Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you prefer seeing a graphics pack over ascii?

No, I use ascii myself, and don't like graphic packs.
- 13 (26.5%)
No, ascii is natural, but I don't mind graphic packs
- 9 (18.4%)
Neutral option
- 10 (20.4%)
Graphics packs are better for people
- 5 (10.2%)
I use and like graphic packs, ascii is confusing.
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Last Fort [FIN]  (Read 16306 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Leg Like a Hole
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:58 pm »

Okay.  So absence is absence.  I did this maybe a week ago.  I am, in real-time, done with the day here.

What's with the cave elves? Are they just a giant collection of elf outcasts that happens to live close to eachother?
I guess the forest retreat being by there had a bit to do with it, on reflection . . .

Adventure Segment 09

Tomorrow came, and we set off.  I say we, but in reality my companion had an accident in the river, and there was something preventing me from fast traveling to save his life.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What could it be?

CamberJest, a tower.  hmmm

Arriving on site, I am glad I was cautious.  A zombie stood at attention by the door, as if under orders to hold the door.

I'm in no shape to try to fight them, but Ill make an effort to sneak around and see who's what, yah?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:25:35 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Leg Like a Hole
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2014, 07:34:49 pm »

Adventure Segment 10

Looking over my skills, I recognize opportunity.  I can train my throwing and sneaking and possibly get some loot from the zeds!  I wish my crutch-walking was a bit better, but it isn't and I don't know if it is wise to hang around too long.

At least I feel better throwing rocks at the damn zombies, which all seem to be dwarven, for some reason.  In various states of decay, I have to wonder how many dwarves were murdered by the fiends within?
Well, either way, I feel better knapping and throwing the rocks at the dwarves.

The zombies had varying amounts of loot on them, from nothing to clothing to knives and even a few quivers of arrows.  I had a blast firing off a quiver of silver arrows.

Still more zombies came outside as I did this, as if they knew there was a disturbance.  Luckily I never had to close on their locations.

As the day wore on the zombies outside dwindled.  I took to shouting at them and then running to a new location.  I would circle around them and then throw things at them outside of the view of a necromancer inside on the first floor.  He was raising a few of the bodies, so I've also taken to throwing them off the hillside.  Cant be too sure, now can i?

When the necromancer did come outside to check, he was quite agreeable with me.  I still remained hidden  but he and I had a talk about the area and those elves up across the river.  Apparently they were the outcasts of the forest retreat not far from here . . . hmmm

I told him my story and he laughed a bit.  I don't quite trust him, and with the Sun going down I think I should either make a move to get inside or move along . . .

----

Sheepers~ His youngest son married in 0016  That makes him about the oldest living thing in this world!  Well, maybe not 'living' in the proper sense . . .

Also, all caught up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:40:38 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: The River is Time, and You Downing in it Means You're Dumb
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »

Adventure Segment 11

After I announced that I would be leaving for the fort he told me to have a careful trip, which he told me was properly called 'The Zenith of Forts'.  He explained that the jungles were full of mystery and danger.  Whatever, I crawled behind a mound of dirt and laid for the night.  I awoke to the approaching sound of battle
What was going on?!  Some force was fighting with the zombies!

I walked toward and circled around the doorway, avoiding the charging zombie wave as it fell on these little black monsters, with featureless faces and these long white fangs glowing in the moonlight.  They looked like rabbits, almost fuzzy and most had these long tails that constantly flailed about, as if they were their own creature.

After the little horrors were destroyed they seemed to evaporate into . . . nothing.  Whatever they were, they were no match for the seemingly endless horde of zombies.  I dispatched the ones who were outside and slept until dawn, this time in a more concealed location.

In the morning, I scanned the area for signs of battle.  I found a 'bogeyman hand' and a 'bogeyman tongue'.  I wonder why those were left behind?  I put the parts into my bag.

With a glance back, the zombies were milling about aimlessly again.  Its time to move on.  I set out west and south, hoping to avoid the 'mystery'.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:23:53 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2014, 01:45:15 pm »

Adventure Segment 12

Traveling throughout the day, I suddenly find myself faced with unseen hostilities!
Foul goblin names!  To arms!  I duck behind a tree and sneak.  Luckily, nobody say me crouch, so I'm now invisible.  Haha, now to wait for them to close in on my last known location . . .

. . . where are they?  I'm sure they should have been swarming the area by now.
I go up the hill to look for my attackers, and find to my surprise they are grinning at me!  They knew where I was the whole time?
I ask them what the meaning of this whole charade was
tl:dr
   -Ur, you killed over 12 elves!  we think you are a hero of our times, and while we were going to attack a lone traveler, we were not prepared to attack a hero such as yourself.

