Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 241805 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 2: Not Today
« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2014, 03:18:18 pm »

*NQT, aside from the Tiruin scuffle, has largely contributed in a way that could easily be replaced by an NQTbot that occasionally pops up to tell us to stop voting for an active player and vote for an inactive one.  Which feels wrong, considering that would be, in most circumstances, just a bad caricature of him.  He gives me the feel of someone coasting through the game, not engaging with the cases he opposes and not making cases against the people he says he wants to lynch.  He seems to be, to put it simply, not quite here.
This is exactly the case. I've been overwhelmed with a lot of other things. Now CYOM2 has ended, I'm going to give this more focus, starting with tonight... I've survived until Day 2 which means *rolls up sleeves in real life* time for some analysis.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »

TolyK:
flabort, why are you giving your role name away to people (slowly but surely)?

This is the sum total of your vote history.  Beyond that, I can't really find you pursuing targets with any real interest.  Who do you suspect now and why?  Does your suspicion of Flabort still hold?
I currently don't suspect anyone but Flabort, but I haven't read everything yet. I just said that.

I do think I know who isn't scum.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:56 pm »

Can we get a votecount Wuba?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »

Scripten:
I'm certainly suspicious of Cheetar, but Flabort shows himself to be much more scummy by this play in my book. I suppose you could say I agree with Cheetar, but only on a superficial level.

Huh.

Ok, so you are coming up with the same answer as Cheeetar, but for different reasons then, thus only 'superficially agreeing' with Cheeetar?

Please explain your reasons.

Cheeetar:
Also: huzzah for no night deaths! We're doing something right.

When you typed this, did you have -any- consideration or concern for arsonist, conversion, or other negative things that may have happened in place of a N1 kill, or was 'no kill=good, pro-Town play' the only thing you considered?

TolyK:
I might be able to confirm a townie.

Why did you tell us this?

I'll say that a SK is pretty much a given in a large game like this one. You need it.

Please explain why an SK is needed in a large game like this one.  Who needs an SK?

Cheeetar:
Cheeetar, if another player had made the choice you did at the end of D1, what questions would you want to ask that player?  Do you consider 'acting to save oneself' to be appropriate for every player under every condition of high pressure/immediate threat of death?

Not for every circumstance, but if a townie is given a choice between themselves dying and somebody else who they don't really know anything about yet dying, the townie should probably pick the other dude. Is this a controversial view?

I bolded the question you failed to answer.

In addition to still wanting it answered, I also want an explanation of why you completely ignored that question when you answered me.

You ask in turn 'Is this a controversial view', and you ask it while you are engaged in a debate with multiple people discussing views very counter to what you expressed.  So I say that the answer is clearly yes.  So clearly, I also ask you in turn, why did you ask me if it was a controversial view?

flabort:
Your first attempt to use your double vote:

No, my one-shot is Vote-ato, and I'll prove that it's not clearing the board by simultaneously voting Cheeetar and Shakerag.

What did you believe the board would look like at that point?  And/or did you believe that the game was already over at this point, with both Cheeetar and Shakerag hammered?  If not, why not?

At that point, votecount showed you still voting for Cheeetar only.  So:

Oh, yeah, and now I need to do both simultaneously it seems.
Cheetar, shakerag

Again, what did you believe the board would look like at that point?  And/or did you believe that the game was already over at this point, with both Cheeetar and Shakerag hammered?  If not, why not?

But votecount now showed you voting once for each of those people.

At that point, that is when you voted 8 times for both of those people.

Now, about your claimed intentions about those 8 votes.

B) Someone having more votes on them then me would make me safe.
C) I didn't want to be responsible for killing either of them if they wound up town.
D) I didn't want to cause a tie.
G) Whoever cast the hammer vote would come under suspicion from the whole town.

Therefor, while it was a hasty and self-preserving action, there was plenty of reason behind it and I believed it would help town.

