Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Gen Q's, MW style  (Read 2542 times)

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen Q's, MW style
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:02 pm »

Alright so, this may on the surface seem to be mostly a vanilla Q, but since I'm playing MW with all the extra civs (except automatons and gnomes.. ew.. gnomes..) I figured I'd ask here.

Been genning medium size non-island worlds (my preferred size); cranked up civilizations to 100, but also upped megabeasts to 75 and semi-megabeasts to 200, Titans to 48... I also have world gen set to end after 50% of megabeasts are killed, and to start checking that at year 100. Despite the huge number of beasts for the map size, it always ends up ending at 100 (I have the world gen length set to 300 years, not 100 years). Is it because of the high number of civilizations that my megabeasts always end up getting slaughtered so quickly? Should I up the number of beasts further to get more? I keep hoping to have an age of myth a couple of centuries in length, but usually by year 100 Ive hit age of heroes -_-
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Q's, MW style
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:18:33 pm »

Make sure you also up the number of caves, or your megabeasts are going to be left in the open for slaughter. I gen my worlds with similar megabeast numbers, but also up the cave numbers to 20 mountain caves and 40 nonmountain. That should help.

It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »

100 civilizations is way more than I'd ever consider for a large world and is probably why they die so quickly.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:22:05 pm »

Make sure you also up the number of caves, or your megabeasts are going to be left in the open for slaughter. I gen my worlds with similar megabeast numbers, but also up the cave numbers to 20 mountain caves and 40 nonmountain. That should help.

I do up the caves, but probably not high enough for the number of beasts. I did not actually know that the beasts lived in the generated caves.. good to k now for future gens!

100 civilizations is way more than I'd ever consider for a large world and is probably why they die so quickly.

I saw in another post that its a good way to make sure you have lots of enemies to deal with; I could probably drop it down.
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:24 pm »

hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread for my question(s), but its related to the topic and i didn't find a satisfying answer with my forum & manual search thus far.

i haver never played masterwork dwarf fortress before, not because i didn't had any interest but out of respect (still pretty much novice with vanilla DF). now i would like to jump into a masterwork session and i would like to know if i can use the standard (normal / simple) world genraton or do i really have to use the advanced world generation (because maybe then not all features would be in the game). i love the random generated aspect of the game and a pre-generated map would lose that aspect (they also seem rather small).

i never touched advanced world generation and i would really love to have a game as humans with all the masterwork features included :).

thanks in advance^^!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:04 am »

Standard (or your own favorite custom) gen is fine.  Turn up number of civs.

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:05:37 am »

Standard (or your own favorite custom) gen is fine.  Turn up number of civs.

thank you very much, in the manual it was "recommended" to use the advanced options but i am more comfortable with the standard world gen.

also another thing, a little offtopic i fear, how do i chose the civ i wanna play? do i have to activate ONE civ in the launcher or can i activate more and then chose the one i want ingame (i've done the ladder but my game crashed, that might also be the answer to my question).

and my last comment, i plan on playing the humans and you have to build houses outside. now the got this debuff if they are inside the caves, duo to the engine does inside a house with a roof also mean debuff (short line, can i build houses with roofs e.g. with several floors without penalty)? in the manual its written that you will run out of room for houses quite quickly, but if you can build several floors then that would be a semi-solution i think.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:43:13 am »

Multi civs is fine.

Any tile that has ever been exposed to the sun is outside.  Roofs are fine and probably required for some furniture.

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:37 am »

thank you very much!

let me exploit you one last time, how can i select the civ i wanna play. lets say i have activated dwarves and humans to be able to play. after selecting the embark site it tells me in the next screen as one of the available embark sets that i have to select the civ in the previous screen, but i don't know where i can select them. where i could usually select my civ in vanilla DF it shows only one entry "the crazy one" for example.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:43:40 am »

To select the civ, from the world map, use 'TAB' until you get a list of available civs (you can scroll through it with + and -). That screen is just after the neighbours, which will have your civ at the top.

So cycle through available civs, and check what race it is until you get what you want. It uses TAB a lot, but that's how.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:28:27 am »

To select the civ, from the world map, use 'TAB' until you get a list of available civs (you can scroll through it with + and -). That screen is just after the neighbours, which will have your civ at the top.

So cycle through available civs, and check what race it is until you get what you want. It uses TAB a lot, but that's how.

like i said, the page titled "your civilization" lists only ONE name ("the crazy one" for example), the only other list of civilizations is on the neighbours list. i really see no option to chose my civ :/.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:32 am »

Well, the tab right after the neighbours is the only place, really.

By any chance, did you gen the world before enabling the civ you wanted from the launcher?
Because if the civ appears in the neighbours list but not on the next tab, it should mean that it is not playable.

If you want, I can take a few screenshots of my world gen (with all civs put to playable).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

mageprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:36 am »

Hello Forum Nubblite here! As some mentioned before I have no idea where to post this so here it goes.  Im getting some major crash issues when Genning a world on dwarf fortress Even using LAA DF seems to crash almost everytime i generate a world which is odd mind you because this seems to be an issue with the newer updates? not entirely sure whats going on but i haven't been able to play the last three to four versions of MDF.

here is the log file
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some System+DF Info...
Winx64 8 GB ram
Quad threads Dual core
Default embark settings except Aquifers are gone

I have tried every fix i can think of but genning for me at least any world over say small or pocket is completely hopeless

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:27:46 am »

Small or pocket? Did you try the named presets in the advanced worldgen?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »

after neighbours comes "your civilization" which shows at my current worldgen 2 names, i guess there are the available races hidden, sadly i can't always make out which race is behind which civ name^^.

i also have some errors (red text) in the console screen which opens with the start of dwarf fortress:

i also have an occasional crash, the last one i just had as i wanted to accept the generated world (standard worldgen, dwarves + humans + warlocks activated as playable, midum size, high civ number):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hope you can use this infos somehow.
Pages: [1] 2