for us in his panic that the tomb he ran into is not cursed.  It would seem that there is still a skeleton in the coffin, so I can only imagine why that one isn't cursed.  Maybe we are just being too paranoid . . .
Either way I have decided that all original founder's of our fort will be buried as nobility.  The least I can do.

---

Trade with the humans went well enough.  They seemed fascinated by our presence; almost awed to see us.  The caravan leader tried to 'shake' my hand, and didn't seem to want to let go.  I was almost afraid he would try to  touch my beard.  At least I know it isn't just my own dwarves who are weird these days.

The humans, oddly enough, had no cloth, instead offering oversized armour and rather shoddy weaponry.  We bought all the cages, metal instruments, and bars they had, though, and they got to ohh and ahh over our figurines.  All was well enough.

I asked the humans why they didn't just bring more metal instruments and animals in cages, and they replied that 'they weren't expecting to actually expecting to encounter the mythological dwarves'.  I visibly scoffed at this, and the silence after was awkward enough that I took my leave and hoped our trader had learned enough.

I would like to note to you that they even bought our old ragged clothing saying they could sell it to midgets and the peasantry for their kids.  Rude plainshumpers.

Before the caravan left, a dwarf took me aside and tried to show me a copper helmet.  We had been making these for quite a while now, and even favored iron or bone for their material, and it was only when I took a second to examine it did I see what he wanted me to see.

An anvil?  do the goblins fancy themselves crafters?  Well, It would seem they built the tombs, what with the thrall skeletons, but simply outrageous to imagine the goblins stealing a traditional dwarven symbol.  We are selling all such foul pieces of equipment to the humans for disposal.

---

We had another trick lever pulled, in addition to the 'secret' one outside.  Nothing harmful, but certainly annoying.  If I had half a mind I would put one behind some repeating spikes . . .  I've heard you can bucket fill a cheap and small one.

---

The ambush that took the mason has finally decided to make its way up to us.  It took a few days, and I was worried they would force us out to find them.  Leisurely little buggers.
The ambush was over fast, and no other casualties were reported aside from our mason.

---

More migrants.  I have had the miner dig out a new dorm-room on the farmer Dorm level, but they haven't completed it yet.  They keep alternating between the tombs and the dorm.
Speaking of tomb, I was contemplating putting up a massive outdoor tomb, a monument to all dwarves that would stand for thousands of years, complete with traps and possible a self-destruct lever.  I dont have the patience yet, Im still waiting for a number of my military to recover so we can proceed into the caverns.  Not wise to do that with half a squad.

---

The chief doctor, who entered a mood a scarce month or two ago has went mad.  Im not sure why, but he wanted 'stacks of cloth'.  We tried to produce that for him, but apparently we weren't fast enough.  I blame my loomworkers for this, and vow to never lose a dwarf to insanity again.  At least he went into his room and sulked for a bit, instead of hanging around the mess hall.
A real shame.  A an informal student of the craft myself, myself, I take a real interest in the welfare of the medical staff.  His replacement is much greener, having just arrived within the last half a year.

---

A new storage area has been dug out for the caverns.  It will, for now, be the hub for the stoneworkers and jewelers, just to get them out of the main hall.  Well, central hall, its hardly grand enough to be the main hall . . .
These rooms are properly huge, to accommodate the massive amounts of stone we generate digging our rooms.  I have ordered the old stone room turned into a cheap statue garden, to further split up the dwarves.  We will modify it as seen fit.

---

An ambush.  A field hand was caught in it, and did not fare very well.  The rest have made it inside.
I at first thought it was a random act of aggression, but it would seem that the carvans were behind it.

The goblins managed to chase off the traders, although the guard was brave enough to stick around.  I thanked them and told them I would be happy to have them as members of my fort.  I am trying not to show it, but I am greatly upset at the loss of the caravan.  Its just that as we were attacking the trader's harassers from behind a second ambush party appeared behind us, flanking us.  Though we all survived, I count 8 or 9 wounded, not counting the caravan guards, and one recruit suffocated soon after the conflict ended.

---

Work on a cavern bridge has been ordered.  As soon as we have a healthy squad we will take the caverns.

