- 0 (0%)
Jimmy's Fortress
- 2 (100%)
YAHG Fortress
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 31, 2014, 05:44:20 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions  (Read 4648 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 05:32:32 am »

Okay, so I'm going to start the first actual tournament sometime tomorrow. I will generate a world (in 34.11 because I'd prefer to get it started in something stable first) then upload it here with the type of tournament it will be. If you would like to join please post here saying so, so I can get an idea for how many people will be playing.

P.S If anyone would like to help me organise a prize please PM me so we can talk about it. Also if you would like to be part of the administration PM me.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »

Hehe, 'The Administration'

*Urst McDwarfAthlete decapitates a minotaur, looks at the panel*

"Argh! And still only a six from the elven judge!"
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:10:18 pm »

Hehe, 'The Administration'

*Urst McDwarfAthlete decapitates a minotaur, looks at the panel*

"Argh! And still only a six from the elven judge!"

He's harsh like that, hard to impress after thousand years he lived.
Next time, if you want a 10 , decapitate a hydra (all heads at once), with a woden shortsword, and eat the entire corpse afterwards.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:36 pm »

The link to the embark save is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NhFicKxNLEdzVHYkl0MkstSzg/edit?usp=sharing
As before if you would like to join please post. I hope you find this fun.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:49 pm »

Well, that's all good, but what the Game going to be, Gamedragon? You still haven't told us what we'll be playing once we dl it? Adventure mode time attack? Competitive Fort building? Find the forbidden Artifact?
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:45 am »

Well, that's all good, but what the Game going to be, Gamedragon? You still haven't told us what we'll be playing once we dl it? Adventure mode time attack? Competitive Fort building? Find the forbidden Artifact?
Ack, forget to mention. It is a competitive fortress building tournament I will update the OP with all the rules.
Sorry I took so long to reply just got home.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:45:05 am »

I remember another "tournament" style thread a while back.  It included various mega-project challenges.  One in particular that stood out was a combination lock that had to

A) Consist of at least 3 levers, which must be pulled in proper sequence to unlock
B) Be able to reset
C) Kill the intruder, should the combination be entered incorrectly.

I ended up using the design I made for that project in my fort in The Museum thread.  Rather than issuing the vague "Best/Happiest/Worst Fortress or Adventure Map," why not issue more specific goals and award points for style? 

"Most Creative Trap Involving Lions, Tigers, and Bears"
"Greatest Testament to Armok"
"Most Creative/Dwarfiest Dooms-Day Device"
"Wedding Crasher (Ruin a newly-married pair of dwarves wedding party in the most spectacular fashion)"

etc, etc

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 02:48:17 am »

I remember another "tournament" style thread a while back.  It included various mega-project challenges.  One in particular that stood out was a combination lock that had to

A) Consist of at least 3 levers, which must be pulled in proper sequence to unlock
B) Be able to reset
C) Kill the intruder, should the combination be entered incorrectly.

I ended up using the design I made for that project in my fort in The Museum thread.  Rather than issuing the vague "Best/Happiest/Worst Fortress or Adventure Map," why not issue more specific goals and award points for style? 

"Most Creative Trap Involving Lions, Tigers, and Bears"
"Greatest Testament to Armok"
"Most Creative/Dwarfiest Dooms-Day Device"
"Wedding Crasher (Ruin a newly-married pair of dwarves wedding party in the most spectacular fashion)"

etc, etc
As I have said before there will be different types of tournaments and if a winner is decided through points then different points for different things will be awarded and if you don't mind I will probably/definitely use these!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:38:37 am »

I like the competitive race, but how about having each Player who beats the time be allowed to re-embark and add to the dungeon for future adventurers to attempt to plunder? Win -build - win - build, ect...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:12 am »

I like the competitive race, but how about having each Player who beats the time be allowed to re-embark and add to the dungeon for future adventurers to attempt to plunder? Win -build - win - build, ect...
Um, I'm not sure you understand me. The current tournament is just that you have 7 days to build  the best fort you can there isn't any "race" as such. If you aren't talking about the current tournament please excuse me.

C'mon guys have a go this needs players!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 12:59:58 am »

I'm up for the challenge - 7 full days, 168 hours straight of nothing but awesome fortress building (well, figure maybe 40-50 hours fortress building and the rest eating/sleeping/taking care of RL distractions... so probably more like 15-20 hours... Maybe just 4-7 hours come to think of it...) but still: AWESOME FORTRESS!

note: I'd like to use the Phoebus graphics pack rather than the vanilla and also add screenshots in Stonesense and Overseer.

