Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: [0.43.05] ✫ DF Wanderer ✫ (R21): Taffer's update/merge /w Modest Mod in 1stpost.  (Read 140660 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

I really need to post my WF derivative sometime. @_@

Among other things, it has a hax to get around the gauntlet bug, and a hack for the "can't poison weapons" issue.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

The OP doesn't mention allowing the player to make waterskins, is that the case? Because certain adventurer starts don't spawn with a liquid-storage container, and it'd be nice to have the ability to make your own.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Odd, as most WF derivatives have that recipe. Even mine. Hell, it's a key part of the solution to the poison weapons issue.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I'm sure Wanderer includes flasks, I based the concept of Wanderlust around it originally.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

Plus is a fairly basic thing to have.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Exactly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Finally got around to installing this, pretty fun.

Also, encountered a crash on worldgen. I have no idea what caused it, but this is the first time I've see that happen, so I felt that a place related to this mod was the best place to post a report. Do with it what you will.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

To be honest DF crashes can happen even without mods, and I do notice that they come up with any mods as well.
Unfortunately since I don't have a source code of DF, even running a trace won't tell me which paging operation of whatever crashed it... And since it was on MacBook, it's even worse :D.

I do hope that you don't run into more of these. If you notice some repeatable pattern, please share. I haven't crashed with this mod once yet, but I am on Windows 10.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The OP doesn't mention allowing the player to make waterskins, is that the case? Because certain adventurer starts don't spawn with a liquid-storage container, and it'd be nice to have the ability to make your own.
Actually backpacks are pretty good waterskins :D.

But you do make a point, I will add that shortly, thank you.

This is awesome mod Deon! But why I can't craft chain mail shirt and leggins,gauntlets and boots?
Well, what we have here is "break stuff into chunks, smelt chunks, forge armor out of smelt chunks". Chainmail making is a very complex process (I tried it IRL) and you cannot just make a proper chainmail in the field.

For gamey purposes though I can add that in, that would be trivial.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:59:00 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

As for gauntlets and boots, I hear there's a bug with that. Though It'd be nice if you could render them for chunks of metal. Maybe add a misc items tab in the breakdown section?

Backpacks are too good at being waterskins. I prefer being able to move after filling up on water, plus I just use the infinipuddle bug to not run out of water, so I don't need much long-term storage.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile

As for gauntlets and boots, I hear there's a bug with that. Though It'd be nice if you could render them for chunks of metal. Maybe add a misc items tab in the breakdown section?

Gauntlets, yeah. Boots however don't have a "left foot, right foot" distinction to cause glorious bugs. ;A;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Gauntlets, yeah. Boots however don't have a "left foot, right foot" distinction to cause glorious bugs. ;A;
Yes, that's why there is no gloves/gauntlents sewing/forging reaction. But if I remember correctly, there's a DFHack module which fixes that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

