Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Oh my. Tower caps and the likes pierce ceilings and leave holes.  (Read 14407 times)

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh my. Tower caps and the likes pierce ceilings and leave holes.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »

Am I the only guy who regularly paves his underground soil layers that aren't specifically designed for farming?  I never did like random moss and such growing all over my nice uniform soil tiles.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

The most annoying part is that I now need to dig -what is it? 5?-  z-levels deep pits if I want to keep grazing livestock inside my fortress :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »

Artificial caverns for tree farming sounds like a totally dwarven thing to do. Rock on!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 09:14:12 pm »

The most annoying part is that I now need to dig -what is it? 5?-  z-levels deep pits if I want to keep grazing livestock inside my fortress :P

9 to be safe - Fungiwood and Tunnel Tubes grow to 8 z-levels according to the raws.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »

The good thing about artificial caverns is that they aren't infested with wildlife unless you set said wildlife loose yourself. So the bigger you can dig them, the more material you can safely get. Besides, the higher the trees/shrooms can get, the more logs you can get from each job done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:24 am »

They need to stop growing upwards when they reach stone, Im sure Toady will end up doing this...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:36 am »

Am I the only guy who regularly paves his underground soil layers that aren't specifically designed for farming?  I never did like random moss and such growing all over my nice uniform soil tiles.
Nope, me too. Churning out blocks and paving soil floors = good mason training
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:22 pm »

They need to stop growing upwards when they reach stone, Im sure Toady will end up doing this...

Arguably, growing up through stone is a feature, not a bug.  Real-life plants will eventually bust through stone.  It just takes a little while longer than 0.40.04 takes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:41 pm »

I never bothered because generally when I'm setting up my crafting area, I'm trying to get stuff dug and set up ASAP with the starter kit 7... I don't have the dwarfpower available for this sort of "mini-mega" project.  I usually pop the first cavern within a few months of arrival just to see where they are and what's down there.

FWIW, my crafting area is usually a giant open square centered on a 3x3 stair stack with sorted stockpiles; central square is surrounded by 3x4 craftrooms with doors.  This lets all the stoneworkers get access to the stone pile, etc. while still letting me wall off failed moods easily.

Trying to pave that would be a PITA.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »

For those who haven't noticed, Toady just fixed http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7535, so hopefully this won't be as much of a problem in 0.40.05.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3]