Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Double slit..  (Read 3114 times)

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Double slit..
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:47 am »

A circular mine cart route and then a second one that fire into the mien cart travelling along the circular track at just the right instance? 

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:56:17 am »

Oh... Now I feel so dumb, but I thought I had one steped it..

Limestone... = no aquifer huh?

Yup. Limestone doesn't support aquifers.....

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 01:03:26 pm »

*FacePalm*

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:15 am »

Yep... If you're using DFhack you can use the command autounsuspend start, which will automatically unsuspend the jobs. If you can't or wont use DFhack, then you just have to manually unsuspend, again and again and again.

If you want to see the process in action, then check the video in my link. Albeit I do it pretty fast. But you can see it does definitely work :).

Dfhack works with the new version now?

*happydance*

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 01:52:00 am »

Not yet, sadly. But some people are still playing .34, and sooner or later DFhack will come.

If you have the technique right suspends aren't a big deal. After doing double slit for about 6 months I even figured out another trick for reducing suspends - it's all about the order you dig tiles out in and stuff. Here is the optimal order, it's better than the order given in the wiki article and there is probably no possible improvement upon it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the final layer, unless it is smoothable rock, you will be forced to endure quite a few suspensions, but the pain can be reduced if you make a minimal staircase (1x1 or 1x2) and establish a cavern drain for any further aquifer work.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:22:00 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 05:12:35 am »

Yep... If you're using DFhack you can use the command autounsuspend start, which will automatically unsuspend the jobs. If you can't or wont use DFhack, then you just have to manually unsuspend, again and again and again.

If you want to see the process in action, then check the video in my link. Albeit I do it pretty fast. But you can see it does definitely work :).

Tried autounsuspend start but dfhack says this is an unknown command.. :(

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12:30 am »

Not yet, sadly. But some people are still playing .34, and sooner or later DFhack will come.

If you have the technique right suspends aren't a big deal. After doing double slit for about 6 months I even figured out another trick for reducing suspends - it's all about the order you dig tiles out in and stuff. Here is the optimal order, it's better than the order given in the wiki article and there is probably no possible improvement upon it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the final layer, unless it is smoothable rock, you will be forced to endure quite a few suspensions, but the pain can be reduced if you make a minimal staircase (1x1 or 1x2) and establish a cavern drain for any further aquifer work.

I'm trying to follow the sequence you put there, but I may have messed up, so I'm pumping east to west to begin with.  I do the two tiles in step one with only a couple of suspends, then I move to do the next two tiles in stage two, meaning to do all four before switching the pump over to pump west to east as I saw no reason why this should be a problem. 

I got the eastern wall built (both of them)  but the southern most one never gets lower than depth 3?  Have I messed up?  should I do stage one in the west slit and then come back to this wall then stage two in the west slit?

Edit: Also I thought you couldn't constuct walls via a diagonal!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:14:26 am by MoridinUK »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 12:17:27 pm »

Edit: Also I thought you couldn't constuct walls via a diagonal!

What Panando is doing there is extremely subtle.  There has to be a non-diagonal tile next to the wall to order its construction, but the dwarf doesn't necessarily have to stand there.

Leave the central 4 tiles undug, and dig out the two tiles that will be walls and order walls in those spaces. (High chance of suspensions)
Dwarves can only complete 1 wall in each space because the completed wall will block the uncompleted wall.

Let's break this down in ASCII.  Here's the area with 8 walls constructed:

Code: [Select]
.%%%%%%.
%%#12#%%
%#X%%X#%
%#X%%X#%
%%#34#%%
.%%%%%%.

1, 2, 3, 4 are the spots Panando marked for digging + wall construction.  After digging it all out, you can order a wall to be constructed in those spots, because each one has an empty tile next to it.  (Spot 1 has empty tile 2; spot 3 has empty file 4; and vice versa.)

When it comes time to actually build the wall in spot #1, the dwarf can stand on the X (stairwell) which is southwest of spot 1.  As long as spot #2 remains open, the wall can actually be constructed from any direction.

Once a wall has been built in spot #1, the wall in spot #2 can no longer be worked on, because there is no open spot next to it (non-diagonally).  That's what Panando means by "Dwarves can only complete 1 wall in each space because the completed wall will block the uncompleted wall."
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 04:51:51 am »

ah I get it... still cant see how he does it without some suspends... it's such a drag!  I think I have a cavern drain, just waiting for my dwarfs to finish hauling out a little silver I found then I can flood it!
Pages: 1 [2]