1st of Granite, 101st year of recorded history:
   Site: Pearlgates. 
      Seven dwarves, 10 meals of meat, five droughts of dwarven wine and five plump helmet seeds - I'm afraid we're gonna be drinking water pretty soon, guys and our patient wagon haulers, the horse and buffalo - we'll probably be calling em "stew" not long from now too.  We've embarked on a mound leading to the underworld, so not only will we need to be wary of things invading from our borders, but also creeping up from the depths as well.  However, we're dwarves, so the Deep Places hold no real fear for us - the living stone will provide our building blocks for the Great Work.  Three men, four women: all 'Champions'.

23rd Hematite, 101 (Early Summer)
   This entire spring, we've been preparing the site for the Great Work and today both relief and tragedy have struck.  Migrants have arrived to take some of the burden from our seven Champions' shoulders, but one Champion has also met his end in a mining accident.  Mr Tangakrigoth, RIP

8th of Sandstone, 101 (Early Autumn)
   The Summer has been spent in further preparation of the site, clearing out the trees and underbrush as well as laying in stockpiles for the coming winter freeze.  Today, more migrants lend their strength to our project, call the carpenter for more beds!

2nd of Granite, 102 (Early Spring)
   A year has crept by as we prepared the site to begin building our submission.  Alas, another of our original seven has shuffled off this mortal coil.  Miss Cuboronol, RIP

3rd of Granite, 102
   Mrs Fath has died of thirst today as well.  I expect Mr Fath will be mourning his dead wife for awhile - he's relieved of all labors for a season out of respect.

8th of Granite, 102
   Mrs Whipsstands has died of thirst today, though the still brims with twenty droughts of Longland beer, some still do not drink it!  Slabs and coffins are being readied for our trio of losses.  Mr Whipsstands will surely be saddened that his wife died alone doing volunteer work on the Project while he tended business at the Mountainhome.

12th of Granite, 102
   We lost Mr Izegatot today, creator of an artifact bone gauntlet depicting the appointment of Queen to Morul Lanceglides in 81.  In other news, Miss Kolistrath, another of the founding seven has been missing for a week.  We fear the worst.

19th of Slate, 102
   Though we now have over thiry droughts of beer and wine available, the spring brewing has sorely diminished our stocks of edible plants.  A call for crossbows, bolts and meat is underway, let us hope we are not too late!  Today another group of volunteers have arrived with fresh animals for the larder, we will thank them for their help and begin to stockpile stone blocks in preparation for begining the Great Work at last!

15th of Felsite, 102
   The elves have decided to send an envoy to see our Great Work.  Perhaps we can convince them to help advertise what we're doing here to the Elven peoples as well.  I'll get the stone-crafters to start carving some "memorial mugs" with something like, "I traveled all the way to Pearlgates and all I got was this lousy mug" painted on it or something.  I'm sure they'll love 'em.

28th of Felsite, 102
   As we feared, poor Miss Kolistrath has found a michief - she fell into the moat and has lain here undisturbed for many days.  Another of our founding seven lost to death.  RIP.

5th of Hematite, 102
   Mr Fath has decided to take his own life to rest in death with his late wife.  He leaves behind only his bronze crossbow and the sorrows of this world.  RIP, Mr. Fath.

2nd of Galena, 102
   More volunteers have arrived to lend their support.  The elves have agreed to bring food and drink each year in exchange for official merchandise and that should help our artists to remain well fed throughout the year.

20th of Sandstone, 102
   Another group of volunteers have arrived.  Work continues on the "eternal passage" leading out of the moat.  The idea is that invading creatures or goblins will keep cycling until they starve or spill thier brains upon the stones of the floor, leaving honest dwarves to continue the Project without interruption.

24th of Felsite, 103
   Our population has stabalized at just shy of fifty individuals.  The Project has begun being built in earnest and its foundations are coming right along.  Alas, Mrs Doranbekust Diamondurge was attacked and slain by a kobold today, leaving her young son, Ishemdastot Diamondurge, to fend for himself.  Mr Diamondurge will not be happy...

25th of Felsite, 103
   It's been confirmed: Young Ish has been kidnapped.  Just as well, I suppose.  Mr Diamondurge isn't really the "mothering" type.

4th of Timber, 103
   A Tundra Titan has decided to pay us a visit - looks like its time to lock the doors for a bit.

8th of Timber, 103
   Well, the Titan forced to doors and we had to mob it.  It's been four hectic days, but the big bug is dead and we have all sorts of chitin to use for decorations.  Miss Amaldom, one of our dwindling founders, paid her life for striking the beast down with her training sword, but she was the only casualty.  RIP, Miss Amaldom. 
Now: Back to work!

