Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 241656 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 1: Baked Cake Taken!
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2014, 10:12:54 am »

I just want people to be aware I expect them not to willfully let obvious mislynches happen.

The miller discussion was the most game-relevant thing to happen so far. I questioned Tiruin until it became clear she was most likely telling the truth. Do you think I should have accepted it at face value.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:38 am »

Yup, definitely got out of camping. whew.
flabort: Why do you use intricate methods of analogy in questions to certain people? Is it a shift of viewpoint or is there something up with your wording there?
I can't say I'm entirely sure what you mean. Could you point out where I used analogy (besides Jack, and it's more reaction test than analogy there)?
Honestly analogy seems to be second nature to me (If I remember what analogy means correctly). I likened restless leg syndrome to a mouse running on a guitar neck for the doctors, and they asked me to stop describing before they get it the visual metaphor was so complete.

So when you say shift of viewpoint, I'm completely confused by that.
Flabort
Varee If you were to pick a different role, knowing the alignment you would be, than the one you picked, what role would you pick for your repick?
Hmm interesting question. I would say I will be going with scooby doo. yeah...... weird question with a weirder answer?
No, nothing weird about your answer at all. I mean, my question is quite random, but it is/was RVS, which implies random.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2014, 11:00:57 am »

Yup, definitely got out of camping. whew.
But camping is the best...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2014, 11:05:20 am »

My eyes are still bugging me, so I'm still skimming a bit (especially walls of text) so if I miss anything, I apologize.  Just point it out to me and I should be better tonight.

Flabort:
Toaster You get the same question Shakerag asked me. If you were offered the choice between arsonist or random role, which would you pick?

Arsonist.  I've always wanted to be one, and it's a hilarious asshole role.  The thought of getting a "Kill everyone" button really appeals to me.

Are any of the questions you asked advice on how to play your own role?

I got permission to stay! I won't be absent at all it turns out.  :D
Toaster Yeah it's a lot of post-atos. I bet that it's a lot to come to if you weren't there the whole time.

Not near as bad as I thought, though I'm only up to your post so far.

Have you been reading this thread?

Also, yeah, camping is awesome.

NQT:
Do you know what my role is yet?

William Shatner?

Do you think not being able to read the posts will affect your scum hunting?

It's a temporary thing (more at the end of the post; I should point it out) but no, not long term.

THE PACIFIC OCEAN
Tsunami (one-shot) - blah blah

Considering Tiruin lives in an area where Pacific tsunamis are a legitimate concern, I'd say that was the inappropriate one.

Cheeetar:
Everybody, do you think a claimed miller lynch would be the best choice on Day 1, in the absence of any strong scumtells, or would a more random vote work better?

If we don't have anything better D1, then we weren't trying enough.  Lynching a first post miller claimant is essentially a random lynch.  Hell, I'd rather lynch the person who proposed it.

I think claiming miller prior to being investigated is more suspicious than claiming miller post being investigated.

Malarkey.

You honestly wouldn't call bullshit on someone claiming miller in response to a guilty inspect?  I sure would.

Varee:
whoever feel like they have time to give opinion: What do you think is lying too much. Is saying your internet broke down to avoid answering question?

In this board, you occasionally see the policy lynch of "Lynch all Liars" come up.  Does that answer your question?  (In more specific terms, I'd say the example you posted is less of a scum move and more of an asshole move; we try to respect IRL issues here and lying about them makes it harder to do that.)

V/LA:  I'm having LASIK on the 15th.  It'll limit my ability to stare at a computer screen for a week or so, but not so much that I won't be able to play.  That day and the following weekend I'll surely be out, but the next week I'll be here; just less than usual.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2014, 11:14:13 am »

Warning - while you were reading 80 new replies have been posted. I think I win?

Persus responds to other people's posts. Part 1 of ??: Posts #94-145

Scripten:
Wasn't meant to be a bandwagon, but we're all rushing to post right out of the gate.
Good answer.

NQT
Persus, why aren't you bandwagoning Tiruin?
Because I'm busy doing other stuff, and Tiruin tends to get mad when suddenly attacked from all sides for no apparent reason.

Nerjin:
Hello America. This is your President, Nerjin, presiding. I think it's time for us to have a little chat, if you don't mind. But before I ask questions of you, a concerned citizen has written to me with regards to a question they have.

Nerjin: How do BYORs differ compared to regular Mafia?

