Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Free Socks* (Details inside)  (Read 38741 times)

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
Re: Slingblock: A noob fortress - Wells are hard.
« Reply #255 on: September 20, 2014, 06:30:26 am »

The floodgates thing is actually news to me. I will still remove the lever for opening it.
left eye

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:34 am »

I want in!

I'm a half-noob if you can call me that.

I have yet to know how to work any thing that'd be considered "a feat of dwarven engineering!"
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2014, 01:16:34 pm »

2nd of Granite
I noticed the soldiers at the shooting range getting thirsty but not leaving because they could still see the goblins despite not being able to attack them, so I dropped them into the lower part and covered them up, so the system works well in that way as well. I also dumped the corpses of the starved animals out of the cages[you do that by designating them to dump, then undump the cages through the [ k] menu].

6th of Granite
Apparently there was a mood going on

Fancy. Around here wrapping some cats around your head to keep warm is a good idea anyways, but getting rid of the claws is a genius move.

13th of Granite
I have started to put doors on the commoners bedrooms which previous overseers have for some reason decided wasn’t necessary. While I am not usually opposed to cutting costs, after having to sleep there for half a year myself I must say I prefer my workers’ fingers to not break off from the cold in their sleep.

17th of Granite
While the prisons haven’t been dug out yet, the organization of the new guard is going along nicely.
I plan to have several patrol routes and stations in pivotal areas.

11th of Slate
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
While digging for magma our miners have discovered another cavern layer and within an eerie blue metal I have never seen before. The smiths had that glint in their eyes which you usually only see with gold, but personally it creeps me out and I have ordered it not to be touched.

17th of Slate
Good news: We found Magma!
Bad news: We also found something else:
Made out of yet another unknown material. It doesn’t seem to present a threat at the moment but I’ll do my damndest to avoid the mines from now on.

21st of Slate
My next project will be reworking the military(again). In this area previous overseers have done good work but I will make some preferential changes. First off, I’m reducing the number off squads for convenience, since they clutter up the reports(squads screen).  Also, some of them are empty and there is no reason to have lots of small squads with the scheduling that has been done.
The second thing I will change is the uniforms. At the moment they are set to include a number of non-armor clothing items for optimal protection, and, don’t get me wrong, this does provide a little additional defense. However, there are significant drawbacks to it. For one, cloth is prone to being set on fire, which can be a wee bit problematic when fighting fire-spitting enemies. More importantly though, rotting clothing is quite off-putting and anyone who has lived through a thus induced tantrum spiral will tell you what a relief it was not to have to supply the military as well.

7th of Felsite
The plans for the prison are finally done. They will be placed right above the cistern pipe with a grate down to drink if the prisoners are “forgotten” by the population.

10th of Felsite

A challenger appears!
Thankfully this one looks like a weakling, and it doesn’t seem to be able to get to us.

16th of Felsite

I sent the Hammers and the Swords to the surface to face them. The other squads are on standby because I’m still worried about the beast which has disappeared into the shadows.  While the troops waited for the bowgoblins to come to them, the elven caravan chose to arrive.

I wondered if I should try to save them, but then I realized what I was thinking and decided to let fate decide their uhh… destiny? Yes. Destiny. The goblins were then quickly cleaned up. In other good news: We now have a breeding pair of jaguars. In the tundra. And still no ice wolves.

As you can see on the headscarf there is also a vampire queen and I think this is actually ours, judging by the civ screen.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:19:31 pm by Nail »
left eye

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2014, 04:50:42 pm »

A vampire necromancer queen?

Holy shit.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »

What is this 'curious underground structure'? o.O
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #260 on: September 20, 2014, 10:45:23 pm »

Lots of !!FUN!!.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2014, 03:39:51 am »

I don't think she's a necromancer, that was someone else.
left eye

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2014, 07:47:44 am »

color=teal](OoC: Guys. Necromancer Queen. This is brilliant. WE MUST BECOME THE MOUNTAINHOME AT ALL COSTS.)[/color]

27th Slate 255, mid-Spring

Nope.  Necro queen.  Imagine all the fun !!mandates!! your necromancer will issue.  Embrace it, and prepare for it.  Its really a bigger gift than you know.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:49:35 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 21, 2014, 09:46:00 am »

Add me to that darned turn list, I guess that I'd be considered a noob.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 21, 2014, 10:00:28 am »

(OoC: Guys. Necromancer Queen. This is brilliant. WE MUST BECOME THE MOUNTAINHOME AT ALL COSTS.)