I asked the two goblins I found to join me to the dwarven fort, as protection.  They agreed, if we would go hunting for more elves.  These things are poorly armored and poorly trained, and Im just that awesome, even with my limited mobility.

I think I've found some of the 'mystery'.  A stream was found, springing forth from the ground in the most odd fashion.  In my education, I have never heard of a stream coming form the ground, though the humans told me that there were great liquid oceans under most of the healthy ground.  Its why we never needed to water our crops.
I worry I'll make a poor dwarf if I don't know a basic thing like where water comes from or why it rose up like that, but hopefully my combat kills will speak for themselves.

As night fell, my goblins and I found a cave, we would kill the monster inside, be it one.
A monster indeed.  With a brag list and a hero name, the elf lashed out at us, and we had to defend ourselves

I reequipped myself, and we set off again.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »

Adventure Segement 13

While walking, we lost one of the goblin swordsmen to the night.  We don't know where he went or what he did, but we turned around and he was gone.  Maybe he went to get the loot at that last cave, or he found some of those little black monsters to play with.

Pressing on, we are suddenly ambushed by a call in the night!
The call was followed by a stuggle I couldn't find for a few seconds.  That was all it took for my goblin companion to be maimed.  I beat back the vile elf and examine the wounds of the goblin.

It wasn't life threatening, but would certainly leave a few scars.  I agree to rest for two hours, to give him time to recover . - - - - -

I wake up  . . . to silence.  Looking around, only the call of the critters of the night greets me.  My companion is nowhere to be seen, and a search for him turns up leather.  Leather?  Well, walking around further only seems to increase the number of them.  Is it raining cave mole leather?  Either way, more and more keep coming, and time drags on, a moment begins taking . . . well longer than a moment.  That poor goblin can fend for himself, I can't stay here and risk whatever this 'mystery' is.

Moving south and west, I find a cave.  With winding tunnels that transverse multiple hills, this cave appeared modified by forces other than nature.  Inside was an elf of hostile disposition.

He was ferocious, but naked, and I used him for some armor practice.  His end came, soon enough, and I decided to sleep in his cave for the night.

Upon waking, I hunted down a giraffe, and continued west.  I appear to have overshot my destination, and I traveled east to the western end of the tomb complex.

I arrive on site, and rattlesnakes provide the early omen, slithering in and out of tombs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:02:13 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 11:01:36 am »

*Read the post above, its the editted one from last night. It has an entry now*

Adventure Segment 014

Ignoring the omens, I travel west in a cautious fashion.  I come to a visible wall of trees, where the hills meet the jungle.  In the jungle I start to find bones and refuse scattered around haphazardly.

What happened here?  I see dwarven corpses and goblin gibs and even animal parts scattered all over.  Some great battle seems to have taken place.  I sneak and keep the south of the tombs.  I find one without a door and investigate.

In the distance, the sounds of fighting drift to me.  Where, I just don't know.  In my distraction I step onto a trap, and it breaks my foot.  Silly trap, I dont have too much feeling there any more, and am more than tough enough to endure the pain.

I find a coffin with a skeleton in it, the lid slightly ajar.  I am not going near it, you'd be a fool to.  But I will rest a smidge to heal myself up.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:51:36 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »

Adventure Segment 015

Upon waking and exiting the tomb, I was again struck by the apparent carnage and chaos all around me.  Surveying the land north of this tomb, I found a living dwarf sifting amongst the rubble, looking for something.

'He- Hello?  My name is Ur, and I have decided to migrate here.'
'Boxes.  Boxes on wheels'
'What?'
'Boxes, I need more of them for the wheels.  They fit together, you know.'
'Oh . . . well.  Soo, why do you need them?'
'For a sneaktrap.  The ghosts come round, and try to steal all our stuff.  But I wont let them.  Its my duty to trap them in the cages, and I can't very well wait for them to walk by and pull a sting on them, can I?'  No, Ur, I need boxes on wheels.  You want to ge inside [points north] and talk to somebody there.'

'Who am I going to speak to?'
'Oh, nobody is in charge any more.  We all do our own jobs now.  Anyone should help you.'

And with that, he went off, mumbling to himself.  I took off to the west, circling back to explore the land more. If I were to be a good hunter I must know the land.
I stepped into a trap, taking three balls to the chest.  I was only just able to climb off of before I passed out.  I woke up in a puddle of vomit and blood, only to drift off again . . .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:58:16 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »

Adventure Segment 016

augh, I feel like crap.  But after a small nap I am at least fit to travel again.  Traveling north, I skip the rest of the large structures, as they seem to be more of the same.
I keep traveling until the forest thins out and the bodies stopped, then head east.  I end up doubling back and finding what I believe is the entrance.  It had best be, with two, no three large gates, a ballista, and a firing floor above.  Gods, this is more like a proper fortress.

