Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: money  (Read 683 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
money
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »

Just a basic system, but when your fortress mints a coin, your fortress has access to a money menu.  Basically, it just tells you how much money you have and how much the gems are worth in your fortress. The coin is not actually made, but the money value goes up by one. A gold bar makes maybe 20 coins?
This way you don't have to always craft stuff to trade with, and you wouldn't be keeping track of thousands of coins.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: money
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:56:01 pm »

Thoughts:

1) If the coin isn't made, then how are you trading with it??
2) If you meant that the gems would get traded for their coin worth, then why is that any different than just trading gems in the current system?

A menu that tells you how much your gems are worth would be mildly nice, I guess. But I don't see anything special about gems, and would suggest a menu that simply tells you how much ANY subsection of your stockpiles are worth, with a bookkeeper, as far as that goes.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:00 pm »

I'm pretty certain there was dwarven coinage economy way back when (40d?), but was horrendously broken
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »

You can still mint coins. You shouldn't though. Not because Dorfs can't use them. They certainty can. But it has to do with the Stacking Issue, that DF still hasn't resolved. What happens, is that individual coins are struck, then they get stack into groups of coins.

And stacking, and counting, and moving coins become Hauling nightmare. Which then bogs down the game with useless jobs, and due to the explosion in Item Count, also bogs down FPS. (Remember kids, its Item Count and Reveal Tiles that slow DF down.)

As for knowing your Fortress Wealth, that in the 'z' menu but you'll need a Broker with the Appraise skill to and exacting inventories to know for certain. Though thats for every item inside your Fortress, not just crafted items sitting in Stockpiles.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »

the dwarven economy is coming back eventually, and I'm sure coins will be plenty useful at that time. 
A money screen sounds good though, and when the dwarven economy is back it could show all sorts of information, like dwarves ordered in list of wealth, unemployment, and all sort of things
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:07 am »

I wasn't around during the olden days of 40d. What was the problem with the economy back then?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:56:24 am »

The olden days of 40d, psssh. Has it really been so long? >.>

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:02 am »

I wasn't around during the olden days of 40d. What was the problem with the economy back then?
The coin issue, I just described. It made it none functional. Though funny enough, the system ran just fine based all on credit.

Beyond that, Haulers were too poor. They got one DB buck per item hauled. Dorfs shop owners werent very aggressive with stocking their shops. And Dorfs themselves werent very active about shopping in shops. It was over all to hard to predict a rooms rent price. So it was possible to have a fort with plenty of rooms but most dorfs sleeping in the hallways.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:49 am »

I mean, once the coin is made it disappears and the value of your fortress money goes up by one. Like in some games, where you collect money, and it says how much gold you have. You don't actually have an item sprite or value or anything for that, it is just represented by a number that can be brought higher or lower by the game, and that number dictates certain things. (Such as, can you buy this)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:00:11 pm »

I thought this was an interesting thread regarding an economy: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139082.0

But I like the current barter system and I think metal is more valuable to beautify your fortress than to use as a trade good. Perhaps some merchants in the future will demand transactions in coin or something

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »

You can still mint coins. You shouldn't though. Not because Dorfs can't use them. They certainty can.

No, thanks to the disabled economy, coins are not used for anything. They're just another way to store your metal (has no quality and melts down for 1,1 bars for each 500-stack of coins). Dwarfs do not acquire or own coins any more. I've coined hundreds of thousands, and they all sit unused in bins forever (or in the forge, if i can't be bothered to move them).

Re-implementing a coin-using economy would still have to tackle re-stacking of coins, that's true. Currently, you can only un-stack items, and they'll stay unstacked permanently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16:12 pm »

You can still mint coins. You shouldn't though. Not because Dorfs can't use them. They certainty can. But it has to do with the Stacking Issue, that DF still hasn't resolved. What happens, is that individual coins are struck, then they get stack into groups of coins.

And stacking, and counting, and moving coins become Hauling nightmare. Which then bogs down the game with useless jobs, and due to the explosion in Item Count, also bogs down FPS. (Remember kids, its Item Count and Reveal Tiles that slow DF down.)

As for knowing your Fortress Wealth, that in the 'z' menu but you'll need a Broker with the Appraise skill to and exacting inventories to know for certain. Though thats for every item inside your Fortress, not just crafted items sitting in Stockpiles.

To be fair, those first two paragraphs haven't been true since the economy was disabled 4 years ago.