You had 2 votes on you.  You state that someone having more votes on them than you would make you safe.  You claim that whomever cast the hammer would come under suspicion of the whole Town.  You claim you had plenty of reason behind what you did.

Any number of votes more than 2 would 'make you safe' by the logic you used, -and- you clearly can change your votecount at will; you had done so with your multi-votes once already.  Why did you immediately move to 8 votes, a completely loaded hammer-gun, instead of a lower votecount that you remained capable of changing at will if you later found it necessary or useful?

Furthermore, you -knew- you had this ability.  How could you feel frightened of or threatened at all by having 2 votes on you?  You had the power to instantly change that at any time.  Extension had already happened, day end wasn't going to be for 2 more days.  You were very, very far from a hammer and online.  Explain in detail please, how you felt any fear or urgency in this situation.  You appear to me to have held every card and complete control over the votecount needed to protect yourself at any point.

IronyOwl:
Imp, TolyK, CAPTAIN EAGLES, Varee: If you were in Cheeetar or Shakerag's position yesterday, would you have hammered the other choice as quickly as you could have? If you'd gotten on before either of them, would you have immediately hammered whichever one of them you liked or trusted least? Why?

I was online and watching at the time.  I did not hammer, though I also had no idea if a hammer was actually possible until after Cheeetar had hammered (I did not know if flabort's votes had a measure or not, I was not sure what was going on.  My last refresh before the hammer was before wubba posted the votecount showing the 8 votes on each).  Had I seen the votecount, I would not have hammered. 

If I had been picked to be one of the targets of the prisoner's dilema, I'm not sure what I would have done on the spot.  I've never seen a situation like this before; I did not view it 'one or both of those players is about to be killed' until it happened; I've little previous experience with hammers.  This has been a great chance to think about it and decide.  I think I would have been quite calm and discussing matters as I understood them - I didn't really understand hammer at that point.

Now that I -know- that Cheeetar would instantly kill if in a situation where he could instantly die, if I were balanced against Cheeetar, this is what I would do:

If I did not have a highly useful night ability, I would attempt to discuss and wait, and probably try to talk flabort into changing the situation to allow more discussion and less risk of instant death, reminding that he can always change it back when the talking is done.

If I had a highly useful night ability, one that I believed the use of would tremendously benefit Town, and it was -Cheeetar- I was balanced against (I know I have no time in that case, for Cheeetar will instantly vote me the first moment he is aware of the choice, it for sure is a race measured in seconds), I would try to kill Cheeetar and save my use of the night ability.  I would use it and pray I lived long enough into the night for it to take affect; when day came if I was still alive I would fullclaim, explain my reasoning, accept and agree that my actions were absolutely suspicious, and spend that day scumhunting.  Maybe I could help uncover useful clues for my team; for sure I would put a ton of effort into doing so and into clearing the mud I'd added to the water by my actions.

Varee:
so someone get the house. I will be real happy if whoever got it said so. Also on second thought it might not be a house. more like toilet or something.

Do you need explicit consent to target someone for that house?  You had said you wanted to know who would get the house.  Why didn't you target someone specifically so you would know who got it?

Toaster:
A better question is this:

Flabort:  If you're town, why didn't you simply hammer everybody but yourself?

Why did you specify 'If you're town' in that question?  If he could have hammered everyone, there's extremely few roles he could possibly have where he would not win by hammering everyone but himself (ironically, the something-ally roles are among those).

What was the purpose of this very odd question, and why do you think this is a 'better question'?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2014, 04:59:11 pm »

I missed this.
Imp, TolyK, CAPTAIN EAGLES, Varee: If you were in Cheeetar or Shakerag's position yesterday, would you have hammered the other choice as quickly as you could have? If you'd gotten on before either of them, would you have immediately hammered whichever one of them you liked or trusted least? Why?
Actually, it isn't prisoners dilemma in that both players could call each other in, not was it a simultaneous game. (this is in response to Imp's post as well). It's a sequential game of inequality, all of us are players and only two would be punished completely. Thus, hammering is the only option in this scenario.