By the entrance, I find an engraver, pushing some dirt around with a stick.  I ask her what she is doing, and before I get a proper response, a militia captain draws his mace and asks me to back off.

'The lady is busy with her latest masterpiece, why have you disturbed her?'
'I didnt mean any harm, I simply wanted to get inside the fort.'
'The forts blocked off.  We dont allow strangers in.  Who are you?'
'My name is Ur, and I'm a hunter by trade.  I have come to mi-'
'Go around back, down the ramps, there a back door there.  Mind your manners and report to Besmar.'

Well, stick to you too, sir.  A bit stiff.  True to his word, there was an entrance to the fort, and I was able to explore a bit

Inside, it was dark, and the floors were covered in moss.  Just what was this?
Heading up to the main entrance, I found a Depot.  Rows of slabs lined the wall, and stuff was littered everywhere.
Checking the bags, I found some armor worth trading, and thus removed my old armor for the new.  Now I have an iron mail shirt and good leggings. Thankfully.
Over by the wall, I carefully translate the slabs.  Memorials.  All of them.  Every one of the slabs was a dwarf cut down in battle.  Gods.

Feeling sickened, I head down into the fort itself.  What would await me in there?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:40:10 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »

Adventure Segment 017

Bees, apparently.  Well, I am quite capable of handling those, at least.  Taking seventeen  thousand bees and sticking them in my pocket, I continue to explore the area.  This seems to be some kind of farm th- WHAT WAS THAT?

--- Clearly that was the wrong way.  I heard a deep rumble that ended so quickly that I was left in doubt if I had actually heard it.  I cautiously backed off and circled around, and what I saw was horrendous.

In a field of ash, a great amorphous blob fo flame lay, lazily flicking three tendrils into the dirt every now and then; pulling itself along slowly.  what was it doing there?  How is that safe?  Whatever used to grow in these farms had long been consumed by the beast, and portions of the farm still burned, presumably left as a trail of flame, the same way a trail of slime icks off a slug.

I steady myself but three urists from the creature, and throw bees at it.
Individually the bees did little damage, consumed by the flame before they could attack.  Some got away, and flew around angrily, avoiding the heat to the best of their abilities.

Four or five bees in, and I was beginning to sweat.  The flames of the beast began licking towards my location, as the bees attracted the flame.  Interestingly enough, the flames drawn from the beast itself appeared to reduce the size of the monster.  I must bear the heat and continue.  By six or seven bees, I found out why my idea was terrible.

I'm melting!  Gods!  I throw up my hands and run away screaming like a lass caught in the hay by her father.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:09:37 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2014, 06:52:59 pm »

Adventure Segment 018

By the time I reached the passageway, my panic had lessened, and I was sure the creature wasn't following me.  The bleeding had slowed, and had been replaced by a translucent milky substance.  What was it?  It was greasy, and when it did cool took a sticky globy structure.  Was it . . . my fat?  dear god, my own fat had melted!  I was swept over with a wave of nausea and light-headedness; though whether or not that was due to bloodloss I cannot say.

Bees are not going to sait the monster's flame. . . but their effectiveness did push me towards a more foolhardy idea.  What if I threw something larger?  Looking around I saw skeletons and rubish; my own tools would suffice.
   I snuck up to the monster once more, braving the flames and moving carefully.  I threw three slicing knives at it, the last of which utterly rended the beast in two.
Why was the beast here, and how was nobody else concerned with it?  I saw the militia captain just standing guard over an engraver!  Is this really the place I want to migrate to?  I'd be safer with the colony of cave-elves, frankly.

Either way, with the beast slain and my body permanently modified from it, I took stock of myself.

And headed down the ramps and stairs offered.

---

Spoiler: ooc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:13:45 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Democracy Requires Responsibility
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2014, 08:07:23 pm »

Adventure Segment 019

Below was a centralized entrance, with none of the flash you would expect from a grand fort.  Instead it was quite practical, with plainly visible storage areas and several high traffic rooms with remarkably little flare to them.  Sure, the walls, floors, and ceilings were smoothed, but there were no great masterpieces, no engravings of heroics.  Or of anything, for that matter.

The floor was filthy, covered in sand and blood, and gods only know what else.  The major room on the left was a barracks, but on the right it was a small storage room adjacent to a flooded area.  Opening the doors released a torrent of water the immediately pushed me aside.  Whatever was in there was inaccessible.

A broker's child informed me that this floor was home to the most important workers, and the flooded room used to be the hospital.  I was appalled to hear that 'a bunch' of soldiers died inside when a plague ripped into the populace and the room was flooded.  Did they do it to themselves on purpose?  How terrible could this plague be to drown your own soldiers?

