Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Rubble 6.16 - DF 40.24 - Final 40.x Rubble version.  (Read 62076 times)

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
Re: Rubble 5.7 - Still on DF 40.18 (Wonderful, wonderful tileset support)!
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »

Did I mention I am in the middle of writing yet another scripting language? Well I am, and if it works well it will be used by Rubble in the near future.
Good news!  I like a lot language development.
We have already 4 stacked languages in most of ours full featured Rubble addons:
  • dwarf fortress declarative raws
  • lua
  • rubble commands
  • rex scripts

First is the basic mod system offered by the game (well not so basic), lua is used by dfhack system to enable more advanced modding possibilities than the raws.

Rubble uses addons and some well known use cases (patterns) to reconstruct some raws from base rubble raws and the user selected addons, Rubble commands are wonderfull for what they do but they are limited...

Rex try to give a more general solution to those shortcommings, it does it very well and is far from slow.

Each new iteration of the Rubble addon system gives us one better and more flexible system for modding Dwarf Fortress.

Keep the good work! it is appreciated even if not everyone that try using it is able to climb the harsh learning curve ;-)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:37:18 am by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 5.7 - Still on DF 40.18 (Wonderful, wonderful tileset support)!
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 05:00:32 pm »

Glad you are enthused, because now that I have started porting all those scripts my enthusiasm has gone down a good bit :)
"pre6.A" will be up soon (as a preview for developers), but it will come with only minimal addons (for now). For the time being 5.x will still be the main Rubble version.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On that note 5.8 will be up in a few short seconds!
5.8 will likely be replaced by 5.9 sometime in the next few days, so don't get too attached.

5.8 has the markdown addon descriptions, some new "fix" addons, and a few other nice bits.

(Good news! I have gone to my grandparents for Christmas, and they have internet!, so for the next few days I will be available for more-or-less timely bugfixes and responses to questions!)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 5.7 - Still on DF 40.19 (New "fix" addons)!
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2014, 12:59:15 am »

Looks like there where no raw changed from 40.19 to 40.22, so 5.9 may not be available soon after all (as it's not needed just yet).

I'll go update the first post to reflect the fact that 5.8 works fine for 40.22

BTW: Does anyone know where I can find a program that will convert markdown to BBCode? All the ones I could find only handle a subset of the markdown syntax (and the missing parts are invariably things I need).
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 5.8 - Now on DF 40.22 (New "fix" addons)!
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2014, 04:03:10 am »

When 5.9 does come along it will have tile mapping for the Spacefox tileset!

I tried to do the update with the laptop, but the keyboard is so bad that I quickly got fed up with it, so everyone will have to wait until I get home (unless I discover a truly critical bug).
In related news porting "Libs/Base" is about half done for pre6.A, so that will be up at about the same time as 5.9 :)

EDIT: And maybe Obsidian and Mayday too! We will see...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:21:57 am by milo christiansen »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2014, 10:14:08 pm »

I head for home tomorrow, so expect an update soon (in a week or so)!

5.9 is unlikely to have many new features, but pre6.A should be available at the same time.
pre6.A will be very minimal, but once I get the core addons ported it won't take long before 6.0 is ready :)

I will miss constant internet, but being able to use a real key board and mouse with a computer that can actually get stuff done in a reasonable amount of time will be wonderful!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2014, 11:07:55 am »

Hey, just a question: are the powered buildings based on the Machina script from Masterwork Gnomes?

I was thinking of doing a major rewrite of that code, but if you've done it already I might as well base the new version off of yours.  I took a short look at the script and it seems completely different at first glance, but the end result looks similar.  Haven't figured out how to run Rubble itself to check though.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »

Very loosely, as in I stole some concepts and rewrote them from scratch :)

Basically the whole system works off two things:
The lua files in "User/DFHack/Powered" provide APIs designed to play well with the building-hacks plugin (which is less flexible than your system, but easier to use)
Several Rubble templates that create buildings and reactions (these are entirely optional)

Most of the Lua APIs focus on finding and outputting items, with several flavors of generic item finders and some generic item creation functions.
Basically the system has four "tiers":
Lib A is dealing with buildings, pass in a building and you can get a coord object for it, an "area" object that describes an area including the building and all adjacent tiles, also finding and handling input and output "workshops" is handled here.

Lib B deals with items. There are functions to output items (to an output or to the center of the workshop), create items (described in various ways), and find items (either on an input or in a workshop's "area").

Lib C deals with "persistent output settings". This one requires explanation. First simple buildings can only do one task (as I have them written), to change the output type you run a reaction that uses a different Rubble addon to switch the building type (this is what those templates are for, generating the building variations and the switch type reactions), this lib is for handling all the buildings that have more than 2 or 3 possible outputs. Basically it provides a nice workshop oriented layer over the persistence API (so you can just say "get me the setting for this building" without needing to worry about keeping track of them (it uses a magic name combined with a string version of the buildings coordinates)). Really the building switching thin is only because I was feeling lazy and didn't want to write a persistence API, then I ended up having to do so anyway, so that way is kinda obsolete.

