Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 241639 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 1: Baked Cake Taken!
« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »

Nerjin, was your vice president a cake?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »

This is, I realise, making the assumption that an alignment cop's investigation returns the victory condition. If they're just told it's a third party... I'd say they should probably still claim on it if there are no real leads, but it's less of a sure thing than a scum result.
I think it does. Reading the opening post Webadict specifically spells out thirteen alignments, including a number of third-party ones with names for each. I think the result of an investigation probably says the name of such.

What is your opinion on Lyncher? Seeing as I was one in Jack's Simple BYOR, and that was using the alignment list of Wuba's, I think I can say I know what I'd do if I found one, but how would you react to a lyncher?

Nerjin Is your role that of a specific President? Which President? Who is the Vice President?

My role is me. I am your President as I have no doubt mentioned before. As for which President? As I've said before it is a matter of national security. I cannot divulge the information. As for my Vice President? Well I'm afraid he is no longer with us.
Right. I propose the theory that if Nerjin does indeed have a post restriction, which I'm doubting but think it's possible, then anything that is a "matter of national security" is something he can't talk about.
That said, aw... that's sad. Poor Mr. Vice President.
But how can we trust our faithful president if he won't even show his true face? He speaks on camera but hides himself behind a mask, and filters out his voice. We hear him, but he has no identity. How can we trust that?

@flabort Even though I live in a country (in)famous in Europe for being potatostan, I do not know any varieties of potatoes, not do I think anyone else knows) Why are you so after potatoes? Looking for the Irish?)
Nope, not looking for anyone in particular. Well, maybe someone who I can trust, and looking for scum, but I'm not hunting the Irish, no.
It's just that I have so many potatoes. Enough to feed... I dunno, lots of people for a long time.
As for how many varieties there are, it's a lot. Off the top of my own head, I can think of Fingerlings, Yukon Gold, Red Russet, and... OK, I can only think of three, but there are lots. Oh, and yams. It's important to have some sweet among the starch.

notquitethere If you were a self-doctor, would you always doctor yourself? What situations would you protect someone else in?
I'd pretty much protect myself every time unless I had compelling reason to believe a confirmed town player was going to be night killed. For instance, if a cop claimed and that claim got scum lynched that day, the following night I'd protect the cop instead of myself. Curious as all this, do you think this answer would have been different if I'd have been mafia or 3rd party?
Come to think of it, no it wouldn't have been.
Thinking of questions that would yield different answers is hard, especially since it comes off looking like role-fishing most of the time. Granted, a lot of the time it is role-fishing.
This is why I'm fascinated and frustrated with the Bay12 standard of asking questions instead of shooting blindly from the hip. It does make the game more balanced, but it's difficult to actually be effective. Even harder to blend in and not be noticed, too.
Speaking of which, do you ever try not to be noticed? When?

I seem to have done that thing where I chip through posts bit at a time, then get to the end and not really want to go back through the whole thing looking for questions and things of note. Oops.

flabort:
IronyOwl What kinds of common scum strategies (such as bussing or fake-cop) are you most expecting to see? Least expecting to see?
Most? Late-game fakeclaims. Least? Early-game fakeclaims. In a game this big and power-heavy, everything is likely to go to hell for everyone, which makes intricate scum plans even riskier and more difficult to pull off than normal.

Also lurking/active lurking. A game this big is just asking for scum to coast by.
Hmm. That's probably what piqued Jack's radar, since I think that's what I was doing too.

I see. When you say intricate, does that imply a risk to the plan? Or does this risk only come about from this game being so "big and power heavy"?

So then what is your response to inactivity? What do you define as active lurking as opposed to lurking? What is lurking as opposed to inactivity?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2014, 07:56:48 pm »

Varee:
so whoever feel like they have time to give opinion: What do you think is lying too much. Is saying your internet broke down to avoid answering question?
How much lying were you intending to do this game?

Well I was planning to keep it to minimal and people answer to that question kinda make that seem like a good plan.

Varee Who do you most suspect of having the ability to kill someone? Do you suspect those players of being scum?
I have a feeling that alot of player will have one shot kill. thoses are not likely scum but it can just be as bad.

