Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 240305 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 3: Lucky Number Thirteen!
« Reply #1005 on: August 29, 2014, 03:57:57 am »

PFP

What does a house do?

It's not the best explanation, but:

Toaster: here the exact word of the power
Your unstoppable need to build things causes a random player (including you) is given a random ability that coincides with their role each Night. You may choose to target (excluding you) this as a free action.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:39 am »

Oh huh.

So...he picks someone, yet it goes off randomly? Strange.
Still a bit confused on how you can control others' auto's Toaster, but just preparing for prelims here. Will get a nice read over the weekend.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:55 am »

Tiruin:

Point A:
The ability steal is a Auto that that scavenge the ability of a dead player, and REDACTED it. Also, losing it = death, apparently.

Point B:
Nah, that's me.  Yeah, I've been getting those abilities, in return for not having any to start with.

For the record:

Shakerag:  An auto that does nothing, but is removed first if an auto ability is removed.
Flabort:  His revive, which pretty much works as he claimed it
NQT: He can dictate how random abilities work.  Therefore, it's extremely safe to assume that he didn't kill himself, block claims notwithstanding.
Persus:  Immunity to Shakerag.  Shakerag cannot action this person, including this person being unlynchable if Shakerag is voting him.

I don't have any non-auto actions.  And yes, if I lose that auto, I die.

Point C:
Okay, you got me.  I am a Survivor.

I am The Player of BYOR 13 to Whom the Rules Do Not Apply.  Apparently that means 1) I don't get actual actions 2) I don't care for the normal Town/Mafia alignment rules.  I was hoping for some sort of crazy outsider alignment, or a hilarious role that could edit posts and talk at night and such hilarity, but alas.

I have no actions to claim because I have no non-auto actions.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:02 am »

Toaster: How is your luck control ability an auto? Don't you have to target it?

MBP:
WIch is a damn shame, since i wanted to use my copper-ing
What ability is this?

Irony: Thanks.

Two, a wasted lynch is a wasted lynch. I don't see why pushing it forward saves us anything.
I disagree. It's better to waste a lynch earlier in the game, where we know less and we've got a bigger margin between scum and town.

Tiruin: From the pieces I've read of the game, you were a miller, then lost it to Persus, who confirmed it by dying and flipping town. You were also inspected at some point. Is this right?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 29, 2014, 09:45:15 am »

Night eyes, learn an ability of the target. See Toaster post above for what it gives me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 29, 2014, 09:46:17 am »

Tiruin: From the pieces I've read of the game, you were a miller, then lost it to Persus, who confirmed it by dying and flipping town. You were also inspected at some point. Is this right?
Yes? I'm unsure if someone inspected me yet though. The last sentence I've no idea of.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 29, 2014, 09:48:40 am »

Oh huh.

So...he picks someone, yet it goes off randomly? Strange.
Still a bit confused on how you can control others' auto's Toaster, but just preparing for prelims here. Will get a nice read over the weekend.
I think if my target freeaction failed it still go off at random.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 29, 2014, 10:14:36 am »

TWS:  No, it's not targeted.  As far as I can tell, this is the closest comparison, from BYOR 10:

(Auto) Picturesque: You can create any role and alignment. Any actions that take role, action, or alignment information will use that. This can be changed at any time. Note: This will take everything word for word.

I'm guessing the control is more of an attribute then an actual action.  Configurable autos have precedent, certainly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 29, 2014, 10:42:08 am »

So how do you control it? Do you need to know what kind of probability-related powers are affecting people?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 29, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »

I can't control specific abilities without knowing what they are.  I can't target by ability type or alignment.

Controlling an ability is easier if I know what it is.  If I don't have details, I can only make blank general statements.  (If PlayerX randomly targets someone, it's not me, and things like that.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 29, 2014, 03:12:22 pm »

i really just hope you're a survivor which TolyK's {Town} & {Neutral} thing is true with.
On that note ,TolyK: Why were there 2 reads in your inspect?
 Panicked is a state of constant terror; anyone who has it has a 50% chance to succeed at actions, with this ability having a half chance to disappear at the start of each Day.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 29, 2014, 03:52:35 pm »

Cheeetar:
The unfortunate part of us lynching him if he ever turns out to be unhelpful? We'll need to do it twice, and even then we won't have killed a scum. If he chooses to do so, he can give the scum two nights of complete immunity to town, in which they may do as they wish. This would be really bad, and we need to lower the chances of it happening. To those saying 'what if scum then nightkill him?'- in that case, he couldn't lock down scum anyway and all we've lost is a third party aka somebody who has no motive to help town win.
But why would he? It'd be painting a giant target on his chest in a game with a lot of unpredictable shenanigans.

