Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove the physical stat cap  (Read 1065 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Remove the physical stat cap
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

Right now, the most strength you can give a creature is, like, 5000. I know that by that point you are definitely getting into supernatural levels of physical prowess, probably quite a while ago too, but hey maybe I want to make a human-sized creature so strong she can punch through adamantium plate? Or maybe you want to make a regular sized bunny, albeit a voracious and carnivorous one capable of wiping out an entire legion of dwarves? Either way, I feel like 5000 is definately too restrictive a cap, especially when you also consider syndromes.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
Re: Remove the physical stat cap
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:27 pm »

+1, for great science! :D

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:41 pm »

is there any particular reason that cap exists in the first place? 
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:10 pm »

To stop things getting out of hand in procedurally generated creatures, I think.

A solid slade FB with eight million strength is not something anyone can handle.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:53 pm »

A solid slade FB with eight million strength is not something anyone can handle.
Unless by "anyone" you include "a single falling featherwood floor tile" in which case no problem.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:31:31 pm »

fair enough but surely the FB generation can be written in such a way that it has its own limit? 
Anyway I see no reason why people shouldn't be able to mod in whatever crazy overpowered creatures they want
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:31 pm »

Yeah, that's certainly very reasonable. Toady may change the cap in the future, but for now it doesn't look like something urgent.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »

It seems like adding explicitly supernatural effects would better model what you want.  The physical parameters are used in a variety of calculations, and allowing the values to go higher than 5000 could break the existing models and formulas.  Right now, jacking up the attack speed and movement speed comes close to what you want, maybe some kind of supernatural force multiplier would cover the rest of the cases? (similar to how were-creatures have special weaknesses)
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:34 am »

What would it "break?" I would hope that most abstract math for physics already uses floats, not integers, etc. And the game seems quite robust already to very extreme physics, such as carts going faster than 1 tile per tick.

Sure, they might teleport through a wall as a result, but the game doesn't crash. *shrug*
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:45 am »

I'd note that interactions can increase the stats higher than that arbitrarily cap.
._.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:45 am »

It wouldn't literally cause a crash, but you would get really weird/impossible cases, sorta like what the RNG spits out occasionally already, but all the time.  So like the over strength creature would cause things to burst into gore every time it attacked, or would move too quickly and collide into walls.  Though actually that is kind of what Robosaur wants isn't it?  Over the top exaggerated effects? Hmm... let me think on it.  I might still be able to come up with a case where the calculation becomes nonsensical.

I'd note that interactions can increase the stats higher than that arbitrarily cap.
They can?  Then I guess Robosaur already has what he wants.  He can just add a interaction that triggers automatically to boost the stats.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:25:56 am »

They can?  Then I guess Robosaur already has what he wants.  He can just add a interaction that triggers automatically to boost the stats.

That'd be great, but it doesn't apply during worldgen, and I'm finicky like that. Having a force multiplier for attacks similar to what supernatural creatures have for defense would be great and all, but there's still cases where pure strength is needed, like grappling, hauling, and throwing.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.