Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting low FPS  (Read 1371 times)

Onipower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Getting low FPS
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:43:32 pm »

Hello, i have been playing dwarf fortress since 1 year, but im new to the forums anyways, i have a little problem and i was wondering if someone could help me, basically on 0.34 i was able to play normally getting 60 fps on every fortress i ever maded (idk if that matters but, i used to play with a graphic mod, now i downloaded the new version and im playing it vanilla). I've already tried a few things, like modifying the init file but nothing seems to help, perhaps i did it bad...? Anyways, would someone like to help me? and ty.

Also: Excuse my english, it is not my main languague.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting low FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »

I assume you are playing fort mode, are you still on your very first fort in this version?

'world gen' now continues during fort mode as well, although a lot slower of course, which does take a big hit on fps. So you might not want to play on a giant world with thousands of years of history.

Something that occurred to me yesterday; what if your underground cavern has a lot of water and a passage to the next level, while the passage starts flooded. not sure if its possible at all, but if such would happen I can imagine it destroying fps.

Onipower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:54:01 pm »

I assume you are playing fort mode, are you still on your very first fort in this version?

'world gen' now continues during fort mode as well, although a lot slower of course, which does take a big hit on fps. So you might not want to play on a giant world with thousands of years of history.

Something that occurred to me yesterday; what if your underground cavern has a lot of water and a passage to the next level, while the passage starts flooded. not sure if its possible at all, but if such would happen I can imagine it destroying fps.
Ohhh then thats why... ty, im playing in the current version and lets say i maded a really big world xD, ill make another one and try to play on that one, if i still get low fps ill post another reply

Onipower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:55 pm »

Ok, im getting 60-120 fps now, witch makes it playable, anyways i think it will get worse later, can anyone give me a few tips for getting better fps when i get 50+ dwarves? Also i have a question wich fps matter? because i have 119 <<49>> what does the <<49>> means?...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:17:31 pm by Onipower »

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:27 pm »

Ok, im getting 60-70 fps now, witch makes it playable, anyways i think it will get worse later, can anyone give me a few tips for getting better fps when i get 50+ dwarves?
Make sure to slaughter any and all excess animals. These can take a huge hit on FPS. Also, the less moving water the better.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Onipower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »

Thanks for the fast replies, but ugh, im getting 46 <<46>> fps now, idk why, my world size is "small", anyways when i pause the game or get to the main screen i get 100 <<80>> fps, (btw can someone explain me what the <<>> number is?)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »

Thanks for the fast replies, but ugh, im getting 46 <<46>> fps now, idk why, my world size is "small", anyways when i pause the game or get to the main screen i get 100 <<80>> fps, (btw can someone explain me what the <<>> number is?)

I believe it's the graphical fps. Not sure what the difference is, but that's what it is.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:50 pm »

The first number, the FPS, is the number of game ticks that occur each second. This determines how fast time passes in fort mode, for example.
The second number, the graphical refresh rate, is how many times the game screen is updating each second.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Onipower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:21 pm »

Oh, ok, ty, can someone help me to raise my fps?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:26:53 pm »

The new version of the game is still extremely buggy. Toady is fixing the bugs prioritizing the most serious crash inducing bugs first. The big FPS draining pathing bugs and optimization are also pretty high up on his to do list so I would expect that over the next few weeks we'll start to see some performance improvements as Toad finishes up with the big crash causing bugs.

In the mean time things you can do to keep your FPS healthy include generating smaller worlds with shorter histories. Decreasing the embark size and population cap will also help. Kill or chase away all flying creatures on your map as fliers are even more buggy than they were in past versions and can cause massive FPS decreases and even full blown crashes. Assuming you aren't playing in an evil or water scarce biome where the weather matters, you can turn off the weather. Avoid using bins in your stock piles. Bins continue to be buggy and generally will degrade FPS and dwarven efficiency. Large bodies of moving water also put a load on FPS so embarks with features like large waterfalls will also slow the game a bit. Those are the main things that can be easily changed that will help FPS.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:40:48 pm by Melting Sky »