Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vaults,  (Read 11209 times)

blazing glory

Re: Vaults,
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:57 am »

...you can jump over campfires now?

holy shit this changes everything

Also, if you're feeling bored with the ol' sane way of entering castles, you can climb the wall on one side, jump over the battlements, jump over one the other side again, then jump off the wall (more ballsy option) or just climb down.

I thought you couldn't climb block walls?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 03:27:58 am »

...you can jump over campfires now?

holy shit this changes everything

Also, if you're feeling bored with the ol' sane way of entering castles, you can climb the wall on one side, jump over the battlements, jump over one the other side again, then jump off the wall (more ballsy option) or just climb down.

it's you can't climb fortifications which while blocks player movement don't act like walls.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

You can't climb smooth stone walls.  Goblin watch towers are somehow magically thrust up out of the native stone, so you can't climb them. 

I *think* I saw some slade block constructions inside a spire at a goblin site (pillars, maybe?) but I am pretty sure those structures are made of solid smooth slade for the most part.

Necro towers are built entirely from blocks, hence can be climbed.  Same with most (all?) human structures.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 07:24:58 pm »

Aside from cheating or random luck, there's no in-game way to find a vault.  When the book system is a little more robust we might have more options, maybe some ancient tomes hidden in tombs or locked away in the royal library, but there's certainly no living people who remember.

I exported a detailed map with structures displayed, and noticed a few medium-grey pixels here and there.  I suspect these are the locations in question, but they can be a little hard to find.  I wonder if there is a way to search for them in GIMP or something like this?

Baring that, I suspect the spoilered method above is probably best. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »

I exported a detailed map with structures displayed, and noticed a few medium-grey pixels here and there.  I suspect these are the locations in question, but they can be a little hard to find.  I wonder if there is a way to search for them in GIMP or something like this?

Baring that, I suspect the spoilered method above is probably best.
Medium-grey pixels appear to be tower structures, with the two I found alone in the wilderness being necromancer towers.

Edit: Used the XML dump method, tracked it down. It did also appear as a lone grey dot, but it was well-hidden next to a river.

The structure colour key text file refers to mid-grey structures as 'castle' type.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:40:37 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »

Has anyone entered a Vault when they were a worshiper of the god who owned it?  Are the guardians friendly?

I genned a few small worlds until I got one where three of the four vaults were sponsored by gods from the same human Civ, and two of them were even the same god.

Randomized my background until I started as a follower of that god, and set out.

I was passing near a goblin capital on my way to one of the vaults, and thought I'd stop by on the off chance the 'Master' there was friendly, being that I worshiped the god that helped it enter the world.

Guess what?  It wasn't.  Now I get to start over.

Still curious if anyone has tried this with the Vault guardians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 02:17:45 pm »

I believe I have been to a few vaults where the god/dess was the same as the one that I worshipped, the guardians there were still hostile.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:23 pm »

I generated a world that has seven out of ten vaults made by the same god!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »

Oo. 

seed and parameters?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 08:47:17 pm »

Thanks!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 11:28:04 pm »

You can't climb smooth stone walls.  Goblin watch towers are somehow magically thrust up out of the native stone, so you can't climb them. 

I *think* I saw some slade block constructions inside a spire at a goblin site (pillars, maybe?) but I am pretty sure those structures are made of solid smooth slade for the most part.

Necro towers are built entirely from blocks, hence can be climbed.  Same with most (all?) human structures.

Rough walls are easy to climb and you can swing through trees and scale mountains with even a little skill. 
Block Walls are very difficult to climb and even a legendary climber has a very high risk of falling off when attempting a climb check. You can however grab a wall and climb on top of it without really making a check.
Smooth Walls are impossible to climb. You can't even attempt to grasp them.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 01:32:17 am »

Rough walls are easy to climb and you can swing through trees and scale mountains with even a little skill. 
Block Walls are very difficult to climb and even a legendary climber has a very high risk of falling off when attempting a climb check. You can however grab a wall and climb on top of it without really making a check.
Smooth Walls are impossible to climb. You can't even attempt to grasp them.

Before current version I had no problems with climbing into wells, taking items from the bottom and climbing back repeatedly. But now I can climb inside, and fall when climbing down. And then cannot climb out. One z-level - no problem, two - rarely successful, three - never. I have to use dfhack to get out. Maybe it's the material the wall are made of (silt, sand etc.) but I can climb one or two levels of such materials, which means that they are possible to climb. Just impossibly hard.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 10:53:37 am »

I have no problems climbing block walls with legendary climbing skill.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 11:16:50 am »

I generated a world that has seven out of ten vaults made by the same god!

Wow this world is big.  I have been sticking to small worlds, so this may be something of an undertaking.  Also with the large size and number of disconnected islands, I'm dubious that all 7 vaults will be reachable.

Well, time to find out.  Arkur Rockclouts, ardent worshipper of Thram Roardemon, is setting forth.

edit:  pitty I was not randomly generated large enough to one-hand the multigrasp weapons.  Cant have it all, I guess.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:18:35 am by puke »
Pages: 1 [2] 3