Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Rubble 6.16 - DF 40.24 - Final 40.x Rubble version.  (Read 61434 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.14 - Still on DF 40.24 (Worlds largest collection of mini-mods)!
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2015, 12:38:20 pm »

I gather you figured it out on your own? If not ask again (preferably after reading the readme, aka "other/Rubble Readme.md") and I will be happy to help.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »

I found it out. this is interesting. thank you.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »

Have fun!
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2015, 09:09:17 pm »

My apologies if this is an offensive question, but how does this compare to PyDwarf? At a glance, you seem to be doing similar things; I wish I knew more about coding to better understand with the glance before I try and learn all the things, but I don't, hence the question.
The silver is responsible for this How?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2015, 10:43:48 am »

Rubble is more user friendly :)

Rubble uses custom syntax where needed, so it is tailored to work with raws. Where Rubble breaks down is when you need to do something low level (eg, there is not a ready made template, which is getting pretty rare nowdays), as then you need to use a odd-ball custom scripting language that nobody but me really knows :p

On the other hand Rubble has an easy to use HTML user interface that helps non-modders install Rubble mods with minimal headache (for example it has documentation built in, just click an addon name and you are presented with a page of detailed information about that addon).

In PyDwarf everything is done with Python, so it is very flexible at the cost of being more complicated. Also from what I know it's author lives under the misconception that everyone thinks using the command prompt is "easy", it is, but most people don't seem to think so :p

If you don't know Python Rubble is definitely the easier choice.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2015, 09:02:19 am »

Can i use this to view all the raws/tokens/X used for generating descriptions? I want to make a database of all the combinations.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2015, 11:14:07 am »

Can i use this to view all the raws/tokens/X used for generating descriptions? I want to make a database of all the combinations.

Um, what? Descriptions for what?

Rubble is for combining specially formatted raws, with a large side helping of generating raws. It is not for viewing or editing raws, use a text editor for that.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2015, 11:08:41 am »

What the heck? 1,802 downloads of version 6.14? What happened? The last biggest download count was ~40!

Anyway, time to start a new entry in the statistics, because 6.15 is up!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Rubble 6.15 - Still on DF 40.24 (World's largest collection of mini-mods)!
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2015, 11:23:26 am »

Just a heads up: I am working on another scripting language. This one has a more conventional syntax than the "R" family languages I have been using in Rubble up to now, and if it proves to have decent performance (comparable to what I have now), it will replace Rhino in the future (eg in Rubble 7, which is a ways off yet).

In a similar vein I am replacing my DFHack script loader with a new one in the next Rubble version. The new loader is simpler than the old one, but it works better in some ways. The API will not have any major changes.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2015, 05:29:29 pm »

Is there any way to add entity positions without replacing the whole file?

EDIT: I think I found it. It's the ENTITY_ADD_NOBLE thing, right?
EDIT2: It's not working. It compiles just fine, but then the new noble doesn't show up in the entity def.
EDIT3: Apparently, that template is broken. It doesn't work with the default succession noble addon either.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:30:33 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:26 pm »

EDIT3: Apparently, that template is broken. It doesn't work with the default succession noble addon either.

Hmm... It worked when I tested it, I must have broken something. I'll check it out. It should be fixed in 6.16 (coming soon!)

I am working on Rubble 7 now (which I plan to have ready for the next DF version), and the big focus for that is scripting. I am working on decoupling scripting from the Rubble core so multiple languages can be supported at once. In related news Rubble 7 will (probably) support Lua! This is great news because Lua is also used by DFHack, so DFHack scripters will be able to use a language they are already comfortable with when working with Rubble.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:55 am »

Rubble 6.16 is up!

The main change is a new DFHack script loader. This one is better in some ways than the old one, but at the cost of less control. Most scripts should work without changes, but some may need minor tweaks.

@palu: This fixes your bug, the template was fine, but I made a typo in the entity file so anything that tried to change MOUNTAIN failed.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2015, 11:26:50 am »

My apologies if this is an offensive question, but how does this compare to PyDwarf? At a glance, you seem to be doing similar things; I wish I knew more about coding to better understand with the glance before I try and learn all the things, but I don't, hence the question.

Well I'm late to the party.

Rubble is more user friendly :)

I'd say this is the biggest difference: I think mine is the more user-friendly. Really it's just a matter of personal opinion. When I looked into Rubble I felt the syntax was confusing and too unconventional. So I did more or less the same thing, but using Python. Which, besides the flexibility, it generally is considered to be one of the easier programming languages for a newbie to learn.

Maybe Rubble is easier to learn for someone who's used to writing raws, and PyDwarf is easier for someone who's used to writing code.

Also from what I know it's author lives under the misconception that everyone thinks using the command prompt is "easy", it is, but most people don't seem to think so :p

Pft, if you can learn to play Dwarf Fortress then you can work out how to use command prompt. It's not even close to hard.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2015, 06:49:17 pm »

Both of them suffer from them being too complicated for end users, though.
If you can figure out how to use Rubble or PyDwarf effectively, you can figure out how to read the raws and just manually merge the mods you want anyway.
Rubble has a slight advantage there, but it's kinda rendered moot by the fact that literally nobody other than milo has actually released a Rubble mod...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:50:49 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

And at the other end of the spectrum is my mods tab in the PyLNP, held back only by the fact that it doesn't work very well on most mods!  I really should get around to making a fork with the PyDwarf mods tools built in...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11