Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exponential animal population growth  (Read 1116 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exponential animal population growth
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:30 am »

So I had decided to kill off all of a world's civilizations in adventure mode. It was going pretty well, I had almost killed off all the humans and went to visit the world's dwarf fortress. After killing several dwarves in the entrance I descended to the forge area where I could hear a large group of people. I went to explore the other direction, which caused a new area to load. However, when I returned to the area with the large group the game suddenly slowed to a crawl, with it taking 20 seconds or more for me to move a single tile. I retired when I went to look at the world's new population, I noticed something odd. Each tame animal in the dwarven fortress had a population of 374. After that, any attempt to visit the fortress would result in the game crashing, probably because of this:

3: R¨thar•nul, "Trammelmirrored", fortress
   Owner: The Lone Rock, dwarves
   Parent Civ: The Savage Trumpets, dwarves
   67 dwarves
   215892 dogs
   215892 cats
   215892 mules
   215892 donkeys
   215892 horses
   215892 cows
   215892 pigs
   215892 chickens
   215892 cavies
   215892 ducks
   215892 geese
   215892 llamas
   215892 alpacas
   215892 guineafowls
   215892 blue peafowls
   215892 turkeys
   215892 rabbits
   4 dwarf outcasts

As you can see, a bug is causing the tame animal populations to increase wildly. Animal populations in other sites are normal. I see that the changelog for 40.04 lists a bug fix for civilized animal populations, but obviously the issue hasn't been entirely dealt with. This world was generated fresh in the latest version.

A quick test with another new world yielded the same bug in another dwarven fortress, at least insofar as the animal populations were all the same. I did not test to see if they increased.

If this hasn't been reported (or re-reported) already I'd appreciate it if someone more familiar with the bugtracker would do that for me.
Here is the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9111
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Exponential animal population growth
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:15:14 am »

You should post your save in the bugthread.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7154
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.