18th of Timber, 103
   The caravan from the Mountainhomes has arrived.  Maybe they'll trade some metal weapons for merchandise.  Well, who knows what could have been traded?  Our broker decided that drinking and partying was his best option.  Mr. Oddom, You're fired!

17th Obsidian, 103
   A group of hunting goblins showed up at the site today.  A few fell into the moat, a few others shot at out dwarves atop the mound and a child broke her arm dodging one of those wild bolts.  Our new broker had some medical training, so we've drafted him as "chief medic".  He says we need some tables next to beds for the medical area, so our carpenter will get him outfitted.

1st Granite, 104
   It's been an interesting year, that's for sure!  The project continues to take shape, slowly, gradually - as all great sculptures happen to do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...note:  The eternal passage only works if dwarves Don't go get stuff while the invaders are still alive! A couple idiots went to retrieve some dead goblin's stuff and were caught in the trap with the fifteen other live ones... now we'll need to bury them too. (sigh)

15th of Hematite, 104
   We were taken by surprise when a troop of goblin pike-wielders, led by a swordsmaster ambushed a squad of workmen just outside our gates.  Everyone who could, made it inside - but about half our number were trapped outside with the murderous greenskins.  Some ineffectual elves showed up and as quickly retreated, leaving us to hear the screams of half our number be butchered outside.  It drove a few of us mad, and desperate fighting broke out from within, claiming still more lives in futile horror.  More have gone catatonic, wandering dazedly about - their souls already fled but leaving their empty bodies to die on their own.  Our number is down to just twenty-five, and some in that number are gravely injured.  I fear the worst.

24th of Galena, 104
   I, Mr Aban Lolorasrer, am the last survivor of the crisis.  The goblins slew fifteen of us, and the horror of those slayings prompted twenty to succumb to the deadly misery and several more to kin-slay until only I remain, lying broken and helpless in one of the medic's beds.  I'm begining to feel the thirst acutely, so I know it won't be long until I, too join the restless haunts that swarm about.  Unless by some miracle I survive until others from the Mountainhomes can make their way here, The Project has succumbed to death before it truly had begun.

2nd of Limestone, 104
   Mr Aban Lolorasrer dies of thirst.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:44:56 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 05:31:30 am »

I'm up for the challenge - 7 full days, 168 hours straight of nothing but awesome fortress building (well, figure maybe 40-50 hours fortress building and the rest eating/sleeping/taking care of RL distractions... so probably more like 15-20 hours... Maybe just 4-7 hours come to think of it...) but still: AWESOME FORTRESS!

note: I'd like to use the Phoebus graphics pack rather than the vanilla and also add screenshots in Stonesense and Overseer.

1st of Granite, 101st year of recorded history:
   Site: Pearlgates. 
      Seven dwarves, 10 meals of meat, five droughts of dwarven wine and five plump helmet seeds - I'm afraid we're gonna be drinking water pretty soon, guys and our patient wagon haulers, the horse and buffalo - we'll probably be calling em "stew" not long from now too.  We've embarked on a mound leading to the underworld, so not only will we need to be wary of things invading from our borders, but also creeping up from the depths as well.  However, we're dwarves, so the Deep Places hold no real fear for us - the living stone will provide our building blocks for the Great Work.  Three men, four women: all 'Champions'.
Was the small amount of food and drink overkill?
Anyways thanks for posting!
I really hope no one else has posted because they are too busy playing!

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 12:53:32 am »

So no one else joining? If you don't join TimelessBob will win automatically and that's no fun! (Well it is for him)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:45 am »

All was going well, I had cleared out a farming area and I had channeled through the snow to get at the soil underneath to pasture the animals (hoping to grow some above ground crops with whatever grows there if and when it warmed up), when this giant mole came and killed one of my miners.

In vengance my men chased him around until he ran off map, but two more were wounded in the procress. With no access to water, and half a season more until the first crop of helmets, I will probably loose 2 more dwarves to dehydration..

I have started to explore the caverns in search of water, and will tap a cistern with water filtration from the above ground pools, I have no idea what biome this is though :) so they may never melt !!FUN!!

Liking it so far.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:04 pm »

I have a suggestion to change the rules of this contest a little. Every year say at the start of spring players save their fortresses and make a backup of that save. This way people who have different amounts of time on their hands or who's computers cant run huge forts can still have a way of being included with the kind of people who end up with a 200 dwarf 20 year fortress over the course of the next 5 days :)...

What do you think?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4