And I'd like to reiterate that "cannot stop all NKs forever" is not the same as "useless." Again, recall the counter to Goddess- scum revives, ability steals, and a 50% town kill magnet. That didn't mean the ability was worthless or didn't affect scum, it just meant it had a counter.

MBP:
I don't remember the context forthe fancy stuff. I don't really intend to go reread what i wrote when i was mad as hell, not good for my soul . My reasoning for the vote will follow in the other posts.
Fair enough, though this is in line with my interpretation that you seemed to be panicking at this whole situation.

Because as a scum they should be immune by default. If so, they can continue NKilling while inconveniencing town. The combo also falls since they can simply kill NQH/Toaster and get rid of it. Then again, they can let it go,since it impact town and not themselves

If it's a town ability, then scum is affected by it, and NQH/Toaster can lockdown. Scum only chance lay in lynching NQT/Toaster, which is unlikely, since he can just come out if his head is on the chopping block.
What? Why would scum be immune to it by default? It sounds like you're saying that this combo shouldn't affect scum at all and is therefore reasonable but harmful as a town ability.

For the second part, did you see the role I linked? Do you have an explanation for why that could be perfectly balanced but this couldn't, beyond what you've said above about it not affecting scum in the first place? And in the same vein, what about the severe targeting restriction countered by a town auto ability?

Finally, why would it be alright if scum got to use the combo but not alright if town did?

Because Toaster is a 3rd party, not town. Shit like that happen.
Third parties cause us to give scum 2-3 favorable lynches?

I don,t really understand what you are talkign about here. I didn't speak about a miller in this game.
Yeah you have. You're calling Tiruin scum. Tiruin, who had her Miller ability removed by confirmed-town Persus.

You're saying a Miller is scum.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 29, 2014, 05:31:16 pm »

i really just hope you're a survivor which TolyK's {Town} & {Neutral} thing is true with.

It's because Flabort his behind Toaster, I targeted Toaster, and my action was copied to Flabort as well. The results were mixed though (dammit Wuba :p).

Also, @miller removal, she could still be the SK, or scum who lied about losing it to get confirmed somehow. The second is unlikely at best, but still possible.

Does anyone want anyone else inspected? I'll take your opinions into consideration.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 29, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »

Cheeetar:
The unfortunate part of us lynching him if he ever turns out to be unhelpful? We'll need to do it twice, and even then we won't have killed a scum. If he chooses to do so, he can give the scum two nights of complete immunity to town, in which they may do as they wish. This would be really bad, and we need to lower the chances of it happening. To those saying 'what if scum then nightkill him?'- in that case, he couldn't lock down scum anyway and all we've lost is a third party aka somebody who has no motive to help town win.
But why would he? It'd be painting a giant target on his chest in a game with a lot of unpredictable shenanigans.

And I'd like to reiterate that "cannot stop all NKs forever" is not the same as "useless." Again, recall the counter to Goddess- scum revives, ability steals, and a 50% town kill magnet. That didn't mean the ability was worthless or didn't affect scum, it just meant it had a counter.

"Cannot stop scum from killing town while at the same time can stop all town from doing anything ever" = useless.

Why would he do it? Because there's something he hasn't told us about his alignment, or because he has a feeling that scum would be able to win within two flawless, uninterrupted nights if he sides with them. We don't need to guess at why he might do it, we need to eliminate the chance of it happening. If this works and Toaster sides with us we have won. Let's do our best to make sure this happens, eh?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 29, 2014, 07:32:00 pm »

I don,t really understand what you are talkign about here. I didn't speak about a miller in this game.
Yeah you have. You're calling Tiruin scum. Tiruin, who had her Miller ability removed by confirmed-town Persus.

You're saying a Miller is scum.
Err, on that note--Persus targeted an auto (which I rambled about back in my ..big post back there?) :P

It's because Flabort his behind Toaster, I targeted Toaster, and my action was copied to Flabort as well. The results were mixed though (dammit Wuba :p).

Also, @miller removal, she could still be the SK, or scum who lied about losing it to get confirmed somehow. The second is unlikely at best, but still possible.

Does anyone want anyone else inspected? I'll take your opinions into consideration.
Yeah, I'm not the SK. :v

Both my actions N1/2 failed. As in, they failed. They weren't redirected or whatever--they failed.

Inspect me! \o/
Who are your choices for inspection, TolyK. I'm wary of investigators being scum here [/obv] :v
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 123