Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead are on par if with HFS in difficulty to kill, if not harder.  (Read 2192 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile

Undead from towers are:
super-human strong.
Only die to beheading, bisections, or pulping chest/head.
Near immune to pricing attacks.
have no pain
Can come with armor/weapons
Dont path into the fortress, and just stay above ground (this makes traps like atom smashers and bridge fall traps near useless as they wont path onto them.)
don't leave once the seige is lifted, and the seige will lift before they're all dead, so they can kill migrants and caravans.
Can one shot a dwarf in full steel armor with their bare hands (haven't tested in adamantine)
Necros can also raise your fallen combat dwarfs and give them all of the above.
All but blunt weapons are effective against undead, and crossbows are near useless.

I've tested danger rooms and a full squad of legendary dwarves can kill a seige of undead if they're lucky. As of right now the only way i've found that is a viable way to kill undead is to purge the entire surface world with lava. I don't think there is any possible way to kill undead effectively in mass numbers in the current version without exploiting, or lava (and even then exploits aren't 100% going to work.)

I've used many of the tactics above to kill clowns, and they worked, but as of right now undead are harder to deal with than clowns. if Clowns are the circus, then undead are the carnival, and they show up at your fort to say hi whenever they want, as early as they want.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:37:57 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Undead are on par if with HFS in difficulty to kill, if not harder.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:05:19 am »

hm... I thought pulping was supossed to be the main way to beat them? So Hammer dwarves with silver maces ought to be the best defence?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:44:14 am »

The HFS, particularly the inorganic ones with flesh melting deadly dust, are far nastier than any undead. I've seen a single clown take out entire squads of weapon lords.

Having said this, the undead rank among some of the most powerful foes you can face in the game now, and although inorganic clowns with syndromes are much more dangerous enemies, the fact that zombies can show up very early in the game makes them VERY scary. The giant animal zombies are truly beasts to be reckoned with and should be considered on the same tier as a mega beast like a bronze colossus.

Thankfully, reanimation is not nearly as OP as it used to be or reanimating biomes and necromancers would be next to invincible.

I think a big part of the problem is that dwarves won't use their weapons for the majority of their attacks. For a dwarf to actually really do some damage they have to get in a rare hit with their weapon where as any of the zombies natural attacks are highly effective. The dwarfs fist and feet simply are not. The buggy combat behavior heavily favors any combatant that has powerful natural attacks.

I think once the buggy combat is fixed we will have a better idea of how unbalanced undead are in this version. From what I have seen, although necromancers can show up at any time, their forces tend to scale to the size of your fort. For instance you will only get like 2 or 3 undead showing up if they attack in that first year. This may just be my own experience, but it seems like less undead are showing up at a time during necro sieges in this version? Has anyone else noticed this?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:54:16 am by Melting Sky »

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:40:12 am »

Yeah I'm going to wait until the fixed combat until I can call the undead hard to kill in fortress mode, in adventurer mode there's been no problem with them.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:14:02 pm »

Seconded. I've had to resort to using long-fall traps and minecart shotguns loaded with maces and hammers to stop them, since militiadwarves won't use their weapons enough and the undead can smash them unarmed for reasons OP mentioned.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:53:13 pm »

Ah, yes. The undead have notoriously low cost of living, and have been known to keep running their businesses despite not a single sale being made for decades.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »

This may just be my own experience, but it seems like less undead are showing up at a time during necro sieges in this version? Has anyone else noticed this?
I haven't much messed with undead in this version, but in the last one I got a siege of around two hundred in the first year.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »

This may just be my own experience, but it seems like less undead are showing up at a time during necro sieges in this version? Has anyone else noticed this?
I haven't much messed with undead in this version, but in the last one I got a siege of around two hundred in the first year.

Yeah in the last version you could get absolutely huge undead sieges. I haven't seen nor heard of that happening in the new version. Has anyone been hit with one of those old school 100+ zombie sieges in the new version?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 11:51:37 pm »

Ah, yes. The undead have notoriously low cost of living, and have been known to keep running their businesses despite not a single sale being made for decades.

Damn, you stole my joke.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 11:52:43 pm »

Damn, you stole my joke.

[Insert joke about General Motors here.]