DarthAgnan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Registered just so I could write here. So, first of all, thank you so much for such a nice mod that greatly enhances adventuring in DF! I played with it for around a month now and have a few questions and suggestions:
1) When I downloaded it I found that it comes with the game attached... and I use LNP, so it took me a while to merge them and make it work properly. Could you tell which files were modified (and how much if that's not hard) so it is easier for people to install/merge/modify it?
2) I liked some of the changes beside crafting, for example the reduction of pain from bone fractures, but I'm not sure if I like the other changes, like the bow being so weak that you can throw arrows further than shooting them. Is it possible to make those changes optional? Maybe include a guide how to reverse the changes for those who didn't/doesn't want them?
3) It seems that usage of this mod caused some errors with Legends Viewer (it crashes when you look up your adventurers; might be caused by "masterwork" crafts, or maybe by additional skills, such as alchemy, I have no idea) and World Viewer (which crashes while initializing). Those are nice tools that I like to use with my worlds... is it possible to make them compatible? Do you know what might be causing the problems there?
4) Additional portable tools (like smelting pit) work well, but is there a way to set up crafting using actual workshops through "u" key? I know that "adventure fortress" makes it possible to build and use workshops through DFHack, but that's pretty crude way to do it. Also, do you know if it is even possible to implement cutting trees in adventure mode without using DFHack? That would be so cool to be able to use logs from chopped-down tree in a workshop to make that bow just like the dwarves would in fortress mode!
5) There are a few things I noticed while using this mod:
  a) A few minor text errors. For example, "carve bone bracelet (knife + stick)" or "carve bone bow (knife + 2 sticks + leather)".
  b) If you click on headlines (like "+-- Crafting Tools --+") nothing really happens, but it still uses/trains knapping?
  c) Decorating do not seem to take into account the skill. You never "make anything of note" and do not train your bone-carving despite it saying that you do. Speaking of, is there a limit on how many improvements you can add?
  d) Charcoal doesn't get consumed while both smelting and forging. When you decorate with bones and use a skull as a bone material, the skull does not get consumed.
  e) Chunks of metal can be of varying quality, because they are considered tool items, not metal bars. This causes lots of "masterwork metal chunks" if your skill is high enough, which is kind of bizarre; also this spams legends. Why didn't you use bars instead?
  f) You can not break into chunks a lot of things, shields for example. Is it possible to make items breakable into chunks if they are made out of metal (the way that you can break general weapons, not just "short swords") instead of itemized "breastplates" and "mailshirts"? This would make those useless metal toys and bracelets useful as a source of metal.
  g) You can make items that require multiple ingredients out of various materials and the resulting item will be made of the first material. This means that you can make steel breastplate out of one steel chunk and two copper chunks, and then break it into two steel chunks.
  h) "Weapon smith" and "bonecarving", etc. used for making arrows and bows, while the "bower" skill is not used at all.
  i) You can smith hundreds of swords in a second, but it would take months in fortress mode... is it possible to add time to the reactions to make it a bit more realistic?
  j) Some items, such as crowns, can basically be made out of any material, even hair. Is it possible to make an option to, for example, "make a crown" that gives you an option to chose between bones, teeth, logs, chunks, even leaves, etc. as an ingredient? Yea, I know that the tool/workshop used would be different, but if instead of knife and mallet you use "crown crafting tools set" as a generalized tool for all the materials?
  k) DFHack gui enhancement showing the material qualities seem to show that suede is better than leather or hide, despite what it says in the description to the mod. Speaking of, how exactly is hide or scale better than say leather?
  l) It seems that you do not need to create a new world for this mod to work properly; you also seem to be able to keep playing the worlds after deleting this mod without problems. Am I right?
  m) Is there a way to separate the stacks of bones? If no, then is it possible to make the same stack usable for multiple ingredient crafts, such as bone arrows, which right now requires 5 separate stacks of bones?
6) For my adventuring I use a script for DFHack that allows you to see your adventurer's numeric stats/limits. I can not find a way to check the sizes of both adventurer and enemies... I mean, that would be great to know that that hamster thing you are about to wrestle is 10 times of your size. Is there a way to implement it? This certainly would enhance the adventuring experiences.
7) Now, this is a dream, but do you know if it is possible to add some kind of first aid/medicine into adventuring? Maybe something similar to those balms? Thats kinda sad to defeat that dragon just to see your adventurer bleed to death from a crushed toe... How about balms to grow your lost leg back? Seriously, who wouldn't try to kill a titan for that?!

Again, thank you so much for a great mod! I hope my feedback will help you make it even better.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

I pretty much agree with all of the above.

E; Also, here's Deon's unconventional installation guide.

Just grab the following folders from the mod archive and replace the original ones:

/data/art/
/data/init/
/data/speech/
/raw/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:07:14 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

1) When I downloaded it I found that it comes with the game attached... and I use LNP, so it took me a while to merge them and make it work properly. Could you tell which files were modified (and how much if that's not hard) so it is easier for people to install/merge/modify it?
Thanks to Amperzand, the info is written above.

