Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 241611 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 4: #deathnodeath
« Reply #1275 on: September 09, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »

Scripten:
For nights 1 and 2, I tried to choose people who looked fairly scummy or anti-town. Flabort and Toaster fit the bill, and I was suspicious enough of P13 to aim at him. Last night, I didn't think my ability would work at all (I was told that one or both of my primes failed, so I'm fairly certain it didn't work.) so I chose a player that I have a null read on atm.
You tried to prime Jack N3 because you had a null read on him? Why on earth would a townie try to prime someone they had a null read on, as opposed to someone they had a scum read on?

I didn't have any significant scumreads like I did the first two nights. I was also nearly sure my abilities would be blocked. They were.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 09, 2014, 01:12:32 pm »

It seemed to me that the most intelligent way to go would be to prime those whom I would expect to see in the end game, starting with the least town and moving up each night. As I said, I had no more hard scum reads, so I moved up into players that were not town to me.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 09, 2014, 01:20:56 pm »

You mean people most likely not to by lynched off, so that you could take out the rest of them and be stuck with easier-to-lynch players?
If it happened that you had primed everyone at LYLO/MYLO, that would be a very great SK (arsonist) win possibility.

Also I find it funny that you claimed your role AFTER I claimed role investigator.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

You mean people most likely not to by lynched off, so that you could take out the rest of them and be stuck with easier-to-lynch players?
If it happened that you had primed everyone at LYLO/MYLO, that would be a very great SK (arsonist) win possibility.

Also I find it funny that you claimed your role AFTER I claimed role investigator.

So what I'm understanding is that I should have just forgotten about using my role whatsoever?

And my ability to manipulate time is well known among certain circles. Namely the fact that it doesn't work. Frankly, all full claiming is doing is getting me scumread, so maybe you can extrapolate why I would be hesitant? Also, exactly how many third parties are to be expected in this game?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 09, 2014, 03:26:39 pm »

Extend. I won't be able to post anything substantial until Thursday due to exams and obsessive studying.

Get well soon Tiruin!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 09, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »

Scripten:
You tried to prime Jack N3 because you had a null read on him? Why on earth would a townie try to prime someone they had a null read on, as opposed to someone they had a scum read on?

I didn't have any significant scumreads like I did the first two nights. I was also nearly sure my abilities would be blocked. They were.

"I thought my action wouldn't go through so I did it" is not a very good excuse- instead imagine that a claimed vigilante used a kill on somebody for spurious reasons (priming people is a time-delayed kill assuming you survive to activate your 1 shot) and their excuse was "I thought I'd be blocked." Would that fly with you?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 09, 2014, 03:50:32 pm »

Scripten: So what changed between you trying to prime Jack N3 and this post:
For right now? I'm not sure. I'm suspicious of Cheetar and MBP, but those are merely gut feelings base don playstyle. I was pretty damn convinced Flabort was scum, and Varee was... well, you know how he plays. I had suspected P13, but, as you saw, he was NK'd, so my ability didn't really do anything. My picklist hasn't been very good, I'll be honest. I think I targeted Toaster once and he's 3rd party, but now I don't think I CAN target him. Or I was blocked.

And yeah, I had abilities fail every night, but I do not know which. My night game needs some work, I think. I feel like I'm falling behind in this game and I'm not sure where to turn my suspicions.
(emphasis mine)
Even a gut feeling is better justification than nothing at all. Why not prime one of them?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 09, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »

"I thought my action wouldn't go through so I did it" is not a very good excuse- instead imagine that a claimed vigilante used a kill on somebody for spurious reasons (priming people is a time-delayed kill assuming you survive to activate your 1 shot) and their excuse was "I thought I'd be blocked." Would that fly with you?

That's a false equivalency. Remember that I also block players and each of my actions had a 50% chance of failing without the power lockdown. Yes, if both of my blocks went through, that would have become a prime. It was relatively unlikely, and I may never end up using my one-shot. It is, at its core, a backup in case things get hairy.

Urist Imiknoriss: I foresee Jack being a more viable endgame player. My aim was to, if my actions did not fail, have my powers act as insurance later in the game.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 10, 2014, 04:39:13 pm »

Good use of that extension.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 10, 2014, 04:46:18 pm »

Urist Imiknoriss: I foresee Jack being a more viable endgame player. My aim was to, if my actions did not fail, have my powers act as insurance later in the game.
As opposed to, if your actions did not fail, priming a suspect of yours.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 10, 2014, 05:05:31 pm »

As opposed to, if your actions did not fail, priming a suspect of yours.

If I suspect scum, I can push a case on them during the day. Scum-leading-town, however, are much more dangerous in the long run. So I am using my powers as a backup plan.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 11, 2014, 01:20:36 am »

Good, forum's back up.  I've been waiting to post this.

Fuck it, cancel my replacement request.  I'm not in great mental/emotional shape right now, but the guilt I feel for requesting a replacement isn't helping me.  I'm not going to be as involved as I normally try to be at this stage of the game, but I'll try to be involved.

