Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Rubble 6.16 - DF 40.24 - Final 40.x Rubble version.  (Read 61445 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Rubble 6.16 - DF 40.24 - Final 40.x Rubble version.
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »

Rubble: Modding Made Easy!

====================================================
= Overview:

Rubble is a general purpose mod installer and creation tool. Mod installation is done with an easy to use HTML GUI or a basic CLI front end. Mod creation is facilitated by a powerful template and scripting system that allows automation of many common modding tasks.

Users of Rubble can install many unrelated mods (called "addons") simply by selecting them in the web UI and generating (which takes only a few seconds). Addons are designed to install quickly and cleanly with a minimum of effort on the part of the user (using Rubble is comparable in difficulty to using the Masterwork settings program).

Rubble is specifically designed to make it easy to have several worlds with radically different settings playable at the same time. You can even have things like per-world population cap settings (via the `User/DFHack/Pop Cap` addon) or switching tilesets on worlds in progress (perfect for trying that new tileset you found or changing the tileset of a world you got from a buddy). Tileset switching even works on worlds who's raws were not generated by Rubble!

For modders Rubble automates many common tasks allowing you to create mods in a small fraction of the time using standard methods would take, plus users of your mod can use it together with many other addons, making your mod *much* more user friendly.

If you have ever used a utility like Blast, know that Rubble is a lot like that but *much* more flexible and mature.

Rubble has been in continuous development since mid 2013, and many changes and improvements have been made since the first version (which was a simple Blast clone). All of my mods have been made to use it, so I have extensive experience with Rubble modding and along the way fixed most of the bugs and streamlined things as much as possible both for modders and users.

For modders Rubble cuts down repetition and encourages compatibility, for users it gives easy flexibility and simple customization. In short Rubble is the most powerful and easiest to use modding utility and mod manager ever made for Dwarf Fortress. Enjoy!

= Where to Find Help:

All documentation is in the "other" directory of the download, this includes tutorials, template documentation, script documentation, and basic documentation of Rubble's internals. Addon documentation (for users) is accessed from the web UI, just click on any addon name, anywhere addons are listed.

If you want to view the documentation as it was designed to be viewed start the web UI (`rubble_web`) and visit the "Rubble Documentation" page.

General users have no need to read *anything* except the readme! Everything most users need to know (aside from things like how to install Rubble, which can be found in the readme (or here for that matter)) can be found in the web UI addon description pages.

The readme has a comprehensive list of what is most important for the beginning Rubble modder to read (and in what order!).

= Install:

If you have anything in your Dwarf Fortress directory that you want to keep back it up! Rubble will delete all your existing raw files, including creature graphics and the DFHack "onLoad.init" and "init.lua" files (and many other things)!

Anything outside of your "data/init" and "raw" directories should be safe, but just in case...

1. Delete or otherwise remove any old Rubble version you may have.
2. Extract the new Rubble to "<DF Directory>/rubble".
3. Install any custom addons you may have to "<DF Directory>/rubble/addons".
4. See the appropriate "Running Rubble" section in the readme.

Now you are good to go!

DO NOT extract a new Rubble version over an old one! This can cause all sorts of hard to find problems!

If you use OSX or Linux, 32 bit binaries for these OSes are included. If you want 64 bit binaries you can compile them yourself, source code is in "other/src" (along with basic build instructions).

To use non-Windows binaries they must be placed in the same directory as the Windows ones (you can delete the Windows binaries if you don't need them). OSX binaries are in "other/darwin_386", Linux binaries may be found in "other/linux_386".

For more help see the "Rubble OS Specific Information" section in "Rubble Basics" (included in the download).

Download (At DFFD)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:21:54 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 4.0 - Now on DF 40.3!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:50:23 pm »

Rubble Changes (last version only)

6.15 (For DF 40.24)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few minor changes this time, nothing critical.

The biggest change is that the web UI no longer uses a browser startup script on Windows, instead it
uses the Windows `ShellExecute` API to start your default web browser. The browser startup script is
still used on other platforms (as Linux has no similar API and I have no idea what OSX uses).

Engine Changes:

* The web UI now uses `ShellExecuteA` to start your web browser on Windows. Other platforms still use
  the old browser startup script system.
* The web UI can now load and display markdown documentation from addons. Basically if you try to load
  `/doc/Example/File` it will try to find `rubble:other/Example/File.md` and if that does not exist
  `addons:dir:Example/File.md` or `addons:zip:Example/File.md` will be loaded.
* Added a new type of addon: Doc packs are basically a way to encapsulate extra documentation or other
  files that will be listed on the Rubble documentation list page. These "addons" are not really addons,
  they do not show on the addon list page.
   * This functionality is controlled by a new addon.meta key: docpack, if set to true makes an addon
     into a doc pack.
   * See [Rubble Basics][RB7] for details.