---

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:39:34 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »

Season 16

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Winter, 1054

Combat reports came in.  Besmar, the leader of the military, was outperformed by every other dwarf.  The engraver from last year, who went to the hospital after we struggled to close the door, had fewer fractures and more kills in that incident than Besmar in this one.
Besmar took early bolts in the shoulder, and fell unconscious before swinging his axe once.  Then he spent the rest of the battle (five pages worth of reports) eating the goblin iron bolts and silver arrows from three goblins.  His skull is fractured through his steel helmet and his body broken through his iron armor.  Without his armor he would have undoubtedly died.

Medtob the deceased Captain of the Guard has has reportedly been spotted, roaming around the topside.  I scoff at the idea, especially since he knows the name given to him post-mortem:

He knew he was awarded a hero's title after he died?  That says quite a bit about the superstitions of the civilians.  Still, I suppose it costs nothing to humor them, and I have ordered a slab to be engraved in his honor.  He can join the others for now.

I have also ordered a retracting bridge to be constructed for the cavern entrance.  Nothing too fortified, but a very serviceable entrance.

---

Our mayor, the Stone Crafter (why, I have no clue), has finally stopped his campaigning and made a few stone hives for our beekeeper.  She is the  wife of the bookkeeper, and as the wife of a hard working noble I granted her request to explore the industry.  We have a fine sheltered area to work in, after all.  Well, the first hive was harvested today, by a guardsdwarf with an idle mind.  After our beekeeper saw the guardsdwarf transport five-teen thousand bees in one hand and a baby in the other, she sprang into action.

No issues have been reported so far, however I will watch for them.  In the meantime I have ordered the excavation of a mason's dormitory.

---

An odd mood has claimed our forge in the middle of an order for axes.  Stealing our only bar of iron, a military dwarf works fervently.  I can only imagine what is being made, But I am excited to think of it . . .

---

Yea, I've decided to try to disallow dwarves from claiming my forge.  My faith is broken.
A blasted iron amulet?!

---

Looking topside, we have been slow to cleanup, to the extent that one wounded warrior still languishes on the surface, slowly starving.  I was begining to worry for him when somebody finally came to get him.
I was actually completely okay with his hollering and yelling down in the hospital.  What were the haulers thinking, leaving him up there for a month?  He must have been fat-laden to survive.  Thankfully, he did have supplies on him that he was able to subsist on . . .

---

The tombs have begun accepting bodies.  We are taking it slowly, carefully constructing and deconstructing coffins to ensure every dwarf has its own proper place.  So far, maybe ten dwarves have found their way home.
Rest in peace Tekkud.

---

The liaison came skulking back to us yesterday.  He apologized for the caravan, and asked us to name a noble in our fort.  A legitimate noble.

I, of course, nominated myself, and Fikod the manager as my back-up.

Just in time for the jail to be completed.

---

I have ordered a second noble's quarters to be furnished, for the mayor.

---

Traps have been laid for the ghostly saboteur.  Since he likes pulling levers so much, we have rigged one behind a door.  When pulled, it will release a zombie into the room.  I hope he likes it.

---

The liaison has heard that we plan to pierce the caverns and confront the creature making the angered roars.  He quickly concluded his business and took off.  Coward, but not stupid.
I re-ordered what we ordered last year, as we still require strong metal.

So, yes, we have finalized our preparations.  I want the military healthy for this, but half force will have to do.

---

I have stationed the military at the entrance.  We are as prepared as we can be for this.

The results were indisputable.  The new year was rung in with the dying cries of the beast.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:54:50 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

Season 17

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1055

A trog tried to bother our miner, and I found it a perfect time to institute the miner's reserve squad.

In the silence that fell over the caverns, a new menace has moved into the area.  This one appears to boast a large amount of poisonous vapors pouring forth from its mouth.
I have ordered the cavern bridge retracted, since we have no had time to construct the containment chambers.  Wooden doors have been ordered, and hopefully we will distract it for a ranged attack.

Inside, the mason's dorm has been completed, and beds have been assigned formally by occupation.  Order will begin to reign now.

---

Migrants have arrived today, pushing us over 80 migrants.  we added a heavy weapon trap in a critical location to help the fort fortify.

Swimming regiments have been assigned to weaker dwarves.  Their progress is slow, but noticeable.

