Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.04 Released  (Read 48090 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.04 Released
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:13 am »

(*) Babies don't start strapped with a knife

How would one manifest this "bug"?

Probably in adventure mode, where many people have knives.

Xeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:14 am »

About save compatibility...

Got some minor bugs after converting mature 40.0.3 fort to 40.0.4 version mostly related to storage settings

Some storage places lost links to workshops, and some storage with combined individual settings (for example weapons + furniture with exact type and quality selected) get total missmatch, hauling urists started to put everything on it no matters what was in settings.

Hopefully, delete bugged storage and recreate them was enough to solve problems so far.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 10:10:24 am »

I think the sapling survivability is fixed (yay!) but doesn't check itself against the native biome (boo!).  Thus, if saplings are permitted in the region, it quickly becomes thickly forested no matter what the original biome setting was due to:

1) super fast tree repops
2) higher sapling survival rates
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:45 am »

I think the sapling survivability is fixed (yay!) but doesn't check itself against the native biome (boo!).  Thus, if saplings are permitted in the region, it quickly becomes thickly forested no matter what the original biome setting was due to:

well yes, that's something to be fixed, althought it makes for some nice exploits, specially if you depend heavily in wood, but yeah, that's not the idea if you're playing in a harsh biome anyways...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »

How did I miss a release? Gotta stay focused.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:12 pm »

Hmm, I seem to have two issues here.

Consistent crash across 40.03 and 40.04
Zoned a hospital before there were any beds. Injured dwarf crawled to the hospital zone and sat in the corner. Built a couple hospital beds, but no one will move him to one. They feed and water and diagnose him, but if you toggle surgery labor on someone and they attempt to fix his poor broken liver, he teleports to a hospital table and the game crashes. Every single time. If no one attempts surgery, the game is fine. If anyone else needs surgery soon, I'll have to wall him off and let him die.  :-\

EDIT: Just found this one on the bug tracker. Wasn't there when I started writing this, sorry.

Second issue is really WEIRD (and awesome) and might be a save compatibility problem?
Transferred my 40.03 save to 40.04, and now tower-caps and fungiwood saplings in dirt rooms are growing and punching through the ceiling!  :o  Cut them down early enough, there's a single hole. If they grow even just a little bit of mushroom cap before cutting them down, then there's a huge hole about 5-6 tiles in diameter to the sunlit surface above! People were trying to sleep in the temporary dormitories and I quickly threw wood flooring over the hole. Then another one broke the surface, and another one, and another one... I couldn't keep up! It was hilarious! Finally, I resorted to flooring over the dirt wherever there were growing saplings and they died and it stopped. WHEW! LOL But, I guess that means I won't be having an underground pasture in this fort anytime soon.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:13:18 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 05:47:23 pm »

Second issue is really WEIRD (and awesome) and might be a save compatibility problem?
Transferred my 40.03 save to 40.04, and now tower-caps and fungiwood saplings in dirt rooms are growing and punching through the ceiling!  :o  Cut them down early enough, there's a single hole. If they grow even just a little bit of mushroom cap before cutting them down, then there's a huge hole about 5-6 tiles in diameter to the sunlit surface above! People were trying to sleep in the temporary dormitories and I quickly threw wood flooring over the hole. Then another one broke the surface, and another one, and another one... I couldn't keep up! It was hilarious! Finally, I resorted to flooring over the dirt wherever there were growing saplings and they died and it stopped. WHEW! LOL But, I guess that means I won't be having an underground pasture in this fort anytime soon.  ;D

OK, I just had a three-story Tower-cap punch it's way up out of a fire clay floored storage area into the sunlight, and thought I was crazy.  Maybe this is a just new potential danger associated with tree-farming. ;)   

EDIT:  possibly because the Z-levels are off by 3 now.  The top of the Tower-cap claims to be at Z-1, even though it is 2 levels above the surface.  The Z-level shift seems to be localized to areas that have constructions of some type (near workshops or buildings...).  Putting in a Mantis ticket for further analysis.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:55:06 pm by MisterB777 »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »

I'm getting lots of tree collapses on the surface. Trying to narrow down the cause so I can make a proper report.
I wonder if the constructed wall-top fix has screwed something up somehow with cave-ins, or if you got an unpleasant map.

A number of collapse bugs have been collected here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6704

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »

Does this count as a bug fix, or as a feature removal?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »

EDIT:  possibly because the Z-levels are off by 3 now.  The top of the Tower-cap claims to be at Z-1, even though it is 2 levels above the surface.  The Z-level shift seems to be localized to areas that have constructions of some type (near workshops or buildings...).  Putting in a Mantis ticket for further analysis.

I'm confused.  What does "claims to be at Z-1" mean?  Is there some user interface for querying objects and getting their (X, Y, Z) coordinates that I'm not aware of?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 11:26:58 pm »

I'm confused.  What does "claims to be at Z-1" mean?  Is there some user interface for querying objects and getting their (X, Y, Z) coordinates that I'm not aware of?

There's the Z-level indicator on in the top right corner of the screen of Fortress Mode, along the right edge, under the indicator for the moon phase.  If you hit 'k' to get the cursor and scroll around the screen, that indicator will change the number and colour (red for underground, green for aboveground) as you move around looking at things (especially if your are in a region with lots of elevation changes). 

So, I'm scrolling along the surface and the indicator goes from "0" to "-3" for no apparent reason (no buildings, no digging in those areas).  If I move the cursor up to the top of the Tower-cap, which is two Z-levels above the visible surface, the indicator says "-1".  Which is weird.

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 01:40:16 am »

well yes, that's something to be fixed, althought it makes for some nice exploits, specially if you depend heavily in wood, but yeah, that's not the idea if you're playing in a harsh biome anyways...

I was amazed at HOW FAST the trees regrows now.
Currently I need to clean the "fortress entrance" and ground level at least TWICE per year...

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 02:03:53 am »

Trees are also smashing through my glass ceiling, which, while inspirational, is getting a little annoying.

I do love these trees though, Toady; the world looks so much better, and I enjoy being able to see from high above my cleared areas. Looks like a proper village.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 03:52:02 am »

Update on Tree Growth

Footkerchief, I believe this is a different, additional problem. Saplings are growing and punching through ceilings in 40.04 only, whereas the collapse issues have been persistent. This has nothing to do with mining, roots, branches, or rocks falling. There is no collapse announcement. There is just suddenly a tree in my hospital and the hospital now has a 6 tile diameter skylight without warning.

Started a new world in 40.04 and the underground trees are punching through my fort everywhere by Autumn, so it's NOT a save compatibility issue as I first thought. I really doubt this is intended behavior, because there's no way to stop it from happening before they grow and break the surface. You can't pluck them before they grow, so an underground pasture is out of the question.

Also, new above-ground trees are also growing everywhere like thick jungle, when my biome is supposed to be medium woodland. The elves are going to be royally pissed at me for all the tree cutting I have to do just to keep my fort from becoming overgrown.  :D

This was an incredibly amusing day of bug hunting! Think I'll wait a few more versions before making another fort, though.  :P

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 04:55:07 am »

I am going stark raving what.

Still born with a full beard  8)
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4