Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Gen Q's, MW style  (Read 2541 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: World Gen Q's, MW style
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »

Xerberus: Thanks for the detailed report. The dfhack errors are harmless... and luckily I can read German, for your Problemsignatur. ;) Unfortunately it doesnt really help with finding a source for crashes...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

it just crashes occasionally, i am a complete noob with masterwork (still quite dabbling with vanilla DF), so i might have done some mistakes with the settings.

here are my master DF launcher settings:

other than these changes i just disabled aquifer and enabled warlocks, dwarves and humans to be played. if i can give you any other file or info please tell me.

the crashes, from what short time i have tried it out, aren't often and only seem to occur while accepting worldgen or saving (exiting) the game. so it seems related to saving in general, but i have no modding, let alone programming, knowledge so my guess is as good as nothing^^.

really love the amount of effort you have put into this mod, both in terms of meaningful gameplay additions, documentary and visual style (launcher, manual, forum thread graphics). they are really done well :). (if at some point you sell t-shirts with those graphics / visuals and ship them to germany then let me know^^).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:30:27 pm by Xerberus »

mageprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 01:08:38 am »

Both if your referring to me meph

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 06:29:51 am »

Hi, this is the topic I was searching for :)

I finally decided to delve deep in this indeed masterwork work created by Meph, and there is basically one single barrier in front of me.
I love the world creation at the start of a game, and I'd like to create a medium sized region for my MDF playthrough.

Now, I studied the presets (from the gui) a little and noticed there're a lot of differences between some of them (for example between the pregenerated worlds and the standard regions\islands\...)

SO..I need your help to be able to create a proper world for MDF :)
I think I can figure out some of the data myself (for example the cavern&layers tab) but I need some info on the leftside and rightside tabs.
Maybe a screen with the "right" values would be better. Then I'll have to chose the medium region inthe adv world gen and that's all?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:33:52 am by Gatallorsith »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 06:57:48 am »

If you know what you are doing (or what you want), Perfect World (in the utilities) can help you craft your world just as you want it.

If not, then remember that a MW world is basically the same as a vanilla one, with a lot more civs (a lot of them requiring neutral lands).
That means that you might have to bump the number of civs (maybe not on medium/big), but most importantly, you will have to lower the Good and Bad area by a fair bit (reduce the third number to 200 or 300 and it might do).
Caverns should be left to 3 (the mod changes them quite a bit for progression).
End year might need to be lowered to prevent too many civs from going extinct (it takes ages to gen 1050 years anyway).
Pop cap, I'm not certain, but with a short End year, it should not really matter.

For the rest, it's pretty much up to you (embark points, mineral scarcity, cavern&layers, hostiles&interactions).

I strongly suggest going with the non-vanilla presets, but when you know what you want, Perfect World really is the tool to make your ideal preset/world.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:04 am »

Uhm..ok here is what I came up with. (I used PF in the past but I'd have to study it again and I have a lot to read already :))
Explanation on parameters here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Advanced_world_generation#Desired_Good.2FEvil_Square_Counts

I basically took many of the values of the "DIVERSE(many biomes)" preset and doubled them (since it's a small-->medium size transition)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:38:25 am by Gatallorsith »

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 06:22:56 pm »

I setup the worldgen to end early whenever 55% of starting megabeasts were dead.
Ended up like this, year 161 with all the 16 races I selected present. I guess it's ok (?)

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 06:33:52 pm »

Ok final result of the experiment: using 3x the values of the small pregenerated worlds (see image below) on the medium region I usually hit the 50% dead megabeasts around 230-240 years on average. So I'd say we need (as you would expect) 4x those values to hit the 300 years average. World seems perfectly fine.
You can do the same for the other small\medium\large presets, scaling accordingly.

@Meph: if you think it can be useful to default those presets to new values (in the next version of mdf) to better integrate with mdf I will make more tests and then share my profile here :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 06:29:40 am »

New worldgens are always welcome. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kartag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 12:30:31 pm »

sadly i can't always make out which race is behind which civ
Use Legends Viewer. Export all the needed files from legends mode, and load them in Legends Viewer. Or you can use this trick: choose a civilization, then move the cursor to somewhere like middle of the ocean or mountain peak. Switch to neighbors tab. There will be one race, this is your civ's name. Rinse, repeat, until you find desired race.

Question: in vanilla world gens the caverns are not like in MW world gens. They resemble vanilla caves, but they are much emptier, even the moss is hard to find. Is there a way to make Masterwork caves in vanilla world gens? Also, how do I make a cavern surface more flat, but the cavern itself higher? I'm tired of scrolling ten Z-levels just to follow my military on their way to taking out FB's.

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »

I made it so that everyone can have easy access to medium and even large worlds with the right setup for MDF.
I've seen you made an exceptional work balancing and cleaning the mod in all the last versions, and it shows in the GUI :)

In the next version, if you want, you can use these values as defaults and write in the manual you can safely use them for MDF and for 300 years or so.
What happens with the actual values? The problem is that the "50% megabeasts dead" event happens between 50 and 100 years in the small region\island and a little more on the larger couterparts (large world average is at 100 years), and the way the "check for megabeasts" are right now there's a pretty high chance you end up to the end year with little to no begabeasts left.
Oh and I've adjusted the cavern values to have actual caverns (and more FPS) and not the usual mazes.

I also corrected some of the pregenerated worlds, for example I modified "desert-volcanos" form this:
...to this:

..and everywhere I tested the "end year" wasn't right. Other than that I tried not to touch the pregenerated worlds too much.
This is my profile, feel free to use it: https://mega.co.nz/#!q0tkhAgJ!IOxx9Axd2FqFpd2RdRi3c5xLm6TAF73udMzxm0hH_CY

Other than that maybe you could add another option in your GUI: the "stop when the dead megabeasts percentage reach this value". Its DF default is 80%, but maybe it would be cool to place it at 50% default. That way it's very possible for the player to experience the "world's age" transition form Legends to Heroes himself. :)
Oh and set the "year to begin the check at 100" as the default, or nothing is going to be checked (even with the actual values and the 80% threshold)

PS:
- I didn't touch the "ALL" profile (I don't know how and if it scales), but it seems it automatically copied the "large island" setup. Feel free to adjust it.
- Didn't touch the pocket worlds.
- GEOMAGIC is the only map that kept crashing on me, there's probably something wrong.
- It took ages to test the large worlds. There are a lot of rejections but it should work sooner or later. the map was so huge that 40 civilizations were too few and hardly meet each other in 300 years. Hence I've set them at 80 (double the amount of the medium region) and placed the end year at 400, but I've not tested it.
(just out of curiosity, take a look at the civs of the large world :D)

bye
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:10:50 pm by Gatallorsith »
Pages: 1 [2]