[/size]
[/size]
[size=78%]Varee, who is the most suspicious player in the game right now?
I dont see anything "suspicious" as of yet. the miller debate is informative but dosent really tell much. Will just have to wait and see i guess
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »

This is, I realise, making the assumption that an alignment cop's investigation returns the victory condition. If they're just told it's a third party... I'd say they should probably still claim on it if there are no real leads, but it's less of a sure thing than a scum result.
I think it does. Reading the opening post Webadict specifically spells out thirteen alignments, including a number of third-party ones with names for each. I think the result of an investigation probably says the name of such.
You'd be wrong. Normal inspects only return Town, Mafia, or Third Party. Special inspections can return varying results depending, but a normal inspects only returns three results.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »

*puts on the voice of Dr. House*
A normal inspect you say? But this is a Bring Your Own Role, wouldn't that imply that most roles are, by their very nature, not normal? That a normal role is abnormal?
*Dr. Forman Voice*
That's ridiculous. Each role is composed of multiple parts, some of them have to be-
*House*
You'd be right, if it weren't for the symptoms already present in the other patients. Some very unusual roles, wouldn't you agree?
*Dr. Chase*
I think this is it. House has officially gone insane. Flabort too.
*Dr. Forman*
Start them both on regular therapy and remedial lessons on mafia.
The Cyan Menace

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »

Alright, caught up a bit. Need a bit of time before I can get into the thick of things. For now, though, Unvote Tiruin.

Scripten:
Imp, Cheetar, & Shakerag: I haven't played or seen a game of mafia in which you've taken part, but you seem to be a regular around these parts. What's your strong suite; day or night game?
Why don't you go back and read games that I've been in and formulate your own opinion, then?
How does one have a strong night game anyway?  All you do is send in an action (or not).

Missed this one way back.

How does one have a strong night game? Well, so far as I've seen it, you often have players who are especially good at figuring out who is the best target of their abilities. Supernatural games seem to have a lot of night play, for example. A strong day game would be a mostly vanilla town in a standard mafia game. I'm most comfortable with my day game right now, but I'd like to get better with night-time actions and roles that use them better. I've seen games won by town power roles, so a strong night game is pretty important, I think.

Scripten How do you best make use of a multiple voting role?

And this one.

Honestly, I've never had this come up. I'd probably be fairly conservative with it. I'd either only use it on confirmed scum or in a situation where idle players are risking a town win.

So, thoughts thus far:

- Cheetar pushed an early lynch pretty hard, then backpedaled when confronted. Not a strong tell, but it caught my eye.
- Nerjin's reaction to 4mask's one post was reactionary to the point where it didn't feel genuine. Might have been, but I'm not sure.
- Tiruin almost seems to be pleading not to be investigated. While I understand this wastes a night if she's town and a miller, it seems... far too blatant to be wholly truthful. She does eventually become flustered, which I've seen before and is a bit of a town tell for her. (Also, condolences for the crappy past few days there, Tiruin.)
- Varee is, as I've seen before, a little hard to read. Null tell on him, but I want to see more of him. Day 2 will probably help with that.
- Toaster and TolyK have been quiet and unreadable. Legit reasons for Toaster, but TolyK makes me suspicious. He feels... off, maybe evasive, and certainly loathe to use his vote.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2014, 03:34:14 am »

Toly
And so why aren't you voting anyone you might think is scum?
Precisely because shooting from the hip. I don't have any good picks yet.

Yes, Scripten, I'm always cautious on using my vote.
Pfp
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:28 am »

notquitethere:
Imp, is this going to be one of those games where you post right at the end of each day?
Dunno yet.  Our day end comes during worktime for me, so if work's slow it could happen.  When work's busy definitely won't happen.

Jack A T:
Imp: Alright.  You designed your answer to Varee to best influence him based on impressions you got from his post.  Do you continue to get these impressions from Varee?
No.  I now think he asked
so whoever feel like they have time to give opinion: What do you think is lying too much. Is saying your internet broke down to avoid answering question?
expecting to get the obvious answer, not because he was seriously asking about something he was unsure of for himself and deciding about.

Jack, your list of reads includes only 15 players, is your impression of Shakerag utterly null?

