- 0 (0%)
Jimmy's Fortress
- 2 (100%)
YAHG Fortress
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 31, 2014, 05:44:20 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions  (Read 4637 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:56:07 pm »

Original post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules, Guidelines and Explanations:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Current Tournament:

The save for the current tournament is can be found here: The link to the embark save is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NhFicKxNLEdzVHYkl0MkstSzg/edit?usp=sharing

To compete in this tournament you must:
  • Follow all rules listed above.
  • Play with the embark already made.
  • Not use any hack such as Fast Dwarf.
  • Notify if you are going to compete.

This tournament will end on July the 29th 12:00 PM AEST. At this point entries must stop coming in and a winner will be chosen through public voting.

(Note: The current tournament is run in 34.11 because while 40.04 is better by far at this point I am valuing stability more than pure coolness)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:41:32 am by Gamedragon »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:53:30 am »

I would have to ask what the rules are first. I mean, in my forts all the dwarves are happy and no one dies (mostly), but at the same time, that guy who walled off the HFS had a huge field filled to the brim with the coffins of drafted masons. Which fort was more awesome? his, obviously. On some points mine would win, on one very big one his would.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:00:38 am »

Well,

1) Dwarf Fortress isn't exactly a competitive game like DOTA, it's more of a collaborative one.

2) We can't exactly port over individual adventurers (who i'd assume would be the competitive element?) into each other's games, it's kind of the whole world or bust.

That said, you're asking me to to form an opinion based on 7 sentences. If you write up some solid rules and explanation on how to play, sure i'll read it and I might i'll try it. New modes of play are always popping up with this game. I mean, Timeless Bob is playing a meta-game of monopoly through Dwarf Fortress after all. So I guess I'm saying instead of just assuming we know exactly how you think this gamemode is going to play, explain a bit further and maybe show an example or two on how to play?   

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:11:38 am by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:51:08 am »

Now to see if I can answer some points brought up.
Well,

1) Dwarf Fortress isn't exactly a competitive game like DOTA, it's more of a collaborative one.

2) We can't exactly port over individual adventurers (who i'd assume would be the competitive element?) into each other's games, it's kind of the whole world or bust.

That said, you're asking me to to form an opinion based on 7 sentences. If you write up some solid rules and explanation on how to play, sure i'll read it and I might i'll try it. New modes of play are always popping up with this game. I mean, Timeless Bob is playing a meta-game of monopoly through Dwarf Fortress after all. So I guess I'm saying instead of just assuming we know exactly how you think this gamemode is going to play, explain a bit further and maybe show an example or two on how to play?   

1) I agree, Dwarf Fortress is not competitive, and I think that, that could help in this case as extremely competitive games often have a  very unhelpful attitude, whereas this community is helpful, kind and awesome. So while arguments and the like could pop up (which they always do) they would be outweighed by more positive posts, etc.

2) While this could be a problem I see the game more like adventurers or forts being played on a separate version of the same world for each player.

3) Good points I will write up some explanations, guidelines and rules sometime this week (hopefully).

I would have to ask what the rules are first. I mean, in my forts all the dwarves are happy and no one dies (mostly), but at the same time, that guy who walled off the HFS had a huge field filled to the brim with the coffins of drafted masons. Which fort was more awesome? his, obviously. On some points mine would win, on one very big one his would.
1) There would be different types of competitions and so some forts like your happy utopia would win and some hell-holes would win. For some competitions there could be a voting poll and for some there could be point allocated scoring depending on what type I decide to run.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »

I'd like to volunteer my Luckiest Tourist EVER world as a platform for your series of competitions.  There's all sorts of player generated history there in both adventure mode and fortress as well as some pretty fun back-story.  If what you're thinking about is basically creating a "dorf-olympics", that would fit right in.  (I can see a "adventurer relay race" for instance, where Players would compete to see who could guide a series of adventurers who carry a baton from one place to another while passing through specific "check-points" in the shortest amount of time, (documented with a screen-shot of the baton laying next to a specific statue or carved wall for instance).  Then there's the "living sculpture" competition (a 1x1 fortress "district" of the Forbidden City with the goal of it being one single sculpture), to be judged via poll by the community... I already have it set up for a dorf version of "Iron Chef", a competition for who can create the most expensive and rare ingredient foods and drinks.  All of the mini-games in that world except for "The Tourist" are easily ported over to friendly competition games, if that's what you'd like to compete in.  Heck, we could even forge a suit of gold, silver and copper armor (encrusted with gems even) for each event, to be awarded to the Player's contestant who wins each event.  I could modify the first page with a score-board showing who won what, so we could see at a glance which Player's team has the most "golds", "silvers" and "coppers".
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:20:33 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:52 pm »

I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a DF tournament/friendly competition that could run every week/day/month/year.

