Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Solium Infernum PBEM - Game Finished  (Read 22740 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solium Infernum PBEM - Five players in, room for one more!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »

Urk. This game has fast turns - I mean preparing, not processing - right? There's no reason I couldn't commit to this even as my borderline-overcommitment in Dominions games is bleeding my soul out through my nose. If you still want a sixth, I'll join.

I have a feeling that - much like Dominions - this will play very differently in MP than it does in SP. I played this a lot when it came out, and large portions of it felt entirely unnecessary for SP, but I could see their potential value against people.

And yes, Cryptic Comet games have always struck me as painfully slow processing affairs owing to the amount of overhead in the programer's dev environment of choice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:45:07 pm by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 04:42:17 pm »

You can only issue up to 6 distinct orders in a given turn (and getting up to that many seems like a mean feat in a normal length game) + responding to various diplomatic events, so I'd say it goes pretty quick. It's certainly less work than micromanaging a vast dominions empire.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 05:01:32 pm »

O.K., I think I'm more or less getting reaquainted with this game. I'm ready to start when you are.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 05:44:41 pm »

As Karlito said, pretty much everything in this game takes an order slot. Want to collect resources? An order. Want to move a legion? Order. Want to buy anything from the Bazaar? An order for every individual item. Want to commit a diplomatic action? Order. Want to cast a ritual? Order. etc etc.

You start with two order slots. There's a max of six. Four of the five core skills in the game give an extra slot if you reach high enough level in them. To do that takes significant resources over a long period of game time. You can start with three slots if you opt for a heavily specialized build. Even so, 3-4 order slots seems like a fairly doable for most builds over the course of a normal length game. I reckon 5-6 would require significant gimmickery and sacrifices for questionable gain in anything but the longest of games.

Design wise, Dominions seems to have little checks in place to prevent massive bloat as the game progresses. By contrast Solium Infernum severely limits your amount of actions (but luckily not choices). I'm sure there's going to be a bit more stuff to consider as people level up their fiends and hatch plots, but that doesn't really translate into excessive mechanical drudgery à la hours upon hours of army scripting Dominions does.

That's a full six then. Do you guys all feel like you can get comfortable with the game and create suitable avatars by friday? Earlier is fine, but I'd like to get started by friday at the latest so if we get some early technical problems we can still be playing by sunday.

I also need everyone to PM me their email address so I can send out the turn files once I gen them.

PBEM how-to for players:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I tried to condense the PBEM related bits from the manual by cutting off the host bits. Let me know if I botched up somewhere.

I'll see about getting the game genned in the next few days. I'll use settings mentioned in the OP and a map type of "Lake of Fire", assuming no one objects to any of them.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: Solium Infernum PBEM - Full Game
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 06:14:31 pm »

You can go for a 1-order-slot start, too, if you're really slothful. Possibly not a recommended build. :P

I'll write up a character (GASP!) tomorrow. Maybe I'll just go for some historical personage-turned-satan. Some pope, perhaps?
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 06:23:43 pm »

I guess I'm ready. Kicking the AI's collective butts, but that probably doesn't translate to much in a real game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »

I'm ready too. More re-acquainting with the computer will just awaken bad habits and nurture unrealistic expectations.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39:50 pm »

Ready whenever.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:17:11 am »

I've found my avatar, and sadly, it's not original content. It's this fellow. He's ready to play.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:28:26 am by lijacote »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 03:39:11 am »

I just need one more email and I can send out the first set of files. It will probably be about 12 hours.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »

Everyone should now have an email from me. Subject "Bay12Game" and attached to it should be a .inv file with your respective forum nickname.

Info on how to proceed is found in the SI manual and from the opening post of this thread in the PBEM spoiler.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solium Infernum PBEM - Files in the ether
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »

So, uh, why are we playing with rectification but not with census? I'm honestly asking, as I'm not much aware of what these expansions do.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »

The census isn't a content option, it's an option for each player to gain one prestige every ten turns for each canton they control. The Rectification IIRC has actual content to it!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 03:05:22 pm »

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »

It's worth noting that there's always a census right before the game ends, and I believe there's a playable Census event that does the same thing.

Rectification is a general content expansion with UI improvements and bugfixes, so there's no real reason not to use it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12