Oh quite the rapscallion we have here folks. Ha ha, let's answer that. One could consider a BYOR to be America. Strong. Proud. Unpredictable in composition. As opposed to some less countries which are our stand ins for regular mafia. Weak. Pathetic. Predictable. That is not to say that a regular mafia game isn't good. It's just that a BYOR is the best.
Wow, Are you going to do this all game?

Shakerag:
Are you being genuinely serious about calling bandwagoning already?  :-/
No, I don't think I've played with Scripten before so I did that to see how he would deal with pressure.

Tiruin:
Tiruin:  Why are you using that damn tiny text?  Are you trying to hide something?  Obviously you must be fake-miller-claiming scum then.
Also I do it everywhere on the forum.
Yes, I know.  And I seethe every time I see it.  Note that I didn't say 'read it', because I can't.
Zoom in on it, that's what I always do.

Flabort:
Persus13 Let's say you picked the Death Note for your role, and your a SK. You can kill someone each night, but you can choose for their death to come later, and you can set post restrictions on them. How do you best utilize this power? Let's say your one-shot is to switch roles with some-one, too. How do you best use that to your advantage?
I wouldn't pick Death Note as a role. I'm also not going to give advice on how best to use your role. Besides, I've never played with post restrictions.

NQT:
AörbannF re TQN. Nägev lilt aidjm nim dit.
:'( I thought you were Canadian.
Google translate is coming up with Estonian, but if I turn it around (because TQN is obviously backwards), it's Icelandic. Neither way comes up with a result.  ??? I don't know WHAT Persus is saying there at all. Good thing he's not addressing it to me, then.
You'd probably be able to recognize that I had reversed the first and last letters if I hadn't translated what I was saying into Swedish.

Tiruin:
NQT:
AörbannF re TQN. Nägev lilt aidjm nim dit.
:'( I thought you were Canadian.
I am, sortof. I also can use Google Translate.

4maskwolf:
Do that again, and I will vote you for wasting everyone's time. That was NOT neccesary and you shouldn't have done it. You are obviously intelligent enough to trim the post into something resembling coherent, so I expect you to do so in the future. It wasn't cute. It wasn't funny. It was a waste of time and space. If you're going to make a wall of text, do it because you have something to say. Not because... Whyever you did it.
You know the number of shits I give about people threatening me with votes?  Zero.  You heard me right.  Zero.  Go ahead, use your vote for no other reason than you hate my posting style.  All it would serve to do is prove that you don't particularly care about your vote, that you don't see it as a valuable weapon for you.  Which is not a good thing, mind you.
4maskwolf, quoting a small wall of text for no reason is bad forum etiquette, especially as you can't go back and edit it. This game already has and will have plenty of extremely long posts. Adding to it does not help. It is unhelpful to the game in general. Responding to someone's comment about it being unhelpful by being even more unhelpful and threatening doesn't help either.

Cheetar:
Everybody, do you think a claimed miller lynch would be the best choice on Day 1, in the absence of any strong scumtells, or would a more random vote work better?
No. Discouraging people from claiming miller is a terrible idea, and that's what a D1 miller policy lynch would do. If you're a town miller, claiming first post D1 prevents a wasted inspect from an alignment cop, which would almost certainly result in the lynch of a town player and the reveal of an important town role to scum, likely causing said investigator to be killed in the night or repeatedly blocked, preventing them from being useful. A town player claiming D1 prevents this from happening. If scum fakeclaim miller in their first post, it causes them to start fakeclaiming as early as possible, which means that they have to be consistent with that the whole game. Fakeclaims tend to be problematic over time, so the earlier scum makes one, the better it is for town. Secondly, claiming miller always gets a lot of attention and pressure, which is always good, especially when the person claiming miller is scum because scum generally want to avoid attention. I'm pretty sure that if we have an role cop of some form, they will be inspecting Tiruin tonight to see whether her claim holds up. The fact that an alignment cop is useless on miller doesn't really matter as much as you think because scumhunting should remain the primary method of finding scum, and there are other roles besides alignment cops that can be used to find scum.

If you were a town miller, what would you do?

Webadict:
Just an FYI, posting coded messages is considered cheating. We're not here to play the long con on cryptography. I don't want hash function roleclaims, because those claims tend to end in modkills.
All I did was say something along the lines of "Curse you NQT: Why did you waste my time?" but you've made your point.