Indeed, my imagination proved under-prepared for the task when I meet a grizzled young man.  Not a lick over 80, this soldier was, like me, propped up on a crutch.  With one foot missing, the nastiest harelip you've ever seen, and milky white eyes, this soldier nonetheless had the look of experience about him.

It turned out to be Besmar, the militia commander.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:55:42 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15:11 pm »

Adventure Segment 020

'Are you the Commander of this fort, sir?'
'Aye, but who is it that's askin'?  You dont sound or smell like one of us.'

Noticing his unease I decide to play it straight.

'I'm just a traveler, come to migrate to what the outside world calls 'the last of the dwarven holds.'
'So, it is true?  We are an enigma? . . . Well, anyway, as you can see, we have a bit of a problem with anarchy here.'
'I see.'
'We need a leader.  Ever since the last overseer was slaughtered by that zombie, we've been running around mad.  Im too maimed, and most others cling to the barest threads of sanity.  If you want to help, cleanse the fort of the corruption.'
'Is that my first task?'
'Yes, whatever.  If you make it back with news I'll consider your a member of the fort.'

We conversed for a brief period after, about what I had done in my travels, and what the fort had been through.  Astonishing how many monsters this fort fended off.  Equally astonishing is that that tower I was at was a major antagonist to the fort.  I should have slain that necromancer at any cost . . .

'Anyhow, I explored the rest of what had been coined, 'the farmer's pit', and went down deeper into the gut of the fort . . .

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:27:28 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:35 pm »

Adventure Segment 021

I had gotten a vague sense of the fort layout from Besmar.  For a blind dwarf, he could sure weave a decent picture of what the fort would look like.  Or at least how it was laid out.

Below me was a meeting area, with chains for both prisoners and animals being domesticated.  The idea was to acclimate the animals to the fortress, and embarrass the prisoners into conformity.  Not a terrible strategy, though perhaps a bit harsh.

When I reach the landing I immediately spot a zombie, who was gazing past me at something.  Spotting me, he moves my direction.  Cripes, I wasn't sneaking.  To battle!

I was handily beat in both speed and strength by the monster, but skill was on my side, I had beaten the monster to a pulp when I heard a second creature behind me.  Just not my day.

Swinging my hammer around to build what centripetal force I could, I only narrowly avoid crushing the skull of a dwarven child.

'What are you doing lass?'  I ask after she had calmed down some.
'I was going to help you.  That zombie had me trapped in there for almost three days, and I figured if you lost I would die of thirst!'

Sigh. 'Go upstairs where it is safe.' I tell her, and move on without checking to see if she followed my order.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:32:03 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »

Im . . . having problems with the framerate.  I'm downloading another copy of DF to run, but otherwise its taking 30 second per tile.

And that didnt work.  :/

I went off site to take a nap, and . . .
The game is now exploding with memory intensive use, and I dont know why.

Even downloading  completely vanilla build didnt help.

Im afraid this is over :{

---

FTR, I had slept on site once,  and faced a huge loss of fps.  It was apparently fixed some by leaving the site.  I had also crept off site to sleep, with better results.  But this on is not.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:13:36 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fort: Don't be Mad at Me: The story of Elven Incompetence [FIN]
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2014, 11:20:11 am »

Don't be Mad at Me: The story of Elven Incompetence: 001

So, I cant finish the story, the site is unplayable.  So Instead, have a story about an elf, from another time.  These elves are not exactly the elves of Vanilla DF, but they aren't not the elves of DF.

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)
In the world of Buzong Oxdu, there is a relatively peaceful (as in, they only curbstomped some merlocks) civilization of Thiruriova.  Since time immemorial, spearman Romomi 'IvyGhost' Salooreme lived a  quiet and unproductive life, training in the trees and talking with the animals (literally, they have 3 custom interactions).  However, a malcontent was growing inside him.  Why was he content to do nothing all day?

As time passed (160 years A.A.), Romomi decided he would sit no longer.  As if possessed by a force beyond this world, Romomi grabbed his backpack, wooden spear, and wooden shield.  Perhaps another adventurer would have taken a leather waterskin and meaty foods, but elves didn't use animal products.  They poisoned their blowguns with their own tears, the truest incarnation of elven sorrow (tears cause numbness of considerable degree, a fitting punishment for one who would blindly defile nature).

Leaving his home of JungleBoar, Romomi told all of his neighbors that he would slay the bandit leader in Tiredenter.  This camp was a short travel to the North.  His good friend, hammerman Fewetha, was going to accompany him; keeping him safe from the horrors of the dark.  Nobody knew if they really existed, but the dismembered corpses of those travelling alone were real enough.

Arriving on site, we found two bandits.  Whether or not there were more, a battle would surely tell . . .
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:31:31 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7