However, causing this scenario to happen is very scummy. As I already said, and so did others.
Re-voting Flabort if I don't find anything end noteworthy.

Imp, I said it to attract the scum kill, obviously. Depends on how much they want to WIFOM, to be honest.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »

TolyK:
Imp, I said it to attract the scum kill, obviously. Depends on how much they want to WIFOM, to be honest.

Thanks.  Why did you only answer one of my questions?  Here's a repost of the unanswered one.

I'll say that a SK is pretty much a given in a large game like this one. You need it.
Please explain why an SK is needed in a large game like this one.  Who needs an SK?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:47 pm »

TolyK:

Thanks.  Why did you only answer one of my questions?  Here's a repost of the unanswered one.

That's...
Mysteriousbluepuppet said that, not TolyK...

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 14, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »

That's...
Mysteriousbluepuppet said that, not TolyK...

Heh.  Thank you, 4maskwolf.  Trusted my incorrect formatting way and didn't re-read myself.

Please explain why an SK is needed in a large game like this one.  Who needs an SK?[/quote]

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 14, 2014, 05:47:52 pm »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 14, 2014, 05:51:19 pm »

Alright, on to more serious things:
Everyone voting Flabort: What are your points against him?  What alignment do you believe him to be?
Everyone not voting Flabort: What do you think of the arguments for lynching Flabort?  Why do you believe a different target would be a better choice?

To answer my own question:
I believe that the arguments against Flabort have a lot of merit to them: they make good sense and fit with my philosophy of how townies should act.  However, Flabort has burned his one-shot ability and we know how to get rid of him, so I think that we should get rid of someone who is a greater unknown but still (in my opinion) scummy.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 14, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »

Okay, I'm not gonna roleplay this one either.

Are you serious?

Go after a greater unknown? Obviously we are each really certain that he's scum. Why in the hell would we go after someone else that we think isn't as scummy?

"Oh dear, I think Vector is scum! I better vote Wuba!"

Explain why that makes sense.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 14, 2014, 05:57:00 pm »

Are you serious?

Go after a greater unknown? Obviously we are each really certain that he's scum. Why in the hell would we go after someone else that we think isn't as scummy?

Going after the greater unknown that is still scummy.  I believe that Cheeetar and Flabort are both scum, but I'd rather have the scum I know last another day than the scum whose powers I don't know, and who may not have burned any powerful one-shots they have.  That's the reason my vote remains on Cheeetar.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »

Yes... Because Flabort has told us all of their abilities.

Explain again your case on Cheetar? He's scum because... Flabort essentially forced him to hammer vote?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2014, 06:10:08 pm »

Are you serious?

I'm giving MY rationale for why I believe that it is a better choice.  I'm not trying to tell the town to vote him: I'm stating MY reasons for not voting Flabort and instead proposing another target.  Basically, I'd rather see Cheeetar be lynched (unless he convinces me otherwise, or at the very least assuages my suspicions), but I think that Flabort is scum as well and would be almost as happy with his lynch.

Yes... Because Flabort has told us all of their abilities.

Explain again your case on Cheetar? He's scum because... Flabort essentially forced him to hammer vote?
It's my contention that he did not have to hammer vote.  I'm trying to get to the bottom of the logic that says "well, me and another person are at L-1, let's hammer him quickly".  Because that makes no sense to me as town logic.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 14, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »

This is getting ridiculous. Flabort is OMGUS-y scum and I'm becoming more and more certain that 4mask is his scumbuddy. (Can you summarize your suspicions? The thread is really long and my time is limited lately. Would be appreciative.) We have a SK, too, but Flabort is keeping my vote.

@Toaster: My thoughts on Varee have mostly shifted toward him being a little less talented with communication and I refocused elsewhere. As far as TolyK, I only had feeling that I was following before legitimate scumtells started showing up. Neither are cleared, but there's evidence out there and not following it would be folly on my part.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 123