Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Undead civilization?  (Read 4759 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Undead civilization?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 12:44:54 pm »

Elves never become necromancer? Hah! I had never noticed!
Damn elves...
They can, though I think I modded the world raws to allow it awhile ago.  I know I didnt change their raws.

274: Kostoxunox, "Shriveledpriest", tower
   Owner: The Common Labors, merlocks
   8 merlocks
   3 dwarves
   1 human
   1 elf
   10 animated elves
   15 animated dwarves
   20 animated merlocks
   13 animated humans

706: Stamaemim, "Organadores", tower
   Owner: The Frilly Orbs, humans
   3 humans
   2 elves
   5 goblins
   3 dwarves
   11 animated humans
   1 animated merlock
   78 animated goblins

I even got a few reptile/serpent/olm men necros.
In fact, the only civilization that has never produced a necromancer are those crazy kobolds.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

But...how...elves have no reason to become obsessed with their own mortality. They don't have mortality to become obsessed with.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:01 am »

Currently, necromancer entities do the following;

-Form master-apprentice relationships, allowing towers to reproduce (so founding new sites, check).
-Launch raids against neighbouring sites (while under the player's control), presumably to eliminate local threats or just to accumulate corpses for their armies of tower-building labourers.
-Take over towns if they can't find enough zombies to build a tower.

Essentially, the only things differentiating necromancers from a civilization is the inability to trade with them and their lack of formal political positions/large scale worldgen wars against civs. Trading is not really something I can see happening with necromancers, but allowing a master of a certain number of apprentices to declare themselves Overlord over the towers constructed by their underlings and fight worldgen wars against established civs would be cool.

A better tie-in would be to just gradually dissolve the differences between civs and groups. If a group spawns multiple subordinate groups that get associated with their own sites  has effectively become a civilization. I envision a scheme where all groups are associated in tributary relationships, with the name of the dominant group being the name for the overall civ. This could gradually be expanded to allow groups to secede (potentially including the player, who could then have new groups form tributary relationships with them...), new civs to be formed dynamically from bandits (or adventurer entities?) taking over sites, groups trading masters as a result of wars, dynamic civil wars as groups with enough tributaries revolt against their tributary masters, etc.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »

But...how...elves have no reason to become obsessed with their own mortality. They don't have mortality to become obsessed with.

Neither do goblins. 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

tbh, I dont remember exactly how.

Ill post the relevant raws, but they aren't special; just a few of my own modifications.  This is still 34.11 Im talking about, but I see no reason for it not to apply to 40.

Spoiler: entity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: elf creature (click to show/hide)

I do know they dont found any towers, but they recieve the training, though they dont ever seem as numerous as the other 'mortal' races.

Ill check my own posts, I know it was a thing I talked to the forum about.

---

I did lie.  I have, on very rare occasions, seen goblin towers, after I allowed them to build them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:09:02 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Merkator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 04:08:36 pm »

Maybe just add something like "Families" of towers.
For example if on start of the game they are more then one tower, the every one of them can be from different family.

Then necros from different families could faith with each other over power and territory. That could stop the whole necro-invasion in worldgen.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 04:37:34 pm »

Maybe just add something like "Families" of towers.
For example if on start of the game they are more then one tower, the every one of them can be from different family.

Then necros from different families could faith with each other over power and territory. That could stop the whole necro-invasion in worldgen.

That could be done simply by seperating the necromancer civ-level government from the tower-level government. 

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:33 am »

This is not World of Warcraft. The undead are mindless slaves to their necromancer master and as such are completely useless for anything other than attacking people.
The Necromancers themselves apparently have some kind of teacher<->apprentice thing going on, so any kind of necromancer "civilization" would be more like a loose cooperation between towers.

During world generation, necromancers who have a sufficient following may use their undead minions to build dark towers, a task that requires at least 50 followers; younger necromancers may take over towns or camps instead. The building of a tower is carried out by the original necromancer of a group (the one who was given the slab) as apprentices join the group after the tower is built. Therefore each necromancy group has one tower.

Therefore showing that undead seem to be able to be commanded by their necromancers in anyway, assuming anyway. So far in the game we don't seem to be able to do much more than raise them and herd them towards a delicious meat sac potential victim, however.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]