Lib D deals with "switchable" buildings, basically a generic way to do the same thing as your logic gates, but it also supports levers! Functions to find and change the state of these buildings are included.

There is no reason why you couldn't use these APIs with a different powered workshop plugin, just strip out the registration helper functions in Lib A :) The only assumption made about the workshops is what the coordinate fields are named (and there are even functions to make "fake workshops" from different forms of coordinates for when the workshop is not available!).

One big difference from machina is how inputs and outputs are handled, they may be anywhere adjacent to the workshop, including diagonally! This adds flexibility, but can create cases where item go where they are not wanted :p The addon description for the "User/DFHack/Powered" addon has information about this.

===============================================================

Rubble 5.9 is now up! This version is very minor, bringing almost no changes ().

In much more interesting news: Rubble pre6.A is on DFFD!
Only 32 bit windows binaries are included, most of the documentation is missing, only half of the source code is included, and only a very few addons are included.

There is some good news though. Some of the included addons are tileset mappings for Spacefox, Mayday, and Obsidian! (I was too lazy to back-port these to 5.9. Making a 6.x tileset addon is so much easier it's not even funny)

If you need to build Linux or OSX versions the missing source code can be found in the Rubble 5.9 package.

Expect a fully functional 6.0 sometime soon!

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 5.9 - Now on DF 40.23 (Getting ready to go to 6.0)!
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:34 pm »

(anyone know of a good markdown to BBCode converter? The only ones I can find produce terrible output.)
I know UristMcTeelox had one he used. Even had automated Github wiki-to-forum post conversion. It's probably in the old masterwork studded with patches thread.
Edit: I think this is it, no idea how well it works.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:27:38 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 5.9 - Now on DF 40.23 (Getting ready to go to 6.0)!
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:23 pm »

As for markdown converters, I will probably just go with a custom server that can be a little more full service (addon meta-data or example). I just need to do a little work first...

5.10 will be up shortly.
This version has several bug fixes, but no real changes.

pre6.B on the other hand...
This version should be fully usable, all addons are included and generation testing was done, but no in-game testing.
A few more tweaks and some in-game testing and 6.0 will be ready!
Download on DFFD

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.0 - Now on DF 40.24 (Easier than ever)!
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2015, 05:45:34 pm »

6.0 is now up!

I fixed several bugs and made some radical changes to the way DFHack scripts are handled (things are much simpler now).

Also I am abandoning the big complicated first post and going with a simplified version of the most important parts of the readme. If you want to read the more detailed stuff it's all in the download.

My documentation server idea is still being worked on, and hopefully it works out, but don't hold your breath it could be a while...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.0 - Now on DF 40.24 (Easier than ever)!
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2015, 06:09:44 pm »

I just suddenly remembered a whole class of files that Rubble has been ignoring: the speech files in the data directory.
Expect some system for handling them to make an appearance at some point...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.1 - Still on DF 40.24 (Better file tag support)!
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2015, 04:32:18 pm »

6.1 is up!

I won't write change log summaries anymore because I now include a summary in the change log, see the second post.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.1 - Still on DF 40.24 (Better file tag support)!
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2015, 11:50:23 am »

No update this time :(

I finally got a set of working SDL bindings for my favorite programming language, so I am working on a few other projects using that. I am not abandoning Rubble (far from it!), but non-critical updates will be MUCH slower for a while. I will try to keep up with with DF versions like always, but expect more patches and less all-up updates.

Of course any bugs that get found still have top priority :)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.2 - Still on DF 40.24 (Loads of random updates)!
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2015, 01:41:03 pm »

6.2 is up!

This version is (despite my warnings to the contrary) huge. Or maybe I should say HUGE!!

I decided to take a short break from my other project and play DF for a bit, one thing lead to another...
Next thing I knew I had half the powered workshop addons torn apart being reworked and half a dozen new addons needing testing.

Only one major engine change was made, everything else in that long changelog entry is addon changes, so lots of new content for all!

Go read the second post for details.

H995

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.2 - Still on DF 40.24 (Loads of random updates)!
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2015, 01:51:48 am »

I was looking at the addons and I saw that on the "User/Fix/Vermin Variations" you make use of [CV_CONVERT_TAG] to change the life span of the giant animals, like:
Code: [Select]
[CV_CONVERT_TAG]
[CVCT_MASTER:MAXAGE]
[CVCT_TARGET:2]
[CVCT_REPLACEMENT:10]
[CV_CONVERT_TAG]
[CVCT_MASTER:MAXAGE]
[CVCT_TARGET:1]
[CVCT_REPLACEMENT:10]

Isn't it affected by this bug?

Also, where can I find more info about scripting? Things like what does expr [tag 0] does?
On the Rhino Basics doc you said that reading the command and package documentation would be a good idea but I couldn’t find it.

edit - already found the script docs.

Thanks for creating this tool, I'm learning how to mod DF and this is going to be a great help, if I succeed on climbing the steep learning curve, of course.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:27:08 pm by H995 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11