Can we get a votecount?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:42 am »

4maskwolf: You have twothree votes on you.  Now how does that make you feel?
Cheeetar: Why do you believe that preemptive measures are a scumtell?
Flabort: Why in all flavor of damnation did you avoid camping?
Imp: What do you believe is the best survivor strategy?
IronyOwl: If you were a watcher, what types of powers would you want in order to accomplish your wincon.
Jack A T: Do you think Wuba's interpretation of your role is awesome?  Good?  Perfectly fine?  Poor? Dismal?
Jiokuy: If you were a serial killer without a reliable kill, how would you go about playing the game?
Nerjin: Why are you so irritable?
notquitethere: How is your spreadsheet going?
Persus13: You have replaced in numerous times for various people in mafia games.  Do you believe there is anything good about replacing in that you wouldn't get by starting in the game?
Scripten: Including this one, how many mafia games have you played/are playing in?
Shakerag: I haven't really played with you all that much.  What is your favorite part of Wuba's BYORs.
Silthuri: You've been around about as long as I have, right?  What is your favorite game of mafia you have played in so far?
Tiruin: What do you believe is the biggest scumtell on day one?  Does the biggest scumtell change as the days progress?
Toaster: What in particular appeals to you about the arsonist?
TolyK: Are you happy with your role?  Did it live up to your expectations?
Varee: Do you think that being the newest player here (I think) will impede your play in any way?  If so, how?
PPE:
4maskwolf:
Do that again, and I will vote you for wasting everyone's time. That was NOT neccesary and you shouldn't have done it. You are obviously intelligent enough to trim the post into something resembling coherent, so I expect you to do so in the future. It wasn't cute. It wasn't funny. It was a waste of time and space. If you're going to make a wall of text, do it because you have something to say. Not because... Whyever you did it.
You know the number of shits I give about people threatening me with votes?  Zero.  You heard me right.  Zero.  Go ahead, use your vote for no other reason than you hate my posting style.  All it would serve to do is prove that you don't particularly care about your vote, that you don't see it as a valuable weapon for you.  Which is not a good thing, mind you.
4maskwolf, quoting a small wall of text for no reason is bad forum etiquette, especially as you can't go back and edit it. This game already has and will have plenty of extremely long posts. Adding to it does not help. It is unhelpful to the game in general. Responding to someone's comment about it being unhelpful by being even more unhelpful and threatening doesn't help either.
I was not threatening him, but thank you for demonstrating how little you care about your vote usage.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:28 am »

TolyK: Are you happy with your role?  Did it live up to your expectations?
Role is good. I'd prefer a more haywire one, but I'll have to think with this one at least. :P
Yep, Wuba roles are Wuba-quality.

Also, are you a schizophrenic?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:10 am »

Me?

As in me, or my role?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2014, 11:33:23 am »

Flabort:
Toaster You get the same question Shakerag asked me. If you were offered the choice between arsonist or random role, which would you pick?

Arsonist.  I've always wanted to be one, and it's a hilarious asshole role.  The thought of getting a "Kill everyone" button really appeals to me.

Are any of the questions you asked advice on how to play your own role?

I got permission to stay! I won't be absent at all it turns out.  :D
Toaster Yeah it's a lot of post-atos. I bet that it's a lot to come to if you weren't there the whole time.

Not near as bad as I thought, though I'm only up to your post so far.

Have you been reading this thread?

Also, yeah, camping is awesome.
1)Interesting.
2)Maybe a couple spud-tions are.
3)That's not very far. Or do you mean a different post than the one I'm thinking?
4) I remember reading the opening post of that, but no.
5)Canoe Camping is an awful experience that I wish I'd never gone through. The only time camping is any fun, is when there's about 300+ campers, and a small group of them are your friends who you rarely ever see in person. This is not that trip, that trip was a few weeks ago.

Persus I didn't pick that as my role, nor do I have a kill or post-ato restriction. Answering the question would not tell me how to play my role. I understand that you would not pick that role, though; let's say it was a bring someone else's role and you got it, then.

Swedish?! Man that's tricky.

PPE: 4mask Sleeping on rocks. Insects. Bears are a risk at the target site. Lack of internet. Wearing dirty clothes. Cousins running around playing a made-up game that's basically lacrosse but instead of a net on the stick it's a hole in the ball. WATER EVERYWHERE, I hate being on, in, or near rivers or lakes. The noises at night. Camp food, dehydrated foods. Trees (Durkon from OotS). Lack of proper climate control making sleeping harder. Not having a sturdy roof if it rains. Not having a proper lightning rod to protect you if it storms. A small wind being enough to topple your temporary home. Packing up to go, having only a small selection of your clothes available. Being separated from your pets. Having to filter your water. THE LIST GOES ON.
The Cyan Menace

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2014, 11:34:12 am »

Me?