---

A siege!  We have recalled all topside forces.
No casualties, and with the beast below we could hardly care about a springtime siege.  But early reports seem to indicate a small force

---

A child has been possessed and claimed a craftshop.  The doors, while complete, are have not been constructed in place yet.  I have added furniture hauling to all idlers.

---

The siege has been broken!  Why, I wonder?
I am sure it won't be an issue in the future.

---

Summer came, and we are still fortbound.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »

So, Year 04:

-Got into the caves, to get put out again.
-Although I did set some mega-beasts to attack at 70, Im sure they are likely dead given the size and age of the world.
-I suppose I should make a giant outdoor tomb.  Or something.
-going through melt-able items is a pain.  In the interest of not waking up any mummies myself I've taken to designating a few pieces at a time from the loo(k) command.  I still sport mostly copper, as I brought a lot of tetrahedrite and found even more below.  Sadly.

Our buddy Besmar is back up, and hopefully he will get around to taking a drink sometime this year.  I have enough of it.  Notably his right hand is kaput.

I did another season, because I wanted the two issues resolved.  Depending on how you look at it, they were resolved either fortunately or sadly.  I should be able to type out a story for it tonight.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:50:11 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: The Goblins get Upset
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 09:50:38 pm »

Season 18

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Summer, 1055

The dual-siege is a burden on us.  It is a burden on our workflow, our morale, and our trading.  Most importantly, it is a burden on our pride, and will not stand.  Though the goblins had opened their own tombs, the mummy inside unleashed Pandora's Box upon them and then disappeared somewhere, as the last one did.  I suspect they wander the world to terrorize more poor souls, however that is no concern of ours.

We organized by the surface in the block room for a test of our newest weapon trap.

As we opened the Trade Depot bridge, the moody dwarf produced his artifact:
I don't know why I even mention these 'artifacts' any more.

---

The zombies, who had been relatively calm, seemed to hear the sound of the drawbridge chains, and smell a path to use.  In their shambling way, almost all of them made their way to the Depot, in typical conga-line fashion.  By way of our design, the zombies had to travel through the weapon trap in order to get inside, and our military was in wait should any do so.  However, with three iron great axes and an iron pike, I doubt very much that they will.

When the lined halted we rushed the remaining zombies.  No injuries and no casualties were reported.  Between our numbers, and slowly growing skill base (slow_learner, yea?) we were unstoppable.
Next on the list is dealing with the FB!.

---

The Forgotten Beast decided to dance around for a week or two, toying with the dwarves and trying to gain an advantage.  We were forced to move closer to a corner, allowing the marksdwarves less time to react to its presence before he closed.  Joke is on him, though, because we positioned the meleedwarves behind the marksdwarves.  The marksdwarves would be smart to flee from his rush.

The plan went as well as could.  The meleedwarves had to close, in order to engage the beast and lope off its limbs.  The amount of foul air it could spew was limited, and there were no casualties from the fighting.  Victory!

After the fighting was over, I released the military and reviewed the mess.  Blood and body parts littered the area, however I saw no unnatural materials, and cleared the civilians to clear away the mess.
Back inside, I found the haulers had installed the doors - A bit late, arsehats.

---

A problem has been reported in the lower staircases.  a few problems, really.

It would seem that some of the dwarves who got too close to the Beastly Bear started bleeding from various orifices.  One poor lad's ear starting leaking his brain, and when autopsied his lungs were found to carry his blood like a waterskin.  A painful way to die.
All said, three dwarves dropped dead after leaving generous piles of blood in a trail.  Disguising, but they are to be awarded a military burial, an arditi, a seabee, and an axedwarf apiece

---

Topside, the miasma form the zombies as become intolerable.  We spend months hauling bee and hamster remains into the refuse pit, and we can't just pick up the zombie corpse?
If there were traders present I would flog the plebs in front of them.  And feed the skin bits to the damn elves for good measure.  Speaking of, we've heard nothing form them lately . . .

---

Exploration of the cavern began today.  I chose the adriti squad alpha, due to them being on duty anyway, and the ranged attacks.  I considered using the Hinfantry for the tight corners, but its mostly an open space from what we have seen.  It mattered not either way, as we saw nothing  more than a few draltha.
The first forgotten beast was engaged in melee with a tribe of olmmen, who were slaughtered.  It would seem their champion fought him to a standstill for quite a while.  In the end, though, he clearly lost.  We have decided to bury them in the unnamed tomb, pending approval of the monarch.

