- 0 (0%)
Jimmy's Fortress
- 2 (100%)
YAHG Fortress
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 31, 2014, 05:44:20 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions  (Read 4642 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Tournaments/Friendly Competitions
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

I have a suggestion to change the rules of this contest a little. Every year say at the start of spring players save their fortresses and make a backup of that save. This way people who have different amounts of time on their hands or who's computers cant run huge forts can still have a way of being included with the kind of people who end up with a 200 dwarf 20 year fortress over the course of the next 5 days :)...

What do you think?

The time limit could be on in-game years as well - make it a 5-year/10-year/20-year stepped competition.
Although, my guys lasted a whopping three years, from 101 to 104, even with a good computer running it, DF is actively trying to kill you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:07:58 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 02:24:53 pm »

Well the mole came back...

After I discovered the caverns some trogodytes came out and killed all but one of my dwarves, in the chaos the mole mightave gotten more kills.

I drove the troglodytes away but then it was just the miner and the injured dwarves. Before I could get my first harvest back of plump helmets from the seeds planted when ate our food, all but the miner died of dehydration

He got some booze set up, mined out a underground plant gathering area just under the snow on the surface (incase our biome never gave us surface plants),  and was in the process of making himself a little room to cheer himself up in, when he decided to go insane...

I didn't get any migrants, it was still spring.

Did I win?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ch9xoosh54g2bn/Tournament%201.rar

also I restarted at a different location, but the cave here has kobolds in it! I propose that this be the next map in our challenge. Hopefully timeless bob will give me a rematch.

Also how the hell did you get that cool picture?!?!?!

edit: This save starts us with just a pick and an anvil, maybe the kobolds have food, if not there is always the wagon pullers :)!

edit2: I snuck all my supplies to a corner of the site and am hiding from the kobolds. That is until I am ready to take them out. I propose that Bob and anyone who can kill all kobolds by the fastest calender date is the winner for this round :)!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:43:37 pm by YAHG »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 04:00:29 am »

Cool picture courtesy of DFhack 3 or better coupled with the Fortress Overseer visualizer.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 04:04:49 am »

I suppose if you die that you can re-download the save and try again. An YAHG the idea for killing kobolds is good but I was thinking that the next tournament should be run in 40.04 just to see if it's ready for something like this.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:35 am »

I suppose if you die that you can re-download the save and try again. An YAHG the idea for killing kobolds is good but I was thinking that the next tournament should be run in 40.04 just to see if it's ready for something like this.

No arguements there :) The kobolds also ended up totally ignoring me, which was supser disapointing. I thought it was going one of the coolest embarks ever.

I found galena while I was trying to dig an alternate route to the caverns for food/fuel too :).

I think Bob wins the first round  :D by about 3 years...

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 08:41:41 am »

I was really impressed by the interesting embark, and I look forward to the next round. Also in my case fps for 40.04 isnt so great so if  you do worlds with less people/history that might be helpful for any others in my boat :).

I was able to gen a world with ~10 people a civilization and a 2 year history in adv worldgen (of course testing it with max titans didnt help the lag :)).)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:56 am »

I'm interested in participating, but have some questions.

1. What is the win condition here? You haven't clarified in your original post what you want us to do with this save you uploaded.
2. What isn't considered cheating? Examples are modifying init.txt, a file which exists outside of your uploaded save world, or using third party programs such as Dwarf Therapist. I commonly run 34.11 with temperature turned off to save FPS for example, but that requires modifying the init file.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:45 am »

I'm interested in participating, but have some questions.

1. What is the win condition here? You haven't clarified in your original post what you want us to do with this save you uploaded.
2. What isn't considered cheating? Examples are modifying init.txt, a file which exists outside of your uploaded save world, or using third party programs such as Dwarf Therapist. I commonly run 34.11 with temperature turned off to save FPS for example, but that requires modifying the init file.

I ran my fort without temperature or weather, also for FPS. Both of us died last round, I figure since Bob lasted so much longer and got more done he is probably the winner, I understood the rule was to impress Gamedragon. I had a plan in mind for my fortress but I am saving it for next round.

I didn't use digv but I did use mousequery.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 01:59:55 pm »

I used vanilla DF with everything activated, but my laptop is only 3-4 years old, so it has enough RAM to handle that.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 11:00:24 pm »

Right now I'm on Summer, Year 2 of the fort. I've removed the central spire, clear cut the whole forest and burned it into charcoal, and have a population of 44. I nearly have enough steel to start outfitting my military with full armor and weapons. No artifacts yet, and I've only penetrated 5 z-levels down so haven't breached the caverns yet. I'll see how far I get by the 29th.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 07:47:39 pm »

So I didn't get enough time to do more than dig a few holes in the dirt, but the map itself is interesting enough that I'll probably continue to play it myself. I only managed to get to Year 3 and haven't equipped more than half a dozen dwarves with steel since I'm low on wood for the furnaces. The farms generate sufficient food to feed the fortress and enough traps and generous surface construction projects mean the goblins aren't too much of a threat. Of course it's a boring way to defend a fortress but until my military is equipped I don't feel it's worth the risk of tantrums to let them die needlessly.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »

Well since you are the only one left alive, your prolly gonna win :))

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »

40.05 looks pretty stable.  Also, Phoebus has released a graphics pack for it, which is pretty cool too.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 11:02:21 pm »

Since today is the last day the winner will be decided by poll in the next day. The winner will win a game although I'm not sure what game it will be.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:19:39 am by Gamedragon »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16:23 am »

Since today is the last day the winner will be decided by poll in the next day. The winner will receive a game althoug I'm not sure which.

Give em 40.05
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4