2) I liked some of the changes beside crafting, for example the reduction of pain from bone fractures, but I'm not sure if I like the other changes, like the bow being so weak that you can throw arrows further than shooting them. Is it possible to make those changes optional? Maybe include a guide how to reverse the changes for those who didn't/doesn't want them?
I will review the bow strength for the next release. You can just replace the bow in items_weapons in this mod with the one from vanilla if you want it right now.

3) It seems that usage of this mod caused some errors with Legends Viewer (it crashes when you look up your adventurers; might be caused by "masterwork" crafts, or maybe by additional skills, such as alchemy, I have no idea) and World Viewer (which crashes while initializing). Those are nice tools that I like to use with my worlds... is it possible to make them compatible? Do you know what might be causing the problems there?
That is strange because this mod has only vanilla raws/reactions, nothing from dfhack or anything else that could affect the game. I will check that, thanks for the report.

4) Additional portable tools (like smelting pit) work well, but is there a way to set up crafting using actual workshops through "u" key? I know that "adventure fortress" makes it possible to build and use workshops through DFHack, but that's pretty crude way to do it. Also, do you know if it is even possible to implement cutting trees in adventure mode without using DFHack? That would be so cool to be able to use logs from chopped-down tree in a workshop to make that bow just like the dwarves would in fortress mode!
My old Genesis mod has advfort tinkered and included, for proper workshop making, wood chopping etc. However you may have noticed that even with vanilla raw modifications the game becomes sometimes weird with external tools and/or crashes. That's the current state of the game, and with DFHack some people could not even play (some people play fine, some crash immediately), so I decided to go with  "lite" version, without DFHack. You cannot chop trees without advfort, that's why I added harvestable twigs to the trees.

5) There are a few things I noticed while using this mod:
  a) A few minor text errors. For example, "carve bone bracelet (knife + stick)" or "carve bone bow (knife + 2 sticks + leather)".
  b) If you click on headlines (like "+-- Crafting Tools --+") nothing really happens, but it still uses/trains knapping?
  c) Decorating do not seem to take into account the skill. You never "make anything of note" and do not train your bone-carving despite it saying that you do. Speaking of, is there a limit on how many improvements you can add?
  d) Charcoal doesn't get consumed while both smelting and forging. When you decorate with bones and use a skull as a bone material, the skull does not get consumed.
  e) Chunks of metal can be of varying quality, because they are considered tool items, not metal bars. This causes lots of "masterwork metal chunks" if your skill is high enough, which is kind of bizarre; also this spams legends. Why didn't you use bars instead?
  f) You can not break into chunks a lot of things, shields for example. Is it possible to make items breakable into chunks if they are made out of metal (the way that you can break general weapons, not just "short swords") instead of itemized "breastplates" and "mailshirts"? This would make those useless metal toys and bracelets useful as a source of metal.
Charcoal uses only part of a bar. Use it many times, and it will be gone.
Chunks are there to replace bars, because vanilla adv. reactions are weird with bars. If you specify 150 amount of bars (1 bar), it will want 151, so it will ask for a bar and 1/150 of another bar. The reason why I specified that this and that can be torn into that many chunks, is to differ the amount of chunks you get from different items. I can make a generic reaction for "other" stuff as well. The headers are there to make it easier to navigate the menu; and the weirdness with skills during decorating is hardcoded.

g) You can make items that require multiple ingredients out of various materials and the resulting item will be made of the first material. This means that you can make steel breastplate out of one steel chunk and two copper chunks, and then break it into two steel chunks.
  h) "Weapon smith" and "bonecarving", etc. used for making arrows and bows, while the "bower" skill is not used at all.
I did not think of this exploit, but you can exploit adv. mode in many other ways, so I don't consider this critical. I only use the first material for the "main" part of the armor during crafting, which can be changed but I remember there were other issues which made me go this way.
The skill decisions were by the material type, if that does not fit you I can tell you how to change it.

i) You can smith hundreds of swords in a second, but it would take months in fortress mode... is it possible to add time to the reactions to make it a bit more realistic?
Only workshops use "time", reactions do not :(.

I am running off to work, I will answer other questions later. THanks a lot for the great feedback!!!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25