---

The adriti asked me to visit the village.  I reluctantly agreed, and by the gods was it terrifying.  The blood was everywhere.  Children were run down a ways from the huts, clearly trying to flee.  gore dried into stalactites, clinging to the leather draped as doors.  I held my lunch down, but it was hard.

Not far from the village we found a passage downward.  Its anybody's guess where it goes, but the braver adriti say there is a second chasm beneath this first.  Exploration of it will have to wait.  We will fortify what we have first.

---

A second goblin siege.  I suspected the first was but a test, and when they failed to return triumphant a main force arrived.
Ogresquads have been spotting trashing an empty tomb.  Remember that traps I said would be good?  I wish we had rigged it right about now.  dropping the whole tomb around the ogres would go a long way to make me happy.

---

Our first criminal was punished today.  Unable to meet whatever demand was issued by the baron, the clothier was given ten poundings.  The inexperienced hammerer fulfilled his job admirably, breaking an arm but otherwise only bruising the skin wickedly.  A job well done.

Fortification of the cavern is shoddy at best, but nearing completion.  We will remove some of the constructed walls to allow access later; for now its important we have some kind of base.

---

Here is a map of the world as we know it, sans the empty staircases:
Map
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:22:54 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: The [s]Goblins[/s] Elves get Upset
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 10:17:42 pm »

Season 19

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Autumn, 1055

As we began shoring up our defenses in the caves, the ogress squad joined with the goblin army.  Without a good target, they were aimless and quite boring.  Most of their infighting and squabbling were non-lethal; those subordinate were not willing to risk engagement.  that hardly meant, however, that they were competent in the way they followed instructions.

Well, it's autumn, and we're expecting the caravan.  We need that metal, and a few sock thieves aren't going to stop us.  Inside, we reviewed our options, which included collapsing pockets of Earth beneath them and carving our fortifications.  ultimately, we went for something a bit more . . .  fun.
Seeing as how there was confirmed to be no mummy inside, we knew there was no danger of a necromancer re-animating the corpses.

---

The zombies were slow to react to their freedom.  They made no real attempt to leave the tomb until one seemed to trip out the door, and then, seeing the sunlight, slowly filtered towards the door.  The first ones out didnt go after the goblins, but instead attacked wildlife, which attracted the goblin horde.

The ogresses, however, decided to attack the trap door I set up.  which is fine, I put it there for a reason.

At first the conflict was rather muted - goblins were beaten one on one, but we expected mediocre training to lose to unnatural strength and endurance, and all our experience pointed to that being the case.  But then the goblins got excited and rushed into the tomb.  I would like to think that they thought they had found a secret entrance into the fort, but who knows why they all picked up and went.

I was enthralled by the whole ordeal.  I was afraid that due to the zombie triggering the traps inside they would be too few in numbers to impact the siege, but due to the goblin's sloppy tactics the zombies were more than capable of providing a chance for us to attack.

Unfortunately I was interrupted with spam from my messengers.  First the loomworkers were unable to find webs to spin, which is ludicrous.  There are over 25 webs scattered in the cave.  Then, a child had a mood, claimed a shop, and decided to inform me he was constructing his project.  Runt, although I am happy to see one so young becoming so industrious.

---

With the main force off hunting zombie skeletons, the ogresses were isolated and easily picked off by both our cages and our military.  We lowered the Depot bridge and calmly waited for them to resurface.

---

As the frenzy of goblin-zombie combat ended the goblins returned to their siege posts to find our door open.  We wanted to test our weapon trap as well as clear out the scum as early as possible, so we planned our usual ambush.  With no survivors to tell of how we do it, how could they know our usual plan?
Once again the block room would serve its dual-purpose.

Although a few fell into the pits, or got mangled in the weapon trap, more made it through with a few wounds.  As they took the predictable shortcut through the block room we slaughtered them.  More pushed through, and eventually tried to circle around us, but we were both numerous and organized.  Pushing the tide back, we charged into the Depot area, intent of driving the rest off.
The siege was broken and there were perhaps one or two survivors.  I have never known the goblins to halt their hostilities once incensed, but one could always hope.

