Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]  (Read 2068 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2024, 04:51:50 pm »

I've heard of a disappearing mound king before on discord but didn't realize it was so common, in fact with a bit of testing it seems like it happens every time. I've not noticed it in the bug thread from a quick check, I guess I'll do a post there, sad for your demon boys leadership I guess.

Praying for more dead elves, maybe you can join the giants.
Sounds like a feature, if only the mound king didn't require those valuable death gems.  Oh well, there must be Mound somewhere with too many kings.

From reading the bug thread on the steam forums, I think someone mentioned this happening to their Freak Lord pretender as well. It's not a huge deal, but couriering items is one my main uses for Mound Kings and I think not being able to retreat pushes them over the edge of not being worth the effort. Banes were likely going to be summoned anyway as a cheaper (gold-wise) replacement for Demon Generals.

Turn 20

It's way, way overdue, but we've finally pinned Tir na n'Og's raid down. With just a tiny remnant of their army left, I have the utmost confidence that UwU will be able to take care of this in short order (and maybe finally do something about those freaking wolves). Hmm?

Spoiler: Oh no (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oh *no* (click to show/hide)

In the numerous little battles until now Tir na n'Og did not cast any magic at all with the commander leading the invasion, lulling me into a false sense of security. I saw that this Mary Sue "I'm just great at everything" of a national hero had been equipped with only a smidgen of nature and glamour gems, which led me to write them off as a mage (no elementals, you see), but perhaps that Air 2 should have given me more to think about.

Items granting shock resistance are going to be a standard component of our Dai Oni equipment, but it's been too early to justify crafting it (the best we could do is a Ring of Tamed Lightning, but there are better sources of shock resistance later and for now I need the scarce air gems for crafting quills). UwU is thus left completely naked against these armor-negating lightning bolts, and the "stun" effect massively cuts down on their ability to clear the chaff (only getting one or two attacks in before getting stunned by the next lightning bolt, and often hitting the mirror images of the enemy units).

Spoiler: A shocking development (click to show/hide)

Amazingly, despite spending most of their time stunlocked UwU succeeds in killing or scaring off the enemy units surrounding them prior to entering spirit form (the blow lethal to their corporeal form is actually an "armor defeating" arrow to the head) leaving nothing standing between them and the Tir na n'Og Original Character Do Not Steal.

Spoiler: A duel! (click to show/hide)

However, at this point my money's actually on the elf being dangerously likely to win in melee (given their 8 mirror images, the very powerful point-blank spell "Shocking Grasp" existing, and UwU's lack of huge amounts of HP in ghost form to soak up the damage). Some heavenly inspiration penetrates UwU's now slightly-thinner skull (possibly me cursing at the screen for them to GTFO while they still can) and they conclude that prudence is indeed the better part of valor:

Safely returned to the land of the living in nearby Baccar, we can now plan the next attack.

UwU did at least finally kill the last of the invading army's units, leaving just this one solitary mage/priest/sailor/crafter/general/engineer/scout to deal with (plus the province defense, which is annoyingly a major factor here for once given the debilitating air magic). The sane thing would have been for this commander to sail or sneak away long ago, but the AI's insanity has shown itself to be an advantage all its own. That said, I doubt the mage will be able to defeat a mob of province defense on its own; my bet is we need to be prepared for them just sitting in the province this turn, which demands we send everything in to finally end this farce:

Spoiler: Everything (click to show/hide)

Following the panic of seeing our invincible champion get barbecued, this "everything" of ours somehow feels like it's simultaneously "not much" and "too much". OwO should engage the province defense immediately from the center, the goblins will screen the prophet on one flank while the remnants of our original bandits will screen the other, and ideally this will leave UwU without distractions from hunting down the mage (this time with at least a paltry +5 shock resistance from their one self-cast). The goblins only count for ~50% of the army's total HP (assuming we can include commander HP in this), so if they all die I don't think we will pass the threshold to automatically retreat. We lucked into our prophet getting "Valor" as their heroic trait, giving the goblins decent enough morale (Baka's also sporting a thematic Holy Scourge he picked up off an undead mage, though I'd really rather he get some sort of shield instead).

This mishap was an opportunity to see a Dai Oni in their deathday suit, confirming that the patch to Dom6 worked and they now do indeed keep their equipment slots while in spirit form. Interestingly, they even get ghostly versions of their default throwing weapons now. Throwing weapons (especially after having died once) are pretty useless on a Dai Oni or Oni Shugo, but I'll be interested to see if our other non-commander Oni use them (I'm also curious if armored Oni keep their default armor in spirit form as well now):

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2024, 02:21:57 am »

I'm downright amazed UwU survived that.
...you do realize that Lowly Original Hero is the Demon Slayer, right?

He's basically the first Buffy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]