Flabort:
OK. Let me clarify.
These specific potatoes are among the creepiest things on the internet.
.... http://trollpasta.wikia.com/wiki/File:Scary-potato.jpg  All I can think of in response to that.
I'd forgot I had that vote on him. And I guess he's been thoroughly corrected on how a miller works, so I guess there's no reason to leave it on him.
I think the likelyhood of him being scum is a bit higher than average, a slight lean in that direction.

Do you tend to forget about what you are doing with your vote?

Would you explain a bit more about how Cheeetar's being 'thoroughly corrected on how a miller works' makes you 'guess there's no reason to leave [your vote] on him', despite immediately following that comment with the statement that you think Cheeetar is more likely than average to be scum?  If he had not been corrected, would that be reason to continue to vote for him?

Imp What do you think of Nerjin's Role-tato Play? Is it too over the top?
Nerjin started this RP early.  Pre-game, even, he inned with it.
Hello my fellow Americins. This is your presidint, Nerjin. Signin off.
I think Nerjin is a formulaic player; every game I've seen him in he has taken 'something' and pushed it pretty far.  This is the first time I've seen direct RP be the 'something' for his play.  Just the RP by itself, it's amusing and 'nice' to me; I actually enjoy it more than I do your potato puns, but I'm partial to effort and I don't mind reading; Nerjin's working a bit to make those posts.

Outside of style and RP, I'd like him to do more scumhunting and I'd like his RP (since he's using it and only it) to more clearly state his stances (other than being president, that's pretty clear).  But it is early game, and it is Nerjin.  I participated heavily in an early mislynch of Nerjin my second Mafia game (we were both Town, Supernatural 6). I'm hoping this game I can better pick 'alignment' from 'strengths and weaknesses of the player'.  That can be really hard to do, we'll see.

So for me it's not too over the top, but I hope to see him -do- more, period, with or without the RP as he pleases.  Do more scumhunting, especially.

Varee, the content of your posts is raising my hackles.  I may be misunderstanding you, and it wouldn't be the first time this game, but here's what I think I'm seeing.

Here you answer two questions about your suspicions in a way that makes it clear you have none; you even outright state
I dont see anything "suspicious" as of yet....Will just have to wait and see i guess
you also answer IronyOwl's challenge in a way that seems appeasing.  You say your plan to minimally lie is good, despite claiming
I dont know the threshold of lying in this forum yet.
because of the way people answered your "question with one clearly correct answer" which makes that seem 'like a good plan'.  You're actively trying, not to scum hunt - you don't even have any suspicions, you're not chasing to find any - you're actively trying to fit in and be liked.  You're trying to answer IronyOwl's question in a way that makes you look good.

Even in asking this question...
I dont know the threshold of lying in this forum yet. I think it is not so bad to fake noob as you are most likly to pull it off once and in that byor it was close to the end so i decide to do it.

...it's intended to be rhetorical.  It's all part of trying to fit in for you.

You make repeated statements...
First thing is i need to sort though this 6 page of stuff that pop up when i sleep and 6 more when i return home..... then maybe i can start forming some question....
It is more of the go to bed and woke up to 4-5 new pages of stuff in the morning. Just the sheer amount of people in this game is giving me head ache. I have a feeling i wont be able to read every single post.
I personally not a conversation heavy guy. It might be the style i play before which is pretty much speed mafia. Also my limited interaction of posting like one or twice a day also impose a limit on my ability to use conversation effectively.
...but we've known we had 17 players in this game since July 27th. 

You can do a great job as a player posting just once a day - one content-filled interactive post a day is perfectly adequate.  But you need to post content; you need to do what you can to scumhunt, to discuss and interact.  Not 'just respond', but -interact-.  If you cannot track all 16 other players, then you track the 5 or 9 or 13 that you can, and shift your focus over time as you get a feel for the people you interact with.

You need to form opinions, you need to do what you need to do to attempt to sort us faceless people into probable baddies and goodies.  We know we have baddies among us.  The only thing we don't know is who they are.  That's what we're supposed to be trying to figure out.  Only you're not trying at all yet that I can see.  You don't look like you're trying find Scum.  You look like you're trying to fit in, and you even say you're not suspicious of anyone.