---

The artifact child came up to me, and showed me the first piece of good news regarding odd moods I've heard since arriving in-fort.
A floodgate worth almost 100 thousand dwarfbucks.  Praise, its functional and lavish!

---

A migrant wave arrived, however the migrants refused to cross the tombs and enter our fort, appearing almost frozen in space.  It was although they didn't belong here yet were struggling against an invisible rope to make it.  After a week of watching their non-stop exertions we left them to their fate, for better or worse.
Notably, a trader was spotting making a small camp, as they were before the zombie sieges.  I'm watching them . . .

---

Cleanup of the topside siege has been slow and unwieldy.  We have the wounded Besmar starving to death while haulers bring in trinkets and our carpenter received four poundings for failure to make chairs.  The new mayor, a lowly furnace worker, was immediately replaced with a more competent and predicable stone crafter.  He never ordered good dwarves beaten.  I will not lose a member of my original seven to a hopped up blue collar rock-roller.  phah, the nerve of the beard.

---

When the miasma in the hall got particularly bad I went to go check up on Besmar.  He wasn't there.  I freaked out, searching through the miasma for his body.  I couldn't find it.  I checked his tomb, and he wasn't there.  I searched my logs and could find no trace of him.  Nobody ever recovered him.

I went to the training room to ask the boys where he was, and lo and behold there he was, leading an axe demonstration!  With a sigh of relief I ordered a physical on him, and it turned out his broken leg had actually healed on its own, and he got up and walked off to train the military without informing me.  That guy . . .
The carpenter was not blessed with such healing, and is resting in our hospital.

---

An elvish ambush!  Rather, one animal trainer and his personal war polar bear squad.  A small nuisance, the team missed a chance to pick off a hauler but murdered his cat, sending him into a fit.  Luckily, a goblin was spotted skulking and was chosen as the next target.  We assembled and marched on the force, which stood no chance.

As we recalled the military, a caravan arrived, with both a human and dwarven diplomat.  well, I say human diplomat, but . . . it was about the ugliest human I ever saw.

---

A second elven ambush!  This one was a bunch of war-bow* wielding nancies.  As we summoned the military from the block room a second war party appreared, toting what amounts to elven clubs.  Phah, as if their wooden war hammers were comparable to good old iron.
Spoiler: *ooc (click to show/hide)

A third party sprung from ambush as we readied the soldiers.  This one consisted of war polar bears.

As we moved outside a fourth ambush revealed itself to the north west.  Elite bowelves!  If that wasn't enough, it appears as if a fifth ambush appeared from the north, elves riding giant slugs and firing their wooden bows.

The fighting was intense, and as we chased off one group of hippies another seemed to materialize.

What started as a fairly pitched battle soon descended into general chaos.  Dwarves became separated and vulnerable, and even more slug-rider appeared:

Perhaps too late to affect the battle, more giant ticks rushed forward to suck the blood from the field.

As the battle wound down, we had lost little, and gained even less.  Wooden crap and some more valuable hides

I conducted business with the caravan for their wares, over thirty thousand dollars.  Unfortunately the forgotten beast roasts were not brought topside yet, and so I temporarily returned the metal bars and weaponry, instruments.  I believe this has helped us immensely, with three of the most important civilizations witnessing our victory.  Our wounded are being collected, and the winter air brings that crisp satisfaction that makes me actually enjoy the open air.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:56:24 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

panstach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 04:12:04 am »

underrated thread, keep up the good work!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2014, 07:41:58 am »

Cool story, if only it had screenshots with a graphics pack...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 02:39:39 pm »

Cool story, if only it had screenshots with a graphics pack...
Heresy.  You can see far more with my rectangular ascii :P
Besides, I wouldn't know how to start.

Season 20

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Winter 1055

Combat reports flooded my desk, and I have finally boiled down the numbers.  Excluding the caravan guards and animals, we suffered 5 casualties, 1 fatality.  The fatality, a Hinfantry member who wasn't properly equipped.
His legs were bitten off and found inside the stomach of the beast.  Terrible thing, to get eaten alive.

The elven war bows shot the limbs off of several animals, killing them.  We have collected them, and will likely trade them away.  We care little for the weapons of the enemy, even if it is a powerful tool indeed.

One elven hammerman was captured, and once disarmed he will be put on display.  Heh, he had already been de-footed.

while inventory was being checked I ordered a summary of the fort's finances.
We are coming along, but we do not have the elite soldiers we deserve.