Addon and Standard Library Changes:

* Fixed three bugs in `addon:Libs/DFHack/Item Syndrome`, syndromes should now be properly removed when
  the item is, the script no longer spams errors during plant gathering, and the syndrome reset policy
  should be properly set now.
* Added the ability to add permanent syndromes with `addon:Libs/DFHack/Item Syndrome` (syndromes that
  are not removed with the item).
* The DFHack script loader function `rubble.require` will now fail over to trying to load nonexistent
  pseudo modules with `dfhack.script_environment`, and if *that* fails it tries the native `require`
  function. This allows you to use `rubble.require` in all cases, no matter what style of module you
  are trying to load.
* Fixed a bug in `addon:Libs/DFHack/Melt Item`, using the module functions works now.
   * This effects item melting with the `addon:User/DFHack/Powered/Smelter` addon, but not the
     `addon:User/DFHack/Melt Item` addon.

Other Changes:

* None
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:10:45 am by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:07:58 pm »

Reserved
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:41:15 pm by milo christiansen »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »

Exciting, I've been looking into these sorts of things as I'm starting to get into modding more so, will be nice to dig into it now with the new version out.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »

Take a look at the old addon packs if you want more examples, they all use Raptor instead of Rex for scripting, but the two languages are close enough that it should be east to figure out any differences.

If you find something in the documentation that is not clear then just ask, it may take a while for me to reply but I will do so sooner or later :)

EDIT: The old addon packs are all in threads marked [RUBBLE] in the mods subforum, the last one is 2-3 pages in last time I checked, but a search should find them all. (a forum search for "[RUBBLE]" got the addon packs as results 4-6)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:26:55 pm by milo christiansen »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »

When I start the gui, I get this error:
---------------------------
Error
Rubble GUI failed to find your saves directory, please fix the gui.ini file and try again.
OK   
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:12:52 pm »

Then why dont you fix the gui.ini file? :D

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »

Any hopes of a Linux GUI version?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:12:29 pm »

How do I fix it?
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:45:18 pm »

you know what would make this tool really popular really quick?

A simplified/standardized materials for leather, animals, skin, etc that is basically what's applied to accelerated mod (the idea was actually pulled from accelerated/mw mod I believe), but for df 40.xx.

Along with a little instructional, or maybe a batch file.

People would be crawling all over themselves for that.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:00 pm »

A simplified/standardized materials for leather, animals, skin, etc that is basically what's applied to accelerated mod (the idea was actually pulled from accelerated/mw mod I believe), but for df 40.xx.

Also a way to quickly add moddable fixes in Modest Mod, modules and patches in your default addons.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:50 pm »

It was in:
Quote from: Changelog
   Removed the "Shared Animal Mats" addon, as it is too fragile for inclusion with Rubble.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 05:11:52 pm »

I may rethink the generic animal mats addon, It worked ok for some things, but was too fragile. A quick rewrite would fix that :)
(so, coming soon? maybe next version.)

Anyway I am about to upload 4.1, which still uses 40.3 (but should be easy to use with 40.5, provided you make the reqired raw changes) The only addon that is at all version specific is the "Base" addon, the others are all fine. (A 40.5 base will come with Rubble 4.2)

Most of the changes this time are new addon (most of which come from the old Better Dorfs addon pack).

EDIT:
About a Linux GUI: I won't make one as I do not have a programing environment set up for any language that can make a GUI that will run on Linux, sorry.
If you are getting errors starting the GUI on windows either 1) you did not install Rubble as directed or 2) you messed up your gui.ini file. If you did not install Rubble to "<path to df>/rubble" then you will need to edit the gui.ini file with the proper paths (the key names should be fairly clear). There is a tutorial in the "other/How To Rubble.txt" file that covers some of this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:21:41 pm by milo christiansen »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 4.1 - Still on DF 40.3 (but with way more addons)!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

It looks like some of the DFHack stuff may not work after all. I will not be able to tell for sure untill a 40.x DFHack is avalible, but some changes are to be expected. I plan to keep any changes restricted to the backend, but one can never tell what will be needed.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 4.2 - Now on DF 40.5 (plus a few more addons)!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »

OK 4.2 is up!

DF 40.5 is now supported, plus I added a few new addons:
"User/Generic Animal Mats" is a simple addon that makes all animal materials generic, it works fine as far as I could tell but I didn't test it extensively.
"User/Cat Damper" removes some of the most annoying tags from cats.
"User/Fix/Human Diplomats" adds trade reps and diplomats to the humans.
Also the DFHack stuff received some tweaking.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11