Jack:
TheWetSheep: In addition to my issues with your predecessor, I have issues with your play.  Specifically, your TolyK vote.  Even for a newcomer to a very long game, this is light on content.  There isn't a case, and the questions consist of a rhetorical question and a clarification request.  Your next few questions to TolyK are a bit better, but you're barely there on him.  Considering you've only really looked at TolyK today, there's an issue here.
I can't address your issues with Imp, but would you say I'm the lowest on content today? Many people haven't even voted, and TolyK's and Nerjin's votes are similarly low-content and low-pressure. I realize this doesn't mean I'm less guilty of it, but why are you focusing on only me?
TheWetSheep: Heh.  You have to understand that I placed my vote not just because of your poor activity at the time, but because of Imp's stuff as well (which does make this conversation rather awkward, unfortunately).  As for the specific people you referred to, TolyK's strategic uselessness, while incredibly aggravating, is something he tried in at least one previous game as town (also, he was making real contributions to the game somehow), and Nerjin's attack both was with a clear and rebuttable reason and was clearly a preliminary statement to be improved or altered soon.

Now, you have significantly improved since my attack.  This is good.  My vote holds, though, primarily for one reason.

Why do you feel the need to deflect?  What makes you so scared of my vote that you feel the need to not only defend yourself, but push me towards a bunch of other players?

Scripten: I am troubled by what appear to be attempts to delegitimize criticism of your night actions by equating it to criticism of your role. (see here and here)  I am also troubled by your nervous, rather defensive (all the way up to you feeling the need, for some reason, to defend the fact that you were defending yourself) response to a quick, non-aggressive question from someone who was replacing out at the time (see the second linked post).  Please explain.

Would it be correct to say that your plan was basically to prime all the likely long-lived players so you could zap a bunch at the end if you felt it was necessary?  Also, even ignoring the priming part, why did you feel so comfortable with blocking a skilled non-suspect?

On the second, I have had substantially less time than I wished, and have had to rush my readings of the thread.
Urist Imiknorris: Alright.  Did you intend to read my Day 1 stuff later?
I was reading your FoSes in that post as actual FoSes instead of merely things that caught your eye.
They were sort of a mix.  Suspicion due to things I noticed that, in my quick initial post, I declared I would examine in more detail to determine what to do.  By the way, you skipped a few questions here:
What makes you view Cheeetar and Flabort as the two sides of the conflict?  What makes them "both," as in all, of the sides?  What is it that is scummy about a willingness to critically examine "both sides" of an issue?
Answer them.
It [the attack on Nerjin] hardly counts as an attack when you back down almost immediately, as you've done a rather large portion of the time.
It was a true attack. Just one that, due to the response (which was a real-life-based explanation that fit the actions taken quite well), I had no reason to continue with.  The fact that I am somewhat willing to accept reasonable defenses does not make aggression non-aggression.
I am amused to see you try to justify not including Nerjin this way, with your reasons having clearly been created after your actions (by this standard, the Cheeetar FoS should not have been included.  You outright emphasized that FoS.).  Please explain this.
But this part does make your goal in your accusation clear.  You want to flip part of my attack on Imp around, and put reaching my Imp conclusion about me above reaching an evidence-based conclusion.  Why did you prioritize flipping the attack on Imp around over making a good case?
False.
Alright, I shall rephrase.  Why is your attack a flipped version of one part of my attack on Imp, and why did you try to make the evidence fit such a conclusion instead of finding a conclusion with the evidence?
what is your read on Irony, exactly?
General thoughts (no in-depth search, sorry): He's come across as stressed and confused for much of the game, albeit still trying to contribute well.  Biggest issue, which I think I considered well-covered by others at the time, was his temporary obsession with Cheeetar.  Generally, though, he's mostly seemed okay.  Bit of a background player, though that's easy when the game's been dominated by self-destructing players (Flabort, MBP...) and irritating non-contributing players (TolyK, Varee...).  Mild town lean.
In any case, I look forward to your promised evaluation.
Not now, sorry.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:49 am »

I know. Been busy. Remain busy. Odds of lynching scum approaching zero.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:18 am »

My question to TolyK in this post remains.

If I suspect scum, I can push a case on them during the day. Scum-leading-town, however, are much more dangerous in the long run. So I am using my powers as a backup plan.

You have a pretty strong power- just having two blocks alone would be fairly good for town. Why are you only aiming to use it as a backup plan in case you can't find scum during the days lynch? I remind you of the question in the post I linked above- doesn't it make more sense to block multiple people once, and then only prime those you see as suspicious later?

Sorry Webadict :(
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 11, 2014, 05:31:34 am »

TolyK: The more he types, the less inclined I am to believe he's an investigator. All of the stuff he's claimed (that person is definitely not scum, guys) has been pretty easy to claim as a scum, and the fact that he only explained why after they were dead for a few was suspicious, along with the generally reasonless way he acts. The only thing that's been on target so far has been pinning Toaster as a third party- and this was after Toaster'd already been rolecopped and somebody was likely going to expose him for stealing powers from corpses.
Toly K: You're 'okay' with being lynched. Let's say you're lynched and flip as town- how does this help us, beyond knowing that Jack is town and Toaster is third party?
It doesn't, except that it makes me less of a burden on everyone (which is not a valid point from my perspective). But I wouldn't be too disappointed with it, to be honest.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 123