. . . It appears she has surpassed our military commander in kills, and is worthy of every respect.  She may be in line for champion.
She is quite talented, after all.

---

The biscuits arrived topside.  I thoguht they were roasts, given their value.  Forgive my error.
We will not be trading them to the caravan, all we require is the rest of the metal bars.

---

I figured out why the dwarven migrants couldn't reach us.  They were trapped on a rock face.  I have sent our backup carpenter to rescue them with ramps and floors.
They are starved and understandably upset by the experience, however still very much alive.

The groundwork for the tomb has been laid.  Construction will begin, eventually.  Given the unstable state of the topside, I will attempt to construct as much as possible inside the ground first.

---

Another useless artifact.  Whats worrying me more than the string of uselessness is the complete lack of local lore.  We have chosen to depict history rather than the present.  Maybe I should start engraving the floors and walls soon . . .
I've been holding off on engravings until interesting event happened and we required higher class rooms, but I'm getting tired of waiting.

---

We chained a zombie goblin in  the public statue garden.  Its his jail as much as the criminals of the fort, and to be viewed as an attraction inside Bedlam is  . . . even more bedlam.  A curse of its own.

No sooner than the zombie goblin imprisoned than a horde of undead flooded into the area.   The dwarf zombies are back!  Inside, everyone!

I set the military to gather in the Depot, however my hopes of saving those outside quickly diminished when I saw how close the necromancer's were to our gate.  Raising the creatures left outside, it became apparent that we weren't going to win a direct confrontation.  And for whatever reason our military was slow to gather, so I was resigned to first grouping in the block room and later closing the doors on our trapped workers.
Soldiers scrambled to pick up last minute weapons and gear from outside, further reducing my confidence.

---

Of the dwarves outside, two were armed with crossbows and chose to fight rather than flee.  A brave choice, but their inexperience cost them.
An ambush by the merlocks marked their intent to kill us.  Fortunately we weren't the ones who found them.

And, as if there wasn't enough commotion topside, a minotaur demonstrates his poor timing.

Ultimately, the zombies themselves began shambling towards our gate, forcing us to shut it.

Outside, a lumberdwarf and the broker and her baby flee wildly for their lives.  Poor beards.

---

As if our current problems weren't enough, a Forgotten beast came up form the depths, intent on attacking us with its webs.

I have instituted a Fortress Alert to all civilians.  Nobody enters or leaves the fortress proper.

---

While trogs attacked our animals cavernside, the fighting finished up topside.  a necromancer human ran into a weapon trap and bled, the merlocks were smashed, and the minotaur murdered.  The second necromancer, an armoursmith, decided to leave for no real apparent reason, cuing us to regroup topside and try to save the broker, who still clung to her baby and ran for her life.

We will try to save her with a defensive assault.

map

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:07:57 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 04:50:40 pm »

Some Thoughts for year 05:

-what the heck elves :[
-Framerate is between 20 and 45, depending on what I am doing.  all the corpses are not helping, and neither is the waterfall.  40 isnt too bad, but 20 is about unplayable unenjoyable.  I usually flip to tabs online if its that slow.
-My design is missing a secondary door with which to shut out adventureous military dwarves.  Which cost me this next season.
-I really, really am looking forward to world continuity, with sensible armies sieging me and more complex fort-world interactions.  I consider world-gen a minigame.
-I will make the tomb, and hopefully complete it.  My first (hopefully) megaproject!
-I've been making more use of the 'DF Siege' playlist ;)  Orders From the Dead! and I Am Colossus!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:53:39 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »

Season 21

Excerpts from:
Journal of the Overseer
  Spring, 1056

. . . but we will do our best.  The Depot door was unlocked after we lowered the bridge.  The hope is that the zombies will conga into the weapon trap and either die or dodge into the pit.

At first, the plan went well.  We had no direct combat, and one by one the goblin skeletons were minced into giblets.  But then, the military commander realized he left an important piece of equipment outside, and without a door to lock him out of I was forced to either let him fight his way through the horde alone or seal off the entrance and let him die.  Or call the assault a failure and seal up. Or forbid the exact object he wanted, but how would I know what he wanted?  I would have to mass forbid everything.
I don't want him to die, and so long as they stick together and cover each other's backs the dwarves can slay virtual armies.