You know who tries to fit in, and who doesn't have any suspicions?  Scum.

They know who the bad guys are.  And they just want to fit in.  You look the scummiest here to me.

Are you interested in finding scum, and willing to put some work into it; into getting some interaction going with people, and trying to get a feel for who -you- do find more and less suspicious?  Cause you don't even look like you are trying to do that, at all.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2014, 10:41:40 am »

Well, while I'm waiting on Jiokuy to show signs of life...

4maskwolf: Do you think the most likely outcome of Day 1 is your lynch, given that you seem fairly resigned and 3 votes are on you? (3 of the 9 necessary is not that much, mind.)
If so: Do you have anything to say that will aid town upon your flip? Any suspicions we can reliably trust if you flip town or uninvolved third party?
If not: Who do you think is acting scummy- would you like to put your vote and scumhunting abilities to use?
eh.  I don't really think the odds of me being lynched are all that high, seeing as how I think I have two votes on me right now.

My scum pick right now is Nerjin, for threatening to vote me out of irritation over a single post.  While I can understand his frustration, threatening a vote over a minor nuisance like that is beyond what I would expect from someone.

Now it's time to read what happened this weekend.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:25 am »

snip
So it is bad to not vote people, not trying to ask question? It doesnt mean I dont care it is just that i dont know what to ask you guys. Most people put out like 15 null read and a few other read so i dont think am the only one without any specific target yet. Just because I complain about a lot of thing to read doesnt mean I wont read it. So Imp what do you really want me to do ? ask people more random question? or dig up more discussion about miller claim ?
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 11, 2014, 11:31:42 am »

Imp: Nope, not that potato. Though you're getting closer. I did grab my role from a wiki.
Yeah, I tend to think I've voted at the start when I haven't, and tend to forget who I've voted for. Which is why I pay close attention to when vote-counts are posted, usually.
My case on Cheeetar was entirely based on his misinterpretation of Miller, and how dense he was being over the matter. Now that he's changed his mind, I don't have a case. I still suspect him with my gut, but have no case whatsoever to vote him over.
I agree with you opinion that Nerjin's posts should contain more content per RP. I'm sad that you don't enjoy puntatos, but they are my own version of RP.
And that's a good answer. Unvote

Varee I wouldn't say it's bad not to vote, as long as you eventually do; by this point in the day, most players should have voted someone once, but don't necessarily have had to if they've been scum-hunting well. It's the not-asking-questions part that bugs me. I think you should try even if you just ask nonsense.

4mask I think that OMGUS is almost just as bad as the reason Nerjin voted you. It seems petty to me.
The Cyan Menace

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:39 am »

flabort, why are you giving your role name away to people (slowly but surely)?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2014, 11:34:16 am »

4mask I think that OMGUS is almost just as bad as the reason Nerjin voted you. It seems petty to me.
My only current lead is Nerjin's seeming uncaring nature towards where or why his vote is wielded.  As such, I will vote following that.

Nerjin: rationale behind threatening the vote and voting me, if you wouldn't mind.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:53 am »

Huh.  I figured the post count would have blown up over the weekend given how the game started.  Meatier content later after I do more of the workstuffs.

flabort:
Shakerag When is the appropriate time to be angry at a player? Should you post on Mafia while angry?
When is the appropriate time?  Whenever someone does something boneheaded. 
Should you post angry?  I don't see why not.  Sometimes that raw emotion can help persuade others.  Of course, it can be easier to make mistakes when posting angry as well.  So I suppose that's a bit of a double-edged sword. 

Unvote

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:32 am »

flabort, why are you giving your role name away to people (slowly but surely)?
Because it's fun.

flabort:
Shakerag When is the appropriate time to be angry at a player? Should you post on Mafia while angry?
When is the appropriate time?  Whenever someone does something boneheaded. 
Should you post angry?  I don't see why not.  Sometimes that raw emotion can help persuade others.  Of course, it can be easier to make mistakes when posting angry as well.  So I suppose that's a bit of a double-edged sword. 
I see. So when looking for mistakes, one should examine angry posts first?
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 123