Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Now my dwarves don't use their weapons at all anymore (40.04)  (Read 5346 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now my dwarves don't use their weapons at all anymore (40.04)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 07:20:09 pm »

Are their weapons strapped to their torso or something? Maybe they can't figure out how to draw them again?

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 07:27:44 pm »

I'm having the same problem. They have swords in their hands, but all they do is wrestle, and fist fight.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 08:24:28 pm »

sic em' on the wildlife or elves to see if they start using their weapons. seems like there's a sparring bug in either case.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:42 pm »

So for now create squads of one so they slowly train in weapons and discipline, and sic them on wildlife when you think they're willing to fight.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »

At least going by arena testing, actual combat appears to use weapons much more frequently, where in .40.03 it was more wrestling than weapons.  Sparring mode is mostly wrestling and striking, though. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:45:06 pm by samanato »

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:28 pm »

Is it any different on a fresh fort?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 10:30:48 pm »

Well for the moment dangerrooms should handle the training problem nicely, as weapon skill development in a dangerroom comes from parrying.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 12:46:08 am »

Perhaps training weapons must be used now? I assume everyone has real weapons equipped.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 12:48:34 am »

My current fort was genned in 40.04. Having the same basic issues: Dwarves are perfectly willing to use weapons in actual combat, but never use them while sparring.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 02:02:17 am »

In adventure mode at least people are back to using their weapon most of the time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 02:17:01 am »

Funny detail. While sparring with their fists, Urist Mcstomp named his spear. He didn't use it, yet he named it :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 03:24:57 am »

I think it's kinda unrealistic to have dwarves pulping other humanoids by punching them through their armor though. Totally metal and awesome, but unrealistic.

now i really want to play this new version. Dwarf Fortress Wuxia ?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:17 pm »

Well . . . in the old days it was dumb to use training weapons because your dwarves would become attached to them and never stop using them. If Toady strips that possibility from training weapons and rearranges sparring so it can't be done with real weapons, then there'd be a reason to run training weapons.

Especially if you can store them in weapon racks in barracks and have multiple dwarves use them for training sessions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 10:31:55 pm »

I actually miss having the occasional accidental disembowelment.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »

Well . . . in the old days it was dumb to use training weapons because your dwarves would become attached to them and never stop using them. If Toady strips that possibility from training weapons and rearranges sparring so it can't be done with real weapons, then there'd be a reason to run training weapons.
It's honestly not that hard to override attachment. Just issue a dwarf a 'specific weapon' and you're done. (You need to do that anyway to assign artifact weapons to military). I'm not sure but setting the uniform to exact match and 'steel weapon' (or whatever) would probably also do it (I'll try and confirm this).
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3