As in me, or my role?
You addressed yourself. It was more or less a joke. :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2014, 11:37:15 am »

Me?

As in me, or my role?
Then why didn't you ask me that? :P
The Cyan Menace

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2014, 11:37:33 am »

Me?

As in me, or my role?
ahem.

Quote from: wikipedia
Despite the origin of the term from the Greek roots skhizein ("to split") and phrēn ("mind"), schizophrenia does not imply a "split personality", or "multiple personality disorder"—a condition with which it is often confused in public perception.
And no, I'm not schizophrenic.  Just a horrible person.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 08, 2014, 11:48:05 am »

Sorry to both of you, then. :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2014, 12:48:29 pm »

Jack A T Mario is Busing Bowser. How does Princess Peach, who is Tiruin, react? As a Toad, how do you react?
flabort: Sorry, I'm having trouble finding that stuff right now.  Cannot answer.

Is there [size=18]anyone else[/size] who is unsure how their role fits in with the idea they sent?
Jack A T: Do you think Wuba's interpretation of your role is awesome?  Good?  Perfectly fine?  Poor? Dismal?
NQT and 4maskwolf: I shall answer these questions together.
My role is quite loosely tied to what I sent in, but generally unified by a common theme.  My general flavour, which is weakly tied to the thing I sent in, tells me what my role was basically built around.  One of my powers does not fit my general flavour, and is barely tied to the thing I sent in, but at least in flavour it fits the wider field my general flavour puts me in.

Basically, Wuba's interpretation of what I sent in is a bit odd, and doesn't fully fit together, but I can sort of see how he came to make it like that.

so whoever feel like they have time to give opinion: What do you think is lying too much. Is saying your internet broke down to avoid answering question?
Varee: Unless there is a good reason (paranoid gun owner fun, reaction testing...), lying is considered to be a rather strong scumtell.  Even with good reasons, it rarely looks good.  Claiming RL issues you don't have is in poor taste.

Is your miller power one of those dependent on the number of players?  What did Webadict say about you being a miller?  Please tell us everything you're comfortable telling us about your milleriness.
This, and other posts asking for information about Tiruin's role beyond that of being a miller- still scummy, even if you ask timidly.
Cheeetar: I'll take it you don't much like my efforts to gain clarifications of an unclear miller claim, even with them done in a way that allows Tiruin to withhold sensitive information without conflict?

4maskwolf: Out of all of Cheeetar's lynch push, this is what you latch on to?  The bit where he shows cluelessness about how the game works?  Please explain how this specific part of Cheeetar's argument indicates scumhood.
It's called a random vote.  I was prying for more specifics on why Cheeetar believed that claiming miller after an investigation was a null tell but claiming before was a scumtell.  I believe the exact opposite: claiming miller day one is a good idea in games.  I see it as a null tell: I'll still lynch them if they act suspicious, but I won't put their lynch before anyone else's.
4maskwolf: Alright.  I tend to expect votes with reasons to be non-random, but it is early enough in the day that I can accept the vote as RVS-type stuff.  Unvote.

Persus13: Alright, I understand that you haven't read a significant part of the thread, and thus are unaware of the votes already on 4maskwolf and of his use of an iPod to play.  However, this is still an astoundingly lazy vote.  You're largely repeating Nerjin's complaint about 4mask not cutting his quotes enough, and your addition (that his response to Nerjin's threats was unhelpful) does little to make voting for 4mask a good idea.

Please explain, in detail, how 4maskwolf's poor etiquette in posting a longer post than necessary and how 4mask's response to Nerjin threatening to vote him for poor etiquette indicate scumhood.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:30 pm »

NQT:
Toaster
NQT:  What does the unpredictable nature of a BYOR do to your analytical hunting style?
Ask me this again on Day 3. I have an answer but if I tell you now, scum might change their behaviour accordingly.

Forgot to explicitly respond to this, but fair enough.

4mask:
Toaster: What in particular appeals to you about the arsonist?

1) The surprise factor.  Short of a rolecop, there's really no warning that it's coming.
2) The hilarity factor.
3) This.

Flabort:  3) I had only read up to the post you asked me that as of the time I typed the answer.  All caught up now, and it still wasn't too bad.
4)  Ah.  Potatoes are heavily involved later.
5)  It's not really camping if there are 300+ people.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 123