27th Slate 255, mid-Spring

Nope.  Necro queen.  Imagine all the fun !!mandates!! your necromancer will issue.  Embrace it, and prepare for it.  Its really a bigger gift than you know.
I think it's a past queen. Currently the civ screen says our queen's Aban Umaredem
left eye

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:11 am »

But if the queen is also a vampire, then she's under an assumed name, which means we very well could have a vampiric necromancer for a queen.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 21, 2014, 12:46:35 pm »

The dwarves always use the real names of people in their art even if you don't know them. You can actually discover vampires that way. Still, I'm not 100% sure she's not a necromancer since I don't know if the name in the civ screen is real. Regardless, they're definitely not the same person.
A lot of people have not been redworfed, the only people alive are:
August II
Dunasmideos and
King murdoc
tell me if you want a dwarf
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:51:24 pm by Nail »
left eye

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 21, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »

22nd Malachite

While work around Slingblock was trundling along nicely an engineer was struck by inspiration.

17th of Galena
The human caravan arrived and, what a surprise,
Now where is that lever to close the gate…
The goblins have come in force, most of them riding on war animals, though to my relief there don’t seem to be any ranged attackers.
The first wave coming from the south loses some of its mounts and leader, an axe lord, to the well placed cage traps before coming unto fire from the just finished new marksdwarf bunker. You can still see the scaffolding for the roof to the right!
Rith Inkedstockades, an axe lord himself, rushes ahead to face a large squad of enemies, literally singlehanded.
Logem Strokefences, a swordmaster, rushes in as well to give Rith a run for his money: He’s already managed to get his right arm broken!
And gets himself killed!
And why yes, he did get his arm torn off.
Rith is still trucking by the way, making three more notches in his axe.
Meanwhile Mebzuth Inkedstaff, the captain of the Hammers and easily the most accomplished soldier of Slingblock at 12 notable kills, known as the Enjoyable Calamities of Modesty throughout the fort, is hanging back to let the rookies gather some experience.
Another one of the Swords, Stukos Logemush, does his fallen comrade proud by being just as useless and just as quick to have his right arm mangled. Though in his defense, he is fighting an enemy mace lord.
Ast Tradedlulled, the Axe’s captain, not to be outdone by Rith, repels a giant bat using her baby as a shield and, aided by Rith, wrestles the mace lord away from the vomiting swordsdwarf and decapitates him with little effort.
At this time, the two goblins on voracious cave crawlers who got past the initial wave of soldiers and the weapon traps claim their first casualty among the group of stragglers fighting them: Rimtar Glazestoke, the(now former) captain of the Spears, which was already the smallest squad and now only has one member. Oh wait no, its empty.
Also  engaging the two crawlers is also one rookie swordsdwarf, who isn’t embarrassing himself to my surprise, having lopped of several of the riders’ feet.
Thankfully Mebzuth has backtracked to aid against the crawlers so it should be over soon.
Rith one shots a troll and this starts the push to exterminate the rest of the invaders, who are starting to flee.
The siege(the entirety of which our beloved ex-mayor and military commander August II slept through)is broken.
We have four casualties, the two speardwarves and two swordsdwarves, though Stukos actually survived. It was another soldier I didn’t notice wandering off. The MVP was clearly Rith Inkedstockades who killed four goblins, a troll, two elk birds and a giant olm(with one arm I remind you) and earned the title “The Friendly Nights”. Other people also earned titles: Oddom Maroontowers the Depressed Horn of Trading, her husband Athel Slingcrushed the Radiant Typhoon of Clasps, Rith’s partner in arms and captain Ast Tradedlulled the Realm of Tars and another axedwarf, Reg Ringedgorges the Ink of Sanctuary.
left eye

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 21, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

Adamantine, and the curious structure! Oh boy!
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2014, 01:57:09 pm »

2nd of Sandstone
The prison is done! Truly a joyous occasion.
I eagerly await the time when I can finally put somebody behind bars.

4th of Sandstone
Things are definitely coming together. The noble quarters are dug out, engraved and furnished. Ther are rooms for a broker, a bookkeeper, a manager, a chief medical dwarf, a guard captain, a hammerer, a militia commander and a mayor. Of course, some of these positions are currently filled by the same person but it’s important to have enough for all eventualities. Since I finished early, I think I will make rooms for a baron and maybe the queen.

15th of Timber

And this probably means goblins are right around the corner.
As the caravan nears, the end of my overseership draws ever closer. I will show the caravan what I have achieved here and at the end of the year I will retire to focus on upholding the order among the masses.

17th of Timber
As if on cue, a mood finishes:

9th of Opal

1st of Granite
And thus ends my year. I am satisfied with what I have achieved for the glory of our queen, who is, don’t let anybody tell you otherwise, totally not a vampire.
I will now hand over overseership to the next buffoon in line and concentrate on upholding order.

Save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9773
left eye
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28