Fighting their way through the Depot, the zombies fell and the military exited the fort.  This was undesirable, but given the meleedwarves propensity to blindly chase down opponents it was better to cover them with the crossbows than let them fight unassisted.  I allowed recovery teams to haul away the wounded, but I fear that sneaky civilians will use the opportunity to grab food or booze.  which reminds me; because we apparently decided to stop planting plump helmets or pig tails we don't have an internal source of clothing.  Which is worrisome.

Besmar took a broken ankle as a result of his impertinence, and we lost a total of six dwarves, five to the fighting and one succumbing to his wounds a time after.  We did get to save both the lumberdwarf and the broker w/child.
With such a large loss of life, almost all new recruits, wives, husbands and comrades are on edge, and several weekend warriors are tantruming at an alarming rate.  I have ordered the waterfall on as a contingency, but it always makes time pass a bit slower . . .

---

The vampire olm-man diplomat from the humans (and we've seen him before, in the capital) has been attacking our restrained guests and the resulting kill has begun to stink up our fort.  I have asked him to stay away from the public statue garden as a courtesy for our guests.  He seemed complaint, but I do not trust him.

A murder!  our first, and best, animal trainer was found, dead in his bed!

I have deferred judgement for the time being, as I have two tantruming dwarves, and two important diplomats.  When I have organized our foreign business I shall investigate this troubling development.

---

. . . that's our liaison covered, and now its time to deal with the olm man.  Where did he get off to?

I finished my business with him and sent him on his way.

---

The tantruming is getting worrisome.  I have decided to assign a few dogs to the worst offenders, in the hopes that the companionship will help cheer them up.  As a bonus, they will both attack crazy dwarves and take the brunt of abuse from tantrums.  A win-win, as we can save the lives of our people.

Migrants have arrived, and will be used to supplement our ranks.  Our light-armor crossbow squad was decimated, with one survivor, so I tried to fit as many as practical into the position.  Conscripts and seabee are only part-time warriors, anyhow.

---

Our cook had a third child recently, and in celebration reached legendary status cooking!  A fine feat indeed, and we are all proud of her.  A true dwarven lass, and an example of how the military is only one way to achieve respect.

---

Cleanup topside is slow, and haulers complain about a lack of space to dump corpses.  I have assigned a whopping 5 extra locations for the placement of uncookable organic matter.

---

Bloody Bomreks!  The olm-man diplomat has been discovered, skulking in our fort.  Worse, he has been caught red handed attacking our citizens.  Bomrek, our second starting seven miner, was drained of blood in his sleep!  I issued a full-scale military order to execute him.  I convicted him of the crime and by law we have the right.  The one to strike him down will get double pay for three months, and our eternal gratitude.  I hope the humans understand . . .

The monster kept trinkets and trophies of his victims on his personage.  Well, he will not get a dwarven one!

---

Smelling the diplomat's foul blood, a second forgotten beast has entered our domain, intent of feeding.  Well, 'Highlnder' can wait until we wish to fight him.
The first one is simply swimming in our drainage water, and we still have a few live animals pastured in the caverns  . . . odd because we havent enclosed the area.

---

Another elven ambush has appeared, catching three off-duty dwarves outside.  I activated the military for muster, and instead the brave lads fought the elves without reinforcements. 
Spoiler: the future (click to show/hide)

. . . due to this, we believe the elves must be running out of options

Her pretty little head is now rolling around the tombs.
And maybe now they will see how much they need peace.

---

Fighting continues outside.  We have won, clearly, however they keep appearing and then fleeing to regroup.  riding on giant keas this time, they hide from us in a most dishonorable way.
Curse the keas and curse the elves!  Two annoying pests that we will gladly wipe out!

---

Summer has arrived, without one plant planted.  ugh.

The fighting continues, and I spot a horde of archers to the south, waiting around a trap; studying it most likely.  The is also one stubborn elf who is hiding in a tree, and refuses to come down.  We can not engage him, and he takes shots at our civilians who wish to clean the dead.

Inside, a bronze artifact sword was made!   Useful for now, considering our lack of iron.

Our military is straight pissed at this point, and I am worried about what will happen now . . .

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:00:19 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7