Has this ever been done?
If so was it successful?
What could be done to make it fair, etc.?
Would you be interested in competing/observing?
Prizes (a fancy sig pic, cosmic goodwill, fancy profile pic or something else.)?

If people show interest I could write up some rules and judging guidelines and get one running.

Fortress Defense / Adventurer Assault mode

It is possible to leave hostile adventurers at forts, we could have a timed competition

1: X months/seasons game time to prepare with some agreed upon number of embark points retire fort.
2: Invade the fort with adventurer, you can either retire it on the site after killing someone (in my tests this is both possible  in 40.04 and when you reload with the previously retired fortress the retired adventurer is hostile to you.)
2b: What the adventurers are (custom creature) could be could be the actual competition, survive a siege of 'Custom Monster'
3: You could either do

Offense style: You control the adventurer and may bring any companions you can find with you in your attack
Defense style: You leave the Adventurer onsite for the player to deal with in fortress mode

Screenshots and stories either way. I am imagining different modes, you could play defense as humans as long as you mined with open air quarries or elves if you made them lay "grown wood log" eggs, people trying to set up elaborate defenses quickly, people sneaking past trickier parts of your defenses by climbing

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:34 pm »

on that note you could get two dwarf civs, and two teams of player take turns to play each one, either making/reclaiming fortresses and.. fortifying them,
or playing as adventurers and trying to take/retake enemy fortresses until one civ has conquered the other?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:41 pm »

on that note you could get two dwarf civs, and two teams of player take turns to play each one, either making/reclaiming fortresses and.. fortifying them,
or playing as adventurers and trying to take/retake enemy fortresses until one civ has conquered the other?

This is exactly what I try!!!http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140962.0

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 12:00:40 am »

Heh, Or . . .

You could do roughly the same as above but have a Time Attack mode.

Let's say There's a overall GM, right? He makes a Fortress Dungeon to challenge adventurers with. He makes it as difficult as possible, but not outright impossible. There has to be some goal for the adventurer to attain- maybe he 'wins' if he can get an artifact at the heart of the dungeon out to the surface and to another area.

Now it's the players job to take the fortress save and beat it as fast as they possibly can, and then the time is recorded on to a Leaderboard. Now it's a competitive, fun race to beat each other's times.

Yeah, yeah, and maybe to prevent cheating they have to do it live in front of spectators using a tool like Web Fortress.

YEah, okay, now I'm starting to see how it could be fun . . . 

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 12:20:10 am »

Let's say There's a overall GM, right? He makes a Fortress Dungeon to challenge adventurers with. He makes it as difficult as possible, but not outright impossible. There has to be some goal for the adventurer to attain- maybe he 'wins' if he can get an artifact at the heart of the dungeon out to the surface and to another area.

That is a really cool idea. We could even have a trophy artifact that we keep stealing and building a dwarfier museum.

Now it's the players job to take the fortress save and beat it as fast as they possibly can, and then the time is recorded on to a Leaderboard. Now it's a competitive, fun race to beat each other's times.

Yeah, yeah, and maybe to prevent cheating they have to do it live in front of spectators using a tool like Web Fortress.

YEah, okay, now I'm starting to see how it could be fun . . .

Having it on Web Fortress sounds even better, it also makes it possible so that you can have teams of people for each playable entity. :D

Then you could be like from 4pm-5pm someone from team A can work on thier forts or gather an adventuring party from their forts and attack other teams forts. 5pm-6pm its team B's turn then C etc..

This way people don't have to be around all the time but you can still work together (or not), but if people wanted really battle it out they could have their friends be on their team and coordinate a winning strategy. 8)

People can make matches with custom races, or even random ones... A Masterwork Server... Imagine the possibilities!  :o

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:44 am »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 01:02:19 am »

prize pool ☼1000000
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:27:08 am »

Oh God this is going to take longer than I had imagined.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:20:05 am »

Updated OP to include Rules, Guidelines and Explanations. Thanks to everyone who has so far shown interest.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:11:03 am »

I have tried to make a ruleset for competitive df games, you can check it out in my sig. It failed becouse I wanted too many people and waited for too long, but your idea seems to have enough interest to work.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4